Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Good In The Supermarkets? (Excluding Aldi & Lidl)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Ryath wrote: »
    I usually get them in Dunnes too but I only shop there occasionally, they used to be more widely available but they seem hard to get now. I've never seen them either of the two Super values I shop in and the tesco I used get them in doesn't seem to stock them any more. M&S have their own brand ones which I pick up the odd time.

Delicious with butter and raspberry jam, though I'm also quite partial to making a breakfast sambo with black pudding, egg and rasher!

I must have a go making my own.

I keep meaning to try making them too, or even griddle bread!
    Just in case you hadn't thought of it, they freeze really well. I stock up every few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

dee_mc wrote: »
    I keep meaning to try making them too, or even griddle bread!
    Just in case you hadn't thought of it, they freeze really well. I stock up every few weeks!

Great idea! Glad to know there's a fan club out there for them :P

I love the shape / thickness of them as much as anything, a great big wedge of nyom!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tesco finest dark chocolate covered stem ginger biscuits are really really good. A real grownup biscuit. Proper dark and proper gingery.
    Belgian milk chocolate and orange are very good, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭sporina

Tesco Chipotle Chilli paste - hmm hmm hmm... really perked up our Chilli Con Carne last night - lovely smokey chilli flavour.. could not imagine making it without this now.. gave it so much more dimension

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

sporina wrote: »
    Tesco Chipotle Chilli paste - hmm hmm hmm... really perked up our Chilli Con Carne last night - lovely smokey chilli flavour.. could not imagine making it without this now.. gave it so much more dimension

Tesco also sell Gran Luchito chipotle paste, it's excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im laughing because I was just literally coming in here to recommend the Marks and Sparks chipotle paste in adobo and saw your post recommending the Tesco version. I used the M&S version in a big pot of chilli last night and it really gave it that smokey flavour. The M&S one though is in a tiny jar, I used all of it for 6 portions of chilli. Must check out the Tesco version.

I used to always use the chipotle chilli in adobo by the Cool Chilli Company but Fallon & Byrne seem to have stopped selling it and I cant find it anywhere else. It can be bought online but only with crazy delivery fees.

Just on the M&S theme their own branded 'Special Burger Sauce' is almost identical to McDonalds Big Mac sauce, it goes great on burgers.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Tesco also sell Gran Luchito chipotle paste, it's excellent!

thanks - must try that one.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im laughing because I was just literally coming in here to recommend the Marks and Sparks chipotle paste in adobo and saw your post recommending the Tesco version. I used the M&S version in a big pot of chilli last night and it really gave it that smokey flavour. The M&S one though is in a tiny jar, I used all of it for 6 portions of chilli. Must check out the Tesco version.

ha ha thats mad alright - M&S have some v good condiments.. I love their Soy, Ginger and Garlic paste - great for marinading fish like Hake, Haddock etc.. (tonight's dinner actually)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Good that I was able to get chilli powder in Dunnes but not in Aldi. Why is that?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Good that I was able to get chilli powder in Dunnes but not in Aldi. Why is that?

maybe Brexit.. there are a few items I have not been able to get in supermarkets this year.. I hope things get back to normal soon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I haven't been able to find onion granules anywhere since before Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No fruit splits in Tesco anymore.

Loughnane's chicken sausages from Dunnes Stores.

Very good. Blas na hEireann gold award.

Went looking for this but couldnt find it on the shelf, is it a Tesco own brand? I did get a jar of a brand called Costena to try out for the next batch of chilli

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Went looking for this but couldnt find it on the shelf, is it a Tesco own brand? I did get a jar of a brand called Costena to try out for the next batch of chilli
    I use it all the time, it's a Tesco own brand and it's located in my local one beside the herbs and spices. It can be awkward to spot sometimes, especially after the label changed.

yep its Tesco own brand - usually where the Thai curry pastes are.. (if you could call them that).. man I miss "The Ingredients" range.. still not found a thai red curry paste as nice as the one from that range.. grr...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I looked on tesco.ie (and tesco.co.uk) and couldn't see anything that might be Tesco-brand chipotle paste :(

yep its Tesco own brand - usually where the Thai curry pastes are.. (if you could call them that).. man I miss "The Ingredients" range.. still not found a thai red curry paste as nice as the one from that range.. grr...

