Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

@marlow; In the interests of transparency please disclose to the readers your interest. How many shares or fractions of shares do you own.
    It should be obvious I own none and what is more I have no position in Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

@marlow; In the interests of transparency please disclose to the readers your interest. How many shares or fractions of shares do you own.

I currently own 20 shares. I have owned some of these shares since 2019, so pre-split. I also don't intend to sell any of these shares before at least 2030, unless I absolutely need the funds, but intend to buy more, when i have spare funds.

I also own shares in Volvo and Quantumscape for reference, with a similar long term aim.

/M

ELM327 wrote: »
    Plenty of other stocks have gone down in the past 2-3 weeks, mostly big tech mncs. All are doing similar to Tesla, recovering value this week.
    Something bigger is afoot.

Yes. Institutional investors are pulling out of tech stocks overall and moving into other segments of the market overall in the US market. At least, that seems to be the notion.

Tesla did get a bigger hit, when Barrons fund had to sell 1.8 million shares, as it just had become a too big position of the fund and had achieved it's investment target. That was last week. He's not sold any of his personal shares.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Marlow wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with arrogance. It's efficient. No need to fix something, that isn't broken.

One thing that is broken, is Tesla's lack of build quality & customer care.
    They could well do with fixing that :P.
    Their roadmap has a monster truck, a hypercar and a vague commitment to a compact class car. That doesn't inspire confidence.

Oh, don't forget about the bigger cells, big fat ones, built right into the chassis, unrepairable when they fail, or if the car suffers damage underneath, say from running over road debris etc.
    Car = write off :eek:.
    slave1 wrote: »
    The financial markets disagree

The markets are crazy right now, no sense to them, volatile, illogical.
    You try telling that to the fanboys who are pumping the stock. Elon is taking them to the moon mars and back, yes sirree..

Is he still smoking pot?

:D.
    Tesla gets more range out of the batteries in their cars than anyone else.

My (first released in) 2016, air-cooled battery, Korean economy car was more efficient than Tesla's best. It was actually far easier to get more efficiency too because it coasted - none of that one peddal driving malarchy :P.
    I bought as high as 850. Am I worried ? No.

I hope you didn't invest too much at $850. It's never easy to see one's hard earned money disappear into the back pocket of a tech billionaire :(.

For the record, have a Tesla, it's OK, but it's no Porsche :pac:.

Kramer wrote: »
    My (first released in) 2016, air-cooled battery, Korean economy car was more efficient than Tesla's best. It was actually far easier to get more efficiency too because it coasted - none of that one peddal driving malarchy :P.

It's the exception though. I mean compared to other BEVs. And the cooling isn't all of it, that makes up the range.
    I hope you didn't invest too much at $850. It's never easy to see one's hard earned money disappear into the back pocket of a tech billionaire :(.

Nope. 2 of my shares are bought above the current valuation. One of them barely. It'll be profitable again today, I reckon.
    For the record, have a Tesla, it's OK, but it's no Porsche :pac:.

I don't own a Tesla, nor a Porsche ... oh wait .. I have an oul clapped out Porsche 924 sitting in the shed. But I will probably buy a Tesla eventually. I nearly did before Xmas.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

No. The likes of Ark Invest and Ron Barron.

Having said that, the retail investors at least did get it right. The majority of wall street didn't. The hedge funds shorting Tesla lost more money last year on shorting Tesla, than the world wide airline industry did loose.

/M

That doesn't mean a thing. Ark is an ETF provider. They buy on behalf of ETF clients and not because they think TESLA is a good buy. Well not 100% accurate as in they think it is hot which is why they put it in their ETFs.
    Tesla is overvalued by most measures. Doesn't negate all the other things you are saying about their growth and selling all they can produce.
    Also note how GME turned out in the end. TSLA has been in a downtrend for the past month and a half but it is still up 8x in the past year.

garo wrote: »
    Also note how GME turned out in the end.

That there was pure speculation and a big gamble. Actually on both the hedge funds and the retail investors. And a lot .. especially hedge funds, but also retail investors, got hurt on that one. That can hardly be compared to the Tesla situation.
    TSLA has been in a downtrend for the past month and a half but it is still up 8x in the past year.

As have most tech stocks for above mentioned reasons. They'll rebound. As I said ... unless you're in it for the long term, don't buy it. A lot of future stuff is build into the pricing. And it shot that far up, because it has been held down for so long, while there was no reason for it apart from short positions. Market dynamics.

