Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pride and Pinion?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Fitz II wrote: »
    Give us a link please

Here’s a screenshot

18-FB1436-83-C8-47-F8-AB26-71795-B0-EF0-E0.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I find the P&P stuff on youtube tiresome. Its too jumpy, edited by somebody on cocaine, and the strong opinions while initially refreshing are growing stale. I found them nice guys to deal with, but when you put yourself out there offering strong critisism you will have to take some in return. The hipster stores are remarkably similar alright.

Love a bit of agro between the influencers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

893bet wrote: »
    I seen Timeless take a minor pop at them also in a video recently. He didn’t mention the channel but it was obvious who he was talking about.

I noticed that too :D

It was about the pronunciation of some watch brands, wasn't it? It highlighted the snob in O'Malley more than the shortcomings of the subject he was ridiculing, but he was right of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Yep agree with some of the above. The shouting/cursing and slating is very snapchatty (I just made that word up, I don't know what it means) and the novelty has worn off.

There is a huge market for him though, the Paul Jake's and KSI type youtube kids will eat all his videos up. Not for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Having the exact same opinion on all while knowing little about watches... Oof. Then again if Nico has the exact same opinion as the other Dutch lad and copied him, it seems the same Dutch lad is a bit lacking in his own knowledge. I noticed the same dig from Timeless. It's all getting a tad school yard :D

Now granted I have the mental age of a 12 year old, maybe 15 at a stretch so don't actually mind Nico's approach. It's a bit of craic and while I do like Timeless' channel, given a choice between wading through his oft pretentious and often just as dubious horological musings while he wanders around Venice like a D4 exchange student, or under ten minutes of Nico having a harmless rant, I'd have to think about it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I think all the youtubers go stale after a while, and maybe half that if you know exactly what to expect and the youtube algorithm does not reward anything different. Sparrowcar makes the good point that Nico is not aimed at us, he is watches related entertainment, like top gear is car related entertainment.

The Timepiece Gentleman channel is another one, puts out a week in the life 60 min video every monday. Good fo seeing behind the scene of a busy dealer, but its all price and value and not real consideration of the watches.

Look at channels that cater only to watch reviews and dont put all the other stuff around it, they can be around for years without gaining anything like the numbers Nico has in a few months.

Just one more sh1tter watch is a good example, a fairly charming chap putting out nothing but watches for years in the most popular genre and not even 200k subs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Fitz II wrote: »
    I think all the youtubers go stale after a while, and maybe half that if you know exactly what to expect and the youtube algorithm does not reward anything different.
    I think this is the problem. They all get a bit boring, youtube rewards them for sticking with submariners, or possibly something completely different and leftfield like a sea dweller. There's only so much talking about the same 4 or 5 most popular watches you can do.

Watchfinder is always throwing up something different, it's the only one I'd watch regularly dear listener.

Watch finder are a bit different and I love the content, although the soliloquies can get a little laboured at times. Watchfinder are trying to sell watches. They have a ALS in stock that not shifting, I am sure a swooning video will find a punter. They are not reliant on views for income. The likes of Archieluxury need the views and the ad revenue so they have to talk about rolex. Or at least review the ALS with a "This ALS is a Rolex Killer" slant. No Rolex = no views. Its a sad state of affairs, there is more to watch collecting than Rolex, and it makes even the Rolex fan like me tire of the brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, I understand their reasons for making videos, but purely from a youtube channel POV I can go to their channel and chances are it'll be something interesting rather than another submariner with a different colour bezel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, I understand their reasons for making videos, but purely from a youtube channel POV I can go to their channel and chances are it'll be something interesting rather than another submariner with a different colour bezel

I agree with your overall sentiment. If I never see any Rolex, a speedie or a seamaster on a YouTube video again, I will be a happy man. Nothing against the watches, I'm just sick of the same handful of watches being regurgitated over and over again. They think they are being uber adventurous by including a few Tudors now too because the Rolex brigade approves.

Advertisement