Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

pgj2015 wrote: »
    lol I doubt you would have to do that.
    That's the reality of renovating or restoring listed buildings.

You replace like with like, it's up to you to source authentic replacements. Be they roof slates, windows, bricks, floorboards (depending on level of listing) - or rooftop crosses!

lol I doubt you would have to do that.

You would if/when someone objected. Been on that building a long time. You could still reject in the same way you could continue to ignore a parking fine, but would eventually escalate until you were appearing on the Joe Duffy show complaining about your religious views not being respected

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You would if/when someone objected. Been on that building a long time. You could still reject in the same way you could continue to ignore a parking fine, but would eventually escalate until you were appearing on the Joe Duffy show complaining about your religious views not being respected

I was thinking the same, id say you could get it taken away if you complained about your religious views not being respected.

I was thinking the same, id say you could get it taken away if you complained about your religious views not being respected.
    If your religious views are that intransigent, maybe you shouldn't/wouldn't be buying listed former religious buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

retalivity wrote: »
    1.5m to live in the former Scholars pub/National School in Dublin 8.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-1-st-kevin-s-place-donovan-lane-blackpitts-dublin-8-dublin-8/2943542

Its nicely finished inside, but that is mental money for an apartment with no outside space except a small terrace, which is overlooked by the apartments beside it.
    Right next to a few industrial units as well.

That's a stunning apartment. I wouldn't call the terrace small - it's 80 square metres. That on it's own is bigger than many entire apartments in the city. And as for being overlooked, sure isn't pretty much every urban and suburban garden? There's a second balcony on the second floor too, and it has it's own private entrance, plus secure dedicated parking.

As for the cross on top, it has a bloody big sign saying it's a National School all across the front of it too. These things, when they have a legitimate historical context, don't have to be taken literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

Love that place.
    The idea of having the living areas on upper floors rather than bedrooms is something I'd like to see more of.

Having bedrooms on upper floors with the best views and privacy makes little sense if we spend most of the daylight hours not being able to utilise them best.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If your religious views are that intransigent, maybe you shouldn't/wouldn't be buying listed former religious buildings.

I like the building but the cross wouldn't be to my taste and I wouldn't want it on the building. anyway we are getting off topic here. lets agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-1-st-kevin-s-place-donovan-lane-blackpitts-dublin-8-dublin-8/2943542

Its nicely finished inside, but that is mental money for an apartment with no outside space except a small terrace, which is overlooked by the apartments beside it.

I wouldn't call that a small terrace.
    The place is stunning.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The company I worked for at the time were gifted that building back in the early 90's. We looked into converting it into independent living for physically disabled adults but it was too much of a reach financially to meaningfully optimise and convert the space. It was about 27 years ago (if I remember right) and we sold in on to a developer for approx. £450k and put that money into new-builds in Dun Laoghaire.

humberklog wrote: »
    The company I worked for at the time were gifted that building back in the early 90's. We looked into converting it into independent living for physically disabled adults but it was too much of a reach financially to meaningfully optimise and convert the space. It was about 27 years ago (if I remember right) and we sold in on to a developer for approx. £450k and put that money into new-builds in Dun Laoghaire.
    It was a fine pub, in which I had many a great session, in the late 90's/early'00s. Then it changed hands and went to the dogs altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well I think it's a nice property and I have no interest in "cancelling" the buildings history.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

humberklog wrote: »

Sold for €2.5m in 2002.
    Sold again in 2011 for €700k, I think to the current owners who redeveloped it.

https://dublininquirer.com/2015/06/03/blackpitts-rising-developers-dust-off-boom-time-plans

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Sold for €2.5m in 2002.
    Sold again in 2011 for €700k, I think to the current owners who redeveloped it.

https://dublininquirer.com/2015/06/03/blackpitts-rising-developers-dust-off-boom-time-plans

I've texted a friend of mine who worked with me back then. She continued on working there after I left (soon after we agreed the sale) and she reckons it was closer to €800k that Cheshire Homes got for it in probably '94-"95(?).

I've tried googling that deal but can't find anything on it.

Floors in the hall would soon be destroyed if you were bringing a motorbike in an out - so there mustn't be any parking space included?

Beautiful apartment, but I'd pass for that alone.

(edit) strike that, there is parking to the front (so why would you bring a motorbike into the hall?!?)

Floors in the hall would soon be destroyed if you were bringing a motorbike in an out - so there mustn't be any parking space included?

(edit) strike that, there is parking to the front (so why would you bring a motorbike into the hall?!?)

I knew someone who was big in to bikes and kept two of them in his living room. It can be just a personal taste.

I knew someone who was big in to bikes and kept two of them in his living room. It can be just a personal taste.
    Bizarre thing to show in a For Sale ad though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

He brings it inside as he knows his Ducati wouldnt be outside in the morn if left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I know a few people who only ride their bikes on weekends when the weather is good. They’re parked up most of the winter, usually in a shed or garage to protect them from the worst of the elements. If this person wasn’t using theirs for an extended period of time, they may have decided to bring it inside. Of course, it could be a security thing to.

Where would you put the telly in that living room?

Over the fireplace wouldnt really be visible to the rest of the room .... so everyone would be crowded in that corner?

Would also annoy me if I had to climb the stairs every time I wanted a cold drink from the fridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Where would you put the telly in that living room?

Over the fireplace wouldnt really be visible to the rest of the room .... so everyone would be crowded in that corner?

Would also annoy me if I had to climb the stairs every time I wanted a cold drink from the fridge...

Mount a projector on the wall behind the couches and have a roll down canvas on the awning. Replace the side living couches with a mini bar.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Mount a projector on the wall behind the couches and have a roll down canvas on the awning. Replace the side living couches with a mini bar.

Thats a lot of bother to go to just watch a bit of telly.

On second thought, I think that apartment is gorgeous to look at, a lot of flash, but wouldn't be very practical to actually live in.

I wonder would you be allowed put up a washing line on the terrace! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It might just be me but this place seems very tacky in places but I suppose they've a bar in the hall!

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-1-broomfield-woods-broomfield-co-dublin-k36ak15-malahide-co-dublin/2919912

Also here's Miriam O'Callaghan's house. (I'd paint the front door) (Otherwise I like it)

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-45-grosvenor-road-rathmines-dublin-6/2933638

YmRjZDQyNWY3NTcxMjE1NzhhMzExYTk5NTg1YTA2NTLi2yQrDgfEq6z7_RcVqXLbaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1L2QvNi9kNjMxMTZhZDc2MGE1NWYxNWU2Y2Q3MDEyMmY4MDViNS5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Also here's Miriam O'Callaghan's house. (I'd paint the front door)

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-45-grosvenor-road-rathmines-dublin-6/2933638

I quite like that, even the purple door. I love well kept old houses that keep the old vibe, multiple fireplaces etc

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-1-dorset-lane-dublin-1/2893521

Nice place, good price...area ehhh I could live with it, my folks live nearby now, but not sure where that is...*clicks streetview* Oh... *closes tab*

Miriam's house is beautiful. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I won the lotto.

Can anyone identify that blue/grey paint shade ?

I'm looking for a colour like that...

Nice place, good price...area ehhh I could live with it, my folks live nearby now, but not sure where that is...*clicks streetview* Oh... *closes tab*

I would need sunglasses for that place. way too much white.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what am I missing on streetview?

I would need sunglasses for that place. way too much white.

It looks like downstairs may not have any windows? So probably needs the white!

• Advertisement

Miriam's house is beautiful. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I won the lotto.

Can anyone identify that blue/grey paint shade ?

I'm looking for a colour like that...

Maybe a dark shade of blue but she could have went for expensive paint.
    81f7c9b76fac4342cae3f2c34522909539af6558.jpg

Advertisement