Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Mikey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A 6 month driving ban for Richie seems very harsh for texting while stopped in traffic considering that there are so much more dangerous things going on.
    he didn't get banned specifically for texting, though; in that he was already at 9 or 10 points on his licence and this was what pushed him to 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭cletus

It's a fact. He has got drivers disqualified, including Guy Ritchie. His actions resulted in fewer dangerous drivers on London roads.

It's not debatable. It's a fact.

It's a fact that he got drivers banned. Do you have the numbers to show that there has been a reduction of the number of dangerous drivers. Statistically speaking, the amount of people he has had removed is probably insignificant. I'm obviously being facetious here, but the point is, there are few absolutes in this world that are beyond debate.

I watched the Guy Ritchie video, as you had referenced it. He was sitting in stopped traffic reading a text or email or something. Did he break the law? Absolutely. Was he a dangerous driver? That's also debatable.

There's loads of stuff around this guy's videos that is debatable. Debatable means just that - people will have differing opinions, and will discuss them. It's possible for people not to have a problem with the sanctions receives by people in his videos, but still have a problem with how he conducts himself

• Registered Users Posts: 24,687 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

cletus wrote: »
    It's a fact that he got drivers banned. Do you have the numbers to show that there has been a reduction of the number of dangerous drivers. Statistically speaking, the amount of people he has had removed is probably insignificant. I'm obviously being facetious here, but the point is, there are few absolutes in this world that are beyond debate.

I watched the Guy Ritchie video, as you had referenced it. He was sitting in stopped traffic reading a text or email or something. Did he break the law? Absolutely. Was he a dangerous driver? That's also debatable.

There's loads of stuff around this guy's videos that is debatable. Debatable means just that - people will have differing opinions, and will discuss them. It's possible for people not to have a problem with the sanctions receives by people in his videos, but still have a problem with how he conducts himself

It's not debatable because Renko says so. End of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

he didn't get banned specifically for texting, though; in that he was already at 9 or 10 points on his licence and this was what pushed him to 12.
    Ah fair enough. I was wondering why it was so harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A 6 month driving ban for Richie seems very harsh for texting while stopped in traffic considering that there are so much more dangerous things going on.

He was already on nine points for three speeding offences, so the six points for phone use pushed him over the edge.

Some people can be a bit slow to learn.

• Advertisement

He got a number of dangerous drivers disqualified. By definition, that means there are fewer dangerous drivers on the road.

You're moving the goalposts again by introducing 'statistically significant'. It is not debatable that there are fewer dangerous drivers on the road as a result of his actions.

If you want to look at the number of drivers given points and fines, then you're getting into statistically significant territory.
    Reading texts while stopped in traffic IS dangerous. You're supposed to be watching what's going on around you. There is also a very good chance that you'll be tempted to keep reading as you drive off. He WAS a dangerous driver, even before you consider his previous speeding offences.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It's not debatable because Renko says so. End of :)

It's not debateable because it is a fact. He got drivers disqualified, therefore there are fewer dangerous drivers on the road.

If there is some flaw in my logic, please point it out. Otherwise, it IS a fact.

It's not debateable because it is a fact. He got drivers disqualified, therefore there are fewer dangerous drivers on the road.

If there is some flaw in my logic, please point it out. Otherwise, it IS a fact.

Despite your belief that you are the authority on all things round here you do not get to decide what is debatable. That's a fact

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Collective responsibility applies to all but its a lot easier to target minority groups.

Collective responsibility is nonsense. I'm not responsible for the behaviour of other cyclists, or other motorists, or other boards users.

The only sensible response to anyone who tries to impose collective responsibility on any group, majority or otherwise, is to tell them that they're being a bit silly.

Despite your belief that you are the authority on all things round here you do not get to decide what is debatable. That's a fact

So no flaws in the logic that you can actually point out then, that's what I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I would argue that if you've already racked up 9 or 10 points, and you STILL can't leave your phone while in the act of driving if the car (accepting he wasn't in motion at the time) , then overall, it's probably beneficial for everyone's safety that you get a little time-out on the naughty step.

I also think the same people that commit the more minor infractions of phone use whilst stationary are generally the same people that don't see the problem with much more serious act of driving along with their phones up to their ears, Its all part of the same culture and "me first" thinking that needs to be torn down.

As far CyclingMikey, I don't have an issue with what he does. The standard "none of your business" response he often gets raises my hackles because I'd be of the view what some morons do in their car on the road is very much my business and the business of everybody who has to share the road with them.

