Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭tb66

Rang twice in last week,first time was offered 1/2 for 6 mths, second time 15 off for 9mths. Told agent I want to cancel, as its too expensive and he didnt argue. He immediately gave speech about returning goods etc.Even had the audacity to ask if I was interested in their mobile sim card offer!!.... Are Virgin actually pushing customers away, cause thats the impression I was getting..Vodafone here I come.

Called on Friday afternoon. After a 5 minute conversation, I was offered an upgrade to gigabit at half price for 6 months. Accepted the offer, router arrived Saturday morning and all switched over within a few mins. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What's the best BB only deal anyone's gotten lately, thinking of dropping their TV altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Basil3 wrote: »
    Called on Friday afternoon. After a 5 minute conversation, I was offered an upgrade to gigabit at half price for 6 months. Accepted the offer, router arrived Saturday morning and all switched over within a few mins. Easy.

How is the 1gig going? It's getting mixed reviews, frequent outages etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

CoBo55 wrote: »

I have a new modem and the 500Mb package.
    It drops 10-15 times a day- and while I can in general get 400Mb+, sometimes it slows right down to 20-30 Mbps (barely usable)
    Ironically, the uplink is a constant 50Mb- regardless of how crap the downlink gets.

Worse at particular times of the day- but by God, it gets bad........

• Advertisement

It drops 10-15 times a day- and while I can in general get 400Mb+, sometimes it slows right down to 20-30 Mbps (barely usable)
    Ironically, the uplink is a constant 50Mb- regardless of how crap the downlink gets.

Think I'll stick with the white hub and my 360, it's running perfectly.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I was having very similar issues when on 360mb package, I got upgraded to 500mb package but opted to keep the old modem, same starting happening with the 500 package so I invested in a Mesh system, stuck the VM Hub into modem mode and I now get between a consistent 400-500Mbps throughout the house and haven’t had any dropouts since last July

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I was having very similar issues when on 360mb package, I got upgraded to 500mb package but opted to keep the old modem, same starting happening with the 500 package so I invested in a Mesh system, stuck the VM Hub into modem mode and I now get between a consistent 400-500Mbps throughout the house and haven’t had any dropouts since last July

I've had mine in modem mode since I got VM maybe that's why mine is trouble free.

CoBo55 wrote: »

Haven't noticed any issues so far. Hope it stays that way!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I've swapped between my OH and myself the last 3 years, might do it again in May or I'll drop TV and just go for BB.

And no Reccord that you previously had an account? Handy for next year!

• Advertisement

And no Reccord that you previously had an account? Handy for next year!

I'm certain there's a record but if they don't play ball on offers then I just swap names.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Just wondering folks

Im on 60 a month Vodafone at Home Siro broadband and TV. Any tips for getting them to knock it a bit (yes i know ring them but maybe some ammunition like "theres deal x elsewhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'm certain there's a record but if they don't play ball on offers then I just swap names.

Just checking - did you call and cancel and reorder or just get them to change from your name to your OH ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

€45 for 9 & €60 for 3 from a current €62.99 monthly bill.........not much loyalty shown by them so'm continuing on to cancelation this weekend after 11 years.

Initially, til I rang just now it'd been €15 off for 6 months only.

Again the offer of an upgrade to 250 Mb despite fact I can't get anywhere approaching their 240 Mb speeds......they keep thinking they're doing me a favour......

Trialing a Vodafone 500 Mb share with neighbours for 2-3 weeks til Easter; then depending on how that dry-run goes we'll stay going & each pay €15 or I'll get my own Fibre to the Cabinet in instead for €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I'm probably not as entitled to a loyalty offer as some in here; anyway the year is up on March 18th, for Full House 500 (TV, Broadband & Phone) had been paying 70 a month for 12 months, going up to 99.

Offered the following:

Keep as is: 84 x 9 Months (15 off) and 3 x 99 (full price)
    Switch to BB only: 85 x 12 months for 1Gb, 70 x 12 months for 500Mb
    Downgrade to BB only: 65 x 12 months for 360Mb, 60 x 12 months for 250 Mb

I enquired about downgrading to the Freedom 250 BB only (60 a month 30 day contract), as SIRO are coming to my building, but no date set in stone. The agent stated it wasn't available on their drop-down, and to ring back when the contract has ran out. Thought that was strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Healio wrote: »
    I'm probably not as entitled to a loyalty offer as some in here; anyway the year is up on March 18th, for Full House 500 (TV, Broadband & Phone) had been paying 70 a month for 12 months, going up to 99.

Offered the following:

Keep as is: 84 x 9 Months (15 off) and 3 x 99 (full price)
    Switch to BB only: 85 x 12 months for 1Gb, 70 x 12 months for 500Mb
    Downgrade to BB only: 65 x 12 months for 360Mb, 60 x 12 months for 250 Mb

I enquired about downgrading to the Freedom 250 BB only (60 a month 30 day contract), as SIRO are coming to my building, but no date set in stone. The agent stated it wasn't available on their drop-down, and to ring back when the contract has ran out. Thought that was strange.

€70 for 12 months 500Mb, that's really expensive.
    Vodafone €30 a month including home phone and calls, Sky €35 a month plus set up fee if you can get them, should be used to bargain with Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

okidoki987 wrote: »
    €70 for 12 months 500Mb, that's really expensive.
    Vodafone €30 a month including home phone and calls, Sky €35 a month plus set up fee if you can get them, should be used to bargain with Virgin.

Virgin have me hostage with only up to 100mb available at the moment in the building with the Non Virgin companies; they probably know this as well.

So VM disconnected me, as agreed, albeit about 12 hours earlier than scheduled.

Checked by bank transactions; the final bill, issued in middle of month & due out a fortnight later, was never taken; so on top of the fortnight of final monthly bill plus a week when will they bill me for this 3 week period and when might they bill me for the normal period?

Have a couple of modems to return to them too; will a full & final settlement be issued to me to include cost of returning the modems?

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    So VM disconnected me, as agreed, albeit about 12 hours earlier than scheduled.

Checked by bank transactions; the final bill, issued in middle of month & due out a fortnight later, was never taken; so on top of the fortnight of final monthly bill plus a week when will they bill me for this 3 week period and when might they bill me for the normal period?

Have a couple of modems to return to them too; will a full & final settlement be issued to me to include cost of returning the modems?

They don't always take equipment back. They either arrange a courier to collect or you dump it, I brought last year's to our local civic amenity site. No idea about the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

They don't always take equipment back. They either arrange a courier to collect or you dump it, I brought last year's to our local civic amenity site. No idea about the bills.

I'd be careful about dumping the equipment as if and when they get round to contacting you, they will charge you if you don't still have it.

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I'd be careful about dumping the equipment as if and when they get round to contacting you, they will charge you if you don't still have it.

I've had to do it last year and the year before as they made no attempt to collect. No issue either time. If the account holder is concerned they should contact VM and let them know their plan for the uncollected equipment.

Update; rang 'em.

They're gonna send me out a box; bit vague.

Said due to Covid it could be April or May by time I get it; must be a big box huh?

Freepost I'm presuming & I simply bring it to post office.

April or May though?

They sent an email to ring a number if I'd changed my mind; said I'd give 'em one last chance; am out of contract & have totally finished with them since Friday night/Saturday 12:06am.........€60.Something a month for 12 months; they really don't want to hold onto customers do they?

Their previous offers were lower for 6-9 months like; now it's broadly the same for 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

How long do you guys usually wait before making a second call? Had a conversation about price and cancellation today and it was very underwhelming.

Last year: 500MB + 100 Channels + Phone - €49.50pm for 6 months, €99 for 6 months

This year offer 1: 500MB + downgrade to 50 channels + phone - €83pm for 9 months, I assume €99pm for 3 then

This year offer 2: Same package as offer 1 - €49 for 6 months, €98 for 6 months

So the best they could offer apparently was the same deal as last year (although I swear I had agreed to 9 months but anyway) but with reduced channels (which to be fair I don't use but shouldn't be paying the premium)

Asked for the 9 months and I'd go with it, said it was the best she could do. I said I'd have to think on it (comparing with the Sky €55 per month new customer deal).

EDIT: Tried the local number earlier and somehow got a much worse offer of the €15 for 9 months and wouldn't budge (despite frequently repeating he didn't want to lose me as a customer), they couldn't even get back to the offer I had earlier somehow, and was going on about the new TV box needing an engineer to install which he could do for free, "saving" me more money. Whole call was honestly bizarre.

EDIT 2: Decided to try one more time via 1908 right before 5pm, and got on to a lovely Limerick woman. Explained the first call to her and went back over the competitor prices again, ended up getting "The Bigger than Big Bundle" with the new TV box for €52 for 9 months, then €104 for last 3 months. Really happy with that. Was tempted to ask for the Gigabit "Beast" bundle with the same deal, but don't really think I need the extra speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

I am currently on the 250mb broadband for 59 euro a month, outside contract.

I rang the 1908 number and asked what offers I could get based on the fact that sky are offering better prices and even their new clients offers are better. They just said best they could do was 5 euro less on the 59 a month. Crazy!

I will try ringing again this week and see what happens.

Regarding cancelling and switching to the other halfs name, since I already have all the hardware does that make it quicker to get it set up again after cancelling my bb account?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shivvs

Just off the phone and got absolutely no joy with them, was offered a €5 discount for 3 months on The broadband 250mb deal. His main argument was make sure you check the speeds with competitors as you won’t beat us. What an offer though €15 off a year contract that just makes me want to leave now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Move to Vodafone (if you can)....double the speed for less than half the price.
    https://onebigswitch.ie/offers/broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Akenny010

I'm On & off the phone all day with Virgin, currently on 500mb broadband & home phone €67.50 a month was out of Contract April 2020 & I kept it rolling.

Looking to update to 1gb & tempted to try tv but the best they could do is offer me 1gb & tv for €56 for 6 months then €112 after that but if I want sky they'd knock €10 off the original price of €40 for that so it'd be €66 then €122 yet new customers can get 1gb & tv for €83 & add Sky Sports or Cinema for €1 extra for 12 months then €112 after which is ridiculous compared to what they're offering me out of contract you would think they'd want to avoid cancellation & rejoining again, I said I wanted to cancel then they offered to knock €30 off Sky Sports but revoked the offer of half price for 6 months.

Other providers are offering me better deals but I tried to see about this new customer offer for myself as I'd take it but they will not budge on it.

My mother told me to Cancel & She'll open a new account in her name to get the deal, what I want to ask is right now I can cancel now with 30 days notice, Can she open an account under her name for the Same address same line etc when I cancel or would we need to wait for the 30 days on my one to be up as I imagine the deal won't be around long?

Thanks

Akenny010 wrote: »
    I'm On & off the phone all day with Virgin, currently on 500mb broadband & home phone €67.50 a month was out of Contract April 2020 & I kept it rolling.

Looking to update to 1gb & tempted to try tv but the best they could do is offer me 1gb & tv for €56 for 6 months then €112 after that but if I want sky they'd knock €10 off the original price of €40 for that so it'd be €66 then €122 yet new customers can get 1gb & tv for €83 & add Sky Sports or Cinema for €1 extra for 12 months then €112 after which is ridiculous compared to what they're offering me out of contract you would think they'd want to avoid cancellation & rejoining again, I said I wanted to cancel then they offered to knock €30 off Sky Sports but revoked the offer of half price for 6 months.

Other providers are offering me better deals but I tried to see about this new customer offer for myself as I'd take it but they will not budge on it.

My mother told me to Cancel & She'll open a new account in her name to get the deal, what I want to ask is right now I can cancel now with 30 days notice, Can she open an account under her name for the Same address same line etc when I cancel or would we need to wait for the 30 days on my one to be up as I imagine the deal won't be around long?

Thanks
    She can sign up straight away and her account will begin from the sign up date

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

She can sign up straight away and her account will begin from the sign up date

Finally gonna cancel and sign up with my wifes name. Got offer of half price for 6 months €44 then €89. Works out at €66.50 pm over 12 months that's keeping current horizon box. If I sign up with herselfs name, I can get the new box and its €62pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 br8

GBX wrote: »
    Finally gonna cancel and sign up with my wifes name. Got offer of half price for 6 months €44 then €89. Works out at €66.50 pm over 12 months that's keeping current horizon box. If I sign up with herselfs name, I can get the new box and its €62pm.

I rang up on behalf of my elderly parents. Got offered the new Box and only an increase of 50cent!! May I add, only found out they've been out of contract for over a year.

If I sign up in a new name, would anybody know how long it is before you get the new box and connection? i.e., would you get it within a month after cancelling?

Many thanks

Advertisement