Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

Hopefully face to face is possible for boardies by then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mask to mask anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

A short video up passed on to me from Turas Leather about the process he goes into when making the horween (or in this video - the salmon) leather straps.

Put it this way - for something that's made in Ireland (I think we can all accept we're not the cheapest country to be living in) - and the amount of work that goes into the making of the straps (as well as the quality of materials used) the price being asked for (€41.50) really is good value - yeah that 50c is needed to cover some of the paypal fees :o

I accept that mass produced leather straps may be cheaper elsewhere - but for salmon leather and full grain calf leather - it's a very good strap price I would think.

All part of the large strap update we have for 1 February that I'm in the process of writing up now.

And here is the full update - interesting tangential note - in Kickstarter if you write an update but do not save it manually it doesn't auto-save, and dragging a photo onto the photo uploader and missing the box results in all work being lost... guess who did that on the second to last photo in the update and then needing to re-type out the whole update again :o - I'm pretty sure the first time it was typed out the update was longer too but it can be demoralising to spend an hour typing out the text and lose it all due to a slip of the finger :D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-affordable-micro-rotor-watch/posts/3086500

We're almost at 240 sales now - the latest of which was particularly touching as one gentleman is purchasing four to gift to his groomsmen for his upcoming wedding. With the pre-orders coming in it's great to hear about why people are getting a Starlight as with a Chinese micro-rotor movement and aventurine dial most people who get one have a particular reason for getting one rather than just "seems cool" or "a more affordable Rolex" (which are perfect reasons to get a watch too).

It means I am really looking forward to seeing the watches on the wrists of people who got them to celebrate events - hopefully people can share in the sólás and joy too.

CNY should be finishing up soon as well so I'll be checking in with Hangzhou to see what progress there has been and if we can get some photos of something (or when we can get the first photos of something).

• Advertisement

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-affordable-micro-rotor-watch/posts/3115168

March's first update is out and I consider it an appetiser for the main course later this month - hopefully by St Patrick's Day here (March 17th ☘) I'll be able to publish the second update which will give the pictures of some of the first assembled blued screws movements.

We are also down to our last 19 watches - due to healthy pre-order demand - it means that we may sell out before even getting to retail pricing which would be an unexpected but very pleasant surprise.

It all means that I have a good amount of funds to invest in the next Sólás model too - the Equinox (or as Gaelige - Cónocht) - there will be quite costly moulding fees in making custom tungsten cases/bracelets etc. but I'm happy to be re-investing the extra funds from the Starlight into the next model - this way we're slowly building up the expertise/reputation to bring out that repeater model 5-8 years' down the road ��.

B3UX5Dbh.jpg

If I had known that Hangzhou would send out a photo the day after I posted the March update I'd have waited an extra day :o

The first photo of the first ever blued screwed version of the HZ5000A - while the camerawork can be improved (Unkel was that you taking the shot?) I think in hand and on the wrist it will be spectacular (well spectacular may be an exaggeration - but very beautiful I think).

I might delay the March update 2 of 2 a week or so - by that time our boxes and packaging will be ready to show people too - we're very much on track for expected delivery date (otherwise I would never have agreed to make sales to people ordering the watch as wedding gifts etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Ah yeah but will it survive swimming:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fitz II wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but will it survive swimming:p:p:p:p:p:p

Shots fired :D
    Personally, I'd recommend slipping it onto a NATO pre dip! Save the horween!!!

TF, that movement shot is really beautiful.
    I am delighted to see your vision coming together so tangibly, and I can only say that seeing it gives me a tiny little bit of vicarious joy!
    In knowing how much it must mean to you!

it's been said before on this thread and will no doubt be said many times again...
    But!
    Well bloody done!

Fitz II wrote: »
    Ah yeah but will it survive swimming:p:p:p:p:p:p

No guarantees about your leather strap :p - but yes the watch as cased from me (none of you tinkering and opening them up!) you can take even for skin diving (I don't think any of us boardsies are attempting more than 50m skin diving ventures).

Do remember to give the WR a yearly test and get it serviced every 5 years if you want to take it diving often though ;)

I must take mine diving at some point just for the lulz. :pac:

@Banie - thanks - it really is great to see it all coming together - with the movements starting to come out now it is very much "real" to people hopefully. I would hope that backers once they get this news will start getting excited about the watch getting delivered for them in just a few more months' time.

