Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone to compete with GoMo with “Clear Mobile”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Savage_Henry

^^ What he said. I had postmobile, but was hitting the 50gb limit, so i moved to clearmoblile. Youtube 1080 works fine (even hotspotting to pc)
    All other networks are a no-go in my area (Dublin 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I was talking to my mother last night and she had signed up to clear mobile to have her number ported.
    She did that a few days ago, sim hasnt arrived yet, and set the port for next weekend.
    Anyway having spoken to a neighbour on vodafone who told her there is no vodafone signal in the area. She has decided not to go ahead with it.
    So I went on to the clear mobile chat to cancel and spend an hour getting the run around and still they told me to come back in a few more days and they would see what they could do.
    Not impressed with them one bit.

So eventually we got them to cancel the port and the order for clear mobile.
    But they will not refund the €12.99 activation fee that they took off her card, even though she has no signa at her house.

They said they are entitled to keep it.

So be warned, if you sign up for clear, even with the cooling off period, you will still be charged €12.99

So make sure you really want it and that its better than what you have already before you proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭DopeTech

That activation fee is a bit lousy alright but I guess it's not their issue that you don't have signal in your house. Does the activation fee cover the part month up to your billing date like Gomo or do they make you pay double?

DopeTech wrote: »
    That activation fee is a bit lousy alright but I guess it's not their issue that you don't have signal in your house. Does the activation fee cover the part month up to your billing date like Gomo or do they make you pay double?

No. They are keeping the whole lot. Even though there was not one minute of service used.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yes the 12.99 is your first month covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Yes the 12.99 is your first month covered.

Kind of....first 25k get first month free but activation fee is still payable.

Whereas Gomo is first month included in the activation fee for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DubG12

In my lifetime I have never seen Vodafone offer a good deal for anything.

Why would you announce to compete with something that offers better features at a better price?

Agreed. I also got swept up with the Gomo offer, 3g was very shakey, so had to switch back to three. No good reception abroad either - nor does Vodafone these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭gipi

^^ What he said. I had postmobile, but was hitting the 50gb limit, so i moved to clearmoblile. Youtube 1080 works fine (even hotspotting to pc)

One to watch when switching from postmobile to clear mobile. My other half switched from postmobile to clear mobile in January. Postmobile have continued to charge their 20 euro, and when contacted, claim that he hasn't ported at all! Trying to sort it, but has been stung for double charges for Feb (we got March postmobile debit stopped).
    Clearmobile confirmed the January porting date for us yesterday, so it's back with postmobile at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Tr1ckieD1ckie

Anyone know if will a clearmobile SIM work in an Iphone 12 that's locked to Vodafone?

Or what about a postmobile SIM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Same question here but with a Vodafone P40 Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

bogman wrote: »
    Same question here but with a Vodafone P40 Pro.
    Postmobile sim worked for me in a 4G Router that was locked to Vodafone so imagine high chance it will work in your phone

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Thanks for the reply !

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

Do you mind me asking where you are in Dublin 8? GoMo works well for me here but it's a big area.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Guiness Storehouse / Pimlico / Earl St South
    Also Lidl thomas st is bad, but better than above.

jrmb wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you are in Dublin 8? GoMo works well for me here but it's a big area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

DubG12 wrote: »
    Agreed. I also got swept up with the Gomo offer, 3g was very shakey, so had to switch back to three. No good reception abroad either - nor does Vodafone these days.

At the end of the day, good network availability seals the deal. I got the early deal on GoMo having previously spent most of my life on Meteor and haven't had any issues. I'd be mainly based around Dublin but took the phone to Turkey and was able to receive calls/SMS no bother. I had a brief stint with Three but found their coverage was very intermittent, especially around Dublin 8.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

At the end of the day, good network availability seals the deal. I got the early deal on GoMo having previously spent most of my life on Meteor and haven't had any issues. I'd be mainly based around Dublin but took the phone to Turkey and was able to receive calls/SMS no bother. I had a brief stint with Three but found their coverage was very intermittent, especially around Dublin 8.

Ditto- based on network availability, I'd be inclined to go with Vodafone over anything on the Eircom network, any day of the week. Calls etc abroad (I'm up North regularly) is helpful, and the 5Mbps- while a bit pathetic, is fine for social media etc (even Youtube for the kids).

I'd be a lot happier if it were faster, but its not the deal breaker for me that it might be for others.

Note- this is for the kids, not for myself......... Also- most of the browsing will be on wifi rather than 3G/4G.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

gipi wrote: »
    One to watch when switching from postmobile to clear mobile. My other half switched from postmobile to clear mobile in January. Postmobile have continued to charge their 20 euro, and when contacted, claim that he hasn't ported at all! Trying to sort it, but has been stung for double charges for Feb (we got March postmobile debit stopped).
    Clearmobile confirmed the January porting date for us yesterday, so it's back with postmobile at the mo.

Is Postmobile not PAYG monthly top up only? Didn't realise you could sign up for a monthly DD option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is Postmobile not PAYG monthly top up only? Didn't realise you could sign up for a monthly DD option.

It's a monthly auto top up in the form of a recurring debit card transaction. DD amounts can vary from month to month whereas auto top up is a fixed amount each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭mrtom

54and56 wrote: »

Are there any PAYG Sim only deals available ?

