Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mandatory quarantine hotels - when and how much notice

• 08-03-2021 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I'm wondering if any of you boardies know more then what's currently out there in the media with regards to the mandatory quarantine hotels for people arriving in Ireland from countries with a high incidence of Covid-19.
    A family member (coming from a high-risk country) is arriving with small kids and wants to avoid mandatory quarantine in a hotel. They will of course quarantine at home.

What's I know so far:
    - Law was signed on Sunday 07/03/2021
    - Contracts with hotels will be signed on Wednesday 10/03/2021
    - People arriving today won't have to quarantine in hotels as there are logistics hurdles to be overcome.

What I don't know:

- Is there an exact date where people arriving in the state will be required to quarantine in a hotel?
    - How much notice will the government give?
    - Is there a government agency that I can get in touch to seek clarification?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Read something online that it's starting from next week.

What I'd like to know, how will it all work? Is it hotel staff doing the work? That seems wrong to me, to be putting hotel workers at risk.

Also, how will they get from the airport to the hotel? Will there be transport set up from the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

What I'd like to know, how will it all work? Is it hotel staff doing the work? That seems wrong to me, to be putting hotel workers at risk.

Also, how will they get from the airport to the hotel? Will there be transport set up from the airport?

Is your family member from one of the red listed countries? Mandatory quarantine seems like a box ticking exercise so the govt can pretend they closed the border without actually closing it.

It only applies to a jumble of African and south American countries, the majority of which dont have direct flights here.

It doesnt apply to US, UK, EU and there is also a further exemption for anyone travelling for essential or "logistical" work eg food production, healthcare work etc .

Would your family member meet the criteria for exemption ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/quarantine-hotels-to-rely-on-private-security-firms-for-rules-enforcement-1.4498443

Rules to be enforced by private security who will presumably call the gardai if you try to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

Can you share that link here? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Is your family member from one of the red listed countries? Mandatory quarantine seems like a box ticking exercise so the govt can pretend they closed the border without actually closing it.

It only applies to a jumble of African and south American countries, the majority of which dont have direct flights here.

It doesnt apply to US, UK, EU and there is also a further exemption for anyone travelling for essential or "logistical" work eg food production, healthcare work etc .

Would your family member meet the criteria for exemption ?

My family members are coming from a red-listed country so once the mandatory quarantine is in place, it will apply to them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

zarker wrote: »

- Is there an exact date where people arriving in the state will be required to quarantine in a hotel?

No official date yet, the contracts with hotels are being signed on wednesday so we should have a date then

- How much notice will the government give?

If this is taken seriously the govt will give a few days notice... If this is taken with the usual level of government speed then your family will have at least a month of a heads-up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

So who pays for this two week hotel stay? I have no doubt the tax payer will be picking up the tab??

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭fran38

arctictree wrote: »
    So who pays for this two week hotel stay? I have no doubt the tax payer will be picking up the tab??

The person who stays in the hotel will foot the bill themselves. The cost will be 2000/2500 euro for the 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭fran38

My family members are coming from a red-listed country so once the mandatory quarantine is in place, it will apply to them.

Why will your family members travel once the quarantine hotel is in place? Its going to cost each individual up to 2500 euro for the 24 days. Can they not travel before? Or travel once this **** is done away with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

There is a sunset clause on the legislation, it will be done away with by 7 June unless they renew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

fran38 wrote: »
    The person who stays in the hotel will foot the bill themselves. The cost will be 2000/2500 euro for the 14 days.

They will but it is likely that the govt will contract too many hotel rooms and there will be a scandal and a commission of investigation and maybe even a tribunal down the line somewhere... They might even use this to deem mandatory hotel quarantine "not fit for purpose" in a few weeks so their buddies in the meat plants can get their cheap Brazilian workers back in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

fran38 wrote: »

Good luck chasing Carlos from Brazil for that!

This legislation is likely in breach of EU law if it impacts freedom of movement within the block.

The government are trying to keep it as hush hush as possible in EU circles.

Time for people to put their complaints to the EU, let's hope for a heavy fine.

Not even Hungary or Poland are implementing these such measures!

Cannot believe it was allowed go this far- it is blatantly against EU Law to imprison an EU citizen for visiting the state

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Cannot believe it was allowed go this far- it is blatantly against EU Law to imprison an EU citizen for visiting the state

I have same question. TBH I dont see this govt doing it properly by any means but obviously they decided to follow UK who are out of EU now. So can be enforced if EU citizen is arriving into Ireland?

I wont mention that assuming 100% of arrivals are infected with covid is unreasonable beyond belief :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

When most of the Dail back it, it's happening. Surprised SF don't see the parallels to 50 years ago!

I have same question. TBH I dont see this govt doing it properly by any means but obviously they decided to follow UK who are out of EU now. So can be enforced if EU citizen is arriving into Ireland?

I wont mention that assuming 100% of arrivals are infected with covid is unreasonable beyond belief :rolleyes:
    Nationality apparently is irrelevant, it's where you're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nationality apparently is irrelevant, it's where you're coming from.