Would I do what he does myself? No., not least because I wouldn't count for a second on any sort of support or backup from our boys in blue. In the videos I've seen of him, his initial interactions have looked pretty polite, and I've never seen him call people names except in retaliation when they were hurling that sort of abuse at him.

So no flaws in the logic that you can actually point out then, that's what I thought.

No problem with the logic that he got some drivers points. My problem is with the way you talk to people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭cletus

He got a number of dangerous drivers disqualified. By definition, that means there are fewer dangerous drivers on the road.

You're moving the goalposts again by introducing 'statistically significant'. It is not debatable that there are fewer dangerous drivers on the road as a result of his actions.

If you want to look at the number of drivers given points and fines, then you're getting into statistically significant territory.

Reading texts while stopped in traffic IS dangerous. You're supposed to be watching what's going on around you. There is also a very good chance that you'll be tempted to keep reading as you drive off. He WAS a dangerous driver, even before you consider his previous speeding offences.

Look, I'm going to leave it at this now. You are putting forward your thoughts and opinions on this as if they were irrefutable, or as if other people cannot have differing thoughts or opinion.

I'm not moving the goal posts by talking about statistically significant. You are talking about an overall reduction in dangerous drivers by this man. You can't offer figures to back this up. There are, out there somewhere, statists for the amount of penalty points given in London, the amount of crashes, accidents etc. An increase of one or two in (presumably) large numbers like that would be considered insignificant, insofar as the overall numbers are not impacted by such a small change.

Regarding whether reading texts in stopped traffic is dangerous. You have to define what we mean by dangerous driving. Is it the same as driving at 100kph in a 30kph zone? Do we acknowledge that there are differing levels of what constitutes dangerous?

You make an assumption that a driver is more likely to read texts while moving than while stopped. Do you have anything to back up that claim? If so you haven't provided it, but use it to claim that he was a dangerous driver.

The fact that he was put off the road because he had accumulated a number of offences speaks directly to the point I made about punishment and amendment of behaviour.

What all of this comes down to is not really whether he is right or wrong, but your assertion that it is beyond debate

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Collective responsibility is nonsense. I'm not responsible for the behaviour of other cyclists, or other motorists, or other boards users.

The only sensible response to anyone who tries to impose collective responsibility on any group, majority or otherwise, is to tell them that they're being a bit silly.

You are not responsible for anyone else but i've no doubt that you've been at the wrong end of the stick for being a cyclist, we all have.
    Some cyclists behaviour pisses off motorists and some pissed off motorists make the road a very dangerous place for cyclists. Cycling Mikey has pissed off a lot of motorists. FACT.

Look, I'm going to leave it at this now. You are putting forward your thoughts and opinions on this as if they were irrefutable, or as if other people cannot have differing thoughts or opinion.

I'm not moving the goal posts by talking about statistically significant. You are talking about an overall reduction in dangerous drivers by this man. You can't offer figures to back this up. There are, out there somewhere, statists for the amount of penalty points given in London, the amount of crashes, accidents etc. An increase of one or two in (presumably) large numbers like that would be considered insignificant, insofar as the overall numbers are not impacted by such a small change.

Regarding whether reading texts in stopped traffic is dangerous. You have to define what we mean by dangerous driving. Is it the same as driving at 100kph in a 30kph zone? Do we acknowledge that there are differing levels of what constitutes dangerous?

You make an assumption that a driver is more likely to read texts while moving than while stopped. Do you have anything to back up that claim? If so you haven't provided it, but use it to claim that he was a dangerous driver.

The fact that he was put off the road because he had accumulated a number of offences speaks directly to the point I made about punishment and amendment of behaviour.

What all of this comes down to is not really whether he is right or wrong, but your assertion that it is beyond debate
    Again, shifting the goalposts with the 'overall reduction' which is not what I claimed. I made a very short, very simple statement, that there are fewer dangerous drivers on the road as a result of his actions. I didn't claim 'overall reduction'. I didn't claim 'statistically significant'. I claimed 'there are fewer dangerous drivers on the road as a result of his actions'. That's a fact, that's beyond debate.

No problem with the logic that he got some drivers points. My problem is with the way you talk to people

I guess you should try using the red triangle to report the posts so, given that you're not the tone police around here.

You are not responsible for anyone else but i've no doubt that you've been at the wrong end of the stick for being a cyclist, we all have.
    Some cyclists behaviour pisses off motorists and some pissed off motorists make the road a very dangerous place for cyclists. Cycling Mikey has pissed off a lot of motorists. FACT.

Pissed off motorists are dangerous for everyone on the road, not just for cyclists. It's time we stopped appeasing pissed off motorists, tugging the forelock.

