Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Jim Cornette Meltdown Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Shouldn't this thread be renamed 'the Jim Cornette "crazy ****e this week" thread' or else the 'Miro meltdown thread'?

At the end of the day Miro is the one that acted out of character. Jimbo is just being his usual jerky self. What he's saying about Miro and Penelope is nothing compared to the usual abuse he doles out to AEW folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭hynesie08

52 minutes on Miro........ I have opened a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Even if it's reasonable to think, I wouldn't give him the satisfaction that Sabian did by saying he wishes he was dead. Cornette probably rubbed his hands in delight hearing that, he's that petty.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    52 minutes on Miro........ I have opened a beer.

It's eh, uneven. :pac: Brian's interjections were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's eh, uneven. :pac: Brian's interjections were good.

Just finished it, he definitely draws out the rant but of course the miriam thing will catch on.

The Brian last bit was fantastic, yes he's probably as guilty of hypocrisy as the rest of them, but I loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Love me some Jim Cornette. The best thing left in modern wrestling, and the only guy that can get real heat these days. I also love the fact that he's the best living legendary manager, so his words carry weight despite the 'He's irrelevant' mob.

I loved him skewering the exploding ring Tony Khan's wet fart, and his rant towards Miro was quality too. Brian Last deserves a mention also as his knowledge is extraordinary, and his laughter when he cracks up is hysterical. Best podcast going for its mix of common sense, insight and entertainment.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Straight off the bat, Cornette gives the best advice, if someone p!sses you off on twitter, block them.
    I enjoy his little rants from time to time, not every week mind. He's not to everyone's taste, but he is entertaining.
    Cornette got a buzz out of getting all the heat, that's his deal. The more the wrestlers react to his rants, the more relevant he becomes, or stays.
    However skewed or baseless his views are, he's still entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Only comment I'll make on this.

But if you like old school, detailed wrestling breakdowns that isn't from someone just s***ing on modern wrestling or whose entire thing is just one big grift then Lance Storm is your guy. Tries to bring guys up rather than tearing them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I thought it was one of Cornette's better rants in a while before it dragged on way too long

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭jface187

I listen to Cornette clips on Youtube on the subjects I find Jim's to have knowledge on. Like his time working in the WWE and wrestling past.

I avoid any of the AEW talks. You don't like the show we get it and his attempts at being witty, lame. "Kenny Twinkle" toes wow, Kenny must cry himself to sleep at night after that.

I listen to a bit of the Miro stuff as I found him talking about Ryback funny and this would be something like that.

I turned it off after 15 minutes when Jim started off on his Penelope Ford jokes.
    It felt so sad and outdated him calling her a Sl*t. I mean so pathetic that he thinks the way to get at a woman is to call her that and then did all these old lame sl*ts jokes which around when I was a kid twenty years ago.

Put me off the show a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

jface187 wrote: »
    I listen to Cornette clips on Youtube on the subjects I find Jim's to have knowledge on. Like his time working in the WWE and wrestling past.

I avoid any of the AEW talks. You don't like the show we get it and his attempts at being witty, lame. "Kenny Twinkle" toes wow, Kenny must cry himself to sleep at night after that.

I listen to a bit of the Miro stuff as I found him talking about Ryback funny and this would be something like that.

I turned it off after 15 minutes when Jim started off on his Penelope Ford jokes.
    It felt so sad and outdated him calling her a Sl*t. I mean so pathetic that he thinks the way to get at a woman is to call her that and then did all these old lame sl*ts jokes which around when I was a kid twenty years ago.

Put me off the show a bit.

I could be wrong now but in the video I was watching where Cornette explained himself, I think his defence was "I was referring to her gimmick" as opposed to literally calling her that name.

He gave examples of how AEW played upon her break up with Janela and the wedding dress she was wearing during the segment. I'm not saying Cornette is correct but I'd be curious if someone could explain Ford's gimmick different to Cornette's interpretation.

Using Scarlett in NXT as a comparison, I could actually explain what her gimmick is. I couldn't tell you Ford's, and maybe that's why Cornette is using it as a handy "out".

Yeah at first he was talking about her "gimmick" in AEW, but when Ford called him out he went into the S*ut shaming stuff, at least that's the way it came off to me.

In terms of her gimmick in AEW, I don't really know. She is Kip real-life and on-screen girlfriend and that seems to be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭savemejebus

jface187 wrote: »
    Yeah at first he was talking about her "gimmick" in AEW, but when Ford called him out he went into the S*ut shaming stuff, at least that's the way it came off to me.

In terms of her gimmick in AEW, I don't really know. She is Kip real-life and on-screen girlfriend and that seems to be it.

To be fair, he went full on into insulting her only after she slut shamed his wife to try to get at him.

Yeah, it's a fair point. I just find Jim trying to be funny so out of touch and lame on these type of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

He doesn't seem to be able to take a moment to consider what he's saying. Often I've found he would say something which he knew was ****ed up, as there would be a brief pause or awkward silence before he'd carry on with the rant rather than admitting he stepped over the line and apologize.

Brian Last at least tries to hold him to account at times and pull him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

There's no doubt he dramatises his opinions but I've honestly never really listened to him and thought "He's just made that up for the sake of being controversial."

