Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Good In The Supermarkets? (Excluding Aldi & Lidl)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Jia Jia.
    Great shop. Family run and very friendly.

I've been shopping there since it opened. Turned out that the woman thought I ran a restaurant - we were buying so much Chinese food!

There's another chinese shop just around the corner down the lane on Daltons terrace, used to do really good food around €9 a plate but has stopped for awhile, not as friendly but good selection of stuff also

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Love mister bells always find something new, check out the Chinese shop down the coal quay a right little treasure trove..
    Jia Jia.
    Great shop. Family run and very friendly.

I've been shopping there since it opened. Turned out that the woman thought I ran a restaurant - we were buying so much Chinese food!
    There's another chinese shop just around the corner down the lane on Daltons terrace, used to do really good food around €9 a plate but has stopped for awhile, not as friendly but good selection of stuff also

I was going to ask in the Cork forum, but while we're here: Do any of the Asian shops in Cork have freezers with things like dumplings in them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Faith wrote: »
    I was going to ask in the Cork forum, but while we're here: Do any of the Asian shops in Cork have freezers with things like dumplings in them?

Jia Jia does have a chilled and freezer section. Not sure about the dumplings, but well worth a look.

There is also another big Chinese supermarket nearby, down a lane way. Worth a look in there too.

Edit: Tipperary animal lover mentioned that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Faith wrote: »

Yes, Jia Jia has lots of dumplings and other dim sum in the freezer.
    Apart from the obvious dumplings, try the sticky rice in lotus lead parcels and the char su pork steamed buns. They also have (in the upright freezer) chines pancakes which are lovely with duck or anything else - like an Asian soft taco.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Has anyone seen frozen lobster tails anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,947 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Nal wrote: »
    Has anyone seen frozen lobster tails anywhere?

Tesco had some a while back but no sign now I'm afraid.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Tesco had some a while back but no sign now I'm afraid.

Yeah so did Lidl but none around anywhere it seems.

On a fish buzz at the moment. We've access to some of the best fish in the world yet its not in our culture. Weird one that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Iceland, macrons, €3.50 for 12 delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Havent been in Iceland in ages but I do like their frozen chocolate eclairs, only 1.49 for a box of 8 of them iirc.They defrost in about 10 minutes and are then ready to eat. Must pop in for some and to see what else is to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Picked up a Gino D'acampo frozen pizza in Iceland the other day when picking up a few other bits. Have to say it was lovely. Even nicer than the Dunnes Simply Better pizzas and the Saturdays Pizza's which are also great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah so did Lidl but none around anywhere it seems.

On a fish buzz at the moment. We've access to some of the best fish in the world yet its not in our culture. Weird one that.
    Aldi will have lobster tails and claws on the 20th, not sure if frozen though.

Aldi will have lobster tails and claws on the 20th, not sure if frozen though.

Yeah, i noticed lobster tails in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Dunnes excellence sausages.
    Pack of 4 large ones and 90% pork and are great for toad in the hole or just in some crusty bread.

Got this in Delitaly in Cork (Italian deli), so not sure if it's available in supermarkets.
    It's pre-grated pecorino, and I usually avoid pre-grated hard cheese, but I really love this.
    €2.80

Transforms soups!

IMG-20210114-113307.jpg

Dunnes Stores.

Piadia organic flatbread.
    I really like these, but be aware that they are very thick. 4 in a pack but very filling.

I loved Dunnes own brand flatbread (the smallish Lebanese one) and similar pita. Speckled black.

The three items that I especially went to look for, based on a poster's recommendation here, I could not find. Don't appear to be in stock in the Patrick Street (Cork) store.

Epoisse cheese
    Pickle relish
    Excellence Sausage

The smoky chilli and tomato soup is very nice, but too sweet for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I buy the sausages in ballyvolane dunnes if you are ever out that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »

The three items that I especially went to look for, based on a poster's recommendation here, I could not find. Don't appear to be in stock in the Patrick Street (Cork) store.

That's a really poor Dunnes supermarket, which is a shame as it's the site of the first ever Dunnes.
    In fact, all the city centre supermarkets are poor compared to their suburban counterparts - crappy Tesco and the supervalu is rubbish, too.
    The Aldi and Lidl are alright.