It's time that we, as Mikey does, start giving a clear message to motorists that if they keep misbehaving on the road, they're going to find themselves rediscovering the joy of cyclists of their disqualification.

How many motorists do you reckon have changed their behaviour for the good after being approached by Mikey, or more likely after seeing his videos online?

Cycling mikey has also now pissed me off and I have never been a motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

It's time we stopped appeasing pissed off motorists, tugging the forelock.

Its unfortunate you see it this way and ultimately this attitude will put a glass ceiling on your road skills.

EDIT: and actually its not about appeasing anyone - its about not pissing people off unnecessarily. Report away but let the police do the policing.

Pissed off motorists are dangerous for everyone on the road, not just for cyclists. It's time we stopped appeasing pissed off motorists, tugging the forelock.

It's time that we, as Mikey does, start giving a clear message to motorists that if they keep misbehaving on the road, they're going to find themselves rediscovering the joy of cyclists of their disqualification.

How many motorists do you reckon have changed their behaviour for the good after being approached by Mikey, or more likely after seeing his videos online?

Mikey is a dick. I don't want to be like Mikey.

As for motorists changing their behaviour? not very many. Road deaths went up in London last year, Mikey is not the hero you're making him out to be.

• Advertisement

As for motorists changing their behaviour? not very many. Road deaths went up in London last year, Mikey is not the hero you're making him out to be.

I don't think anyone is telling you to be like Mikey. The problem is that you're telling Mikey and others that they need to be like you, appeasing dangerous drivers for fear of causing offence to those who casually endanger your safety.

Btw, what would the road death figures in London have been if Mikey hadn't taken a few dangerous drivers off the road, and ensured a large bunch of others got their wrists slapped by the Courts?

Probably cause everyone is watching the bushes for nutters instead of the road

I don't think anyone is telling you to be like Mikey. The problem is that you're telling Mikey and others that they need to be like you, appeasing dangerous drivers for fear of causing offence to those who casually endanger your safety.

Btw, what would the road death figures in London have been if Mikey hadn't taken a few dangerous drivers off the road, and ensured a large bunch of others got their wrists slapped by the Courts?

Lets start slow here - Do you think its a good idea to challenge the motorist after filming them doing something illegal (rudely, aggressively, calmly or otherwise) - particularly when you were not directly involved in the incident?

Probably cause everyone is watching the bushes for nutters instead of the road

You only need to be watching the bushes if you're trying to drive on the wrong side of the road through a junction to skip a queue.

km991148 wrote: »
    Its unfortunate you see it this way and ultimately this attitude will put a glass ceiling on your road skills.

EDIT: and actually its not about appeasing anyone - its about not pissing people off unnecessarily. Report away but let the police do the policing.

Most cycling instructors disagree with you, and highlight the importance of an assertive attitude and assertive road positioning.

There was a study in London some years back showing that female cyclists were more likely to be killed by trucks because they tended to hide at the gutter instead of taking up a visible position.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It’s nearly the weekend.
    It appears to me that Renko could well be off to pray in the church of saint mikey on Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Of course you're aware that that's impossible to tell. Just as its impossible to tell how many cyclists were the victims of road rage that they otherwise wouldn't have been but for the behaviour of Mikey to drivers who didn't get put off the road.

Do you think his behaviour/ modus operandi is beyond reproach?

Most cycling instructors disagree with you, and highlight the importance of an assertive attitude and assertive road positioning.

There was a study in London some years back showing that female cyclists were more likely to be killed by trucks because they tended to hide at the gutter instead of taking up a visible position.

You *know* I am not talking about being assertive. You absolutely know I am talking about aggression *after* an incident as I have made clear multiple times. And it is that very attitude that causes issues.
    Do you still want to continue talking about shifting goalposts?

I am under the impression you see every journey* as a battle and from your comments I am not seeing that impression changing.

*Edit - Every journey and thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Do you have a link to it?

• Advertisement

I don't appease any motorist. I'm well able to hold my own and account for
    myself on the road. If a situation warrants me to speak to a motorist, I will. Saying that, I prefer to go keep going and enjoy my cycle.

Mikey constantly looks for trouble, knocking on windows for even the most minor of offences. That's pretty sad. Righttobikeit cycles on dangerous roads just to prove a point even do there are safer options out there. These guys are antagonists who do nothing for the image of cycling.

As for road deaths, who knows. I know plenty of people who were caught speeding. We'll just say that points and fines didn't stop them speeding, they just speed somewhere else.

Advertisement