May be dangerous to bring this up :pac: but a different watch brand had been asking me why I'm doing partial assembly in Ireland and shipping from Ireland, as that would give rise to import charges that I'd have to fork up instead of shipping directly from China - but it really is the difference to me that:
    1) final "assembly" is done here (as the straps are made here and I'm not sending them over to China for them to install);
    2) I'm in personal control over packaging - everyone will be getting handwritten notes/warranty cards - again I trust myself to get this process right, not necessarily sending it to China to be completed;
    3) I get to have personal QC checking before they go out the door to people and
    4) it means for EU customers no VAT/duties need to be added on which would have been the case if shipping directly from China, US customers don't have a problem either way as they have a $800 VAT free limit (works great for microbrands).

• Advertisement

We're starting to get noticed :)

I'm currently speaking to a clasp manufacturer who has shown me his factory's custom clasps made for some *very* well known Swiss made brands - these are brands that sell in the price ranges of 800-9000 euro - (obviously the clasp cost for the more expensive brands are more expensive too) - but just goes to show how much of Swiss is potentially well made, high grade Chinese stuff. Quite impressed by the selection of clasps they can make - but will have to see what's on the more affordable side of things.

First "all-in" pricing has come in for the Equinox - going to physical prototyping with moulding costs will run to more than 10k straight off (which by the way would use up most of the profits from the Starlight). Future Starlight owners don't need to worry though I have provisioned for Starlight maintenance costs already for the expected/unexpected issues, those are separate from "the warchest" for Sólás model development - a financial risk for sure that the returns from the Starlight work are being plowed straight back into more watch development :D - but one more step towards the repeater endgoal.

A lot more marketing will be needed for the Equinox too - as MOQ has risen from 300 to 500 in order to get unit costs down (and moreso that factories would be interested in quoting for making custom tungsten cases/bracelets) - MOQ unit prices have definitely gone up because everything is custom made (but at least it hasn't doubled) - hence I couldn't afford tritium this time round.

The problem is that on this larger scale I will need to start charging VAT - and pricing will again be key - if EU customers are paying 599 euro (non-EU 486 euro i.e. less the 23% VAT) it is a bit of a jump from 329-369-399 for EU customers - perhaps then it needs to shift to mostly US directed sales (or selling to our UK neighbours) - though as an EU based microbrand perhaps EU residents will be glad that they know it's 599 without having to worry about import charges. Psychologically I think a €599 purchase is a lot more significant than a €369 one...and I'd need to get more backers than with the Starlight due to the higher MOQ. I would love to do a sub 500 i.e. 499 - but after taking away the 23% VAT that's 405 and KS's cut of 8.5% would be 370 - pretty much the price I was charging for the Starlight when unit costs were much lower.

For US backers it would be a potentially good deal in that they are getting quite a bit more custom design for around 100 euro more. Though of course at 599/486 pricing I am starting to compete against pretty established microbrands and even some value oriented Swiss/German brands - using a Chinese movement of all things(!) I'll have to run further numbers to see if something like 529-599 KS pricing is even possible (every euro dropped in price means I'd need to have an extra 10-20-30 backers before costs are covered - for example if it was priced at 529 - that would be 430 after I give over the VAT to Revenue... and KS takes away an extra 8.5-9% too - pretty quickly that brings it down to around the 399 that I'm current charging for Starlight pre-orders.

You can see why a lot of microbrands are operating from Hong Kong/Singapore etc. with their naturally export orientated situation and the fact that backers don't have to see the import/VAT charge directly at the back/buy screen - harder to get EU based microbrands off the ground I think when the sales tax is already baked in the price.

One other option would be to sell to microbrand stores to try and bring down the amount of funding that would be needed to be raised from crowdsourcing - profits will go to the stores - but on the flip side it raises the chance that I'd only need 100-200 people to commit rather than needing 300 etc.

Lots of things to think about for the Equinox ^ hopefully people find the honest, behind the scenes thoughts interesting :) - I believe in my end goal so I'm certainly willing to risk the Starlight funds in the Equinox model too but I guess it just requires some more careful spreadsheet calculations and analysis of permutations.

Oh and very interesting news was that apparently someone from a watch venture capital fund indicated they wanted to speak to me - I've made it clear that I'm interested in keeping prices as low as reasonable and bringing out new watch designs rather than getting returns on investments so that might have scared them off ha - will have to see if they are willing to take a risk on a microbrand that wants to do something as audacious as building a repeater and not just repeating a MVMT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I recently got a clasp for €2.81 delivered from china. Not expecting the highest quality! But I really hate a buckle on a leather strap

It's all about the MOQ and economies of scale baby :) - it's why if you want a Rolex-like case or well finished mercedes hands then that costs pennies (or more realistically dollars) - but if you want a custom set of hands then that's a (roughly) $600 mould fee (per hand) and potentially, depending on complexity (heat blued custom shape?) MOQs ranging from 300/500/1000-3000.

3000 was what was needed to get the brushed/polished dual finishing (like you find on Seiko dauphine hands) - for a 300 MOQ you either end up with a lot of spare hands, or raise prices so this is covered by the price of each unit, or accept that currently you can't offer something that you'd love to offer - but perhaps in future iterations/revisions. With China quite often it's "all possible" - you just need to see if you can pay for it.

We're still looking at anglage on the Equinox's movement - it comes down to the pennies/dollars - is it better to have anglage (making 599 more palatable?) or target audience won't care two hoots about anglage and would prefer to just get a nicer wooden/pleather box - the beauty and terror of going with crowdfunding (rather than say something like watch forum projects is that you get to be dictator and decide :P - and then see if your design/marketing strategy works or doesn't).

^ btw - the current thinking is screw it with the fancy accoutrements - the watch is the thing that's going to be on your wrist permanently - leather rolls/"free" watch tools etc. are lovely but if it's at the expense of concentrating on delivering as much bang for the buck in the watch then I'd prefer the money to be spent on the watch... but that is to be counterbalanced by many people enjoying the unboxing moment too - damn economics and human psychology :D

Just as an example - I think one American store experimented with stopping sales and just offering averaged prices - after a year it was a complete failure as people wanted a perceived "bargain" - when rationally(?) it's better to just offer the same lower price all the time. But we're trained to regard the normal price as "bad" and a "discount" (DFS sofa "sales"?) as good... unless you're on a Rolex waiting list of course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭This is it

Kinda like paying for delivery.

€20 + €5 delivery, no way.
    €26 + FREE DELIVERY!! Oh, yes please!

This is it wrote: »
    Kinda like paying for delivery.

€20 + €5 delivery, no way.
    €26 + FREE DELIVERY!! Oh, yes please!

Nothing is free… well the free legal adivce centre is free ha (but I think they get government funding too - so partially tax payer funded).

I prefer to have things set out clearly i.e. separate shipping and goods but it does seem to work better to offer "free" shipping.

It's like when we postponed the first campaign and some people didn't think throwing more money at promotion/marketing is a good spend of money - I think we all rather the money is spent on the actual product but that was the biggest lesson for myself as a non-marketing guy. I can completely understand why Rolex, Patek etc spend around half of their budgets on marketing - for these kinds of non-essential purchases you need people to be aware and yeah we're all aware of Patek now - but that's not by magic (or even purely by craftsmanship - see Lange) - but lots of hardwork by the marketing department (in Sólás' case - marketing department = me :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I think the Sales, R&D, Finance, Manufacturing, and Marketing managers need to have a meeting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

oxocube wrote: »
    I think the Sales, R&D, Finance, Manufacturing, and Marketing managers need to have a meeting :D

They can't as they need the legal teams input and they have a clash :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

Missed out on a Solas Starlight? Sure just get some airfix paint!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/m101ge/seiko_szsb012_with_handpainted_moon_and_stars/
    546758.jpg

Ryath wrote: »
    Missed out on a Solas Starlight? Sure just get some airfix paint!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/m101ge/seiko_szsb012_with_handpainted_moon_and_stars/

In fairness, that's not a bad paint mod at all!

There are other lovely aventurine dialled watches too - from Balticus (Polish microbrand who are rather big in Poland - think billboard/magazine adverts in Krakow) to Zelos too :)

And if you want to go Alix - there are even super cheap quartz aventurine watches too (just make sure you don't get a fake one - some can be actual literal "glitter" sitting on top of enamel paint - got that as a prototype and it looked pretty awful (in my opinion)).

