Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"I'm not saying a plauge on both their house - I just hope both their houses collapse".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I thought the basesball chat they had was brilliant. Taking a story that, on the surface seemed worthwhile and then be educated as to why it was re-writing history by a still largely white organisation by a great contributor was one of their best recent work IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I thought the basesball chat they had was brilliant. Taking a story that, on the surface seemed worthwhile and then be educated as to why it was re-writing history by a still largely white organisation by a great contributor was one of their best recent work IMO.

Agreed. When I first got the notification saying they were covering baseball I thought US Murph was on so I didn't bother listening but when I seen it was actually a historical piece later on I listened immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Shane Horgan says scones wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

CiaranW wrote: »

Scone rhymes with own. I didn't hear how he pronounced it, but I assume he didn't rhyme it with own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Shaaaag Horgan (as Matt Williams would say) just can't catch a break on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Before you eat one it's sc-own, after you eat one it's sc-on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭boccy23

Ba-dum-tisch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

healy1835 wrote: »
    Shaaaag Horgan (as Matt Williams would say) just can't catch a break on this thread.

Here's Shane doing his rugby slot

ThriveInBoringMeetings2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Cienciano wrote: »
    Here's Shane doing his rugby slot

ThriveInBoringMeetings2.jpg

People want synths and royal coverage. No more rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭boccy23

People want synths and royal coverage. No more rugby.

Disagree with No Rugby.

I want more nuanced coverage than we get via Shaggy & Trims.

If anyone has any interest in US sports and doesn't like US Murph, listen to Bill Burr's podcast. He usually spends a lot of his podcast talking about sports. He's fairly knowledgeable and funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Cienciano wrote: »
    If anyone has any interest in US sports and doesn't like US Murph, listen to Bill Burr's podcast. He usually spends a lot of his podcast talking about sports. He's fairly knowledgeable and funny too.

I listen to Bill Simmons a bit. It's ok. Will give Burr a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I like BB and listened to his podcast quite a bit in the past, very samey though and got tired of it. Can't believe anyone is recommending it for sport. All he does is say so and so person or team is 'killing it' and similar phrases or such a team is a great franchise or a terrible one. The most in depth ive heard him talk about is motor racing but even then its very similar stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I listen to the Bill Burr pod. Oftentimes, after something mad has happened in America - his take on it can be pretty unique and hillarious .

I find him great, he can come up with some inspired off the cuff nonsense. A lot of comedians who do podcasts are strangely seriously unfunny - Marc Maron, Joe Rogan spring to mind, I can't believe those two in particular are actually professional comedians - but Bill gets me laughing my head off.

I enjoy his takes on sports. It's very biased and impressionistic,I don't know if I'd turn to him for analysis.

US Murph is as interesting as what he's talking about it for me. If it's a boring subject, then he's boring, but if it's interesting, then he's interesting.

Beersmith wrote: »
    I like BB and listened to his podcast quite a bit in the past, very samey though and got tired of it. Can't believe anyone is recommending it for sport. All he does is say so and so person or team is 'killing it' and similar phrases or such a team is a great franchise or a terrible one. The most in depth ive heard him talk about is motor racing but even then its very similar stuff.

In yesterdays one he didn't even mention sport! Usually a lot of the podcast is sport, not in depth analysis, but good all the same.
    Arghus wrote: »
    I listen to the Bill Burr pod. Oftentimes, after something mad has happened in America - his take on it can be pretty unique and hillarious .

I find him great, he can come up with some inspired off the cuff nonsense. A lot of comedians who do podcasts are strangely seriously unfunny - Marc Maron, Joe Rogan spring to mind, I can't believe those two in particular are actually professional comedians - but Bill gets me laughing my head off.

I enjoy his takes on sports. It's very biased and impressionistic,I don't know if I'd turn to him for analysis.

US Murph is as interesting as what he's talking about it for me. If it's a boring subject, then he's boring, but if it's interesting, then he's interesting.

I think one of the things is he is can have a rant about something and if it turns out he was wrong about it, he won't hide. He'll admit it.

Him trying to get into soccer during the world cup was great. He is a big sports fan, he watches everything and usually has great stories about going to games. His rant about philidelphia is great, one of the hardcore sports cities in america

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Please no more synth week!!

Ken’s synth picks are genuinely a triumph.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Really thought it was gonna be Silver Apples to play out.

What a week! Except for Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I reckon synth week reduced rugby chat by 50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

well I'm not a big fan of any music weeks on a sports podcast. But at least synth music is better than grunge, that fake genre invented by music journalists.

Full on in tears now synth week is over. It was fantastic, man.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭deisedude

On the topic of niche musical genres if they ever do a ska week I'm unsubscribing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

I love the music weeks!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I reckon synth week reduced rugby chat by 50%

They spent 50 minutes talking about it Wednesday, considering it was only a preview that was longer then they usually spend on it, I'd say they'll spend longer on it this week given there's more matches next week.

I thought the music chat was odd, I'm presuming it was just a very quiet week or they couldn't be arsed talking about any other sport, was interesting, never heard of Delia Derbyshire, sounds like the type of character Blindboy would cover, was interesting to hear about her, that piece of music the contributor recommended sounds bonkers even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Did ye hear Shane Horgans new buzzword "tariff"?
    He was blathering on about it last week on SC and again on the Virgin Media coverage from today's game. I find him very hard to listen to. He really hogs the airtime on whatever platform he's on. So boring.

He was blathering on about it last week on SC and again on the Virgin Media coverage from today's game. I find him very hard to listen to. He really hogs the airtime on whatever platform he's on. So boring.

No one knows cos no one listens to the rugby anymore :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

The ****ing state of that haha noticed it on the podcast and then again on the coverage today. The chap is absolutely insufferable to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

Ken again sidestepping the point that he supports Liverpool in his rebuttal to the anti-Liverpool bias claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Ken again sidestepping the point that he supports Liverpool in his rebuttal to the anti-Liverpool bias claims.

You'd never know he was a pool supporter in fairness. He's been very tough on them and hasn't pulled punches the way murf does about Utd.

Advertisement