Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vaccination successes and re-openings

Options
  • 24-03-2021 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

What countries, limited in number though they might be, have a large percentage vaccinated and have re-opened partly of fully?

We know the position here with about 700k done of approx 5 m. and the success to date in the UK. But are there countries near, at or over 80% vaccinated and have they re-opened? Israel for example.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Denmark announced their plans for reopening this week. Like the UK it's based on numbers of vulnerable vaccinated and 1st phase kick off in April

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thelocal.dk/20210323/denmark-announces-timeline-for-end-of-most-covid-19-restrictions/%3famp

Imagine if our useless government had the ability to make plans based on data and evidence, or based on a working assumption that vaccines will result in (gasp) vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

PMBC wrote: »
    What countries, limited in number though they might be, have a large percentage vaccinated and have re-opened partly of fully?

We know the position here with about 700k done of approx 5 m. and the success to date in the UK. But are there countries near, at or over 80% vaccinated and have they re-opened? Israel for example.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0323/1205711-vaccines-how-ireland-compares-to-other-countries/
    We have 3.7% done now so by the end of the month/ first quater maybe 4% done. At this rate maybe 8% of the population by the end of june.
    There betting on increased supplies but no sign of it yet, lockdown for another 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

Peak of 10,000 cases per day in Jan down to less than 1,000 now. Trend is still falling. Test positivity <2%. Restrictions being eased. People starting to travel abroad too.

Looks pretty successful to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

It's a bit of a mixed bag. Seems to be going great so far in Israel, the leading vaccinator in the world.
    So far so good with the UAE, US and UK but much too early to say that they're all out of the woods.

Chile are doing a remarkable job getting vaccines into arms. However things are going very badly. I fear they're shaping up to be an example to the world of not having faith in your vaccines until a critical mass is dosed up.

30% have received a first dose. 16% have gotten their second.
    Cases have been rocketing up though, nearing a record level. Deaths are very slowly rising, which is positive of course, but their hospitals are overwhelmed again. Presumably with younger people than in the past.

They've returned to a harsh lockdown, and curfews enforced by the military.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

I suppose it is stating the obvious that if we receive 600,000 J & J, and 3m. doses of the 'two shot' vaccine we will be in a very strong position given that there will be 800-900,000 vaccinated by next week-end. There is about 25% of the population under 25 i.e. 1.25 m. leaving almost 3.75m of a balance.
    I'm confident and hopeful.

• Advertisement

Gibraltar is a very small sample, but they are reporting very few cases and currently nobody in hospital, some mask requirements are being relaxed and bar opening hours extended this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gibraltar is a very small sample, but they are reporting very few cases and currently nobody in hospital, some mask requirements are being relaxed and bar opening hours extended this weekend.
    Yeah 33k people in a 3 square mile piece of land!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's a bit of a mixed bag. Seems to be going great so far in Israel, the leading vaccinator in the world.
    So far so good with the UAE, US and UK but much too early to say that they're all out of the woods.

Chile are doing a remarkable job getting vaccines into arms. However things are going very badly. I fear they're shaping up to be an example to the world of not having faith in your vaccines until a critical mass is dosed up.

30% have received a first dose. 16% have gotten their second.
    Cases have been rocketing up though, nearing a record level. Deaths are very slowly rising, which is positive of course, but their hospitals are overwhelmed again. Presumably with younger people than in the past.

They've returned to a harsh lockdown, and curfews enforced by the military.

That's the big question I suppose about the theory that if we vaccinate the vulnerable people at the thin end of the wedge, we can loosen up for everyone. If vaccines reduce hospitalisations by 95%, but by removing restrictions we increase the likelihood of catching Covid by a factor of 20, are we back where we started?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

That's the big question I suppose about the theory that if we vaccinate the vulnerable people at the thin end of the wedge, we can loosen up for everyone. If vaccines reduce hospitalisations by 95%, but by removing restrictions we increase the likelihood of catching Covid by a factor of 20, are we back where we started?

According to a poster on another threat once the vulnerable are vaccinated nphet are saying we should have 35 hospitalisations per 1000 cases.

My own estimate was around 20 hospitalisations per 1000 cases but my definition of vulnerable might be broarder than NPHET.

At the moment we are around 45-50 hospitalisations per 1000 cases regularly. In October we were around 50-55 hospitalisatoons per 1000 cases. That may be the vaccinations done so far or it might be us being slightly better at identifying asymptomatic cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

To be fair if the government said we are reopening 1st may and then I don’t know something like a new variant emerges from that breeding ground across little pond, you be right back here complaining

Best to under promise and over deliver

Maybe if I was planning a surprise for my children for xmas thatd be a good strategy.

When dealing with adults I find open honest communication and clear plans based on data and outlining best and worst case scenarios are better.

Our simple brains can handle change of plans. What we cant cope with is an information vacuum where we are left in the dark being treated like children who arent allowed be involved in the grown ups conversation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement