Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

361 Days to Cheltenham 2022....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Nicky got him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'm sure some here are old enough to remember when you could barely buy an irish winner at Cheltenham, they were that rare. When galmoy did the 3 in a row in the stayers, i think he was sole irish winner a couple of those years. These things can go in cycles so you cant take anything for granted. But irish racing does look in a strong position right now, the hit after the 2008 crash didn't seem to have the long term negative impacts many feared.

Edit: just the two it was for galmoy, in fact. My bad there.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

I’m just happy (maybe more relieved) at the amount of winners we had that weren’t Giggenstown horses. Think the impact of them leaving the sport won’t be as bad as some of us thought when the news was released.

And some news just broke today...

https://twitter.com/RacingTV/status/1373593978864611328?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Kilcruit will go further imo. Tony Mullins already on record before the bumper saying he's a Ballymore/AB horse.

Already started chipping away at a Ferny Hollow Arkle/ Honeysuckle Champion Hurdle double.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Where does French Aseel go?

• Advertisement

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Where does French Aseel go?

Looking forward to seeing him again. Winner over a mile on flat, so think supreme obvious festival target.

Also agree on kilcruit over longer distance above. Not convinced if he met sir gerhard under similar conditions that result would be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭famagusta

Looking forward to seeing him again. Winner over a mile on flat, so think supreme obvious festival target.

He's not a novice

famagusta wrote: »
    He's not a novice

Yeah, total brain fade on my part! I guess champion is a possibility if he's up to that level but impossible to say yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

wertyu12 wrote: »
    Kilcruit in the supreme, ferny in the CH & Bob in the Marsh.
    Did I see quotes from Willie this week about there likely targets for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Would you be concerned tho about the Brit performance at Cheltenham? Is the flat racing now king in the UK ! Soon there will be no point in having a Prestbury cup
    Lack of competition is never good in any sport. It’s up to BHA to get their house in order.
    They’re more concerned with the image of racing than it’s competitiveness.
    Their “top” trainers spend the Winter trying to avoid it each other. That’s not an option here. They need to streamline their calendar to make it more competitive.
    They have too much low grade racing which is great for bookmakers but is killing there national hunt scene.
    I can see what you’re saying about flat racing but we’ve an equally strong flat calendar here and it doesn’t seem to affect National hunt.
    I think the big change over last twenty years is economics. The best store horses here are no longer sold across the water, they are retained here. Long may it continue.
    The immediate future looks grim judging on results of supreme Ballymore and Albert Bartlet. That’s where chasers of tomorrow are coming from.
    They were quick enough to jump on Irish racing governance in the run up to Cheltenham- lets see how they react to an absolute drubbing in Prestbury Cup. They either change or become an irrelevance. I’ve little sympathy for them imo they’ve been asleep at the wheel for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Captain Becher

I think many of the British trainers have given up on Cheltenham and are keeping their horses back for Aintree and even Ayr where there is still good money on offer and far fewer Irish raiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Toetohand wrote: »
    Did I see quotes from Willie this week about there likely targets for next year?

Even so, it can all change. Appreciate It was always seen as a Ballymore and even a Bartlett horse and we all see how that turned out.

Bob for the Marsh is almost a guarantee I'd say. And I hope Ferny Hollow is sent chasing. If he takes the fences and hasn't lost anything to injury he's going to make a joke of the 2 mile to 2.5m division.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

Ayr where there is still good money on offer and far fewer Irish raiders.

All well and good until Stuart Crawford goes over to land a touch with a couple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

"piplip87 wrote: »
    Theres an opportunity there to really make Ireland the home of National Hunt Racing.

I'd say it already is tbh

Bob olinger for the marsh and Monkfish for the gold cup 30/1 will tip away at that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

Anybody know what happened to Getabird seems to fallen completely of the radar ?

piplip87 wrote: »
    Anybody know what happened to Getabird seems to fallen completely of the radar ?

I noticed that last week when flicking through the horse tracker. Seemingly very fragile and hard to get right after injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Ferny Hollow for the arkle at 14s, might tip away at that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

I would have thought Ferny Hollow would go CH route ?
    Willie needs new blood for that race, Concertista could also go there I suppose

gazza1 wrote: »
    I would have thought Ferny Hollow would go CH route ?
    Willie needs new blood for that race, Concertista could also go there I suppose

I hope not. It'd be some waste. The fact Chacun flopped as well must mean Willie will have a few more sleepless nights about winning the CC. I know he has Energumene but I still feel like the Ryanair is the trip it wants. Unless James Du Berlais is **** hot ever a fence he needs to look somewhere else and Ferny might be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

He wins what he wants
    He wins what we wants
    Ferny Hollow
    He wins what he wants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Starting early this year with the antipost bets.

Ferny Hollow Arkle 14/1
    Thyme Hill Stayers 12/1
    Gallaird Du Mesnil RSA 33/1

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

piplip87 wrote: »
    Any word on who is getting Jonbon ?

Entered at Newbury this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Doing 2 antepost bets so for Cheltenham 22. No more till November at earliest. And sure can keep me dreaming over the summer months!!!

Jonbon 20/1 Supreme. (Running today at Newbury. Hope he lives up to the hype / price tag and sur the brother wasn’t too bad!).

Galopin des champs 25/1 (Brown advisory). He is shorter in the betting for the Marsh, but good judge Gavin Lynch (upping the ante) has put him up for this race (along with Vanillier).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Doing 2 antepost bets so for Cheltenham 22. No more till November at earliest. And sure can keep me dreaming over the summer months!!!

Jonbon 20/1 Supreme. (Running today at Newbury. Hope he lives up to the hype / price tag and sur the brother wasn’t too bad!).

Galopin des champs 25/1 (Brown advisory). He is shorter in the betting for the Marsh, but good judge Gavin Lynch (upping the ante) has put him up for this race (along with Vanillier).

Jon Bon won

Kilcruit will go Supreme, Sir Gerhard Ballymore I'd bet.
    Ya reckon?

I'd have thought the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Ya reckon?

I'd have thought the opposite.

Would reckon sir gerhard is going supreme kilcruit ballymore ( I backed Henry’s journey with me for ballymore)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gazboh17

stretchaq wrote: »
    Would reckon sir gerhard is going supreme kilcruit ballymore ( I backed Henry’s journey with me for ballymore)

Hopefully have backed Sir Gerhard at 20/1 for supreme & Kilcruit at 14/1 for the Ballymore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I would be very surprised if kilcruit went supreme. I'd even go as far as to say the AB more likely than the supreme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Just had a look there, I take it these were backed before the bumper? You'd be mad backing them at the current prices of 5s/6s a year out.

I think Tony Mullins was saying the further the better for Kilcruit so Ballymore/AB but we all know what Willie is like.

Advertisement