Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sage Barista Express

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

You need to go tighter on your grind, tamping pressure isn't really a variable as much as anything else so you just want to apply enough pressure to form your puck.

Thanks I'll try that again. Really seems to vary.
    Think I might need to get my engineering hat on and run a proper DOE on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Issac wrote: »
    I'm really struggling to get the correct settings on this machine.
    If I get the correct extraction time (around 30 seconds) then my pressure is very high and my volume out is approx 55g ish.
    I've moved the internal burr (now at 3).
    Anything obvious I can target? I think tampering pressure has a huge effect on output so maybe I need to get that under control? How high a tampering pressure is normal?
    Edit: I make sure the machine is properly heated and run some water through before each brew.

For 2:1 ratio coffee - 36g out from 18g in - you need to go above the recommended range on the dial

The "espresso range" on the BE is more a lungo range in reality - nothing wrong with forcing it up. Ignore the gauge and focus on your input/output.

Also assuming you're keeping internal birr fixed and just adjusting the side grind dial - tamping will be important.

The BE grinder increments are big compared to any top end (even sage standalone) grinders. So learn to have a light, medium and heavy tamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Are you using the factory default shot size?

Ie the amount of water the machine puts through the coffee.

You could try program it for 50ml or so and then fine tune your grind setting to control and adjust the length of time taken to pour.

I aim for 17 g in, 45 ml shot in 25-30 seconds.

I have my Express around 4 years now. Still going strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I changed the internal burr setting down to 3 this morning.
    Noticed a surprising difference in taste.

More tinkering needed.

I changed the internal burr setting down to 3 this morning.
    Noticed a surprising difference in taste.

More tinkering needed.

Let us know what you find out.

• Advertisement

Let us know what you find out.

This morning I tried internal burr on 3, grinder on 4 with Forsa Gala beans. Practically nothing came out in the first 7 seconds so maybe I tamped too much.

Resulted in a fantastic cup of coffee. I'm nearing the sweet spot.

Next I'll try 3/6.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

My SB, the internal burr is at 4 and current grind at 3 - 18g in and getting 58g extraction on a medium roast.

Klopp wrote: »
    My SB, the internal burr is at 4 and current grind at 3 - 18g in and getting 58g extraction on a medium roast.

You using the preset settings?

You using the preset settings?

Funny, i thought this myself this morning and i checked and reset to be sure but it was the same again today, this time it was 18.5g with 60ml at 45 seconds?

Klopp wrote: »
    Funny, i thought this myself this morning and i checked and reset to be sure but it was the same again today, this time it was 18.5g with 60ml at 45 seconds?

Personally where the basket has 18g in it

I use the preset 2 cup button to start the shot - but hit it again to stop it once it has dispensed 36g of coffee ( I actually hit it at 34g or just before to account for the the bit that continues post stop).

The aim is then to adjust the grind settings so this all happens at 25-30 seconds depending on the coffee in question. (some have the best timing provided on their websites).

The preset will always aim to give 60ml (seems to be designed to give a lungo style coffee) no matter the grind as its merely a set volume. All that will change really is the time this takes to happen.

When you do this your gauge will go above the recommend range to the to about where the "E" is at the end of "RANGE"

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Personally where the basket has 18g in it

I use the preset 2 cup button to start the shot - but hit it again to stop it once it has dispensed 36g of coffee ( I actually hit it at 34g or just before to account for the the bit that continues post stop).

The aim is then to adjust the grind settings so this all happens at 25-30 seconds depending on the coffee in question. (some have the best timing provided on their websites).

The preset will always aim to give 60ml (seems to be designed to give a lungo style coffee) no matter the grind as its merely a set volume. All that will change really is the time this takes to happen.

When you do this your gauge will go above the recommend range to the to about where the "E" is at the end of "RANGE"

Hope this helps

I thought about using the 'preset' option before and then i think is this cheating the machine? lol. I have got lovely shots without changing the settings too much but the next day the taste is off along with extraction time extract amount using the same beans, at least using the preset you would get more consistency.

I'll try this option going forward and report back in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have a question. If you drink Americana or milk drinks why would you be so concerned about the 1:2 ratio

fits wrote: »
    I have a question. If you drink Americana or milk drinks why would you be so concerned about the 1:2 ratio

Why wouldn't you be?

Some like a 1:2 ratio, some like a 1:3, all about what your own preference is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I don't know about the 1:2 ratio specifically, but whether you're drinking straight espresso, a milk based drink or a longer black drink, knowledge of your brew ratio is one marker that allows you to adjust your next drink so it is more to your taste.

For me, I'd much rather know exactly what dose each coffee I make is and how much liquid it yielded so that I know how to make the next drink less sour /less bitter / whatever. And when I make a drink just the way I like it, I want to be able to know why it tasted the way I like it, and how to recreate it next time. Dose and yield (so by extention brew ratio) are excellent markers to aid this pursuit.

