Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

• 10-03-2021 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

image.jpg

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
    -Harry Byrne, Muad'Dib

Thread continued from: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057979223

Leinster XII Thread Title Poll 100 votes

Too Good for the Pro 14
    0% 0 votes
    The Frank Murphy Appreciation Society
    17% 17 votes
    The Dave Kearney Appreciation Thread
    7% 7 votes
    The Byrne Supremacy
    12% 12 votes
    The OsBourne Supremacy
    36% 36 votes
    Byrne After Reading
    8% 8 votes
    Can you smell what The 'Rock is cooking?!
    7% 7 votes
    Koh Samui Cup Championes
    4% 4 votes
    Bleeding Blue & White; Left, Right & Centre
    4% 4 votes
    Who's Harry Byrne? Starring John Candy....
    4% 4 votes
    Harry Byrne and the Rainbow Cup
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Dev confirms he wants to play at least 1 more season on Luke's podcast.

Says he is currently in negotiations with Leinster about extending his contract.

Also notably said that Leo has taken a step back from forwards coach and that Robin McBryde has taken over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

bayern wrote: »
    Dev confirms he wants to play at least 1 more season on Luke's podcast.

Says he is currently in negotiations with Leinster about extending his contract.

Also notably said that Leo has taken a step back from forwards coach and that Robin McBryde has taken over there.

Dev as well spoken as ever.

The way he phrased the negotiation question suggests to me that he's in a strong position for an extension of some sort - something I did not think would be tabled so fair play to him.

Good to see him bigging up Jack Dunne too. He's a slow burner compared to Baird or Ryan but hopefully he can start kicking on further soon. Has the attributes to be a great pro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

The last thing ould Dev needs is an extension!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

degsie wrote: »
    The last thing ould Dev needs is an extension!

It would be a great bit of business. He's the only type of Toner that never runs low.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII Too good for the Pro 14

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

At the moment Dev should be resigned. I expect Fardy will be released and Toner is playing decent rugby for Pro14 level. He will be a great player to have during the international windows

sebdavis wrote: »
    At the moment Dev should be resigned. I expect Fardy will be released and Toner is playing decent rugby for Pro14 level. He will be a great player to have during the international windows

Hundred percent.

Presuming Baird and Ryan will be unavailable during international windows and kept on ice with a possibility of Ryan missing most of the start of next season if/when the Lions tour goes ahead.

Having someone like Dev would help greatly with Molony and Dunne in situ.

Hopefully Charlie Ryan can make the step up next season

Hundred percent.

Presuming Baird and Ryan will be unavailable during international windows and kept on ice with a possibility of Ryan missing most of the start of next season if/when the Lions tour goes ahead.

Having someone like Dev would help greatly with Molony and Dunne in situ.

Hopefully Charlie Ryan can make the step up next season

Ryan's struggled to stay healthy in his 2 years in the academy. But he is the most likely to be called upon given Deeny has missed this year with a knee injury and McCarthy is quite raw and young. Wouldn't be surprised to Josh Murphy called upon more at 4.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: I got the poison, I got the remedy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And it's Byrnes, Byrnes, Byrnes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: Shut up Buer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

And it's Byrnes, Byrnes, Byrnes

Of Byrnes, Osbournes and O'Brien's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Really am looking forward to seeing Charlie Ryan. I thought he was great at u20 level. He looks a serious l/o operator.
    Maybe an extension for Dev is wise. I prefer Murphy at 6, he is better there, imo. Murphy will be putting the heat on Ruddock fairly soon.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Really am looking forward to seeing Charlie Ryan. I thought he was great at u20 level. He looks a serious l/o operator.
    Maybe an extension for Dev is wise. I prefer Murphy at 6, he is better there, imo. Murphy will be putting the heat on Ruddock fairly soon.

Ryan's lack of athleticism will be his biggest issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

bayern wrote: »
    Ryan's lack of athleticism will be his biggest issue.

Maybe! But Dev is unathletic and has done well. If Charlie Ryan develops into a Ross Molony or Alan O' Connor type, that'll be fine.
    I did think that Deeny looks a little more athletic. But Ryan ran the l/o brilliantly.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Maybe! But Dev is unathletic and has done well. If Charlie Ryan develops into a Ross Molony or Alan O' Connor type, that'll be fine.
    I did think that Deeny looks a little more athletic. But Ryan ran the l/o brilliantly.

Dev has a few more inches/kg on Ryan.

A little bit more athletic? Deeny is miles more athletic.

Deeny played 7's for ireland underage, I can't imagine what Ryan would look like trying to play 7's.

Deeny is raw though and missing out on most of his irish 20's season and tearing his acl this season won't have helped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scott1974

Venjur wrote: »
    Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII Too good for the Pro 14

Michael Bent for President.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Is a Friday game? They're probably naming the team today if so. I think I would go with something like:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Thomas Clarkson
    4. Jack Dunne
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Scott Penny
    8. Alexis Soroka
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Jamie Osborne
    13. Max O'Reilly
    14. David Kearney
    15. Jimmy O'Brien

16. James Tracy
    17. Marcus Hanan
    18. Greg McGrath
    19. Devin Toner
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Paddy Patterson
    22. Tim Corkery
    23. Cian Kelleher

Don't know if Frawley or Hawkshaw will be available. I think centre partnerships in order of preference would be: 12. Frawley, 13. Osborne; 12. Hawkshaw, 13. Osborne; 12. Osborne, 13. O'Reilly. I think it's better JOB gets the minutes at 15 to get comfortable there because he'll likely be needed in that position.

