Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

This evening Larry Donnelly (whos a great contributor to everything I hear him on!) was on instead of Marion with Cal. It was so refreshing. Good balanced debate with Larry able to admit that Trump probably would have got reelected if it wasnt for Covid and that he may have done some good things (I'm not saying I like Trump but it's refreshing hearing a Democrat saying something positive about him! Marion will never say anything positive about Trump and she will never say anything negative about Biden or Hillary. At least Cal can admit that he doesnt like Trump personally!)
    The debate between them was respectful and balanced and was great to hear. Alas, Marion will be back next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

PhoneMain wrote: »
    This evening Larry Donnelly (whos a great contributor to everything I hear him on!) was on instead of Marion with Cal. It was so refreshing. Good balanced debate with Larry able to admit that Trump probably would have got reelected if it wasnt for Covid and that he may have done some good things (I'm not saying I like Trump but it's refreshing hearing a Democrat saying something positive about him! Marion will never say anything positive about Trump and she will never say anything negative about Biden or Hillary. At least Cal can admit that he doesnt like Trump personally!)
    The debate between them was respectful and balanced and was great to hear. Alas, Marion will be back next week.

I think she is back today for a special on the inauguration

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Butson wrote: »
    I heard this segment with Roe yesterday, cringe inducing stuff. You would expect it from her and her ilk.
    Cooper though, how did he not pull her up on that nonsense.

He's as bad as the rest of them, afraid to call her out incase he gets labelled himself. Or, even worse, he agrees with her.
    Either way, that show is gone to the dogs.

TBF Matt is in on it. Roe McD is a bit like Eamonn Dunphy during his peak "Eamonn Dunphy" years. A total self aware parody, they do their thing and people expect nothing more or less. You know the one, Giles and Brady would have given their reasoned bit to Billo and then Dunphy would come in with his sledgehammer to add his 2 cents to the commentary.

During that SATC discussion there was great back and forth between the three other contributors then Roe was rolled out at the end to do her thing. Her rant was basically in the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ShagNastii wrote: »
    TBF Matt is in on it. Roe McD is a bit like Eamonn Dunphy during his peak "Eamonn Dunphy" years. A total self aware parody, they do their thing and people expect nothing more or less. You know the one, Giles and Brady would have given their reasoned bit to Billo and then Dunphy would come in with his sledgehammer to add his 2 cents to the commentary.

During that SATC discussion there was great back and forth between the three other contributors then Roe was rolled out at the end to do her thing. Her rant was basically in the script.

the WOKE clergy dont do self awareness or parody , they are at all times earnest and pious

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the WOKE clergy dont do self awareness or parody , they are at all times earnest and pious

The woke clergy. I love it. It really is a religion.

• Advertisement

Jayesdiem wrote: »

of course it is , it requires no questioning of dogma and a doubtless faith in approved creeds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Jayesdiem wrote: »

The new Catholic church....and sure they'll eventually all turn on each other

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The Dermot and Dave segments on the US are much better than what Cooper serves up.

I feel like Marion McKeown and Cal Thomas have been on since Jesus was a child. It’s grown stale.

Dermot and Dave get one of the news people on who clearly has a big interest in US politics. Dermot’s clearly anti-Trump (much like myself) but at least they had a bit of craic with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Faugheen wrote: »
    The Dermot and Dave segments on the US are much better than what Cooper serves up.

I feel like Marion McKeown and Cal Thomas have been on since Jesus was a child. It’s grown stale.

Dermot and Dave get one of the news people on who clearly has a big interest in US politics. Dermot’s clearly anti-Trump (much like myself) but at least they had a bit of craic with it.

So you are advocating dumbing down political discussion even more on Irish radio.

So you are advocating dumbing down political discussion even more on Irish radio.

It was far from dumbed down.

US politics and branches of government is extremely complex.

You would know this if you ever heard the segments.

• Advertisement

It was far from dumbed down.

US politics and branches of government is extremely complex.

You would know this if you ever heard the segments.

Dermot & Dave do not know more about US Politics than Marion McKeown & Cal Thomas.

I think they are one of the best things on Irish radio but they are not political commentators.

Dermot & Dave do not know more about US Politics than Marion McKeown & Cal Thomas.

I think they are one of the best things on Irish radio but they are not political commentators.

Doesn't mean it was 'dumbed down' as you put it.

Again, listen to the segments before you pass judgement or assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The Dynamic Word

Hi Andrew

Doesn't mean it was 'dumbed down' as you put it.

Again, listen to the segments before you pass judgement or assumptions.

Have you a link for the segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

BPKS wrote: »
    On The Last Word last week Matt had his chum Marion McKeown on to go to town on Melania Trump.

At one stage Marion talked about the women's protest in Washington after Trump got the gig and the way many of the women were carrying placards saying "Free Melania".

Marion says she thought that was a load of BS at the time but didn't express that opinion in public.

I had to laugh at that. Basically she was afraid to say what she thought in case her fellow feminists or Woke lefties on twitter ganged up on her for attacking poor defenseless Melania.

But now 4 years later and after the whole crack in Washington a few weeks ago she felt she could speak her mind and lambast the First Lady.