/M

I don't understand what you mean by "it was held down for so long". By whom or what? You recall their SolarCity acquisition at a ridiculously high price?

I don't understand what you mean by "it was held down for so long". By whom or what?

By short positions. If you look back on Tesla stock from 2014 to 2019, the stock price was sitting at approx 200$ the entire time (45$ split adjusted), while they literally were growing and evolving with no reflection in an increase in stock pricing. And that's not how a stock should react, when a company grows positively.

In January/February 2020 the stock then started climbing, probably as a result, how well Giga Shanghai had been executed. The first cars came off the assembly line just before end 2019.

It dipped again with the shutdown of both factories because of Covid, but it's gone up majorly ever since.

There's a number of factors to that: profitable quarters even if you discard carbon credit sales, inclusion in S&P500, 500k production achieved that was touted in 2014 and well, the high amount of retail investors, which probably is part of Covids fault. More people sitting at home having nothing better to do than looking at the stock market :)

So the stock has just been catching up on the growth it didn't have in previous years. Just my personal 2c. Don't take it as gospel.
    You recall their SolarCity acquisition at a ridiculously high price?

Yes, I do. There's mixed opinions on that one. Worked out in the end though.

/M

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Anyhow, another feather to the Tesla cap perhaps, the Tesla Mobile...matching into Starlink
    https://www.globaltrends.us/2021/03/elon-musk-may-move-into-smartphone.html

photo-1-16153356003151320329171.webp

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Anyhow, another feather to the Tesla cap perhaps, the Tesla Mobile...matching into Starlink

Yep .. there's been teasing about that going on for a few days.

/M

You need to show us how short interest has changed since 2013 for your thesis to be correct. If short interest has remained the same or even increased then your theory of stock being held down down not hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,019 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You need to show us how short interest has changed since 2013 for your thesis to be correct. If short interest has remained the same or even increased then your theory of stock being held down down not hold.

The TSLA shorts lost more last year than any other shorts on any other stock has ever lost on any financial market. I guess those fools learnt a very hard lesson and won't try it again. There were plenty of them on the TSLA stock value discussion thread but we obviously haven't heard from them in quite some time

This is the wrong thread for the TSLA stock value discussion, it's off topic here. This is the thread for it:

Linky

So the Sandyford Supercharger has moved to "permit" status on superchargeinfo.

Good news, moved to Permit status, V3 superchargers

Bad news, 4 stalls :eek:
    Much rather 8 stalls at 130kW

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'll most likely never need or use it, so it doesn't really bother me how many stalls it is..
    Sandyford is 50km from home, so unless passing and I won't make it home....

Cork and Athenry would be the big ones for me..

They should be targeting more strategic locations... I think the M1/M50 interchange would be a great spot.. Theres a Circle K, and 2 hotels (one of them brand new). Perfect for anyone coming from a distance to Dublin Airport, or heading in/out of the city through the tunnel etc...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s stalled again. The guys who lodged the planning application made a mess of it and it has been returned and marked as invalid.

They have to start the planning process again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

It’s quite a small site, they would struggle up fit 8 stalls in there.

Gumbo wrote: »
    It’s stalled again. The guys who lodged the planning application made a mess of it and it has been returned and marked as invalid.

They have to start the planning process again.

I heard that, hoping it wasn't true

markpb wrote: »
    It’s quite a small site, they would struggle up fit 8 stalls in there.

6 then!!!, 4 in a Capital city is not a lot
    I'll most likely never need or use it, so it doesn't really bother me how many stalls it is..
    Sandyford is 50km from home, so unless passing and I won't make it home....

I will hardly ever use it, but it's nice that it opens up the potential for further drives and (for me) free charging along the way.

I hope there's 24/7 access

it's nice that it opens up the potential for further drives and (for me) free charging along the way.

I hope there's 24/7 access

True enough.. if I was ever heading down the N/M11 direction, it would be a site I'd pass, so yeah, I would factor it in...

It can be just a little sh1tty getting back onto the M50 from the SC though, which is why I much prefer 'online' options... (took me 35 minutes last week to get from SC to around the corner at the Beacon Hospital (ok there were road works, but still it's a bit of a pinch point location).

and for any Dublin based folk about to lose referral km's, it's ideal to go and use them up there...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I heard that, hoping it wasn't true

Afraid so :(

546798.jpg

• Advertisement

Well the refusal turnaround was quite quick, I'd be optimistic for Q3 this year.

