Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Planning Permission

Options
  • 03-03-2021 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Would it be strange for an environmental consultant to describe a house as a 'derelict dwelling', even if that's not the case and a family live there?

The property in question is in close vicinity to a proposed 'Extraction of Material' operation, i.e. a quarry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,078 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, it would be strange, if at the time he used the term the house was in fact in active and open use as a residence. "Derelict" means "abaondoned".

There might of course be other facts or some context relevant to this that you don't know or aren't mentioning. So it's hard to jump from two words from an environmental report quoted in isolation to a conclusion that a planning permission that is presumably linked in some unstated way to that report is "dodgy".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

The Planning Office usually queries and returns a material misdescription

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Yes, it would be strange, if at the time he used the term the house was in fact in active and open use as a residence. "Derelict" means "abaondoned".

There might of course be other facts or some context relevant to this that you don't know or aren't mentioning. So it's hard to jump from two words from an environmental report quoted in isolation to a conclusion that a planning permission that is presumably linked in some unstated way to that report is "dodgy".

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you sir, thanks for the reply! I'm a complete nube when it comes to planning permission so this is all quite new to me.

X company is seeking planning permission to extract x tonnes of gravel/sand/etc. from a hill they purchased back in 2018.

My instinct is telling me that their environmental planner foresaw issues with noise/dust/etc. as the 'derelict' property in question is within 100 meters from the proposed site. The young family in question moved into the property back in 2019, but the planning application was made in 2020. Even if the house did happen to be empty, it's the newest house in the village? I would have presumed that the term 'derelict' would mean that the property had in fact been abandoned/was in ruin.

Surely the Council would have some sort of system in place whereby they'd cross-reference the maps provided by an applicant with their own records? The house is question has an Eircode like?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,078 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"Derelict" means abandoned. It doesn't necessarily mean "in ruins", though an abandoned house will pretty quickly fall into ruin, so you would generally assume that a derelict house was also in ruins, or well on the way to being so.

I don't think the planning authority fact-checks all the submissions it receives. That would involve a lot of work and expense, and would greatly increase the delay and cost involved in getting planning permission.

The system assumes that anyone with an interest in the matter will draw relevant information to the Council's attention. Any member of the public can make a submission, so there's nothing to stop someone pointing out to the Council that the house is not, fact, derelict but is a recent construction, occupied and in use as a family home. Someone like the people living in the house, for example.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    "Derelict" means abandoned. It doesn't necessarily mean "in ruins", though an abandoned house will pretty quickly fall into ruin, so you would generally assume that a derelict house was also in ruins, or well on the way to being so.

I don't think the planning authority fact-checks all the submissions it receives. That would involve a lot of work and expense, and would greatly increase the delay and cost involved in getting planning permission.

The system assumes that anyone with an interest in the matter will draw relevant information to the Council's attention. Any member of the public can make a submission, so there's nothing to stop someone pointing out to the Council that the house is not, fact, derelict but is a recent construction, occupied and in use as a family home. Someone like the people living in the house, for example.

The planning application seems to be in its final stages so the submission period has well passed. Might the foregoing be grounds to appeal the planning permission, if granted? (presuming the other requirements are satisfied)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Don't let the submission date being passed put you off notifying the apparent inaccuracy to the council.
    Maybe just send in a letter about it anyway, asking the planners to check this and consider this in its decision on the application. You could get on to them with a phone call too to inform them or follow up on the letter.

Don't let the submission date being passed put you off notifying the apparent inaccuracy to the council.
    Maybe just send in a letter about it anyway, asking the planners to check this and consider this in its decision on the application. You could get on to them with a phone call too to inform them or follow up on the letter.

I tried calling the County Council last week to find out more, but they said it would not be possible to speak with the planners directly.

Tbh I don't want to rock the boat too much, the field/hill in question was purchased for a large sum of money for the sole purpose of extracting sand/gravel. It's just unfortunate that the land in question is adjacent to my family home!

