Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sage Barista Express

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Klopp wrote: »
    The last few weeks I stopped adjusting the grind setting and trying to get the needle in the recommended Espresso range. This week I have used 18g and I am getting 42g in 31 seconds and the pressure is not in the recommend Espresso range, the needle is way over at 1. Is anyone else ignoring the recommended range now or is it just me?

Yeah I don't know how well calibrated the espresso meter is across the board, but on my machine if I used the espresso meter I'd get a very underextracted shot, the coffee absolutely gushes out!

You're better off using variables you can measure and control to adjust your shot and change flavour profile (dose, yield, grind size) than following the meter blindly. Then again, the flavour is the most important reference point, so if people think it tastes better when in the espresso range on the meter, that's the job for them. Definitely not my experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Took the plunge and bought one this morning, going to take some time to get the settings right but it's a challenge I'm willing to accept..

I've ordered a few bags of coffee off discount coffee.ie just for the first few weeks to get use to it.

You may see me pop in and ask questions every now and again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

Where did you buy out of interest? Wondering if anywhere has it on special.

breeno wrote: »
    Where did you buy out of interest? Wondering if anywhere has it on special.

569 for the black one in harvey norman, price wasn't too bad but got a few quid back from revenue this week so happy days....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Brainz wrote: »
    569 for the black one in harvey norman, price wasn't too bad but got a few quid back from revenue this week so happy days....

Just beware preset shots are more lungo than espresso.

Nothing wrong with lungo, it's just not espresso haha.

• Advertisement

Just beware preset shots are more lungo than espresso.

Nothing wrong with lungo, it's just not espresso haha.

Have been tinkering around with it all day, don't think I'll be sleeping this evening....

Brainz wrote: »
    Have been tinkering around with it all day, don't think I'll be sleeping this evening....

You'll be tinkering for ages to come haha.

Frustration can be high be keep plugging. Eventually you'll get it working for you!

I threw up a video few posts back to help another chap. Might be some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Am i the only one to weigh beans first and only put that amount in the grinder?
    Then grind until everything comes out ?

Can the grind buttons be trusted and dispense consistent amounts each time?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Klopp

carq wrote: »

No, I do this and I think you will also find the majority here do this too.

Klopp wrote: »
    No, I do this and I think you will also find the majority here do this too.

is there something i can get to aid getting the ground coffee into the portafilter without spilling.

Current process is

Weigh beans in empty espresso cup
    Put into machine and grind into came cup
    I have a cardboard circle that I put on top of the portafilter and dump the contents of cup into the filter
    Tamp

Any toll i see to avoid spilling seems to be incompatible with grinding direct into the portafilter

• Advertisement

In my case i found this less than effective but that was just me.

Everyone online says to do it haha - i find overdose, tamp and trim faster and gives me consistency - basket is always only 0.2g variance really. Which given the variance on dispense with the after stop drops means its a waste of my time entirely. Loose about 2 or 3 coffees a kilo so not fussed on waste.

Try weigh in and weigh post grind - just pop out the filter basket to weigh and see if you get consistent weights I suppose. Then see if range on gauge is consistent.

is there something i can get to aid getting the ground coffee into the portafilter without spilling.

Current process is

I have a cardboard circle that I put on top of the portafilter and dump the contents of cup into the filter
    Tamp

Any toll i see to avoid spilling seems to be incompatible with grinding direct into the portafilter

Give it a gentle shake and it will spread out grounds easier - i had the same issue thus my previous replies.

BE is far from a pro machine, and i am far from a pro barrista - i like my coffee ready faster haha.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Current process is

Tamp

I have an older version of this:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Breville-Sage-Barista-Express-Pro-Touch-Dosing-Funnel-w-Grinder-Trigger-Button/264825622529?hash=item3da8d65001:g:jBkAAOSwsQJfYVQ8

The one I have just sits on top and doesn't lock like this one does. But it makes life a lot easier, and you can easily stir/mix the grounds which makes a big difference to how well the shot comes through.

Maybe a bit pricey for what it is, but it's worth it.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Breville-Sage-Barista-Express-Pro-Touch-Dosing-Funnel-w-Grinder-Trigger-Button/264825622529?hash=item3da8d65001:g:jBkAAOSwsQJfYVQ8

The one I have just sits on top and doesn't lock like this one does. But it makes life a lot easier, and you can easily stir/mix the grounds which makes a big difference to how well the shot comes through.

Can you still fit the portafilter in the holder with that on ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Can you still fit the portafilter in the holder with that on ?