Yeah, the differences are less pronounced in a milk based drink or a longer black drink, but there's still plenty of variation in the flavour profiles of a drink depending on how it was brewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Have my machine since July 2017 and had my first mechanical issue with it this week. When the pressure built up water, steam and coffee started to spurt out from the group head. Turns out the rubber seal at the gasket is worn down, not surprising with all the use its been getting of late. So a replacement is on the way, but machine out of action for a few days so no home brew coffee until I get the new seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

jaysis have you no back up like an aeropress or v60?

they are so cheap you should get one

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭breeno

I've been going with a dose 18g in and then my output depends on the drink I'm having. If I'm having espresso I go 1:2 and get 36g out but for Americano or Latte I go 1:3 so about 54g out as I think it keeps a stronger taste than the 36g which I find gets a bit lost and watery in longer drinks.

I also got a palm distributor and tamper from Amazon and I can't believe how much more consistent it's making my shots. Delighted with it. The brand is Xunada and it's the 53mm version.

jaysis have you no back up like an aeropress or v60?

they are so cheap you should get one

The aeropress is in the office, since last March. Could be an essential journey.

breeno wrote: »
    I've been going with a dose 18g in and then my output depends on the drink I'm having. If I'm having espresso I go 1:2 and get 36g out but for Americano or Latte I go 1:3 so about 54g out as I think it keeps a stronger taste than the 36g which I find gets a bit lost and watery in longer drinks.

I also got a palm distributor and tamper from Amazon and I can't believe how much more consistent it's making my shots. Delighted with it. The brand is Xunada and it's the 53mm version.

I just use less milk in the milk based than most prob do.

I understood the pressure of shot changes the entire flavour profile and that over drawing can mean you get a poor flavour.

I can't say I'd notice in anything but espresso.

I use the Chemex for anything not espresso based.

Have my machine since July 2017 and had my first mechanical issue with it this week. When the pressure built up water, steam and coffee started to spurt out from the group head. Turns out the rubber seal at the gasket is worn down, not surprising with all the use its been getting of late. So a replacement is on the way, but machine out of action for a few days so no home brew coffee until I get the new seal.

Fixed. Used 1 of these, in case anyone ever has a similar issue - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08P1CK4C6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Z273DT77FZ8NAV160W8T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement

I think my machine is broken. Tried making a cup this morning but barely a trickle of coffee came out of the portafilter. Almost as if there wasn't enough pressure or there was a blockage.

I wasnt caffeinated enough to investigate further.

6 months old so still under warranty.

I think my machine is broken. Tried making a cup this morning but barely a trickle of coffee came out of the portafilter. Almost as if there wasn't enough pressure or there was a blockage.

I wasnt caffeinated enough to investigate further.

6 months old so still under warranty.

Is there water without the portafilter in position?

Obvious question I know

Is there water without the portafilter in position?

Obvious question I know

Yes there is. Seems like a normal flow rate too. It's almost like the portafilter is blocked.

Yes there is. Seems like a normal flow rate too. It's almost like the portafilter is blocked.

Sounds like your coffee is too fine or tamp way too strong.
    Doubtful it's the pump or blocked basket. Change to a different basket to confirm then change your grind coarser. 3 to 4 numbers up from where the dial is set now would be a good place to test

Hopefully gets it sorted for you

Before i was constantly getting 58g extraction out of 18g between 35/45 seconds and had to increase my dose too to no effect with the yield. I set up the program option and adjusted my grind to taste, i am now getting more consistency with shots and find they're a lot tastier nicer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭Goose81

Is this still the best machine for around the price €600? Any others that are worth looking at..

Don't mind going a small bit over but wanted opinions, so hard to choose

Goose81 wrote: »
    Is this still the best machine for around the price €600? Any others that are worth looking at..

Don't mind going a small bit over but wanted opinions, so hard to choose

It's a good machine, new gaggia meant to be good but will have to buy a separate grinder so increasing the overall price.

Haven't seen too many others under 1k that challenge them

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Barista express is currently out for delivery... down the rabbit hole I go! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭Goose81

So I got the machine yesterday, not having much luck so far.

Watched literally hours of videos on how to use it with non pressure baskets.

I'm measuring out 17 grams of beans on a scale and grinding them in the machine so it's exactly that weight.

With the grinder set to its lowest setting of 1 I'm getting pretty much no pressure at all.

I took out the grinder and set it to 4, it was at 6. Reground 18gramd of beans and left the grinder at 1 and now I'm getting towards the pressure I want .

Am I doing something wrong, how is the grinder so badly calibrated from the factory that I'm having to adjust it straight out of the box, seem like leaving it at a setting of 6 would never work with any beans..

I'm wondering if it's faulty, like to get the full scale in the side of the machine to actually work I'm going to have to set the inside of the grinder to 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Any recommendations on where to buy filters?

Advertisement