Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

18 year old birthday present ideas.

Options
  • 19-03-2021 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hello

Hoping for some ideas to help me out regarding a present for an 18 year old girl.
    She's my niece but I don't have a huge amount of contact with her due to location. I know she's mad about everything make up but she's loads of it.

I'm looking for ideas for something I can buy online which is under 75/100 quid as I'm pretty strapped right now.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

As it’s a special birthday woukd you consider something she can keep long term, rather than make-up etc? I am now in my 40s but still have some presents I got for my 18th, 21st and my graduation. Maybe some newbridge jewellery?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Thanks for your reply :)

Yes I didn't want to get her make up etc.

I'd love to get her some jewellery but alas at mo due to Covid and no work I can't really stretch to something like that. I bought her a nice bottle of perfume as she does love that sort of stuff. I'll try and get her something nice by way of a necklace or such in coming months when work picks up.

Thanks again for your response :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Get her a voucher for ASOS, she will love you for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Lesalare wrote: »

I'd love to get her some jewellery but alas at mo due to Covid and no work I can't really stretch to something like that. I bought her a nice bottle of perfume as she does love that sort of stuff. I'll try and get her something nice by way of a necklace or such in coming months when work picks up.

The Newbridge silver range is good value and there are nice pieces within your budget.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I agree a piece of jewellery would a nice keepsake. It doesn't have to be something outrageously expensive either, I'm sure you can find something nice within your budget. Try fields.ie. I was browsing there recently. They're a reputable Irish suppier, they've a good range and are doing deliveries (free delivery over a certain amount, only 5euro otherwise). You can also filter by price, so you're bound to find something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Newbridge jewellery can be between €20 and €40 for most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hello

Hoping for some ideas to help me out regarding a present for an 18 year old girl.
    She's my niece but I don't have a huge amount of contact with her due to location. I know she's mad about everything make up but she's loads of it.

I'm looking for ideas for something I can buy online which is under 75/100 quid as I'm pretty strapped right now.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

These are very cute. You can choose styles and colours.

Not sure about allergies or reactions so check quality but we have bought a few times in the past and they are very cute. Also in Arnotts but UK link below:

https://www.littlesmith.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

bee06 wrote: »
    Newbridge jewellery can be between €20 and €40 for most things.

The Amy Hubberman line is really nice and affordable, I have some nice pieces from it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Many thanks everyone! Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

I think a piece of jewellery would be nice, something she could keep - but I would stay away from NewBridge jewellery.. I have received some pieces over the years.. I still have them but they are all tarnished... grr..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

sporina wrote: »
    I think a piece of jewellery would be nice, something she could keep - but I would stay away from NewBridge jewellery.. I have received some pieces over the years.. I still have them but they are all tarnished... grr..

I had the same problem with Newbridge, one piece (a special birthday present) tarnished after 2-3 weeks. I tried to return it but they said basically you get what you pay for, I couldn't expect it not to tarnish at that price.

There are some lovely smaller Irish brands popping up like Juvi which have very nice pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

All silver tarnishes. I usually clean it myself. A tray lined with alu foil, add some salt, bread soda, vinegar and boiling water. Leave it in for about 10 minutes. It works for me but apparently can damage silver plated items.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Perfume? Go for more of the younger scents. Mark Jacobs Daisy Love or Prada Candy or something.

Jewelry (but ONLY if you really know her taste).

Advertisement