Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    reality is this is the best they are going to get from people so they (the government who we have hired to represent our collective interests) have to come up with an option other than keeping us locked up until we are all vaccinated. as at this rate it will be another year. and i guarantee we will have lost half of our minds by then.

Sadly we are dealing with incompetence on a grand scale, with no understanding of human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Late May or early June when a sufficient amount of the population is vaccinated to drive transmission down or when the population buys into restrictions and actually drives cases down.

Buys in ? We have bought in for a full year now and waiting for the Government to buy in to their part . So no the public wont buy in for much longer and honestly can anyone blame them ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Buys in ? We have bought in for a full year now and waiting for the Government to buy in to their part . So no the public wont buy in for much longer and honestly can anyone blame them ?

The 5K rule was brought in when we were at 8000 cases a day, from June 29th until after Christmas we go by with a mixture of own county and nationwide travel.

As soon as cases went below 1000 a day it should have been abolished.

Construction should have been left open like the rest of the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The 5K rule was brought in when we were at 8000 cases a day, from June 29th until after Christmas we go by with a mixture of own county and nationwide travel.

As soon as cases went below 1000 a day it should have been abolished.

Construction should have been left open like the rest of the world.

1000 cases a day is not an acceptable level of disease in the community.

Hell the hospitals aren't back to full normal service and urgent elective procedures are still not back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Everyone should open their businesses on the same day. They can't arrest everyone. The virus will outlive the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Idjit wrote: »
    This is my exact situation and why I'm going to attend my local walk in testing centre. I was in my office with a colleague on Friday who started feeling ill and has since tested positive, HSE don't consider me a close contact because I wasn't within two meters of him for more than 15 minutes... But we were breathing the same air all day.

I rang my gp to arrange a test for my own peace of mind and was basically told if the HSE don't consider me a close contact and I have no symptoms then they can't help me.

So for situations like these I'm grateful they've arranged the pop up centres.

You have valid points tbf. A lot if people were not tested or diagnosed due to not having a specific set of symptoms at the beginning of the pandemic .

On the new walk in test centres
    No GP appointment will be needed, or fee will apply, for anyone using the new walk-in Covid-19 test centres that are being created to target areas where positive cases are particularly high.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0324/1205829-coronavirus-ireland/

Hell the hospitals aren't back to full normal service and urgent elective procedures are still not back to normal.

What are you on about?

Relaxing the 5K rule (say to own county) and opening construction wouldn't make any difference to the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

its a virus that hippity hoppity hops from one person to another
    so whether we are in ireland, us, spain, UK - its going to hippity hoppity hopping
    and yet... look where we are and where these other countries are
    its down to bad policies

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    virus not disease
    its a virus that hippity hoppity hops from one person to another
    so whether we are in ireland, us, spain, UK - its going to hippity hoppity hopping
    and yet... look where we are and where these other countries are
    its down to bad policies

Incompetence and a total failure to accept they are making mistakes, just keep saying "new variation" "we are dealing with a new virus" to frighten people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The 5km rule is up there with some of the most stupid unscientific nonsense I’ve seen yet:

1. It crams people in urban areas and rams limited urban green space full
    2. It discourages safe outdoor activities and in some cases substitutes them with unsafe ones (I can’t go to the beach so I’ll call to my mates house)
    3. It costs a fortune in Garda overtime, delaying essential workers and in the case of fixed checkpoints, is fruitless because it’s easily evaded (Example: there’s a fixed checkpoint on the N71 in Cork. Coming from West Cork, you can turn onto a side road 500m before the checkpoint, divert on a country road for 2km or so and reappear on the N40 South Ring Road, which is where the N71 ultimately ends anyway).
    4. It’s easily evaded by anyone with a letter or driving in a marked van (yes Garda I am a nurse in UHK and I live in Limerick. I’m definitely not using my badge to go to a house party in Limerick well outside the 5km radius of my house in Tralee.)

The whole thing should be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

18 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Think I just heard 680 or 681 cases, 18 deaths. Only vaguely listening to the news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

EVERYONE PANIC

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Once the vulnerable are vaccinated it can be 10k cases a day of sniffles - it wont matter one jot.

There is no point testing once the vulnerable are vaccinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

marno21 wrote: »
    The 5km rule is up there with some of the most stupid unscientific nonsense I’ve seen yet:

1. It crams people in urban areas and rams limited urban green space full
    2. It discourages safe outdoor activities and in some cases substitutes them with unsafe ones (I can’t go to the beach so I’ll call to my mates house)
    3. It costs a fortune in Garda overtime, delaying essential workers and in the case of fixed checkpoints, is fruitless because it’s easily evaded (Example: there’s a fixed checkpoint on the N71 in Cork. Coming from West Cork, you can turn onto a side road 500m before the checkpoint, divert on a country road for 2km or so and reappear on the N40 South Ring Road, which is where the N71 ultimately ends anyway).
    4. It’s easily evaded by anyone with a letter or driving in a marked van (yes Garda I am a nurse in UHK and I live in Limerick. I’m definitely not using my badge to go to a house party in Limerick well outside the 5km radius of my house in Tralee.)

The whole thing should be scrapped.

Yeah agree with that. It keeps nice people in nice areas and not so nice people in not so nice areas which is probably the point of it.

NIMBYISM on steroids but with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

681 cases. Didn’t catch deaths

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Once the vulnerable are vaccinated it can be 10k cases a day of sniffles - it wont matter one jot.

There is no point testing once the vulnerable are vaccinated.

But 45% of hospital cases during the January surge under 55 gives a good idea of how much vaccination you need for cases not to matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

In your own little world the government have done no wrong and all the blame should go on the people is it? Just like the people are going to have to pay for all this when it's over because the government didn't have the right policies in place like mandatory quarantine. Give me a break.

Gael23 wrote: »
    681 cases. Didn’t catch deaths

For the record this compares to 557 last week showing a slow but steady drift upwards in case numbers.

• Advertisement

Yeah agree with that. It keeps nice people in nice areas and not so nice people in not so nice areas which is probably the point of it.

NIMBYISM on steroids but with people.

nice angle - didnt think of that....
    now gets me thinking
    hmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

For the record this compares to 557 last week showing a slow but steady drift upwards in case numbers.

It isn't steady, as seen in yesterday's numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

But 45% of hospital cases during the January surge under 55 gives a good idea of how much vaccination you need for cases not to matter.

Do we have a breakdown of admissions/hospital acquired infections for that number ?

TheDoctor wrote: »
    EVERYONE PANIC

:pac: The horse has already bolted

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Under 55 is a stupid way of grouping people. Whats wrong with splitting out by decade?

Lazy approach by useless leaders, which has led to posts like yours which factually might be correct, but tell no one anything.

Normal One wrote: »
    It isn't steady, as seen in yesterday's numbers.
    Yesterday was an increase of 22 over last Tuesday.

Cases are heavily based on a weekly cycle. We get a low Tuesday every week so compare with the previous Tuesday.

Looks like France is going onto the UK's hotel quarantine list. So I would imagine that it will be added to Ireland's as well

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/24/france-should-be-added-to-uk-covid-travel-red-list-says-labour

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Swabs 21 more than last week from 5k more tests and cases under reported last Wednesday by roughly 100 & let's not forget it was a bank holiday.

• Advertisement

Any relaxation has to be regional, Donegal incidence (if I'm not mistaken) has doubled in the last few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement