Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

retalivity wrote: »
    Its the former Arts council director's home, who 'spent some time in Asia'

I get to be right once in a while! A lot of the décor is the equivalent of a Japanese lad hanging old bicycles and farm implements from his ceiling due to the Celtic influence of having spent some time in Ireland...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ever wondered what would happen when world-class money meets world-class absence of taste?

Wonder no more!

For US reporter, Steven Dennis, has taken the time out to visit US property site zillow.com to find the most expensive property for sale in each state.

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1369855431103967232
    https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1369880131767046144 (thread continues).

Oregon, $29m:

546618.jpg

Alaska, $8m:

546620.jpg

South Carolina, $10.8m

546622.jpg

robindch wrote: »
    Oregon, $29m:

546618.jpg

Still not as creepy as the lad with the mannequins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

perfect place to bring vegans :pac:

546618.jpg

perfect place to bring vegans :pac:

To stuff and mount? I wouldn't put it past them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭flazio

SuperS54 wrote: »
    It's styled after a Japanese or Korean room. There are a lot of "asian" touches around the house however Asian's tend not to have this type of stuff in their houses so I'm guessing it's owned by someone who spent time in Asia as an expat or a very homesick Asian!

Apparently it was owned by the Director of the Arts Council and his wife. He has now passed away. They bought it in 1976, and the raised level in the living room can be removed and the original flooring is still beneath it. ;)

His widow is now downsizing into a house they also owned on the other side of the back garden.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-195-windmill-park-crumlin-d12y2r1/2947719

That grey door is the back door. Hopefully no-one walks in on you while you're having a shíte.

CyIopnx.png

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-195-windmill-park-crumlin-d12y2r1/2947719

That grey door is the back door. Hopefully no-one walks in on you while you're having a shíte.

Handy for quick ventilation though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

humberklog wrote: »
    There's also a pilot project being rolled out at the moment where the upstairs and downstairs of fairly normal 3 bed semis that are converted into s/c flats.
    My parent's neighbour (widowed and living alone) had it done. The house is in Elm Mount (if you want to get the idea of the type of house it's being done to). She was approached by some government housing body with the proposal. She loves it and indeed it is a nurse living on the 1st floor now.
    Her house conversion was designed by Dermot Bannon and although I don't think it's going to be on his RTE programme there were camera crews there now and again.

That Nidge gaff would probably be ideal for such a conversion. But at €750k? Hmmm, I dunno.

Splitting one house into two is very expensive as you have to fit all sorts of noise, fire, heat, plumbing, electrical separations that dont easily fit in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Disclaimer:

Nothing wrong with the place, but this thread used to be about photos rather than sad state of affairs of property market before the name was changed...

This thread lacks of a crying chair, this one is just perfect :)

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-65-de-vesci-court-fairgreen-portlaoise-co-laois/2554552

Pictures 1 and 2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

seamus wrote: »
    Only a non-drinker could think that a spiral staircase without a handrail is a remotely sane idea.

Could you imagine trying to climb into bed with six Guinness in your belly? Or worse, rush out of the bed and down the spiral dying for a pee.

Spiral staircases are never a good idea. Even sober I'd be terrified going up and down that.
    Growing up, my aunts house had a spiral staircase, I was always so nervous going up and down it as a kid. Used to shake too. Horrible things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Spiral staircases are never a good idea. Even sober I'd be terrified going up and down that.
    Growing up, my aunts house had a spiral staircase, I was always so nervous going up and down it as a kid. Used to shake too. Horrible things.

Have you ever tried a wooden stairs in your socks?

That would be a fairly thrilling experience on a spiral staircase with no handrails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

ongarite wrote: »
    These type of houses make me sad for the original owner.
    Very elderly owner without the money for upkeep or modernisation of their own proud home.
    Probably moved to nursing home on Fair Deal scheme with house idle/rotting away until they die.

Place needs to be gutted & extended out of the back. It has an outhouse with toilets!!

I dont get the frame of thought. Yes it lacks the latest chipboard shaker style units but it hardly needs to be gutted. The quality in old buildings is often higher and things last longer. It needs plenty of maintenance and decoration and there is a lot of things that could be done to upgrade it (Iwould get rid of those awful aluminium windows and the draught lobby) but would not have to be done based on the photos. I am very against gutting beautiful old houses like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

wonski wrote: »
    Disclaimer:

Nothing wrong with the place, but this thread used to be about photos rather than sad state of affairs of property market before the name was changed...

This thread lacks of a crying chair, this one is just perfect :)

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-65-de-vesci-court-fairgreen-portlaoise-co-laois/2554552

Pictures 1 and 2.

You'd need a crying chair if you fourd yourself living in Portlaoise to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

flazio wrote: »

Wow, if I was spending a million bucks on a house it would need to be a lot more impressive than that.

Under the coffee table in picture 6 looks like a secret place to stash stuff. Knowing Sinéad there could be nothing under there that would surprise me.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A million quid for seafront property of that size and within easy reach of amenities and Dublin is not that bad tbh..
    She paid 1.7m for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭josip

A million quid for seafront property of that size and within easy reach of amenities and Dublin is not that bad tbh..
    She paid 1.7m for it.

And spent the square root of fcuk all on it by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

She paid 1.7m for it.

It never crossed my mind how close Bray was to Dublin, to be honest I got a surprise when I saw how quickly and easily someone could get from one to the other.

It wouldn't rock my boat but I'm sure someone will snap it up.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The colour scheme is hideous

• Registered Users Posts: 28,999 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It never crossed my mind how close Bray was to Dublin, to be honest I got a surprise when I saw how quickly and easily someone could get from one to the other.

That's a fine house, a coat of paint will cure most of its current problems!

I'd be very surprised if it finishes at that price tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

On Mushrooms when she was looking at the Dulux colour card !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I love her house, there's very little I'd change on it tbh. If the walls could talk they'd have some stories. There's an apartnment complex going up next door, seems high enough to block out some light so you need to take that into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I would change the colour scheme but my biggest fear about buying that house is she'd have a Sinead moment and turn up in the middle of the night and try and break in.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

How far away did you think Bray was? About a quarter of the town is in County Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Great value for the location it's in. You could do a serious job on it and flip it for a tidy sum.

If them walls could talk...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,116 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Ish66 wrote: »
    On Mushrooms when she was looking at the Dulux colour card !

It looks like a flamingo vomited in there.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

The only horrid room is the Hindu? god one.

Very individual style wise. If you became the owner one could say nothing compares, nothing compares to you.

I actually quite like it

Advertisement