I think his opinions on wrestlers are sincere. I don't think he picks on wrestlers for the sake of it. I mean, Darby Allin is ripe for being picked on. When Cornette first saw him he thought he was just a feckless skateboarder but he has come around to liking him.

He loved MJF a year ago but has since started to sour on him.

Not too long ago he was actually making excuses for Cody but recently admitted that he's starting to see The Great Brian Last's side of things regarding him.

He liked Britt Baker and wanted her pushed, and to be the face of the women's division, long before everyone else but soured on her when she was involved in that horsesh*t Tooth and Nail fiasco.

He doesn't seem to be able to take a moment to consider what he's saying. Often I've found he would say something which he knew was ****ed up, as there would be a brief pause or awkward silence before he'd carry on with the rant rather than admitting he stepped over the line and apologize.

Brian Last at least tries to hold him to account at times and pull him up.

This is definitely one of his major faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sirsok

His take on the Bliss and Orton match featuring swamp fire boy was quite good and I find myself agreeing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Jim Cornette should not be taken seriously. He carries on like he has all these strong convictions but he's a complete hypocrite.

He disowns anyone who is a Republican/Conservative or Trump voter. Such as Jericho and Davey Boy Jr.

But then he licks the hole off Stone Cold who is a big 2A guy, along with Undertaker. And Cornette is buddy buddy with JBL. Figure that out?

And while I agree with Cornette that the Fiend stuff and AEW in general is a complete embarrassment, if you look through some of the things Cornette booked in his career, he's in no position to throw stones.

Also, Cornette is a slob. He constantly waddles around dressed in tracky bottoms and a t shirt with his own face on it, and then makes comments about how others look.

sirmanga wrote: »
    Jim Cornette should not be taken seriously. He carries on like he has all these strong convictions but he's a complete hypocrite.

He disowns anyone who is a Republican/Conservative or Trump voter. Such as Jericho and Davey Boy Jr.

But then he licks the hole off Stone Cold who is a big 2A guy, along with Undertaker. And Cornette is buddy buddy with JBL. Figure that out?

And while I agree with Cornette that the Fiend stuff and AEW in general is a complete embarrassment, if you look through some of the things Cornette booked in his career, he's in no position to throw stones.

Also, Cornette is a slob. He constantly waddles around dressed in tracky bottoms and a t shirt with his own face on it, and then makes comments about how others look.

Definitely interested to hear how AEW is an embarrassment..

Definitely interested to hear how AEW is an embarrassment..

AEW is a ludicrous, goofball, no-sell clown show.

• Advertisement

AEW is a ludicrous, goofball, no-sell clown show.

I actually don't even know where to start with this.

Ludicrous - if you can find me a more cohesively booked, fan rewarding company on this planet not named Dragon Gate then please tell me what it is so I can add it into my rotation because, right now, I don't know what it is.

Goofball - Coincidentally, if you can point me to any mainstream company or territory in the literal entire history of documented pro wrestling that isn't RINGS or Pancrase that doesn't have comedy please point it out to me. All wrestling, literally ever, has elements of comedy in it. Once the comedy doesn't inhibit the main event scene you're fine. And when it comes to telling serious stories where it matters, few do it as well today as AEW.

No Sell - one of those dumb Cornette lines his followers wheel out. People who do not watch pro wrestling. If you tell me you don't like modern pro wrestling then OK, that I can't argue with. But if you're telling me that the top guys in AEW can't or won't sell then I'm sorry, your opinion on modern wrestling is invalidated. In a company with Omega and The Young Bucks, I'd easily say among the top 10 sellers on the planet, and guys with Jungle Boy, Darby Allin who are tremendous sellers. That's a straight up no.

Clown show - A company that not only pays homage to old territory stories, and infuses them with a modern ring style, but also one where the odd time they've stepped beyond the realms of what pro wrestling should be, they've stepped back on it.

So no, anyone with any semblance of knowledge of pro wrestling history and who has watched modern pro wrestling can see that take is off.

I actually don't even know where to start with this.

Ludicrous - if you can find me a more cohesively booked, fan rewarding company on this planet not named Dragon Gate then please tell me what it is so I can add it into my rotation because, right now, I don't know what it is.

Goofball - Coincidentally, if you can point me to any mainstream company or territory in the literal entire history of documented pro wrestling that isn't RINGS or Pancrase that doesn't have comedy please point it out to me. All wrestling, literally ever, has elements of comedy in it. Once the comedy doesn't inhibit the main event scene you're fine. And when it comes to telling serious stories where it matters, few do it as well today as AEW.

No Sell - one of those dumb Cornette lines his followers wheel out. People who do not watch pro wrestling. If you tell me you don't like modern pro wrestling then OK, that I can't argue with. But if you're telling me that the top guys in AEW can't or won't sell then I'm sorry, your opinion on modern wrestling is invalidated. In a company with Omega and The Young Bucks, I'd easily say among the top 10 sellers on the planet, and guys with Jungle Boy, Darby Allin who are tremendous sellers. That's a straight up no.

