Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day, part 2

• 15-03-2021 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

Last thread reached 10k posts which is the limit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭KevRossi

New NCT to 04/22 on this S320 CDi for €2,900. I like the lighter interiors on these.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-s-class-2005-diesel-nct-04-22/27522087

YzFiYzdiNmQzZjBjNzM4MDc4MmZiMWNiY2JkZjcyZjGirPKGaqcWI1fe1AcOKAaxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzQxMzIzNzZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    YjRhZDAyOTgwMGZmMTkzNjY2M2EwNGQ2ZjVlZGE3YTFQizsKrQDNULxIVNG-cYpWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzQxMzIzODd8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Was the rear of that parked by the fire to dry off or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

pretty heavily loaded and the last year of the 220, not a bad pick for half the money 221's of a similar spec go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-bmw-730-se-dsl/27067783

NWQ4MmFkY2RjYmMzY2I3ZmNkNTJmYzdiODAzMzg3ZDCcWm8NQ9A4_-20bOWBlQ_5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjg5Nzc1Njl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Two grand price drop on this pre-facelift 730d with 69k miles, now €3950

This could potentially be a nice car depending on the level of care the owner has taken with it since 2008.

Another one here:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-730d/27531551

M2I4ZWI1OGFjZmE4ZDJkMzU2MWY0NmZlYzE5MjJhMjlwXyEJvKjRYWO-a1b1tGrraHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzQyMzcxNjl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Hard to judge spec from such a poor ad but it has comfort seats at least.

Claiming FSH and 4 new continental tyres, €3250. Theres something charming about the pre-facelift 7s now IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

Has adaptive cruise which was rarely seen, a real Tiger car, would go back to it in a heartbeat, I drove a black one and miss it terribly , high road tax as considered 3.5 petrol before 2008, they were Govt ministers cars in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It does look clean alright. Most of them these days are high milers that have gotten abused over the years with really tatty interiors. A nicer car than the model that succeeded it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Theres something charming about the pre-facelift 7s now IMO.

I think they will become the sought after classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think they will become the sought after classic.

I doubt it, very hard to keep compared to the facelift, it resolved a load of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I doubt it, very hard to keep compared to the facelift, it resolved a load of issues.

Ah, I see. I was only going on aesthetics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I think irrespective of reliability and technological advancements of the facelift cars etc the earlier examples will be the ones collectors will want in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

It does look clean alright. Most of them these days are high milers that have gotten abused over the years with really tatty interiors. A nicer car than the model that succeeded it too.
    no more GS450h being made any more and nothing decent to go for except back up to the LC500 :( and theres v of them around

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think irrespective of reliability and technological advancements of the facelift cars etc the earlier examples will be the ones collectors will want in a few years time.

Interesting. Someone buying for daily driver rather than collecting might be looking for the latest car off the assembly line, e.g. a "2004" reg E39. (Although in that case the earlier M52 vs M54 is superior).

I agree with the earlier comments about maybe changing the budget range. Not a lot of luxobarge at the sub-5k mark right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭v240gltse

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-bmw-730-se-dsl/27067783

NWQ4MmFkY2RjYmMzY2I3ZmNkNTJmYzdiODAzMzg3ZDCcWm8NQ9A4_-20bOWBlQ_5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjg5Nzc1Njl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Two grand price drop on this pre-facelift 730d with 69k miles, now €3950

This could potentially be a nice car depending on the level of care the owner has taken with it since 2008.

< RANT ON>

WHAT IS WRONG with people and their inability to take decent photos of cars they are trying to sell. Jesus ads like that just make me dizzy and I feel the seller cant be arsed to get decent one taken

< RANT OFF>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

I just got dizzy looking at that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Donedeal should give people a standard template.

At a minimum there should be an angled picture of the car's best side, then picture of every side straight on. Picture of engine, interior, dash, driver seat, wheels, steering wheel.

All taken in full daylight, with a clean car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They could definitely do something with an app that shows the outline of the car and you match the camera angle up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

We never really chat in this thread about the way things are going in regards bigger, older, typically petrol barges and their values. How do we see things progressing? If you had a shed that could fit 10 cars in it, what would youd be buying right now at knock down prices?

Do you see typical early to mid 2000s barges being worth more in 10 years time? We're already seeing it with V12s for sure, but i'd wonder how much an 2005 S500 or 750i would be worth in 10 years once the EV revolution is further down the track?

Seeing as traditional investments like the stock market nets you approx 12% on an annual basis, ETFs a touch higher, do you reckon you could double your money in 10 years on a V8 barge?

Or even better, can you treble or quadruple it in 20 years?

We never really chat in this thread about the way things are going in regards bigger, older, typically petrol barges and their values. How do we see things progressing? If you had a shed that could fit 10 cars in it, what would youd be buying right now at knock down prices?

Do you see typical early to mid 2000s barges being worth more in 10 years time? We're already seeing it with V12s for sure, but i'd wonder how much an 2005 S500 or 750i would be worth in 10 years once the EV revolution is further down the track?

