Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Pottery Throw Down - BBC 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Great episode they are all so talented.
    Gutted for Sal she was so consistently good, seemed a bit harsh to send her home this week.
    Alon probably due to go had a few disasters.
    Delighted for Peter he seemed so delighted, Adam unlucky to not get potter of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Cant understand why Sal turned her pot into a vase...she knew what she was doing was wrong....cant help buy think it was deliberate for some reason...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

she does have the most welshest accent ever

anyone remember when they made toilets in a previous series- that was class

Looks like toilets next week! Bathroom ware I think they said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Looks like toilets next week! Bathroom ware I think they said

Looked like sinks from the clips shown.

But large-scale, functioning (or not!) watery pieces make for great entertainment, so I'm looking forward to Sunday already!

Adam and Jodie are the only contenders now for the title imo. But you never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well that was a fun week!

Delighted for Adam as he was always up there but just pipped to the post each week.

I did like his design of the sink but the glaze reminded me of algae or other less pleasant dirt , not really what you want in a bathroom.

Wish jodie had added abit more colour to hers, she could have done each dragonfly a different colour or something, it was abit wishy-washy.

Peter's was fun, would never think of that as a concept but it really worked.

I thought hannah's was a disaster, even if it hadn't fallen apart I didn't think it was a great design.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with Jodie's - I loved the concept and the sound of it, but the finished product was a bit of a let down.

Hope that's the kick up the arse she needs to rock it in the final!

I thought Adam's was great, but as two separate pieces! The sink and the pedestal just didn't look like they belonged together at all. And that sink would be an absolute nightmare to try and keep clean :D

The suitcases - meh, close up the detail was fantastic, and they were clearly very well built. But as an overall piece it just didn't wow me.

Hannah's skill for decoration is a lot better than her building skill, esp on that scale! Jodie had a lucky escape this week!

It'll be a very close final, methinks!

Final! Predictions folks? Adam or Jodie I think. Hannah should have gone before last week imo and i think Peter hung on a few times too.

Adam picked the wrong night to push boundaries á la Alon, I fear :eek:

I'm rooting for Jodie, just for her accent and she's lovely! All the wrong reasons, I know - but she's a great potter as well...

• Advertisement

As long as Jodie doesn't have a kiln disaster (which they all could have, in fairness!) I fancy her designs way above the others - they look gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I too am rooting for Jodie . I think she has all along been the most consistent
    I love her designs and colours

Mother of God, what a nightmare of a task :eek:

I would much prefer an ordinary size tea set . This is too hard to see really

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Mother of God, what a nightmare of a task :eek:

Far too delicate for me! Hubbie just said he would have the cups squashed before he even got it cut!

Peter saying he'd never thrown off the hump before.... did they not have a challenge earlier in the series involving that?? :confused:

• Advertisement

Fair dues to Peter, managing to make his pieces too small!!! :D

"Blah, blah, BLAH"

:D

I have to say, I've loved Siobhán this series!

Love Siobhán too , a breath of freshair

I wasn’t keen on the tiny little tea set , a bit boring actually

Keith really has the gra for Peter!

Adams colours were a bit wishy washy

• Advertisement

I got Dancing on Ice wrong - but I really hope that my gut feeling that Jodie has this is right this time!

Could Adam not just have turned his decanters upside down?

Yay !!! Thrilled for her

Awww, I'm absolutely delighted that Jodie won!

But the family members being there, but having to hang back and no hugs, has me destroyed :(

As did the pic of Jodie back in her PPE armour - feck this Covid ****e anyway :mad:

The Throwdown was a bit of a distraction from it for a while at least.

Best potter won..delighted for her,totally deserved it....but for last week she was the most consistent..
    Surprised at Adam, he should have learned that if you don't stick to the brief ,you go....his set was lovely but more 2020 than 1920.....
    Peter was brilliant for us oldies, every time Keith cried I did too.....:o

Sorry...still don't rate Shoveon.....:p

Cracking final in a brilliant series.
    Adam was so close, but he really made a mess of those decanters they looked amazing but totally impractical. If would however kill for that amazing punchbowl set!
    Jodie was a very worthy winner she was so consistently strong her party set was wow, the curved decanter especially.
    Peter did so well really grew in the competition.
    Still a tad gutted Sal didn't go further in the competition.

As usual Keith is the highlight for me!
    Can't beat a Keith cry!

I liked Siobhan as host would have zero issue if she comes back next year, much more personality than Mel Sykes who in fairness was ok as well.
    They should also 100 percent keep Rich as a judge.

It just shows you can have two nice kind judges who give constructive criticism in a show like this.

Roll on the next series.

I will be enjoying the sewing bee in between :)

gmisk wrote: »

It just shows you can have two nice kind judges who give constructive criticism in a show like this.

Roll on the next series.

I will be enjoying the sewing bee in between :)

Just saying that last night, how positive and encouraging they are. Roll on the sewing bee!

Not a huge fan of Katherine Ryan but she has a new series coming, all that glitters. Same premise but with jewellers - apprentices and professionals. Might be worth a look. I like a reality show where a skill is needed!

They always seem to be really nice people these crafters..it must be very relaxing or something.....The Repair shop is another favourite...not mad on Jay but he does sfa anyways...