I get that but obviously EU citizen will have more travel rights within EU than non EU national?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

arctictree wrote: »

You ask the question and then the next line is you're in no doubt?
    Why ask the question then?

By the way you're wrong,the person staying in quarantine pays.

• Advertisement

I get that but obviously EU citizen will have more travel rights within EU than non EU national?
    Not really that clear under this regime. You seem to be stuck there for the 2 weeks regardless. I think it was done to get the Dail off their back and it's clear FF wanted it. I imagine they are hoping there'll only be a handful per week because it looks ripe for a Prime Time Investigates slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

They will but it is likely that the govt will contract too many hotel rooms and there will be a scandal and a commission of investigation and maybe even a tribunal down the line somewhere... They might even use this to deem mandatory hotel quarantine "not fit for purpose" in a few weeks so their buddies in the meat plants can get their cheap Brazilian workers back in

I can see it already too.

Undoubtedly FF cronies get the contracts. It will eventually transpire the govt paid their cronies 10k per night per vacant room to make up for contracting too many hotel rooms. Every well known Irish property developer will somehow be involved. The payments will be found to have run until 2030 despite the scheme being scrapped after a week and no actual travellers ever quarantining.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Doc07

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I can see it already too.

Undoubtedly FF cronies get the contracts. It will eventually transpire the govt paid their cronies 10k per night per vacant room to make up for contracting too many hotel rooms. Every well known Irish property developer will somehow be involved. The payments will be found to have run until 2030 despite the scheme being scrapped after a week and no actual travellers ever quarantining.

Isn’t it a bit mad all the same that there is very little exaggeration in all the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Have I read correctly that the “mandatory quarantine” only applies if the traveller does not have a negative PCR test?

That seems to be what the media are saying anyway... haven’t seen the actual legislation..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Have I read correctly that the “mandatory quarantine” only applies if the traveller does not have a negative PCR test?

That seems to be what the media are saying anyway... haven’t seen the actual legislation..

That would make too much sense. Knowing the way Ireland is doing things at the moment it's probably for people with a negative test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2021/23/eng/ver_a/b23a21d.pdf

38B. (1) Subject to regulations made under section 38G(1)(g)(i), this section applies to a person, other than an exempted traveller, (in this Act
    referred to as an ‘applicable traveller’)—

(a) who, on or after the commencement of this section, arrives in the State having been in a designated state at any time within the period of 14 days prior to such arrival, or

(b) not being a person to whom paragraph (a) applies, who, on or after the commencement of this section, arrives in the State—

(i) having been in a state which is not a designated state (in this Act referred to as a ‘non-designated state’) at any time within the
    period of 14 days prior to such arrival, and

(ii) without the result of a RT-PCR test as defined in, and in accordance with the requirements of, any regulations made
    under this Act.

So
    1. From a country on the list or
    2. From a country not from the list AND without a test result.

A Person from (1) is to remain in quarantine at a facility until either
    14 days have passed,
    or a test on their 10th day is negative,
    or 14 days after their last symptom.

A person from (2) is to remain in quarantine at a facility until either
    10 days have passed,
    or they take a test and it is negative,
    or on the expiration of their 10 days if OR a medical official is satisfied they have a residence they can self-isolate at, they take a test

That would make too much sense. Knowing the way Ireland is doing things at the moment it's probably for people with a negative test.

Just as well we don't have you in charge doing things then, spouting on about everything without having a read of the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2021/23/eng/ver_a/b23a21d.pdf

38B. (1) Subject to regulations made under section 38G(1)(g)(i), this section applies to a person, other than an exempted traveller, (in this Act
    referred to as an ‘applicable traveller’)—

(a) who, on or after the commencement of this section, arrives in the State having been in a designated state at any time within the period of 14 days prior to such arrival, or

(b) not being a person to whom paragraph (a) applies, who, on or after the commencement of this section, arrives in the State—

(i) having been in a state which is not a designated state (in this Act referred to as a ‘non-designated state’) at any time within the
    period of 14 days prior to such arrival, and

(ii) without the result of a RT-PCR test as defined in, and in accordance with the requirements of, any regulations made
    under this Act.

So
    1. From a country on the list or
    2. From a country not from the list AND without a test result.

A Person from (1) is to remain in quarantine at a facility until either
    14 days have passed,
    or a test on their 10th day is negative,
    or 14 days after their last symptom.

A person from (2) is to remain in quarantine at a facility until either
    10 days have passed,
    or they take a test and it is negative,
    or on the expiration of their 10 days if OR a medical official is satisfied they have a residence they can self-isolate at, they take a test

Just as well we don't have you in charge doing things then, spouting on about everything without having a read of the act.

Did I claim to have read the act?

Wasn't far off anyway, so a person can land here with a negative test taken within 48 hours of leaving and still be sentenced to quarantine. Ergo, most of the people in the prison hotels will be healthy.

Tell them to duck off and stay where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Dermot224

What happens if someone says they don't have the money to pay for their quarantine hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Dermot224 wrote: »
    What happens if someone says they don't have the money to pay for their quarantine hotel?

What are they here for then?

Advertisement