Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No it can't blow around because it's under the basket :)

the images show them on top.

61P5JzH-UIL._SL1000_257700f4-1aae-425c-8bc9-d33eb8013f6a_1024x1024.jpg

I think some people think the airfyer is very like an oven, where there is no obvious fire risk. The philips airfryer goes to 200C but the element is exposed and goes far higher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

rubadub wrote: »
    the images show them on top.

I think some people think the airfyer is very like an oven, where there is no obvious fire risk. The philips airfryer goes to 200C but the element is exposed and goes far higher.

Sorry, I was talking about the tinfoil I put under the basket. Those parchment papers could absolutely blow around :eek:

Sorry, I was talking about the tinfoil I put under the basket. Those parchment papers could absolutely blow around :eek:

ah sorry I see that now. if my pizza toppings can blow about that paper definitely could! the likes of sausages might roll off it or 2 one side.

A trick is to only turn it on once the basket is in. If you push stuff in I think the air flow changing is more likely to move light things around. If the basket is in position its blowing more directly down, stuff still blows about though, but just less.

I often put fatty stuff in foil takeaway trays, sometimes taking out the regular basket to have more space. Or those nice thick aluminium foil trays you might get meat in from a butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I did sausages and bacon in mine this morning, and used parchment paper underneath the basket, it never moved a bit tbh.

I'm probably not using mine to its full potential yet (I only used it for the first time on Wednesday I think) and so far have made homemade chips - bit of effort peeling spuds, cutting them into chips, removing starch by soaking them in water, drying them and then drizzling with oil, sprinkling salt/pepper and cumin/paprika over them, but the chips were deadly.

Thurs evening, put samosa/pakora and bhajis in it (shop bought) quicker than oven, but no noticeable difference otherwise.

Last night I did skin on fries from Aldi, quick and convenient and tasty, definitely wouldn't go back to just putting them in the oven.

Then this morning, as already said, put some Mallons sausages in there with rashers, omg the grease that came out of them was something else. Placed parchment paper directly under the basket, and it no doubt eased the cleaning process, I then placed both parts of basket in hot soapy water to soak before placing in the dishwasher.

By the way, I put sausages in for ten minutes, half way through gave them a good shake and added rashers, next time I'll give rashers the same time as the sausages as they weren't crispy enough imo.

Glad I bought it so far, but I'm probably way underusing it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm going to try KFC style chicken in it.

Chicken pieces, marinated in buttermilk.

Dredged in seasoned flour.

Cooked for 25 minutes at 190 , sprayed with oil half way through.

Any tips from anyone who's done it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Best place and price for an actifry these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

Seve OB wrote: »
    Best place and price for an actifry these days?

All the sales will be starting soon, some like Curry's already have. You should pick up good value if you can wait a week or two for all the sales or even the New Year ones.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    All the sales will be starting soon, some like Curry's already have. You should pick up good value if you can wait a week or two for all the sales or even the New Year ones.

Pressie for the mam for Christmas. Might wait till Stephen’s day as won’t see her till then anyway.
    It’s 129 now in a few places. Any chance of it going lower than that?

Pressie for the mam for Christmas. Might wait till Stephen’s day as won’t see her till then anyway.
    It’s 129 now in a few places. Any chance of it going lower than that?

What make and model? If I see one i'll post it here.

What make and model? If I see one i'll post it here.

Any actifry

• Advertisement

Any actifry

have you read the negatives of it? they are prone to breaking, I have seen several sites online of people who had both and almost all preferred the airfryer. Guy in my office said the same, he has 2 airfryers now, the actifry paddle broke. I heard Powercity were taking the paddles out as people were nicking them as replacements!

have you read the negatives of it?

I don’t need to. I have had one for years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Our paddle broke. The knockoff replacement doesn't look like it ever will. The rivets in the handle are well rusty after a few years of dishwashering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

I did fish and chips in the Airfryer.

I put a skewer grill accessory within the Airfryer so that I could cook the fish evenly above the chips.

However the fish stuck to the grill.

Does anyone know how I can stop food from sticking to the grill.

In a regular oven I'd place tinfoil on the grill but am wary of it going on fire within the fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive used tin foil to cook mackeral in the airfryer before without problems, just wrap the fish up, add a squeeze of lemon if desired and poke a couple of holes in the top side of the foil. Obviously ensure the basket isnt packed and the foil is not touching the element or anything but other than that it works fine.

Would grease proof paper work?

Can ready made meals that come in a silver tray be cooked in an Airfryer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Can ready made meals that come in a silver tray be cooked in an Airfryer?

I cooked some chicken kievs that came in a foil tray, just had to bend the corners a bit to make it fit. There was till room for air to flow up around the sides of the tray

just had to bend the corners a bit to make it fit.
    If often take the mesh inner basket out and just place the tray inside.

Some of these ready meal foil trays might have a plastic clear top on them, and in some cases this might be meant to be left intact or pierced. If this was to rip further and a stray bit of plastic sheet was to lift upwards it could hit the element, which is far higher than 200C and could go on fire. The air fryer is sort of like a grill in that respect, similar to if you are grilling a fatty burger or sausages oil can bubble and hit the grill element and you get little flames appearing which quickly go out but cause smoke.