Yay, starting again Sunday 7.45pm!

They tweeted it is on tomorrow cannot wait!

Another new host this time Ellie Taylor.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I put my glasses on and found it in the listings!

I like Ellie Taylor, hope she's a good fit. Very put out that Joe Lycett has left the sewing bee though ☹

They have it scheduled the same time as call the midwife! Will have to put it on +1.

I have only seen her on one or two things she was fun in Ted Lasso.

Sara Pascoe was poor in the Christmas episodes definitely missed Joe :(

Ohh Sophies Choice ? Will have to set the recorder

They seem like a very nice bunch this time round.

(I'm not a Call The Midwife fan, so probably watching on my own!)

I am watching . I have Midwife recorded to watch in bed !

I miss Siobhán she was great craic

Me too!

I thought she'd ditched it after one series, was very upset that both her and Joe had deserted us, but it sounds like she'll be back at some stage during the series.

Those milk bottles looked HARD!

Lots of fiddly bits to go badly wrong in this first firing......

Wow, some serious talent here, some of those were amazing!

Camerawork is shite though, a lot of low, flat shots from a distance - not enough showing of the detail of the pieces. It's like on Strictly when they hardly show the dancers' feet - that's the whole point of the thing!!

Some lovely sets I must say but too many people to get involved yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Surprisingly strong first week; I think the childrens theme lets you go a bit rougher (and get away with it) than other things might though.

Now, I'll probably forget to watch the entire rest of the series :pac:

Strong first week!

Do they usually have as many pieces to do in week 1?

As always I feel sorry for first one to leave!

Wasn't impressed by Zahras at all....how many times has the mad hatters tea party been done? I thought she should have gone for lack of imagination alone.

Didn't really like the motorbike design either though it was well made.

Loved Christine's fairies, Anna's fox and AJ's dinosaurs. Personally I would have put Christine ahead of Lucinda but I suppose Lucinda had alot of colour.

No one standing out ahead of the pack yet, though can see a few weaker ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Navy blue

Agree 100% with this! I thought Christine's fairies were elegant and stunning, I'd say the fact that there was a lack of colour is what went against her when it was aimed at children. Zahra just looked like she had no interest in being there at the end. She would want to up her game if she wants to avoid being next to go. Thought it was a really strong week overall, so happy to have it back!

I really want that chicken clock ...it reminded me of some cartoon...maybe chicken run? But it was so much fun.

The tent was very well done, but icelandics are green 🤣

The rock around the clock was fab too, not overly original but it was personal to her and the guitar was great.

Abit of a tiff between Miles and Richie I thought when doing the rounds...keiths face was priceless.

Glad Zahra has gone,she seemed so disinterested in the whole thing.

I think the guy that did the motorbike last week and cabinet this week and Miles are the next two weakest.

Another very good week.

Ah that chicken clock was fantastic!! And the dancing/rock around the clock one. The details on it!!

But the standout for me was the treasure chest (minus the frankly a bit bizarre dragon!) - the texture and detail she managed to create on that was amazing!! How the dragon (which looked more like a demented parrot to me) stuck on there was a feat of gravity-defying physics!

I loved the tent, it was just so simple, but brilliantly done. Just shows, you don't always have to go for the wow factor.

Another great week!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Navy blue

I think Tom might feel himself a little bit robbed this week! His Chicken clock was fantastic, I loved the egg pendulum, it was just so vibrant and fun. I could really see that for sale in a shop. That said, Cellan's tent was excellent too, he really managed to get the texture and movement of the fabric in it, but I felt it was just a little too plain to be the standout item of the week. I thought the cabinet was the poorest one of all, it didn't look like a cabinet and there was no recognisable detail in it. Miles's temple turned out very poorly too, it promised a lot but just ended up looking like a big blue jelly. I liked the detail in the paint box one, she made the half squeezed tube of paint look so unbelievably realistic! Zahra's could have been so pretty, but she suffered a lot of technical problems with it and it failed it's primary purpose, which was to hang on a wall. So it was a foregone conclusion. Not sorry to see her go, she looked like she didn't want to be there.

Another really strong week, some really good makes for this early in the competition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Thank the heavens for Ellie Taylor, a breath of fresh air.

Don't miss Siobhan at all, it was always about her not the potters.

Hopefully CH4 will see the error of their ways and ask Ellie to stay on for the next series

Can't agree with you there, I loved Siobhán.

Ellie is grand, but her voice is a bit high-pitched for my taste. Loved Siobhán's wry dry sense of humour.

Ah FFS!

Pottery Throwdown, and Dancing on Ice, AND Dancing With the Stars (which I could live without, in fairness), AND the snooker - all on at the same time.

And I can only record and/or watch two at the same time on my stupid Sky box 🙄

Have to watch the snooker live, in fairness.

There's going to be a lot of playing catch-up going on here!

Rte/tv3/ch4 all have +1 option might help to divide the load?

Well Nick was a dark horse. Absolutely loved the boat.

It felt more a week 1 offering tonight, the boat for me was the strongest followed by Cellans coal wagon, the rest were pretty forgettable.

Miles had a very lucky escape. I think the girl who did the steel piece is also fairly weak, she's been cruising in the middle since the start....her or Miles next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement