Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Says it all really:

0oYlsaf.png

Just like last summer, the west is bearing the brunt of the constant cloud. Some broken sunshine at times yesterday (and for the first time since last Monday) but once the late afternoon came in, cloud filled in again, just as it so easily does, as the recent winter has proved, during anticyclonic spells so as to prevent even a frost developing, which would be more the norm under these particular set ups.

New Moon

At the risk of Oneiric's Wrath,its a gorgeous sunny day in Arklow today
    Currently 11c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

was lovely and sunny in Meath up to about an hour ago but cloud is now rolling in from the west and the sun is just about gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

AuntySnow wrote: »
    At the risk of Oneiric's Wrath,its a gorgeous sunny day in Arklow today
    Currently 11c

No wrath from me. We had lovely low grey, featureless skies here today with even some spits of rain now and again just to keep the place nice and damp.

I miss the dry haze though, because as Pangea observed recently, it gave the place a 'different look'. The weather was dull throughout the hazy spell, but it was a nice sort of dull.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

and the mini dry spell has come to an end, spots of rain here now. Hopefully we don't have to wait another 9 months for a week of dry weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The last week or more have been superb for exercise and spring cleaning outside. The water levels have also reduced considerably in the rivers and lakes.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Today is ok in Dublin but looks like from this evening it's going to go back to really windy and horrible for the foreseeable future. I enjoyed our couple of weeks of calm, hope it's not too long until the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Today is ok in Dublin but looks like from this evening it's going to go back to really windy and horrible for the foreseeable future. I enjoyed our couple of weeks of calm, hope it's not too long until the next time.

It's meant to improve from next Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes next week looks OK...apart from in the West where we will be bedivilled with cloud again. It was sunny in Sligo Monday and Saturday last week but cloudy and dull all the other times. Then rained Sunday and Yesterday and today....and probably every day until next Tuesday

next week still looks good and far into FI the start of April is also starting to look like it could be really nice. If we do get several really good spells of high pressure between now and the end of May there is always the worry we could end up with another pigs ear of a summer like last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Gonzo wrote: »
    next week still looks good and far into FI the start of April is also starting to look like it could be really nice. If we do get several really good spells of high pressure between now and the end of May there is always the worry we could end up with another pigs ear of a summer like last year.

I agree, I'd almost be hoping for a rubbish spring if it meant we had nature rebalance and give us a decent summer. In particular the second week in August when we are AirBnB'ing it in Wexford!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dark wet and windy here in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭OldRio

Dark and miserable and wet here in Leitrim. The wind is getting fairly strong as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Says it all really:

0oYlsaf.png

Just like last summer, the west is bearing the brunt of the constant cloud. Some broken sunshine at times yesterday (and for the first time since last Monday) but once the late afternoon came in, cloud filled in again, just as it so easily does, as the recent winter has proved, during anticyclonic spells so as to prevent even a frost developing, which would be more the norm under these particular set ups.
    It was a nice change after the West (apart from Cork) getting the better weather for most of the winter months and the North West getting more breaks last summer from June 2 on while the East was subjected to near constant deluges and cloud when it wasn't raining.

It didn't last, the rain and wind are back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭OldRio

Emme wrote: »
    It was a nice change after the West (apart from Cork) getting the better weather for most of the winter months and the North West getting more breaks last summer from June 2 on while the East was subjected to near constant deluges and cloud when it wasn't raining.

Not sure about that. The weather from mid June has been cloudy and wet here in Leitrim. Wonderful Spring but Summer was a washout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

OldRio wrote: »
    Not sure about that. The weather from mid June has been cloudy and wet here in Leitrim. Wonderful Spring but Summer was a washout.
    It was a washout from June 2 in the east. At least you had until the middle of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

It was a washout from June 2 in the east. At least you had until the middle of June.

You sure about that? Go back and read the summer threads. Lots of people disagreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,432 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Meh, isn't this what we all want right now? :cool:

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/1366886307587325953

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Summer was awful in the NW other than a 10 day spell in early August, we had nice weather for the June bank holiday then it immediately went to sh*t & we barely saw the sun after that.

And speaking of the sun its a good 10 days since I last saw it around here now. Constant grey skies so far this month and a horrible wet and windy day today

You sure about that? Go back and read the summer threads. Lots of people disagreed!

June, July and August was awful here in Meath, summer ended on June 2nd, I've talked many times about how poor last summer was for much of Dublin, Meath, Wicklow and Kildare. One of the worst summers over the past 30 years for lack of sunshine, endless low hanging cloud and unremarkable temperatures. Second week of June to the beginning of August was a washout, then a week of cool and cloudy weather then back to a washout for the rest of August. Summer came back on the final day of August and first week of September was decent then it was back to the deluges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nearly 700mm of rain in west Mayo says otherwise for having a better winter and we had close to 500mm last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Great to see a settling high pressure develop for next week. Hopefully it'll be a sunnier one this time

Great to see a settling high pressure develop for next week. Hopefully it'll be a sunnier one this time

hopefully we get another nice week, but at same time I'd be concerned if we get of high pressure between now and end of May. A good spring is usually followed by a terrible summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Meh, isn't this what we all want right now? :cool:

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/1366886307587325953

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Gonzo wrote: »
    June, July and August was awful here in Meath, summer ended on June 2nd, I've talked many times about how poor last summer was for much of Dublin, Meath, Wicklow and Kildare. One of the worst summers over the past 30 years for lack of sunshine, endless low hanging cloud and unremarkable temperatures. Second week of June to the beginning of August was a washout, then a week of cool and cloudy weather then back to a washout for the rest of August. Summer came back on the final day of August and first week of September was decent then it was back to the deluges.

Gurteen in Tipperary recorded the least amount of summer sunshine. 86 hours less than Casement Dublin. August was driest in Dublin, wettest in Kerry. Overall for the summer, Oak Park Carlow was the driest 217.2mm and Valentia Kerry was the wettest with 561.1mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

FYI meteociel.fr is offline due to fire at OVH Datacenter in case anyone is wondering why.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Torrential rain at the moment! I have not seen rain like it in a good while!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

Torrential rain at the moment! I have not seen rain like it in a good while!

Yea I know. A few times today I have been like, what is that noise and then I realised its the rain pelting off velux windows.

We can't complain. It has been so dry in Dublin for last while we were due a bit of rain to help the flowers grow!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely to see some sunshine ..whereupon the clouds roll in, the wind rises and a deluge!

west mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A real miserable morning, very wintry showers sleet and hail in the mix.

Advertisement