I cooked some chicken kievs that came in a foil tray, just had to bend the corners a bit to make it fit. There was till room for air to flow up around the sides of the tray
    If often take the mesh inner basket out and just place the tray inside.

Some of these ready meal foil trays might have a plastic clear top on them, and in some cases this might be meant to be left intact or pierced. If this was to rip further and a stray bit of plastic sheet was to lift upwards it could hit the element, which is far higher than 200C and could go on fire. The air fryer is sort of like a grill in that respect, similar to if you are grilling a fatty burger or sausages oil can bubble and hit the grill element and you get little flames appearing which quickly go out but cause smoke.

What's the point of removing the inner basket. Is it just to have more room?

On my fryer the handle is attached to the inner basket so I can't remove it and just use the large basket.

I'll be cooking Beef Stew. Would It be better to put it in a pyrex bowl instead of the tray?

The pyrex bowl is suitable for a regular oven but I'm not sure about the Airfryer.

I'm wondering could the liquid bubble up or spit towards the element.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭EletricMan

Can you cork pork chops in an air fryer? Any idea how long it would take and if it's worth it. Find they dry out in the oven often.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm really getting to grips with this great machine. Did some rashers in it this morning and they were fab. Much better than the grill. Quick too. Tried a pork chop earlier this evening. A little olive oil. 18 mins. Turned half way and it came out juicy and tender. Since I started using the Air Fryer, I've hardly had the oven on. Maybe 4 times in the last month for a weekly roast. I'm even using it for my roast spuds.
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    I cook pork chops quite often in mine and about 12 minutes is plenty, I don’t bother with oil just some seasoning
    Han joints are spot on either on its own or coated in a marmalade, works out better and cheaper than buying packet ham

I did a quick search of the thread using "pork chops" and found these :)

What's the point of removing the inner basket. Is it just to have more room?

On my fryer the handle is attached to the inner basket so I can't remove it and just use the large basket.
    Yes way more room to fit trays or you could pile in food. It will need more shaking as air is not circulating as well but its a lot more volume.

My handle is attached to the inner basket. When removed you are left with a groove and an use a spoon or oven gloves to pull the basket out. I can fit a decent size chicken in the philips with it removed.
    dealz thing worked very well for me.

It is cut to size, same original width and I think cut to 20cm the other way

chicken was 1560g, in breast side down

after 30mins 180C, was easy to take out, I used a knife on one side to pull the mesh away from the hot basket, it was not stuck just needed to get a finger down the side. As the mesh is not metal it is only warm to touch. I poured some juice & fat out into a cup for basting.

the chicken was easy to rollover while on the plate, esp. since it is non stick. With the metal mesh the skin used to fuse and cook onto the mesh, and all pull away from the meat.
    480258.JPG

The indents on the chicken disappear after cooking. This, below, is after another 30mins, 15@180C 15@190C, basting every 6-7mins, I take it out onto the plate again and poured in the fat in the cup again, this was enough for 2-3 bastes. Breast was tested and was 75C
    480259.JPG

480260.JPG

when rolled over the underside was not crisped up, this could be put back in again, or skin removed and cooked on its own.
    I'll be cooking Beef Stew. Would It be better to put it in a pyrex bowl instead of the tray?

The pyrex bowl is suitable for a regular oven but I'm not sure about the Airfryer.

I'm wondering could the liquid bubble up or spit towards the element.
    I would cover it with foil, the fan blowing right onto the top might dry it out of overcook it on the top. It might be tricky getting a hot glass bowl out of the airfryer.

EletricMan wrote: »
    Can you cork pork chops in an air fryer? Any idea how long it would take and if it's worth it. Find they dry out in the oven often.
    Definitely worth it. I am not sure of the times I used. A big tip is to go around the edge with a scissors or knife and cut into the fat, loads of little slits all the way along, as many as you can, mine are 4-5mm apart. If you do not then the fat shrinks and tends to curl up the pork chop like a rasher does. It also means the fat renders really well and crisps up beautifully as it has so much surface area.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Hey folks ,

Anyone have this Aldi air fryer , Ambiugano make , is it any good?

Also any tips for making air fryer crisps appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

any recommendations for airfryer thin chips/french fries?
    i use mccain french fries - 15 minutes on 185 - sometimes burnt

Aldi skin on fries are good, good reviews here on Boards.
    https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/p-crispy-skin-on-fries-800g-four-seasons/4088600285702
    https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-four-seasons-skin-on-fries-800g/4088600285702

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Hey folks ,

Anyone have this Aldi air fryer , Ambiugano make , is it any good?

Also any tips for making air fryer crisps appreciated

Fresh cuts chips still dripping wet into the air fryer at 170 for about 15 minutes. Dries them off and par cooks them. Back out, drop of oil and tons of decent ground salt. Chips being hot the oil spreads more easily and you use less.

Back in at 195 for 15 (in mine anyhow, Cosori). Used same method in old Philips.

Roosters are very crispy and fluffy inside. Maris Pipers are like chipper chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Why wouldn’t you take them out of the foil tray? To catch the garlic butter?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

Also the Tesco own-brand French Fries, if you like McD's style chips - lovely, and very cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

You should give them, say, 6 mins, then a good shake and another 6 - I do them at 200, and that would cook a good basket full evenly.

Advertisement