If the rumours of Patterson getting a contract next season are true I think they should recall him from Munster and get him involved. There's little point in investing minutes in Rowan Osborne if he won't be here long term. Maybe once Leinster and Munster can't meet each other in the league or Heineken Cup they should facilitate an early swap of Osborne and McCarthy.

It'd be good to see O'Loughlin getting in some space on the wing. Seeing Baloucoune in full flight makes me wonder where ROL could have got to if they had backed him in his better (I think) position of left wing rather than poaching Lowe from the Chiefs with a big money offer. He got capped after just one season playing with the senior Leinster side. You wonder would a NZ franchise have backed a freshly-capped AB as first choice to see where he could get to.

I think if he was playing wing you'd be more likely to get runs like that try against Ulster out of him (2:11 mark in below video).

Is a Friday game? They're probably naming the team today if so. I think I would go with something like:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Thomas Clarkson
    4. Jack Dunne
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Scott Penny
    8. Alexis Soroka
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Jamie Osborne
    13. Max O'Reilly
    14. David Kearney
    15. Jimmy O'Brien

16. James Tracy
    17. Marcus Hanan
    18. Greg McGrath
    19. Devin Toner
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Paddy Patterson
    22. Tim Corkery
    23. Cian Kelleher

Don't know if Frawley or Hawkshaw will be available. I think centre partnerships in order of preference would be: 12. Frawley, 13. Osborne; 12. Hawkshaw, 13. Osborne; 12. Osborne, 13. O'Reilly. I think it's better JOB gets the minutes at 15 to get comfortable there because he'll likely be needed in that position.

If the rumours of Patterson getting a contract next season are true I think they should recall him from Munster and get him involved. There's little point in investing minutes in Rowan Osborne if he won't be here long term. Maybe once Leinster and Munster can't meet each other in the league or Heineken Cup they should facilitate an early swap of Osborne and McCarthy.

It'd be good to see O'Loughlin getting in some space on the wing. Seeing Baloucoune in full flight makes me wonder where ROL could have got to if they had backed him in his better (I think) position of left wing rather than poaching Lowe from the Chiefs with a big money offer. He got capped after just one season playing with the senior Leinster side. You wonder would a NZ franchise have backed a freshly-capped AB as first choice to see where he could get to.

I think if he was playing wing you'd be more likely to get runs like that try against Ulster out of him (2:11 mark in below video).

listing a player who is training with Munster this week to bench for Leinster tomorrow is a bold move.

can't really argue on ROL maybe being a better wing than centre.. but he hasn't played there in quite some time so won't suddenly happen tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think ROL has been struck down by the utility stick to an extent. He's a great man for the 23 jersey. It's also notable how his gametime tends to grow when there is an injury crisis and/or the games are coming thick and fast.

• Advertisement

:pac::pac::pac:

That's a good one Rich.

What evidence is there that MOR would play at 13?

He did fine at 15 and Jimmy did fine at 13 against a locked and loaded Ulster backline. I see no reason to switch them.

Also, if you play ROL at 12, you get a try like the one in the Thumbnail....

I'm optimistic Frawley will be named at 12.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: The Frank Murphy Appreciation Society

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: Yeah, even we're tired of us winning all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: David Nucifora's Blue Army

EwMBlh-XMAUsGvM?format=jpg&name=small

Tim Corkery(Kilkenny RFC) sub academy outhalf on bench.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Max O’Reilly (5)
    14. Cian Kelleher (24)
    13. Jimmy O’Brien (31)
    12. Rory O’Loughlin (77)
    11. Dave Kearney (162)
    10. Harry Byrne (20)
    9. Luke McGrath (143) CAPTAIN
    1. Peter Dooley (88)
    2. Dan Sheehan (8)
    3. Thomas Clarkson (8)
    4. Ross Molony (109)
    5. Jack Dunne (13)
    6. Josh Murphy (43)
    7. Scott Penny (23)
    8. Alex Soroka (1)

16. James Tracy (123)
    17. Marcus Hanan (1)
    18. Michael Bent (153)
    19. Devin Toner (259)
    20. Seán O’Brien (0)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (26)
    22. Tim Corkery (0)
    23. Jamie Osborne (4)

Great to see Dunne get a start - only his second. First one coming in April 2019.

Average age in that pack must be the youngest we've ever put out ha.

Dooley - 26
    Sheehan - 22
    Clarkson - 21
    Molony - 26
    Dunne - 22
    Murphy - 26
    Penny - 21
    Soroka - 20

Great to see lads get their chance. I say this will full respect to Zebre. But the minimum standard an academy player can have at any point of their tenure is to be able to line out against Zebre or Dragons. So it's good to see here.

• Advertisement

Great to see Dunne get a start - only his second. First one coming in April 2019.

Average age in that pack must be the youngest we've ever put out ha.

Dooley - 27
    Sheehan - 22
    Clarkson - 21
    Molony - 26
    Dunne - 22
    Murphy - 26
    Penny - 21
    Soroka - 20

Great to see lads get their chance. I say this will full respect to Zebre. But the minimum standard an academy player can have at any point of their tenure is to be able to line out against Zebre or Dragons. So it's good to see here.

Dunne missed out on starts last season due to covid, same with Dan Sheehan IMO.

Shame Charlie Ryan is injured, he'd might have gotten a cap off the bench in this.

Good to see so many young lads get rewarded for lots of training and not much rugby with limited A rugby and no club rugby.

Advertisement