Seeing as traditional investments like the stock market nets you approx 12% on an annual basis, ETFs a touch higher, do you reckon you could double your money in 10 years on a V8 barge?

Or even better, can you treble or quadruple it in 20 years?

All good questrions.

I would think we have passed peak ICE more or less. i am sure their will be some gems in the future but they won't be attainable for me.

I have a flat 6, V6, V12 and am looking for a V8. I am also watching for the correct spec cars to buy as parts cars. However for me the enjoyment is in owning and driving them. I don't see them as an investment per se. Maybe I'd get some of my time, parts and purchase price back but that would be just luck.

I can't see a way to make money on them especially if you drive them. The tax alone probably cancels any appreciation. The other downside is that using them you run the risk of the car being written off if smacked by some clown as the repair costs far exceed the OMSP.

I'm struggling with storage at present amd there are a few other cars I'd like to acquire. Sadly the costs in this country make any gain nigh on impossible so I am bascially a fool with an expensive hobby.

I took the decision about 8 years ago that I would drive my daily as long as possible and took out a credit union loan with payments of 300 ish per month. That has been rolled and allowed me to acquire the fleet I have today. Lots of payments still to go but its what most people are paying for a new PCP thing. If I save up a bit extra, I knock it down or oput to the bottomless parts / maintenance bill.

I try an do a lot of the work myself, except on the daily as I'm not that interested aside from more frequent oil and filters changes cos I need it to keep going. It has also meant that I have had to drive the work van on a few occasions when everything that is taxed is in bits. So its a bit of a lifestyle choice and not for everyone.

So - back to the original question. Unless you are a serious collector with climate controlled facilities buying rare stuff then despite the best man maths available you would be lucky to just break even assuming reasonable appreciation of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I think if you're consistently getting those returns through the stock market, you should focus on that full time!

• Advertisement

traco wrote: »
    All good questrions.

I would think we have passed peak ICE more or less. i am sure their will be some gems in the future but they won't be attainable for me.

I have a flat 6, V6, V12 and am looking for a V8. I am also watching for the correct spec cars to buy as parts cars. However for me the enjoyment is in owning and driving them. I don't see them as an investment per se. Maybe I'd get some of my time, parts and purchase price back but that would be just luck.

I can't see a way to make money on them especially if you drive them. The tax alone probably cancels any appreciation. The other downside is that using them you run the risk of the car being written off if smacked by some clown as the repair costs far exceed the OMSP.

I'm struggling with storage at present amd there are a few other cars I'd like to acquire. Sadly the costs in this country make any gain nigh on impossible so I am bascially a fool with an expensive hobby.

I took the decision about 8 years ago that I would drive my daily as long as possible and took out a credit union loan with payments of 300 ish per month. That has been rolled and allowed me to acquire the fleet I have today. Lots of payments still to go but its what most people are paying for a new PCP thing. If I save up a bit extra, I knock it down or oput to the bottomless parts / maintenance bill.

I try an do a lot of the work myself, except on the daily as I'm not that interested aside from more frequent oil and filters changes cos I need it to keep going. It has also meant that I have had to drive the work van on a few occasions when everything that is taxed is in bits. So its a bit of a lifestyle choice and not for everyone.

So - back to the original question. Unless you are a serious collector with climate controlled facilities buying rare stuff then despite the best man maths available you would be lucky to just break even assuming reasonable appreciation of the car.

I'm talking purely from a storage point of view, not running the cars on a daily basis. If you were a farmer for example with an empty shed, i'd wonder if you filled it with €30k worth of 6/8 cylinder 5 and 7 series (10 x €3k buys) and sat on it for 10 years, would you have €60k on your hands. I reckon you might well do.

I'm talking purely from a storage point of view, not running the cars on a daily basis. If you were a farmer for example with an empty shed, i'd wonder if you filled it with €30k worth of 6/8 cylinder 5 and 7 series (10 x €3k buys) and sat on it for 10 years, would you have €60k on your hands. I reckon you might well do.

Interesting.
    So you wanna double your money. Storage costs are nil. You want to get something that's near fully depreciated and in decent nick, which will hopefully have a cult following in maybe 10 years.

Maybe
    Z3 and z4
    Mx5
    Rx8
    Mr2

My money would be on something a person would use as a weekend car.
    I don't think a 5 or 7 series will get any way appealing in 10 years. Tax aside, they're not that appealing now for the majority. If you go to a classic car show, you're drawn to sporty cars, not bargey cars.

I'd buy the car and spend another 500 euro on parts, brakes, shocks, the usual consumables, and store them in the boot.

Imagine seeing an ad for a classic car that comes with a pile of brand spanking new parts the new owner can have fun fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

would you not have to do maintenance during those 10 years? even in a dry shed leaving a car sitting for 10 years won't do it any good.

would you not have to do maintenance during those 10 years? even in a dry shed leaving a car sitting for 10 years won't do it any good.