Now if they could just sort out Enfield which is now at number 4 worldwide waiting list

Also, interesting NI based contractor?

Also, interesting NI based contractor?

Seems they also have an office/yard in Balbriggan..

http://www.mm-contractors.com/get-in-touch/

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Now if they could just sort out Enfield which is now at number 4 worldwide waiting list

Ha! I've been told it's coming next quarter - when I ordered my Model S in 2017... Still bleedin' waiting..

I’m guessing there’ll be at least 1,000 new Tesla’s on the road in Ireland this year... add to that the almost 800 new ones last year, and surely it’ll make them take note and finally get the finger out.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭sk8board

Barely a month after their update in last months annual results, they’ve kicked the delivery date out on the Plaid to “mid 2022”, and also pushed the price up.
    They really didn’t know this just a few weeks ago? Come on.
    These guys really are jokers when it comes to dates.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-delays-model-plaid-plus-052321952.html

sk8board wrote: »
    Barely a month after their update in last months annual results, they’ve kicked the delivery date out on the Plaid to “mid 2022”, and also pushed the price up.

That's just the Plaid Plus that's pushed out, the Plaid is not impacted.
    In reality how many would have been going for the Plaid Plus?

Tesla change their car prices all the time, a lot of times they go down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭sk8board

That's just the Plaid Plus that's pushed out, the Plaid is not impacted.
    In reality how many would have been going for the Plaid Plus?

Tesla change their car prices all the time, a lot of times they go down!

I appreciate that, but to put it in some perspective, they announced the Model Y 2 years ago (Mar 2019), and there’s no sign of them here for the foreseeable.

VW announced the id4 at the end of sept and 5 months later the first Irish deliveries happened this weekend.

They can’t deliver on even half of their promises.
    Delivering cars in Ireland is all that matters; what they deliver elsewhere is meaningless. the Y is a real contender here, but the id4 looks like it’s going to fit our market requirements like a glove.

If you buy a M3 today, which is a pretty ‘new’ car for us, it’s a car announced in March 2016, five years ago

It was easy for Tesla to have people’s patience while the others were dithering for years. Now they’re producing at scale and Tesla will lose that patience very quickly for something that’s a commodity purchase for most folks.

You know there is such a thing as “Musk” time....the wait is worth it.
    The Y would have been here by now except production is earmarked for Berlin, same as 3 earmarked for China.
    In time China will get the Model 2

Delivering cars in Ireland is all that matters; what they deliver elsewhere is meaningless. the Y is a real contender here, but the id4 looks like it’s going to fit our market requirements like a glove.
    It was easy for Tesla to have people’s patience while the others were dithering for years. Now they’re producing at scale and Tesla will lose that patience very quickly for something that’s a commodity purchase for most folks.

One thing is, that you're talking about delivery times for Europe / Ireland, which didn't exist for Europe in the first place. It's a known fact, that the Model Y won't be available for Europe until Giga Berlin is build. Yet you speak about broken promises. I can't recall, that they even gave us a launch date for the Model Y in Europe yet.

The other thing is, that they're still selling every single car they build .. anywhere in the world. They can't build enough cars, even at scale, at the moment. And to sell those in areas, where they actually produce them makes the most sense.

So as long as there is more demand than what they can supply, it's only a problem for those who can't wait. There's overall more going for a Tesla than any of the other EVs. Especially if you want to travel longer distances

[RANT]But then again, most irish car purchasing individuals don't bother checking the details. There's a reason car companies ship lower spec models to Ireland than any other country[/RANT] Because as you say .. it's just a commodity, so it'll be grand. Why do you think, that Ireland most certainly won't get prioritised ? Hint, hint.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I appreciate that, but to put it in some perspective, they announced the Model Y 2 years ago (Mar 2019), and there’s no sign of them here for the foreseeable.

VW announced the id4 at the end of sept and 5 months later the first Irish deliveries happened this weekend.

They can’t deliver on even half of their promises.

If you buy a M3 today, which is a pretty ‘new’ car for us, it’s a car announced in March 2016, five years ago

Look how crap the ID in car software is. Glitchy. Laggy. Terrible.

You can buy a model Y for almost a year at this stage. The delay in Europe is down to German bureaucracy!

Advertisement