Hopefully the noise/dust emissions aren't too severe. The proposed term for the permission is 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Rock the boat as much as you want. A quarry 100m from the house will create a huge amount of dust/noise. They probably won't be stopped from doing it, but the permission may be granted with conditions such as air quality monitoring/dust reduction measures, etc.

The environmental report could have been done years earlier. The county council won't cross reference every location, so at the moment no-one other than you knows about the young family right next door.

Send a registered letter (keep a copy for yourself) making them aware of the error in the report, and ask that it be taken into consideration in the decision. 15 years is a long time to regret not sending a letter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

In 15 years time they might apply for a further 15 years.

Do not let it go. A quarry that close to your house will massively harm the value of your house, and your standard of living in it.
    Who would want to live in a house because a quarry where you have loads of dust, noise, and a constant stream of lorries and machinery coming and going all day everyday.

Absolutely get that registered letter to the planning department ASAP. I would even say get onto a planning consultant and have them prepare the letter on your behalf as a matter of urgency, cos they will know the right way to word it and the right terminology to use
    How could anyone believe a fairly below built house was derelict. I wonder was it a mistake on purpose?

Getting a planning consultant to write your letter will cost a few hundred but it is money well spent.. The quarry that close to your house could knock 25% off is value. Easily.

Get on this immediately. There is no time to waste.

• Advertisement

Thank you to all of the above posters for your encouraging words, I really appreciate it!

Upon your advice, I bit the bullet last night and sent a preliminary email to the planning section of the CoCo, bringing the issue re the 'derelict dwelling' to their attention.

I have decided that if the local authority grants the planing permission without any caveats, I will challenge their determination via the 'leave to appeal' route as I would be confident that we would meet the relevant criteria.

15 years is far too long to be listening to lorries coming and going from 7am-6pm every day.

In their initial application, the company also alluded to the possibility that they may conduct 'screening' on the site. Would I be correct in thinking that 'screening' is the smashing of rocks? lol.

The grounds on which I will be challenging the permission, if granted, are:

- Dust emissions (3/5 members of my family have sever asthma)
    - Traffic congestion (our road is too narrow to even fit a double line markings)
    - Excessive noise in what would be otherwise a tranquil area

There was also a well within the site that people in the area used to use, but the company has since buried it in stones/gravel.

I got an email from the CoCo this morning, confirming receipt of my email and that it is 'receiving attention'.

I'll keep you all posted! It might not go anywhere but we'll see what happens :)

Thanks again! You've all been great.

Fair play for sending the email. But in your shoes I would certainly follow up with a planning consultant, and all them to look into the planning issues around this application and have them submit an observation/objection on your behalf. As I said, they will know the right things to say and highlight on the letter so that the council will give it proper attention.

A few hundred euros on this works be money very well spent. I can't stress this enough.

Fair play for sending the email. But in your shoes I would certainly follow up with a planning consultant, and all them to look into the planning issues around this application and have them submit an observation/objection on your behalf. As I said, they will know the right things to say and highlight on the letter so that the council will give it proper attention.

A few hundred euros on this works be money very well spent. I can't stress this enough.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! Will begin looking into this immediately.

brian_t wrote: »
    In 15 years time they might apply for a further 15 years.
    30 years or more of reversing lorries beeping warning sound which can be heard from a kilometre away. Dust being thrown up and travelling kilometers. Potholes appearing large quantities on every road approaching the quarry.
    After that if the quarry is exhausted they won't push the earth back to return it to agricultural use.
    That is my experience of Quarries where I come from.

If you fail to get the Quarry stopped don't think of buying a darker coloured car as they show the dirt from the filthy roads and assume that you'll have scratches on the nearside of the car from having to pulling in to the ditch to avoid the Lorries barreling past you.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭ax530

I would be worried about structural damage if house within 100m quarry when blasting

ax530 wrote: »
    I would be worried about structural damage if house within 100m quarry when blasting

Ok I am officially spooked... I thought I was the one being awkward raising the potential issues with the CoCo. Obviously I was being naive.

