Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Its so funny when you have the likes of Roe/Louise O'Neill/Una Mullally in the media whinging about their "struggles", when they come from well off families, college/life paid from their privileged families

they trot out the " white male " soundbites because they know there are no consequences for this kind of discriminatory language

its incredibly cowardly

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Cole wrote: »
    I don't usually listen to the show and have never even heard of Roe McDermott before, but I listened back to this. I can't make out the logic of the "white male" point in relation to Gamestop. If it's about platforms like Reddit being a haven for "white males", well I'm struggling on that too...I'm not aware of Reddit being exclusive to one group of people.

It just sounded like someone throwing around buzz terms like "white males" in an attempt to sound relevant to certain social justice issues. Even if these particular issues have some merit, at least she should argue them in a logical and coherent way...but that doesn't seem important these days.

Gave up listening several years ago. Used to listen on a daily basis for years. Got tired of the listening to 'woke' bulls*** at every turn.
    Matt Cooper used to be a half-decent broadcaster before he took the woke shilling. The political bias is also extreme.

Having airheads endlessly attempting to justify their cognitive limitations and lack of knowledge and talent by attacking other groups using wokeness as a vehicle was the final nail in the coffin. The fact that they may have an audience for that crap says something is very 'off' in the state of Ireland.

Don't know why you still bother to listen. I have been at no disadvantage by not doing so. There are better sources and better ways to spend your time. Save yourselves the annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

4w9rbe.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

quintana76 wrote: »
    Matt Cooper used to be a half-decent broadcaster before he took the woke shilling.

I agree but maybe he's just spreading himself too thin.

He has the radio show, the TV show, and has written 3 books over the last 3 or 4 years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Commuicorp is being sold to some media group. I wonder will that be the end of the ban on IT journalists? It'd be great to get the likes of Kimmage back on for the sports and get rid of some of the dross contributors, tho I dont think we'll be lucky enough to get rid of the likes of Jennifer Gannon or Roe McDermott, Matts team will want to keep up the woke agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The show needs to do something to save it, its a shadow of its former self.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Maybe HRT for Matt?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Butson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Commuicorp is being sold to some media group. I wonder will that be the end of the ban on IT journalists? It'd be great to get the likes of Kimmage back on for the sports and get rid of some of the dross contributors, tho I dont think we'll be lucky enough to get rid of the likes of Jennifer Gannon or Roe McDermott, Matts team will want to keep up the woke agenda.

Kimmage works for the Indo though, not the Times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

From what I remember seeing on the tweet machine, Kimmage was pulling away from all Communicorp interviews (TLW and OFTB) in solidarity with his journalistic colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what's the competition question again? i keep missing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

fryup wrote: »
    what's the competition question again? i keep missing it

The answer is The Weekend - but it is one of those crowd funding competitions...texts cost €2-3 :rolleyes:

Hobbs Financial!!

You'd be a mug to take financial advice from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its still better than the rte and newstalk offerings at that time slot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

Heard Jennifer Gannon, now identifying as Jenn on Claire Byrne this morning. Is she still on TLW or has she been exiled?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

statto25 wrote: »
    Heard Jennifer Gannon, now identifying as Jenn on Claire Byrne this morning. Is she still on TLW or has she been exiled?

:pac:

No, she is still a TLW contributor.

Had to laugh at the two just on, telling all the moaners on the internet who got outraged about the Mr Potato Head story to catch themselves and take a good look at themselves if they are getting annoyed by that (I agree of course) but the same two will easily get annoyed and moan in the media if you do or say anything they consider wrong, no matter how trivial it is.

So TLW is doing a piece on "loneliness suffered by young people during this lockdown", and instead of getting some young person who is really struggling with loneliness, they wheel out Roe McDermott. Again.

Is she the voice of a generation?

Seems to be an expert of many things. Or is she under contract to be on a certain number of times a week?

She's complaining now cos Micheal Martin didn't mention single people in his speech.

And she wants the rules changed so people can get the ride!

She must think all us married ones have it great during this pandemic.

I am married with kids and its been a miserable year.

Then complains that women are missing out on IVF treatment cos of Covid. What about life saving operations men are missing out on?
    Feck off Roe, pushing your single agenda. Its not like all men are partying their way through the last 12 months.
    Its not a gender issue.

And once again Matt fails to challenge a single thing she says. She gets free reign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

But he was doing it in solidarity with Times journalists. I couldnt see him being invited back tho

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

Two days in row the Royals are leading story at 4.30, honestly who gives a flying fcuk!!

Can't believe the huge interest Irish media have on this story, it certaintly shouldn't be getting a top billing on a drivetime show when more pressing matters are on the agenda.

technocrat wrote: »
    Two days in row the Royals are leading story at 4.30, honestly who gives a flying fcuk!!

Can't believe the huge interest Irish media have on this story, it certaintly shouldn't be getting a top billing on a drivetime show when more pressing matters are on the agenda.

To be fair, the viewing figures would disagree. Its had massive figures in the UK and even Ireland. All of LiveLine was given over to it too.

I'm like yourself, no interest in them, attention seeking multi-millionaires looking for people's sympathy as they mope around in their $12,000,000 mansion and sign a $100,000,000 Netflix deal. But in this social media world, it is big news.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

To be fair, the viewing figures would disagree. Its had massive figures in the UK and even Ireland. All of LiveLine was given over to it too.

I'm like yourself, no interest in them, attention seeking multi-millionaires looking for people's sympathy as they mope around in their $12,000,000 mansion and sign a $100,000,000 Netflix deal. But in this social media world, it is big news.

Yea i get what your saying, but its more of soap opera story then anything serious with foundation.

The couple have player a blinder milking it for as publicity as possible.
    Getting a $6m payday and % of the advertising revenues!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Royals is better than listening to Sam McConkey and Gerry Killeen telling us we're trapped in a permanent pandemic lockdown unless we follow their zero Covid plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

This eve's music slot got very political. Jordan Peterson got a mention and was described as 'a very dangerous man' which went unchallenged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

let me guess, Gannon or Roe went on a rant about the Mumford and sons guy

jay0109 wrote: »
    This eve's music slot got very political. Jordan Peterson got a mention and was described as 'a very dangerous man' which went unchallenged

I have lost all respect for Cooper, I wouldn't expect him to challenge anything said on the show, unless it's Cal Thomas.

Even the fool Joe Duffy challenged a few folk today on the LiveLive, telling them to catch themselves on. Perhaps Cooper could learn a thing or two from him!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I caught a bit of the music segment this evening too. John Caddell makes for very uncomfortable listening and Cooper himself is clearly uncomfortable with having him on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I caught a bit of the music segment this evening too. John Caddell makes for very uncomfortable listening and Cooper himself is clearly uncomfortable with having him on.

Caddell is probably the worst music contributor unless its an 80's re-release.

Advertisement