Yes, the idea is that you screw this on and just pop it into the grinder. It will push the grinder button as normal and you just wait for the grinds to fall in.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I tend to grind 3/4 of 18g. Pat it down slightly. Then grind the remaining quarter. That way none of the coffee spills out when tamping.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats a great find Alan, cheers.

Something very very 3D printable if one was so inclined...

Edit:
    This product is 3D printed, as a result you will be able to feel the layer lines made by the 3D printing process, other than that it won't make a difference and will work great!
    It actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

You can get these funnels on aliexpress

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mad m wrote: »
    You can get these funnels on aliexpress

Generics or ones that clamp on and press the grind button?

• Advertisement

Picked up this machine over the weekend and enjoying it so far. Think I have my grind right but my tamp needs to get more consistent. Seeing variations in extraction time as a result.

Anybody have a good ratio for an Americano or Long Black? Tried an 18g in / 38g out Espresso with 100ml of water and it's a bit weak. Are there better recipes?

My latte art is laughable but hopefully will improve with time!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

I've got some questions i hope people can answer.

I've been manually measuring 18g of beans - popping into the grinder and using that. I'm getting 32g of coffee after 10 seconds of extraction!! Its nicer than the 60g i get if I wait for 30 seconds (post infusion) Grind setting 2. Surely thats not right? If I leave it for 30 seconds I end up 60g+ of coffee.

Anyone any ideas or what you do for the 2:1 ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

We got ours recently and spent a bit if time last night dialling in. We kept getting underextracted shots pulling real quick. We were down at grind setting 1 and we decided to adjust the internal burr setting. Looked up a few videos online, fairly straight forward process.
    Could be the coffee we were using, it's medium to light roast which I believe might need a finer grind setting.
    Fairly happy with it now.

One thing I would say is ruling out inconsistencies in your variables makes the whole process a lot easier. We got a digital scales/timer and a palm tamper/distributer to make sure we were being consistent in weight and tamp.

S_D wrote: »
    I've got some questions i hope people can answer.

I've been manually measuring 18g of beans - popping into the grinder and using that. I'm getting 32g of coffee after 10 seconds of extraction!! Its nicer than the 60g i get if I wait for 30 seconds (post infusion) Grind setting 2. Surely thats not right? If I leave it for 30 seconds I end up 60g+ of coffee.

Anyone any ideas or what you do for the 2:1 ratio

Open up the hopper and you'll find the internal birr is adjustable.

Adjust that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Haven't touched anything now I suddenly have to move the grind dial from around 1pm position to max and it's not really giving me anything extra.

The machine is messing with me at this stage!

I’ve sort of stopped messing with mine. Bell lane espresso house blend I was set at 5 for grind and 6 on burr. As the weeks went by I had to adjust to grind 6 near end of bag.

The bag of B&D black water blend is perfect for burr 6 and grind 6. 19g in 40g out or just over on manual double shot at 28seconds.

Sage pro btw.

MrsBean wrote: »
    We got ours recently and spent a bit if time last night dialling in. We kept getting underextracted shots pulling real quick. We were down at grind setting 1 and we decided to adjust the internal burr setting. Looked up a few videos online, fairly straight forward process.
    Could be the coffee we were using, it's medium to light roast which I believe might need a finer grind setting.
    Fairly happy with it now.

One thing I would say is ruling out inconsistencies in your variables makes the whole process a lot easier. We got a digital scales/timer and a palm tamper/distributer to make sure we were being consistent in weight and tamp.

How did you set the distances/sizes for the tamper and distributor tool? I have one arriving tomorrow and want to make sure I get the best out of it!

breeno wrote: »
    How did you set the distances/sizes for the tamper and distributor tool? I have one arriving tomorrow and want to make sure I get the best out of it!

Comes with a precision trimmer to assist.

Booklet gives good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

I'm really struggling to get the correct settings on this machine.
    If I get the correct extraction time (around 30 seconds) then my pressure is very high and my volume out is approx 55g ish.
    I've moved the internal burr (now at 3).
    Anything obvious I can target? I think tampering pressure has a huge effect on output so maybe I need to get that under control? How high a tampering pressure is normal?
    Edit: I make sure the machine is properly heated and run some water through before each brew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Issac wrote: »
    I'm really struggling to get the correct settings on this machine.
    If I get the correct extraction time (around 30 seconds) then my pressure is very high and my volume out is approx 55g ish.
    I've moved the internal burr (now at 3).
    Anything obvious I can target? I think tampering pressure has a huge effect on output so maybe I need to get that under control? How high a tampering pressure is normal?
    Edit: I make sure the machine is properly heated and run some water through before each brew.

You need to go tighter on your grind, tamping pressure isn't really a variable as much as anything else so you just want to apply enough pressure to form your puck.

Advertisement