If it is just gravel they are after they won't be blasting but that is little consolation when you have a busy quarry near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

I would certainly follow up with a planning consultant, and all them to look into the planning issues around this application and have them submit an observation/objection on your behalf...

If the submission date has passed then surely it's too late to make any objection other then for inaccuracies.

The OP will now have to wait until after Planning Permission has been granted and appeal to An Bord Pleanála.

http://www.pleanala.ie/guide/appeal_guide.htm#C33

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I would be concerned about changes to water runoff, land subsidence/shifting affecting the structure of your home or ground pollutants affecting water supply if you have a well.

brian_t wrote: »
    If the submission date has passed then surely it's too late to make any objection other then for inaccuracies.

The OP will now have to wait until after Planning Permission has been granted and appeal to An Bord Pleanála.

http://www.pleanala.ie/guide/appeal_guide.htm#C33

Yes exactly, there's no point worrying until the permission has actually been granted. We'll have 4 weeks from the day the decision is made to appeal, provided we can satisfy the requirements for said appeal.

• Advertisement

I would be concerned about changes to water runoff, land subsidence/shifting affecting the structure of your home or ground pollutants affecting water supply if you have a well.

That's interesting. The company made a previous application back in 2018 which was subsequently withdrawn and the local authority seemed to be quite concerned re the potential for water pollution.

Might that be why they buried the well back in October before submitting a new application?

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    That's interesting. The company made a previous application back in 2018 which was subsequently withdrawn and the local authority seemed to be quite concerned re the potential for water pollution.

Might that be why they buried the well back in October before submitting a new application?

Certainly worth a look again in relation to water pollution potential. Also if land shifting happens cos of removing of layers from ground could cause ground to move and damage or destroy house.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭to99

I recall reading a case once where the pollution affecting a household's washing out on the line constituted a nuisance.

I'd imagine the washing line will be destroyed from the quarry.

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to raise those issues with the planning consultant!

In all honesty, it's probably unlikely that the CoCo would reject the planning application in its entirety. I'm just hoping that some of the issues associated with the project may be mitigated somehow. What do you think?

You could go the route of bringing legal proceedings with option of the quarry company buying out your property at a price that mutually agreeable due to health concerns and other items discussed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Seeing as you are only 100m away from the quarry I'd be pretty worried about silicosis for yourself and family members.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/quarries/silica.htm

I would be apprehensive to bring legal action as I work in a law firm and would be concerned about the optics, if I were to be named in any articles.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

I'd be far more worried about the health implications than being worried about optics.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Seeing as you are only 100m away from the quarry I'd be pretty worried about silicosis for yourself and family members.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/quarries/silica.htm

I've come across this point while researching dust emissions. Have there been any studies done re how far the silica dust can travel?

Even that article says, "No cases of silicosis have been documented among members of the general public in Great Britain, indicating that environmental exposures to silica dust are not sufficiently high to cause this occupational disease."

I'm not sure to be honest. It's not something I've researched. I've only looked at it among workers and not people who live adjacent to a quarry.

Here's one study of two communities living near a quarry.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3885176/

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm not sure to be honest. It's not something I've researched. I've only looked at it among workers and not people who live adjacent to a quarry.

Here's one study of two communities living near a quarry.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3885176/

Perfect, thanks for the link! Much appreciated.

Upon reflection, I feel like it was quite rude for the company not to approach my family and I before submitting the application, despite naming us several times in their EIA and associated correspondence.

Well, they're going to be in for a shock ;) Full steam ahead..

• Advertisement

Might also be worth contacting any groups who would be interested in the environmental impact of the quarry action. Also walking or hunting groups that may use the land, could cause more legal challenges and headaches for the quarry company.

Advertisement