Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you pay off a family members drug debt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Police really need to get a handle on this stuff. Because i know full well if you report it nothing will be done and you will suffer.

There's nothing they can do. The only way to stop this happening is to legalise it.

My children aren't in the right "demographic" to get addicted to drugs seeing as most drug addicts come from broken, traumatised upbringings (through no fault of their own, I hasten to add!).

However if they did get into some trouble with unsavory characters, somehow, then I would just write the dealer a check and examine myself as to where I went wrong. I wouldn't do the same for any of my other relatives, such as my husband, though.

Good one :D Oh wait, you're serious.........It sounds like you're the one on drugs in here. Here's a couple of truth bombs for you:

1. Cannabis isn't addictive or habit forming. There is no such thing as a "cannabis addict"
    2. Actual drug addicts can come from everywhere. I know a neighbour who got a €1,000,000 golden handshake on retirement, yet their son is a smackhead.
    3. Dealers don't take checks. The correct spelling of the word is cheque, but they don't take them either
    4. Your implications that it is the parents' fault in everything that happens when someone gets addicted to something is disgusting
    5. Kids from wealthier neighbourhoods generally have more disposable cash than those from poorer ones. Raising the cash for drink, drugs, cigarettes or whatever is 90% of the battle. I moved from the inner city to a wealthy enough suburb when I was around 18 and the number of casual drug users in my circle of friends increased 20-fold.

Drug use is not the preserve of the poor, by any stretch of the imagination, but prosecution for falling foul of drug laws usually is. Gardaí and lawyers are notorious for smoking and snorting anything they can get their hands on. They'll then turn up on Monday and start putting people behind bars for what they were doing on Saturday.
    A teenager whose parents live in Howth is unlikely to need to steal to purchase €90 of coke every weekend compared to a teen who lives in Coolock.

At one stage in the early 2000s I read an article that Howth had the highest concentration of heroin addicts in the country.
    I am suggesting that it happens to people from all backgrounds.

Except for your kids who aren't in that demographic, yeah?
    Socioeconomic statii has nothing to do with it. Yes I am from an upper middle class background but what I was referring to were people from traumatised backgrounds without familial affection or respect. That can, of course, happen to anyone regardless of whether you grew up in Sandycove or Lucan.

Some more truth bombs:

1. The plural of status is statuses. There is no such word as statii. Also, using the plural here is incorrect, and you should have said "Socio-economic status has nothing to do....".......an upper middle class person would know this.
    2. There is no such thing as classes in Ireland. You are not "upper middle class", no matter what you might want to say to fool yourself. A real upper middle class person would know the plural for status.
    3. It is unclear from your last sentence which of those two areas you consider to contain the drug-addled wretches of the proletariat. Looking down on Lucan as some dystopian version of the Bronx that you'd want to avoid leads me to the conclusion that you, madam, are on the fecking wind-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭golfball37

Did you really say cannabis isn’t addictive or habit forming?

golfball37 wrote: »
    Did you really say cannabis isn’t addictive or habit forming?

Not in the way other drugs are, no. Certainly not to the level of calling people "drug addicts". Anything that can cause a change in your brain chemistry can, of course, potentially cause mental dependency. But that includes everything, including having a cup of tea with your breakfast. You wouldn't call your parents a Tea addict because they have to have a cup of tea in the morning, would you?

But physically and physiologically it is not an addictive substance. Perhaps habit-forming was the wrong choice of words, I meant in terms of forming a drug habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

I'd shoot Mr Drug Dealer in the face. Give the kid a good hiding. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Not in the way other drugs are, no. Certainly not to the level of calling people "drug addicts". Anything that can cause a change in your brain chemistry can, of course, potentially cause mental dependency. But that includes everything, including having a cup of tea with your breakfast. You wouldn't call your parents a Tea addict because they have to have a cup of tea in the morning, would you?

But physically and physiologically it is not an addictive substance. Perhaps habit-forming was the wrong choice of words, I meant in terms of forming a drug habit.

You haven't a clue, God love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There is no debate that marijuana is both physiologically and psychologically addictive,” says Aaron Weiner, a psychologist and the director of addiction services at Linden Oaks Behavioral Health, a clinic in Illinois.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/28/marijuana-addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭air assault

Feisar wrote: »
    Yea unless one has the will and means to hit the mattresses ya sort of have to pay up.

Love it :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Socioeconomic statii has nothing to do with it. Yes I am from an upper middle class background but what I was referring to were people from traumatised backgrounds without familial affection or respect. That can, of course, happen to anyone regardless of whether you grew up in Sandycove or Lucan.

Between "my children would never" and pitting Lucan at direct odds against Sandycove there is an almighty waft of Karen off your post.

It happens and it could happen your children.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Happened with my son he owed about 1500€ and they added on 500 for outstanding tic,They knocked on my door demanding it from me and asking where he was so I said ive no idea but do me a favour you find him and take him home to me and I'll give you the 2k and I'll murder him myself never heard a thing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭golfball37

God bless you is all I’ll say. I’d love to be that sheltered

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I would pay it.

What's the alternative?

Horrible situation that I hope I'm never put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Normal One wrote: »
    I'd shoot Mr Drug Dealer in the face. Give the kid a good hiding. Problem solved.

Unless Mr. Drug Dealer sent one of his lackeys up to collect the debt. Now you are at war with a load of coked out mad things, with serious €€€ to spare (for hits on you) you still have your normal life affairs to take care of, making you an easy target

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I was listening to an old episode on the radio of Niall Boylan. A woman's 16yr old son ran up a debt 'on tic' from borrowing cannabis for free in a whole month. It then came to €2000.

The teen didn't have any money to pay so he tried ignoring them but the dealer came to his ma's house and threw a brick while leaving a note at the door. He threatened to break more windows so she just forked out the money from a loan shark.

Would you do this?

Mother paid of her sons drug debt of €7,000 with limited savings, he then kills her. Very sad ending here for the family.

Gets life imprisonment.

Dont do drugs , its going to end bad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/man-35-who-murdered-mother-in-co-louth-jailed-for-life-1.4507727

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Since I don’t like my family: no, I wouldn’t pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I was listening to an old episode on the radio of Niall Boylan. A woman's 16yr old son ran up a debt 'on tic' from borrowing cannabis for free in a whole month. It then came to €2000.

The teen didn't have any money to pay so he tried ignoring them but the dealer came to his ma's house and threw a brick while leaving a note at the door. He threatened to break more windows so she just forked out the money from a loan shark.

Would you do this?

2k?

Of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

If its 2k a month that young lads dealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Good one :D Oh wait, you're serious.........It sounds like you're the one on drugs in here. Here's a couple of truth bombs for you:

1. Cannabis isn't addictive or habit forming. There is no such thing as a "cannabis addict"
    2. Actual drug addicts can come from everywhere. I know a neighbour who got a €1,000,000 golden handshake on retirement, yet their son is a smackhead.
    3. Dealers don't take checks. The correct spelling of the word is cheque, but they don't take them either
    4. Your implications that it is the parents' fault in everything that happens when someone gets addicted to something is disgusting
    5. Kids from wealthier neighbourhoods generally have more disposable cash than those from poorer ones. Raising the cash for drink, drugs, cigarettes or whatever is 90% of the battle. I moved from the inner city to a wealthy enough suburb when I was around 18 and the number of casual drug users in my circle of friends increased 20-fold.

Drug use is not the preserve of the poor, by any stretch of the imagination, but prosecution for falling foul of drug laws usually is. Gardaí and lawyers are notorious for smoking and snorting anything they can get their hands on. They'll then turn up on Monday and start putting people behind bars for what they were doing on Saturday.

At one stage in the early 2000s I read an article that Howth had the highest concentration of heroin addicts in the country.

Except for your kids who aren't in that demographic, yeah?

Some more truth bombs:

1. The plural of status is statuses. There is no such word as statii. Also, using the plural here is incorrect, and you should have said "Socio-economic status has nothing to do....".......an upper middle class person would know this.
    2. There is no such thing as classes in Ireland. You are not "upper middle class", no matter what you might want to say to fool yourself. A real upper middle class person would know the plural for status.
    3. It is unclear from your last sentence which of those two areas you consider to contain the drug-addled wretches of the proletariat. Looking down on Lucan as some dystopian version of the Bronx that you'd want to avoid leads me to the conclusion that you, madam, are on the fecking wind-up.

I’m gobsmacked at how much you embarrassed yourself with that tirade.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

My wife gave a good few grand as a loan to a friend whose son owed bad people money after being busted by the law and so not having the drugs to sell to cover the debt.

She did it then she told me I was pissed off but what can you say. The mother gave us back like €100 three times before she told us that we had loads of money and she had nothing so that's that really.

If the bad people were standing over the woman's son with hammers threatening to break his knees I suppose I'd have given them the money rather than let them do it so I suppose I agree with my Wife's actions but I earn less than 50 grand a year before tax so while I'm not on the breadline I hardly have thousands to be giving away.

If you do hand over the cash you won't get it back so give it as a gift not a loan is the only advice I have really.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

kravmaga wrote: »
    Mother paid of her sons drug debt of €7,000 with limited savings, he then kills her. Very sad ending here for the family.

Gets life imprisonment.

Dont do drugs , its going to end bad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/man-35-who-murdered-mother-in-co-louth-jailed-for-life-1.4507727

The media is skewed and only reports the bad drug stories. Wouldn't you like to see a positive drug story on the news? To base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstition? Perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting? Just for once?

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.

• Advertisement

Dealers start by giving out freebies to kids as young as 13 in secondary school. The dealer is likely in the school too. Then they start giving the drugs on tick - shur it's grand, pay me when you can. Kids start building up small debts 100 or 200. Dealer wants to know just how much they are good for.
    It goes on for a couple of years with the kids starting to spend all their money on weed and smoking it with their friends. Next they need to start getting more money, so a bit of thieving at home goes unnoticed, a scam here and there is also unnoticed. All the while they keep getting weed on tick and slowly building up debt that has to be repaid. By the time they are in 3rd year, they have no hope of paying, so the pressure starts to get the money from family. Eventually in desperation they go to a parent. It's probably the first time the parent realized what their kid is up to - even if they had suspicions before, now it hits home. They pay up the 500 or whatever.
    Kid promises never again. It's no good though, they need the weed and all their friends are smoking. They become experts at deception until one day they owe 2000 and it's back to the parents but this time they are being threatened, maybe beaten up.
    It's a story that goes on in every town and village in Ireland. Doesn't matter what your socioeconomic situation is. It's not the parents fault, nor is it the kids fault. A full on aggressive reaction by the parents with extremely harsh consequences might just get through. Who is the kid more scared of? They just happen to be of the right personality type to get sucked into it. The dealers always have the upper hand. Next thing the kid is in 5th year and he is told he can pay off his debt if he sells a bit to his friends. Seems a good solution to him. Next thing he is the dealer and sucking in other kids into the same cycle.
    It's rampant and is not addressed properly to try and divert kids away from getting into these situations. Weed is not necessarily addictive, it is habit forming and even worse it is the gateway into the more addictive and expensive drugs and associated criminality.

Dealers start by giving out freebies to kids as young as 13 in secondary school. The dealer is likely in the school too. Then they start giving the drugs on tick - shur it's grand, pay me when you can. Kids start building up small debts 100 or 200. Dealer wants to know just how much they are good for.

Drugs dealers aren't going around giving freebies to kids to get them hooked, most people get introduced to drugs by friends/relatives/peer group

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭nicholasIII

Housefree wrote: »
    Drugs dealers aren't going around giving freebies to kids to get them hooked, most people get introduced to drugs by friends/relatives/peer group

Lol...true.

The biggest myth I ever learned (and this was first when I was in 6th grade/6th class in America) is "Don't ever try free drugs that strangers hand out to you".

Whomever created those DARE programs must never have been acquainted with drug culture/drugs because if they were then they'd realize that drugs are expensive as ****. Ecstasy tablets on their own cause €5 a pill. My teacher told me that she knew kids who were given 10 ecstasy tablets for free by a drug dealer each. That's about 50 tablets to kids and €250. Total rubbish.

A stranger won't get you hooked. A friend/relative will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭nicholasIII

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Since I don’t like my family: no, I wouldn’t pay

It isn't as cut and dry. You may think your family are the worst people in the world, but if you live with them or if the drug dealer knows that you're related, they'll be banging on your door.

There's another story about a family member who got dragged into drug debts because they couldn't pay so the mother told the dealers that her sister was well off. Long story, short, the dealers went to the aunt's house and threatened to bash it up. She reluctantly paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I can't believe nobody has said just go to the Guards

I know they're 90% useless and it won't end in a conviction but scumbags are legit bothered by the guards cos they can cause hassle. It's heat they don't need. No ****ing way would I pay them and I'd record everything for the guards, every threat. Have a doorbell camera. Send it all the cops and to the scumbags. They're not untouchable, they're legit scared of a raid taking all their cash/gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭enricoh

A little scrote rang a fella I knows doorbell one evening n told him 5k was required to sort his kids bill. He laughed at the scrawny kid but he told him he was only the messanger. Someone else would do his windows n then burn the cars. He knew a cop n found out who he was dealing with n ponied up. The fellas calling, bricking the windows etc would just be getting a few quid off their bills

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

The Latin word, status has a plural form "status," (pronounced statūs). To pluralize by arbitrarily adding "ii" endings to words is just silly.

I can't believe nobody has said just go to the Guards

I know they're 90% useless and it won't end in a conviction but scumbags are legit bothered by the guards cos they can cause hassle. It's heat they don't need. No ****ing way would I pay them and I'd record everything for the guards, every threat. Have a doorbell camera. Send it all the cops and to the scumbags. They're not untouchable, they're legit scared of a raid taking all their cash/gear.

The Guards will advise you to pay if you don't want your property destroyed. It's not one guy, it's a gang, the people busting up your place will probably be younguns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Good one :D Oh wait, you're serious........

[...]

And that's what we call laying the smack down people :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Find out who he owes the money to. then go and burn his house down. he would never expect that. you have to think outside the box.

Advertisement