What a hypocrite. And of course her buddy Cooper was of the same mind.

I get the impression Marian has spent the past 4 years watching CNN and has no life outside of Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Caught the tail end of the tv slot today, when the female contributor told the guy that he basically wasn't allowed to say a certain song was bad because the money from it is going to charity.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Caught the tail end of the tv slot today, when the female contributor told the guy that he basically wasn't allowed to say a certain song was bad because the money from it is going to charity.

This is the same contributor who supposedly is a tv reviewer and never saw the Wire or Breaking bad and only promotes some silly reality show or in her eyes a "politically correct show"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Is that the same contributor who was lusting after the Swedish footballers at the World Cup? Nothing wrong with that at all obviously but God help ya if it was the other way around, she'd slaughter ya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdD3psJwtIk

Where have I been?

I honestly only found out listening to TLW that Sinead Cusack is Richard Boyd Barrett mum!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

They are the absolute spit of each other.

An interesting story.

• Advertisement

ShagNastii wrote: »
    They are the absolute spit of each other.

An interesting story.

Yeah I read up on it after I heard him say it in the interview.

And once again Roe has gone off on an anti-white male rant.

Apparently they are the reason that Reddit has done this thing around GameStop, the reason why conspiracy nuts are wandering round hospitals trying to prove Covid is a hoax.

I am sure there are plenty of non-white males involved in these. But sure why let that get in the way of her hate for white males.

Edit: and yet on this BBC article on the GameStop drama, I am nearly sure I can see a woman/female too!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55843829

Apparently they are the reason that Reddit has done this thing around GameStop, the reason why conspiracy nuts are wandering round hospitals trying to prove Covid is a hoax.

I am sure there are plenty of non-white males involved in these. But sure why let that get in the way of her hate for white males.

Edit: and yet on this BBC article on the GameStop drama, I am nearly sure I can see a woman/female too!

the guy in Cork ( Tadhg Hickey )matched her in the being annoying stakes with his condescension towards so called working class people

Roe used that dopey slogan " white men " about half a dozen times , imagine if she used the term black men ( or muslim men ) in a similar context ?

But she has no issues with any other men in the world, according to her all the ills of the world are due to "white men" only.

The fact she can spout such nonsense totally unchallenged by the host of the show just highlights how much of a SJW Matt Cooper has become.

But she has no issues with any other men in the world, according to her all the ills of the world are due to "white men" only.

The fact she can spout such nonsense totally unchallenged by the host of the show just highlights how much of a SJW Matt Cooper has become.

That was infuriating listening to her make that point. It's not just white men who work in financial services. There's plenty of women of all backgrounds and men of all backgrounds. Ditto for users of Reddit. Why she constantly has to use issues to attack white men is infuriating. You can comment on something and not try to make a class war out of it.

PhoneMain wrote: »
    That was infuriating listening to her make that point. It's not just white men who work in financial services. There's plenty of women of all backgrounds and men of all backgrounds. Ditto for users of Reddit. Why she constantly has to use issues to attack white men is infuriating. You can comment on something and not try to make a class war out of it.

Roe is a big child with a D4 accent who thinks peppering her sentences with WOKE soundbites makes her some sort of intellectual

shes a thumping bore without a single original home grown thought in her annoying little head

her inclusion on panels is a damning indictment of the state of media in this country , her kind look like dopes on Twitter , never mind on mainstream radio

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Roe is a big child with a D4 accent who thinks peppering her sentences with WOKE soundbites makes her some sort of intellectual

shes a thumping bore without a single original home grown thought in her annoying little head

her inclusion on panels is a damning indictment of the state of media in this country , her kind look like dopes on Twitter , never mind on mainstream radio

I had to laugh, she was going on about accent discrimination and she mentioned she'd changed her accent.......big D4 accent on her!!

Well the other eejit on with her wasnt much better. He was playing to the woke crowd as well and kept going with the I'm from Cork spiel as if it hasnt been dont a million times before. Supposed to be a comedian as well.

Actually, the funniest contributor on that segment that I heard in years was Martin Beans Ward. Very down to earth and clued in to whats being going on in the world, very funny and not afraid to take the p1ss out of himself, was very good. It was great to hear someone who wasnt taking themselves or their opinion too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I don't usually listen to the show and have never even heard of Roe McDermott before, but I listened back to this. I can't make out the logic of the "white male" point in relation to Gamestop. If it's about platforms like Reddit being a haven for "white males", well I'm struggling on that too...I'm not aware of Reddit being exclusive to one group of people.

It just sounded like someone throwing around buzz terms like "white males" in an attempt to sound relevant to certain social justice issues. Even if these particular issues have some merit, at least she should argue them in a logical and coherent way...but that doesn't seem important these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I've seen loads of black people on twitter complain about well off white women using "white male" as insult as it's seen as a cynical attempt to cover up for their own position in society.

• Advertisement

irs wrote: »
    I've seen loads of black people on twitter complain about well off white women using "white male" as insult as it's seen as a cynical attempt to cover up for their own position in society.

Its so funny when you have the likes of Roe/Louise O'Neill/Una Mullally in the media whinging about their "struggles", when they come from well off families, college/life paid from their privileged families

Advertisement