Clown show - A company that not only pays homage to old territory stories, and infuses them with a modern ring style, but also one where the odd time they've stepped beyond the realms of what pro wrestling should be, they've stepped back on it.

So no, anyone with any semblance of knowledge of pro wrestling history and who has watched modern pro wrestling can see that take is off.

This is the last I'll say on this because it isn't an AEW thread. I've stopped commenting on that thread because it's a waste of time.

But, I'm afraid I gave up reading when you were talking about selling and gave the Bucks as an example.

AEW deserves nothing but condemnation from serious wrestling fans. It brought in someone like Miro and made him a joke. And the best sell job I've seen in their short history was, ironically, Kingston's dead sell from the pussy fart pyro. That pretty much sums up AEW.

This is the last I'll say on this because it isn't an AEW thread. I've stopped commenting on that thread because it's a waste of time.

But, I'm afraid I gave up reading when you were talking about selling and gave the Bucks as an example.

AEW deserves nothing but condemnation from serious wrestling fans. It brought in someone like Miro and made him a joke. And the best sell job I've seen in their short history was, ironically, Kingston's dead sell from the pussy fart pyro. That pretty much sums up AEW.

This ties into the Cornette people stuff so I'm gonna continue.

Name me like 5 acts in current pro wrestling who are better sellers than The Young Bucks (who, aside from being the most dynamic tag team of their generation are, by a distance, the babyface in peril/hot tag, team I've seen in real time in my lifetime.

While I'm here, what serious wrestling do you watch btw?

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1367283114951790592

imk14pzhyon61.gif

Screen-Shot-2021-03-11-at-12.40.12-AM-1200x628.jpg

And that's just the last few weeks from two of the top guys. Selling in AEW is clearly extremely inconsistent.

While I'm here, what serious wrestling do you watch btw?

I'm no great WWE mark, but AEW haven't even reached 1 millionth of the seriousness and drama that the Roman Reigns heel character has given us. Watching his work and anything in AEW is like night and day.

Everything with Reigns hasn't been perfect but it's been done well often enough that I can buy it. Reigns is a serious professional, to quote Bret Hart. AEW comes across like cliquey, in joke laden student film in comparison.

Anyway, that's all I'll say on that. Back to Cornette. (Who I think is a real phoney BTW)

I'm no great WWE mark, but AEW haven't even reached 1 millionth of the seriousness and drama that the Roman Reigns heel character has given us. Watching his work and anything in AEW is like night and day.

Everything with Reigns hasn't been perfect but it's been done well often enough that I can buy it. Reigns is a serious professional, to quote Bret Hart. AEW comes across like cliquey, in joke laden student film in comparison.

Anyway, that's all I'll say on that. Back to Cornette. (Who I think is a real phoney BTW)

Seriously, WWE? I was legit expecting to enter into a debate about the seriousness of the top of the card stuff in NOAH in comparison to AEW but you've given me WWE as your example of the serious promotion?? Nah dude, I'm out.

J. Marston wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1367283114951790592

imk14pzhyon61.gif

Screen-Shot-2021-03-11-at-12.40.12-AM-1200x628.jpg

And that's just the last few weeks from two of the top guys. Selling in AEW is clearly extremely inconsistent.

It's called a flash pin dude. Common finish you'll see in literally every wrestling company on earth, sometimes multiple times on the same card.

Speaking of inconsistencies with selling, by your logic Canadian Destroyer as a transitional move (which, btw, it's been that in pro wrestling for close to 10 years now) = nah AEW guys can't sell. Randy Orton puking up oil and a guy who throws fire and makes lights fall from the ceiling = I see nothing wrong here...

See Marston, this is where we differ. I'm consistent across the 10,000 wrestling companies I watch, and you are not across whatever it is you watch and see in gifs.

It's called a flash pin dude. Common finish you'll see in literally every wrestling company on earth, sometimes multiple times on the same card.

Speaking of inconsistencies with selling, by your logic Canadian Destroyer as a transitional move (which, btw, it's been that in pro wrestling for close to 10 years now) = nah AEW guys can't sell. Randy Orton puking up oil and a guy who throws fire and makes lights fall from the ceiling = I see nothing wrong here...

See Marston, this is where we differ. I'm consistent across the 10,000 wrestling companies I watch, and you are not across whatever it is you watch and see in gifs.

What inconsistency? I'm pretty sure I called the Orton/Bliss/Fiend stuff "pure wrestlecrap".

J. Marston wrote: »
    What inconsistency? I'm pretty sure I called the Orton/Bliss/Fiend stuff "pure wrestlecrap".

So AEW do a flash pin and you're having a go at the whole company.

WWE do their wrestlecrap and yet I don't think I've seen you paint the whole company with a brush because of it.

That's called inconsistency dude.

• Advertisement

So AEW do a flash pin and you're having a go at the whole company.

WWE do their wrestlecrap and yet I don't think I've seen you paint the whole company with a brush because of it.

That's called inconsistency dude.

Sorry, are Drew and Bobby spitting up black goo? Is Roman prancing about pigtails? Nah. How can that nonsense be compared to other solid stuff?

AEW's rocky relationship with selling is ever-present.

Advertisement