• Advertisement

I think people saw a static picture of our tester movement - here's a moving version of the S tourbillon (this is purely a movement tester - dial/hands/everything else is being done from the ground up again - and another foundation stone for the repeater model). Actual release of this will be in 3-4 years' time so it would give me a really long period of time to see what, if any, issues there may be with this movement.

KAwel9G.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/KAwel9G.mp4

If boards.ie can't display a moving image then I've inserted the link too. Slightly grainy (just to show the concept - this isn't a marketing video) slow-mo of a co-axial tourbillon (rather than carrousel) in motion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very swish indeed TF. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Chinese tourbillons themselves aren't necessarily very expensive anymore (though they are substantially more expensive than a microrotor) - the idea is to keep the pricing in triple figures however. Chinese ones on AliX can be had for around 400-500 I believe (pre-tax of course) - so again, it's about doing something new with the concept or else I'd just point people towards getting a AliX tourbillon or a Tag Heuer Swiss tourbillon (cheapest Swiss one on the market I believe).

I think this reviewer really nailed the aventurine shots (as much as possible by video vs human eye). It really gives a good idea of what the material looks like vs. "glitter"/"disco ball". I recommend checking it out - Jayson seems to do some good design focused videos for both micros and marquee Swiss brands.

Oh - and in this case the reviewer liked the watch enough that he offered to purchase it from me after the review - he's the first reviewer to get the salmon skin straps in hand to view too.

A nice change from reviewers asking to be paid to review a watch (which just to emphasise - I never took up on paid review offers).

Happy Paddy's Day all - for backers a KS update is being written now, not too much to update except that we got the boxes orders out too now.

Here is the full St Patrick's Day update on KS:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-affordable-micro-rotor-watch/posts/3132239

Synopsis:
    In this update we have the updated movement photos (with blued screws), the boxes for the watches have been ordered, a new review (from someone who reviews both marquee Swiss brands and also microbrands from a design background) is published and a mini-Irish quiz for the day that's in it.

Lovely update TF, also the video by Jayson is brilliant.

It really was, the really big pro was that he knew about aventurine from his knowledge of the more expensive Swiss brands and really wanted to show it off properly - his watch story was actually featured on Hodinkee too: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/my-watch-story-january-13

I would hope over the next few days the Starlight may be completely sold out - this warchest for the Equinox means we don't start from the very beginning with the next model...

Onwards and upwards I hope :)

Oh and just a small reminder - the best way to get in touch about Sólás related issues would be by sending an email to info (a) solaswatches.com - I get an instant notification of that compared to using boards.ie :) It makes it easier for myself to track questions/issues from everyone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

What's the planned timeline for the equinox?

• Advertisement

Right now I'm hearing from Hangzhou that movements are hugely delayed from their factory (6 months between order and delivery) - this was the bottleneck in terms of Starlight delivery too - otherwise if the movement was ready to go I would have been able to deliver a couple of months earlier.

So I may need to put down a deposit for the movements in the Equinox even before any KS campaign gets funded etc. if I want to speed up delivery schedules... And that's only on the delivery phase.

Actually doing the R&D for the Equinox is going to take half a year too - the moulding for the tungsten case and bracelet will take around 6 months I've been informed (it could be that we're lower down the list in terms of priority and that is somewhat understandable too - it's just our 2nd time working with a factory etc. and they should prioritise their longstanding customers (it's not just Rolex where you have waiting lists ;) ). And similarly getting the sample movements to use in the review units of the Equinox may take 6 months to get (if they are even willing to make just 10-ish custom movements - factories never like making such low amounts - I had to beg for 10 movements to be used for the Starlight when we took the break after the first postponed campaign to redo the marketing). Hopefully this time there will be less begging involved - I'm hoping cajoling will suffice :P

So - provisionally - the campaign to start marketing the Equinox's existence will start around winter 2021 and a launch in around mid/late-spring 2022 - delivery still to be determined but I'm hoping by then HZ will have cleared their movement backlog somewhat and it won't take 6 months to deliver a batch of movements - worst case scenario it would be an autumn/winter delivery of Equinox (if the current timeline is adhered to).

Actually - something I'd be interested in knowing - does anyone know someone who offers 3D printing? While a sample case can be printed in China and shipped to me this just adds more delays in the timeline. Ideally I could get a model printed in Ireland and sent to me locally - I'm seeking some quotes now but if anyone knows someone they could recommend I'd be interested in hearing from you :)

Advertisement