There's a few things you could do. Give the car a proper clean and polish, inside and out.
    Fresh oils, filters, full tank of petrol with that additive to stop it going off.
    Drain the rads, washers etc. Take the wheels off and support it on the jacking points.
    Take out the battery,
    Put a rag in the exhaust, cover over the car, nice dry airy shed, put a big bag of dessicant inside too.
    Keep the mice and moisture away and it should be fine.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Interesting.
    So you wanna double your money. Storage costs are nil. You want to get something that's near fully depreciated and in decent nick, which will hopefully have a cult following in maybe 10 years.

Maybe
    Z3 and z4
    Mx5
    Rx8
    Mr2

My money would be on something a person would use as a weekend car.
    I don't think a 5 or 7 series will get any way appealing in 10 years. Tax aside, they're not that appealing now for the majority. If you go to a classic car show, you're drawn to sporty cars, not bargey cars.

I'd buy the car and spend another 500 euro on parts, brakes, shocks, the usual consumables, and store them in the boot.

Imagine seeing an ad for a classic car that comes with a pile of brand spanking new parts the new owner can have fun fitting.

Yep some nice picks. I think E38s will be worth money for sure. I don't see how a €3k one wouldnt be worth €6k+ in 10 years. You're also well into classic territory then, you can run one for buttons.

I'm also taking into account that the EV revolution will be in full swing, nice ICE barges should be worth more by default. Not a certainty, but a fair gamble.

I'm also taking into account that the EV revolution will be in full swing, nice ICE barges should be worth more by default. Not a certainty, but a fair gamble.

Yep, you're looking for real "drivers" cars, so something manual, simple, small, with good power.

Barges aren't really in this category, I think there's better cars to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

I think investing in v12s and v8s might not necessarily be the way to go for a couple of reasons.

One issue is the danger of them being taxed off the road due to climate ambitions of greening governments. Certain CO2 outputs may just become unjustifiable like smoky coal.

My other reasoning is that luxury manufacturers were striving and attempting to get turbine smoothness and absolute silence from ICE units.
    This elusive quest has been now effectively been met with electric luxury cars.

So my logic is the ice cars that are as far away from electric in the future will be the ones in high demand . I.E. small light roarty sporty stuff with high revving 3 and 4 bangers along with outright sports cars.

As to the Irish market , the Celtic tiger peaked in 2006-08 and you’ll never see luxobarges as cheap here ever again, as they were/are post 2010 secondhand, we had total oversupply and no money to buy them up.
    Things were so bad , a huge amount were exported.

So if you haven’t yet , get yourself into a luxobarge now pay the high tax and drive the nuts out of it because it’s time has surely passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

https://www.adverts.ie/22969187

Would this be worth a look?
    Nearing 250k miles would be concerning to me, Rightly so?

https://www.adverts.ie/22969187

Would this be worth a look?
    Nearing 250k miles would be concerning to me, Rightly so?

That was mentioned in the old thread and if I recall belonged to someone on here so may be well worth a look.

Going back to the collection question. I think any car that has was rare, has some unique features could appreciate but the big thing is by how much. I don't agree with the statement that they need to be drivers cars either as there are many tastes out there that providing the car is something special should have a potential buyer.

I took the flat 6 for its NCT yesterday, first time on the road in 6.5 months and it is the polar opposite driving experience of the V12. Its louder, has much more feel etc etc. The contrast is amazing, the V12 has some feel and handles well, due to the ABC system yet at almost 1000kg heavier it isn't something to throw around a track. Yet the power delivery of the Merc is so different compared to the Porsche, that it offers a totally different drivers experience is whats its all about for me.

On the V8 front, I have been watching some of the old W126 or W116 S Class Mercs and while they are making OK money they haven't jumped dramatically unless its a 6.9 or an SEC or something that would have been a rare car in its day. Even those exampes that are making top dollar are pristine low mileage examples.

It also doesn't matter what you buy, how good it is or how good your storage is. The car will need maintenance and servicing as time will take its toll on them. If you were to do it then buying up parts as mentioned would be a must, trying to find new old stock, breakers etc. Not much point in having a pristine example if you can run it because the ECU is knackered or brake module has failed.

I'd like an MX-5 as car to add to the fleet. I also want a V8 but I'm having trouble on picking one as I think it needs to be a CL, SL or 55 AMG estate. Again though I would be buying for a specific package / feel as an owner experince and a car that would have not been all that common in its day.

Makes no difference at the moment as I have no storage or money :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

One of the reasons to buy classics luxobarges was to take the tax advantage of
    Driving a big engined powerful car on low tax.
    The problem is , old powerful is not new powerful and can often be
    Disappointing in reality.
    I drove a real good V12 XJS recently and it was truly
    Atrocious acceleration, and this was a super good example.
    So by the time luxobarges are old they won’t feel special

I also drove a 161 Mercedes S 350 cdi recently that did 0-60 in less than 7 seconds ,did about 50 mpg and the real kicker was it had 390 annual tax.

If the below videos had a later model S class diesel the 6.9 would be left for dead.

Advertisement