• Advertisement

mrtom wrote: »
    Are there any PAYG Sim only deals available ?
    You don't have to agree to the automatic top up, but you get three extra days of unlimited calls and texts each month if you do. This way, you can basically get a twelfth month's service for free every year.

I seem to have spent the last week on with clear support. They are without a doubt the worst customer service in history.
    And that includes eir believe it or not.
    They wont give back my mothers number that she had for 20 years.
    She ordered it only to find no coverage in the area. So we cancelled it which was a nightmare.
    She tried to go back to gomo but clear kept saying that it was gomos fault that they ported the number to clear.

Eventually after getting sick of both of them we decided we would try to port the number to 3. 3 said it was rejected by clear when the they tried to port too. Clear are no help whatsoever and just lying the whole time. They wont even refund the €12.99.

This is all well within the cooling off period. Horrible company to deal with. I guess the number she has had for 20 years is now gone forever.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I seem to have spent the last week on with clear support. They are without a doubt the worst customer service in history.
    She ordered it only to find no coverage in the area. So we cancelled it which was a nightmare.
    She tried to go back to gomo but clear kept saying that it was gomos fault that they ported the number to clear.

Eventually after getting sick of both of them we decided we would try to port the number to 3. 3 said it was rejected by clear when the they tried to port too. Clear are no help whatsoever and just lying the whole time. They wont even refund the €12.99.

This is all well within the cooling off period. Horrible company to deal with. I guess the number she has had for 20 years is now gone forever.
    Can she still receive SMS messages at the old number (when there's coverage, of course)? You could ask GoMo (or An Post, or any other operator) to port the number back. An operator can't refuse to port your number like this.

The problem might have arisen because you cancelled the service. "Porting" involves transferring the number but "cancelling" involves giving it up. There's a lot of room for confusion, especially because Clear is a new operator. I fully understand your frustration but this could be difficult to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭KildareP

Does the Clear Mobile SIM get a signal in an area that definitely has Vodafone coverage? If no, the number is cancelled so it won't be possible to port it back to GoMo or anyone else via the normal way, which is about the only way the vast majority of staff in their contact centres will know of. You'll need to get Clear to reinstate it again and then port away.

If the SIM does still get signal with that number attached, then you should be able to port it off. To be honest, Three's porting system has been a mess since early last year - particularly if the number you are trying to bring over is an 086 prefix or was with Three/O2 at some point in the past - so I wouldn't be reliant on them as an indication things are going to plan or not. You can port the number online via GoMo's portal and it's fairly quick to tell you whether it's worked or not.
    Make sure you select Bill Pay, single line in the porting options, enter your Clear account number then select either Clear or Vodafone in the network dropdown (if clear doesn't show up).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You really should have ported the number to some other operator before you cancelled. It's rough to lose a number you had for 20 years.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Not going to be easy to get it back as you basically gave it up when you cancelled clear mobile. Maybe post a message on their twitter and explain the situation. They may be more likely to help if it's posted publicly. Just be polite though as it was your mistake and you need their help to get it back.

Not going to be easy to get it back as you basically gave it up when you cancelled clear mobile. Maybe post a message on their twitter and explain the situation. They may be more likely to help if it's posted publicly. Just be polite though as it was your mistake and you need their help to get it back.

It wasnt my mistake.

When I went onto their chat i especially asked them if there was a problem canceling the port. They said no problem. I went on again a couple of days later to make sure they were not going to port and they said they werent.
    I did everything possible to make sure they didnt port the number, but they went ahead and did it and then just basically gave the run around after that.
    They are a horrible company to deal with on their support.

I would advise people not to go to them tbh, or at least dont port your number until you have tried the service and are happy with it, because if anything goes wrong you might as well call your local green grocer to get help as clear mobile support.

It wasnt my mistake.

When I went onto their chat i especially asked them if there was a problem canceling the port. They said no problem. I went on again a couple of days later to make sure they were not going to port and they said they werent.
    I did everything possible to make sure they didnt port the number, but they went ahead and did it and then just basically gave the run around after that.
    They are a horrible company to deal with on their support.

I would advise people not to go to them tbh, or at least dont port your number until you have tried the service and are happy with it, because if anything goes wrong you might as well call your local green grocer to get help as clear mobile support.

Had you contacted Gomo and asked them to stop the port? At this stage it doesn't matter, clear took over the number which was then cancelled so they have the number. Gomo won't be able to get the number as they don't have it anymore. You need Clear to activate it again, will probably require you to sign up for 1 month and then once the number is live on a sim on Clear you can sign back up to Gomo or any other network and request your clear number to be porting in to the other network

• Advertisement

Had you contacted Gomo and asked them to stop the port? At this stage it doesn't matter, clear took over the number which was then cancelled so they have the number. Gomo won't be able to get the number as they don't have it anymore. You need Clear to activate it again, will probably require you to sign up for 1 month and then once the number is live on a sim on Clear you can sign back up to Gomo or any other network and request your clear number to be porting in to the other network

I contacted them over a week before the port was supposed to happen. And also 5 days before the port was supposed to happen.
    Anyway, just relaying my horrid experience with clear.
    Maybe other people had a lovely experience with their support, though i doubt it from my contact with them.

Advertisement