Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭Base price

NcdJd wrote: »
    True Base, we've a good few around the area. I notice too that they to be digging alot of little holes near the edges of the fields. I thought they were rabbits but now I'm convinced it's the badgers rooting for food.

My neighbour has livestock but never had any hassle touch wood.
    I've a sett at the home place and thankfully never had a issue with TB in cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Base price wrote: »
    I've a sett at the home place and thankfully never had a issue with TB in cattle.

I've 3 setts in 3 different parcels and have never had a problem. Closed herd though and all water troughs would be much too high for them

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Charolois 19

The grandfather always said that if you have badgers and no t.b to leave them be, that if you got rid of them new badgers might take over their set and bring it in with them, had 2 badgers sets at home for as long as we can remember and never thankfully went down on a test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Done, takes about a minute.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Spot the lapwing, there was about 6 or 7 on freshly ploughed ground today but had to zoom in so photo is not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Saw a flock of starlings out 'grazing' in the lashing rain. They must of been hungry after yesterday's snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Must have been a 100 lapwings in this flock today. Also plenty of yellow hammers in the fields with stubble left in them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Also plenty of yellow hammers in the fields with stubble left in them.

A little bit of bread and no cheese :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Must have been a 100 lapwings in this flock today. Also plenty of yellow hammers in the fields with stubble left in them.

Spring Tillage stubbles are one of the best winter habitats for so many birds. The ones near my parents place in North Kildare always hold impressive numbers of wintering,skylarks,finches, buntings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Pair of little egrets hanging around for most of the winter. They especially seem to like muddy areas of fields

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Pair of little egrets hanging around for most of the winter. They especially seem to like muddy areas of fields

Yes - they are experts at winkling out worms,frogs, small fish etc. from shallow water in flooded fields, rockpools etc. Have noticed a significant increase in them wintering in the shallow bays around my place in North Mayo this winter. Hopefully breeding will follow soon in the coming years:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Counted five hares in one of the fields beside the avenue this morning. I noticed that one of them was noticeably brighter around it's tail and along the inside of its hind legs than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

We had five buzzards in a field here Friday evening. Apparently they would be after worms at this time of the year?.

50966727273_03093942b0.jpg20210219_173124 by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Not seen 'my' buzzards in a while, hope they're ok. Normally nest down on a flat bit under the hill.
    Seen a stoat the other night! Caught eyes on the headtorch but knew it wasn't a fox or cat so walked slowly towards them & this yoke was chittering away at me. A scamp of a thing, no fear whatsoever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Not seen 'my' buzzards in a while, hope they're ok. Normally nest down on a flat bit under the hill.
    Seen a stoat the other night! Caught eyes on the headtorch but knew it wasn't a fox or cat so walked slowly towards them & this yoke was chittering away at me. A scamp of a thing, no fear whatsoever :D

Are you sure it wasn't a mink if it was so unafraid?

Are you sure it wasn't a mink if it was so unafraid?

Very sure. Think it had something killed & was guarding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

20210225-145625.jpg

20210225-145652.jpg

20210225-145705.jpg

20210225-145720.jpg

20210225-145749.jpg

20210225-145855.jpg

Poor fella must have been shot or poisoned.
    Found him today in the yard.
    Very freshly dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Sparrow Hawk?

Sparrow Hawk?

Looks to me like one.

Is there a taxidermy forum on here?
    Cos if there is.. anyone can have it.

Only condition is I won't be putting it in my freezer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

20210225-145625.jpg

20210225-145652.jpg

20210225-145705.jpg

20210225-145720.jpg

20210225-145749.jpg

20210225-145855.jpg

Very freshly dead.

That's a mighty conclusion to come too. Do you think you might be handling a bird flu victim?

• Advertisement

grassroot1 wrote: »
    That's a mighty conclusion to come too. Do you think you might be handling a bird flu victim?

Could be too.
    Won't be having it for dinner anyway.

Hands washed.

It's there if you want it yourself or know anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

grassroot1 wrote: »

I have came across a number of sick crows at various times over the years. Afaik bird flu is fairly endemic in the migratory wild bird population on a seasonal basis. I presume its not impossible that the migratory birds pass it on to our domestic birds.

The other possibility is that it hit a telegraph or electrical wire and was killed by the impact.

Very freshly dead.

I hope not as they are protected - they do have a habit of colliding with the likes of windows, overhead wires etc. when in pursuit of prey which might be a more likely cause of his demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

I had one dead at the side of my house 2 years ago.

Me being a responsible farmer and hunter reported it to the local NWPS warden.
    They agreed to take it from me.

I had to dispose of it just before Christmas as it was never collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Yes the Sparrowhawk gets killed a lot crashing into glass windows with the mirroe effect on sunny days unfortunately.

Your not supposed to handle any dead wild birds due to avian influenza.

Department of Agriculture are supposed to be contacted and their vets come and retrieve for tests.

There is a hotline number to

076 106 4403

1850 200 456

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Busy finches decimating this year's potential crop of plums.

Chaffinches ? One was more colourful than the other.

Gold finch.jpg

victoria plum tree.jpg

Gold finch.jpg

victoria plum tree.jpg

Male & female bullfinch. Gorgeous birds but rarely see them around here, they live in a scrubby bit under the hill so I see them when driving or walking.

Gold finch.jpg

victoria plum tree.jpg

Bullfinch, cock with the red, hen with the brown.

I have a pair here who feast on ordinary geranium buds or flowers in the garden. They're a picky couple who need a garden chair turned on it's side beside the plant to access this plant..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Bullfinch, cock with the red, hen with the brown.

I have a pair here who feast on ordinary geranium buds or flowers in the garden. They're a picky couple who need a garden chair turned on it's side beside the plant to access this plant..

I have a 20 ft high flowering plum in the garden. It flowers before the leaves arrive and is coming into flower now.

Two years ago at the end of Feb a male and two female bullfinches arrived and spent a week eating every bud on the tree. It was great to watch them.

I had high hopes last year but unfortunately they never came back.

• Advertisement

They make a very distinctive cheaping sound to one another.
    Very hard to see them but the cheaping is their giveaway that they're there.

Advertisement