Thanks, will look out for it next time. I was in one of the smaller Tescos so it might not have been stocked there. Will be in one of the larger Extra stores next time out so will hopefully find it there.

tangy wrote: »
    I looked on tesco.ie (and tesco.co.uk) and couldn't see anything that might be Tesco-brand chipotle paste :(
    I took this photo really quickly so it's not the best but attached is what the jar looks like.

Thanks, will look out for it next time. I was in one of the smaller Tescos so it might not have been stocked there. Will be in one of the larger Extra stores next time out so will hopefully find it there.
    I get it in Tesco Liffey Valley in Dublin if that's any use to you.

SuperValu bran flakes are fantastic - much better than Kelloggs - Tesco own brand come second for me, followed by Lidl.

Love the Tesco organic jumbo oats for 79cents - lovely chunky porridge

these seem to be delisted from our local store - such a shame as my OH loves em.. can you still get them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

maybe Brexit.. there are a few items I have not been able to get in supermarkets this year.. I hope things get back to normal soon

Possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There has been a bit of talk in the Lidl/Aldi threads about oranges - but hands down the best I've had lately are the net of squeezing oranges from Tesco - you get 10 or 11 for €1.59, and they're so sweet and juicy!

And the ones I've got so far are a helluva lot fresher than the Lidl/Aldi ones I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

[/B]

these seem to be delisted from our local store - such a shame as my OH loves em.. can you still get them?

They seem to be gone - maybe a brexit casualty? Gutted - they should have been a red line at the negotiating table :(:(

Follain Chargrilled Red Pepper Relish - hmm its delicious.. could eat it with a spoon straight from the jar.. (I love it with hummus etc)

Dealz, for extra big bottles of Fairy washing up liquid for €2.

Because the Lidl stuff is sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Because the Lidl stuff is sh1te.

Yes it is. Once upon a time, it was good. Good no longer. Do they think we don't notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Would this need to be cooked into the chilli from the start, or could one add it when reheating?

I spotted it in Tesco the other day, but couldn't remember who'd recommended it or why, so didn't bother buying it! But I have home-made chilli in the freezer that will be coming out soon.....

In other news, there's been quite a bit of discussion about the (crap) quality of Aldi/Lidl cool tortilla chips lately. Well, the nicest for my money by an absolute mile are the ones you get in M&S, waaaaay nicer than Doritos, and very good value IMO.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Would this need to be cooked into the chilli from the start, or could one add it when reheating?

I spotted it in Tesco the other day, but couldn't remember who'd recommended it or why, so didn't bother buying it! But I have home-made chilli in the freezer that will be coming out soon.....

In other news, there's been quite a bit of discussion about the (crap) quality of Aldi/Lidl cool tortilla chips lately. Well, the nicest for my money by an absolute mile are the ones you get in M&S, waaaaay nicer than Doritos, and very good value IMO.

during the cooking - when I have browned the mince I add it in with the tomatoes, puree, beans etc.. I add a few squares of dark chocolate too - goes really well with it imo.. and better the day after cooking.. hmm.. lots of coriander, lime and sour cream to finish - yum.. you can use your tortilla's too if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

It is better whilst cooking but i have added it when reheating. I would heat it up in a saucepan and add it then rather than microwave it. Just gives it that extra something

• Advertisement

Ive been in two Tescos now a coupe of times looking for that chipotle paste but couldnt find it and one was an Exttra store where they normally stock everything. For those who got it was it stocked among all the Mexican stuff like the El Paso dinner kits and the likes? I found the Costena brand chipoltle paste in that section but there was no Tesco version beside it.

Advertisement