Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Other hobbies/Obsessions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭micks_address

That’s amazing Homer! Wish I had the space to play with. Mines a converted garage that’s doubling as home office forever more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jaysus, that's a very nice setup going on there H and Mick's not too shabby either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

THat's brilliant Homer, well done and great attention to detail. I am super jealous, that made my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

WOW that's fantastic Homer :) a nice way to chill out after a long day! Great use of the space. So all around to your house for the next GTG? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

WOW that's fantastic Homer :) a nice way to chill out after a long day! Great use of the space. So all around to your house for the next GTG? ;):D

He has another room full of gimp masks, chains, whips etc... be careful what you wish for :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That is a bloody amazing setup Homer!
    Very, very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Motoring wasn't always seen as an unhealthy means of transport. :)

I've mentioned him before as a publisher of the Irish Cyclist magazine but R. J. Mecredy was also famous as 'the father of Irish motoring'. He was also a lifelong promotor of the health benefits of fresh air and constructed a wood and canvas three-sided living space in the garden of his house in Bray Co. Wicklow in which he slept practically all year round.

In 1909 he published a book called 'Health's Highway' which gave advice on how to stay healthy primarily promoting an outdoor lifestyle. There are lots of interesting references to and illustrations of bicycle tours in Ireland but also quite a lot about motoring which he saw as a way to get out into the countryside in what was then open-top luxury.
    547116.jpg

This shows two pages from the back of the book. Jaeger woolens were very popular and highly recommended by virtually every cycling journal of the time.
    There are other advertisements in the book for Lancia, Dion-Bouton, Rolls Royce, Darracq, Wolseley, Sunbeam, Humber and Daimler motor cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fair play homer, love that !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Well done Homer. Do you mind me asking what type of wood did you use, it's not ash by any chance?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

Walnut on the floor and I got a unit custom built by a cabinet maker in a similar as they had walnut finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think the recessed ceiling makes it look really cool. Serious setup, those seats too. Is there a screen or projector?

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think the recessed ceiling makes it look really cool. Serious setup, those seats too. Is there a screen or projector?

It’s a 4K LED projector so no bulb as you would have in a traditional projector. It’s projected onto an Elite screens 102” fixed screen which has a velour/velvet black surround which makes it look somewhat like a tv screen when it’s on and increases picture contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭micks_address

Homer wrote: »
    It’s a 4K LED projector so no bulb as you would have in a traditional projector. It’s projected onto an Elite screens 102” fixed screen which has a velour/velvet black surround which makes it look somewhat like a tv screen when it’s on and increases picture contrast.

What projector do you use Homer? Ive a benq w2700 which is surprisingly good for the price..

What projector do you use Homer? Ive a benq w2700 which is surprisingly good for the price..

It’s a Viewsonic X100-4K .. was a toss up between that and an Optoma with similar specs but went with the X100-4K on a recommendation from somebody else in the industry that had installed a few. I’m fairly close to you if you ever want to see it in action just drop me a PM

Mrs Banie01 was going through photos on her phone earlier and started laughing her arse off at a comparison photo she'd made of me in my Dredd gear versus Karl Urban as the man himself...

Not a bad grimace on my part even if I do say so myself ;)
    Not up to Urban and his turn as old stoney face, but not a bad attempt.
    Sold most of this on, but kept the helmet and a few custom bits back for posterity.

IMG-20210321-203816-042.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Banie the cosplayer? I would never have imagined...

edit: on the other hand... you can say "I AM the LAW!!!!!!" in your legal class now while wearing the helmet (maybe on a zoom call?) that would be rather amusing...

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Banie the cosplayer? I would never have imagined...

edit: on the other hand... you can say "I AM the LAW!!!!!!" in your legal class now while wearing the helmet (maybe on a zoom call?) that would be rather amusing...

Now that would be an epic way to sign off from constitutional law ;):D

Funnily enough it's one of the reasons I got a 3D printer, easier to print my own parts rather than try to source them elsewhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ahh Joe Dredd(he of Rowdy Yates bloc, with Walter the robot and Maria his scarily stereotype Italian housekeeper :D), my childhood hero in the 70's. No wonder I'm a bit of a fascist today. :p:D Nicely done B and you've nailed the scowl and the chin. Though I'm a traditionalist and prefer the very first design and the first Lawgiver.

4260389-lawgiver1.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

I remember seeing the below on tik tok. 3-d printing is incredible stuff for a big child in all of us.

https://youtu.be/0wN7Y_uRIO8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

My eldest uses hot glue and cardboard to make Star Wars Helmets, and then 3d prints some of the finer detail.

He is currently working on a Boba Fet costume.

• Advertisement

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    My eldest uses hot glue and cardboard to make Star Wars Helmets, and then 3d prints some of the finer detail.

He is currently working on a Boba Fet costume.

Would love to see that when it's done LD!

banie01 wrote: »
    Would love to see that when it's done LD!

Will post a few pics, certainly.

Another recent addition to my cycling ephemera collection.

Gall & Inglis Cycling & Touring Map of 60 Miles South of London C. 1900

547753.JPG

547754.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

What has Fitz and Banie done to me (at least I cleared it with MsThirdfox in advance) - after their gracious offers of help I looked into 3D printing myself and it makes complete sense to get a 3d printer - especially for prototyping watches which are small in size, perfect for consumer grade 3d printers...

China has really made the cost exceedingly low:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001379353984.html - had a look at reviews and this model seems pretty good - $219 for a 3D printer - that's cheap as chips for what I'd be using it for in terms of prototyping bracelets, watch case physical prototyping etc. It was just a few years ago when I recall printers were costing thousands of dollars.

Shipped from Germany too so no import duties - if I even just print one case/bracelet/clasp mockup I'll have saved money (and so much time) compared to using a Chinese quote.

I'm reading this at the moment.
    548167.jpg
    It's a book written by a guy who spent most of his summers in the 1930s touring round Europe by bicycle (he called each of his bikes George I, II & III) and in 1944 was sent on a lecture tour of the UK which he did by bicycle.
    It's a very interesting read giving insights into the public attitudes in Britain at a time just before and after D-Day. Also interesting insights into attitudes towards Éire, deValera, etc.

I'm currently looking forward to the resumption of top level motorcycle racing in the form of the opening round of MotoGP 2021 in the night race at Qatar.

Vroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I'm currently looking forward to the resumption of top level motorcycle racing in the form of the opening round of MotoGP 2021 in the night race at Qatar.

Vroom!

Ditto! Last year was a cracking season. Looking forward to the new breed of riders and bikes battling it out.

I'm looking forward to watching the Paris-Roubaix Classic.

548170.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm looking forward to watching the Paris-Roubaix Classic.

548170.jpg

And Snap again! :D

Between GCN, eurosport subscriptions and then the Dorna video-race pass, you'd be broke!

GCN is fantastic value in fairness - a whole year's racing, thousands of actual races for 20 quid. The motogp by comparison at 140 quid for 17 races is saucy. Both excellent though. Truly comprehensive coverage.

Do you find either sport influencing your watches? I always wanted a Festina because of the cycling but never actually bought one. Same for MotoGP and Tissot. And BMC had a Tag Heuer link up for a season. Didn't buy one of those either :)

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    Do you find either sport influencing your watches? I always wanted a Festina because of the cycling but never actually bought one. Same for MotoGP and Tissot. And BMC had a Tag Heuer link up for a season. Didn't buy one of those either :)

No, sport doesn't influence my watch buying except negatively. David Beckham puts me off Tudor.

Advertisement