I guess we have The English Market to make up for it!

I have a supermarket non recommendation : Tesco own brand "marmite" has gotten really poor. It used to be good - different to Marmite but nice. Now it gotten really thin and weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Dunnes stores own brand frozen sausage rolls are very good according to my husband and son.
    Not exactly fine dining but a handy snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Good Herdsman organic beef burgers in SV - really nice. €4 for 400g pack of in a 3 for €10 at the moment which is good value imo for organic beef

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Dunnes Stores 'Italian meat and roasted red pepper pizza' - there is a small bit of sausage/salami (brown, crumbled up) that is the most spicy piece of food I can ever remember eating. So spicy that after a few minutes I couldn't taste anything else.

I don't go searching for spicy foods, but I don't avoid spice either. I don't dislike spice. But this was the spiciest I have ever had. The rest of the pizza is fairly plain without much spice if you scrape off that bit (which I had to).

Has anyone else had this before and what did they think of the spicy piece?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I haven't had that pizza but it sounds to me like it could be nduja sausage, which I love actually. Google it!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

I haven't had that pizza but it sounds to me like it could be nduja sausage, which I love actually. Google it!

I did and it looks very similar! That's probably it. Thanks!

SV own brand chunky chips (frozen) are very nice and not too calorific!

Dunnes Simply Better 70% Mint Chocolate - really nice and a solid % of cocoa. No crispy bits so just mint essence.

Paul Rankin Buttermilk Mini Soda Breads in SV - a lovely slight sourness to them.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/bakery-crumpets-farls-pancakes-waffles-rankin-mini-soda-285-g-/p-1075350000

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I do not like Chardonnay at all normally. But among my birthday goodies my mother in law gave me a bottle of Faustina V Chardonnay Rioja and it's the nicest white wine I've had in a long time.

I checked Tesco for it and it's usually close to €17, but currently going for a tenner.

Highly recommended for palates that enjoy crisp whites like Italian pinot grigio or NZ sauv blanc.

I do not like Chardonnay at all normally. But among my birthday goodies my mother in law gave me a bottle of Faustina V Chardonnay Rioja and it's the nicest white wine I've had in a long time.

I checked Tesco for it and it's usually close to €17, but currently going for a tenner.

Highly recommended for palates that enjoy crisp whites like Italian pinot grigio or NZ sauv blanc.

Oh that sounds lovely.

I know nothing about white wine, and am put off by the sweetness of some. Must try this, thanks for posting ME.

(I had a beautiful Muscadet in a French vineyard years ago, so pure and subtle, it was like drinking the best water. Could never find anything like it here)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Paul Rankin Buttermilk Mini Soda Breads in SV - a lovely slight sourness to them.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/bakery-crumpets-farls-pancakes-waffles-rankin-mini-soda-285-g-/p-1075350000

I get these in Dunnes - hadn't seen them anywhere else.
    Delicious toasted with real butter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

dee_mc wrote: »
    I get these in Dunnes - hadn't seen them anywhere else.
    Delicious toasted with real butter!

I usually get them in Dunnes too but I only shop there occasionally, they used to be more widely available but they seem hard to get now. I've never seen them either of the two Super values I shop in and the tesco I used get them in doesn't seem to stock them any more. M&S have their own brand ones which I pick up the odd time.

Delicious with butter and raspberry jam, though I'm also quite partial to making a breakfast sambo with black pudding, egg and rasher!

I must have a go making my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A non recommendation here. Dunnes own brand Garlic and Herb doughballs, 12 in a packet for 2.99. Was expecting them to be soft, doughy and chewy but they had a hard crust which wasnt nice. Thought I might have over cooked them despite following instructions so on the second batch gave the a few minutes less but they were still not that soft. The ones Tesco do as part of their take away pizza range are much nicer.

Also got the El Paso guacamole in a squeezy bottle in Dunnes to go on some carnita tacos. Its alrirght but think the Lidl version is virtually identical for half the price (99c v 1.99). Theres no Lidl in my area so will have to stock up with a few of them when we can cross country borders again.

Advertisement