Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great Pottery Throw Down - BBC 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Glad Alon won this week...but i thought his bust looked more Nils Lofgren than Brucy.....
    Cant believe Sal didnt think of lying her bugle/trumpet down on its side, or use cocktail sticks ..they wernt being fired anyway...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Siobhan McSweeney ruins this for me. She's terrible.
    Reminds me a bit of Susan Calman, thinks she's way funnier than she really is.
    Great mix of contestants this series, hoping Sal FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Siobhan McSweeney ruins this for me. She's terrible.
    Reminds me a bit of Susan Calman, thinks she's way funnier than she really is.
    Great mix of contestants this series, hoping Sal FTW

She reminds me of a female version of joe lycett, who is equally as annoying.

I don't know how the contestants haven't told her to f off out of the way when they are carrying stuff into the drying room.

There appears to be a trend in all the craft shows (sewing bee, gbbo, portrait/landscape artist etc) to have an annoying "comedy" presenter . For the most part it feels scripted and falls rather flat.

I personally would rather a quieter interested presenter that allows the skill of the contestants to shine. That asks interesting questions that we might actually "learn" something about the skill/ technique etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah, I really like Siobhán presenting, now that she's settling into it a bit.

She's low-key, and funny. She'll never better Sara Cox, though.

I like Joe Lycett even more on Sewing Bee!

Different strokes for different folks, and all that jazz :)

Was quite disappointed with last night's show - no decorating at all, I thought they'd at least have to do their busts. It was all very rushed at the end, there was a lot more bits of faces reattached than we saw!

Was surprised that Sal threw the towel in so easily on the instrument challenge - like someone else said, why not model it on its side - it just so happened that it stands up on the flared bit in reality. The pressure of being put on the spot, I suppose.

Hoping for a better episode next week (and waiting to see what wackiness Alon comes up with!)

On a side note ..Sara was on the " Back in time for..." series which is very enjoyable...She's great on anything she's on...:)

I agree about that Shiobhan one..." get out of the fcuking way..i dont have time to get around you...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Terracotta is obviously very difficult to work with!

Well, indeed!! Was there one useable piece in the whole lot of them??

I think Henry might have reached his limit at this stage, but delighed to see Shenyue get the boot - there was a lazy arrogance about her that just got my back up. And she was the least artistic of them by a country mile, the decoration on her cooking pieces was just shocking!

Enjoyed this weeks.

Shame so many casualties as some of the pieces were lovely.

Sal's was excellent.

I'm surprised Shenyue was voted off, though I thought she was leaving her pieces to the side in the hopes someone else would bring them to the drying room , which was annoying but I could be wrong. I thought her decoration was once again very weak.

However I did think Henry had a worse week, so he's had a very lucky escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I thought Henry should have gone tonight . The terracotta was all a bit of a disaster and not a whole piece between them
    I love Siobhán in this and like her way with them all .

Henry was a lucky man. Design got him through.
    Delighted for Sal, she must be favourite for the win.
    Has anyone ever heard a better Welsh accent than Jodie's :)

• Advertisement

Henry was a lucky man. Design got him through.
    Delighted for Sal, she must be favourite for the win.
    Has anyone ever heard a better Welsh accent than Jodie's :)

Alex Jones....could listen to them read the phonebook all day...:p

I thought he same about Shenyue ...she was a bit of a diva this week...some shock for her...thought i saw a wry smile from Keith...

Switch over from RTE, people running up mountains and over huge walls to something more my pace now :)

Enjoyed that episode.

Some absolutely amazing builds.

I think sal and jodie definitely for final and either Alon or is it adam? The one that does great sculpture work.

Jodie has made my two favourite pieces so far - the wolf and (if I'm remembering rightly) the Moroccan lighthouse.

And I'd listen to her reciting the phone book.

Hannah was very lucky to survive this evening.

Had Sall down as my fave but hoping Jodie wins now.
    Pity Henry he's a good lad left but it was the right decision,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Jodie has made my two favourite pieces so far - the wolf and (if I'm remembering rightly) the Moroccan lighthouse.

And I'd listen to her reciting the phone book.

Hannah was very lucky to survive this evening.

she does have the most welshest accent ever

anyone remember when they made toilets in a previous series- that was class

That was one of my favourite episodes ever!

Oh my God!!!!

I cannot believe that!

Absolutely delighted for Peter his was gorgeous.

I think Alon deserved to go as he never follows the brief, but Sal??? Gutted for her.

I don't think Hannah deserves to be there over Sal.

Any one else think Adam's spout looked abit rude :D ...his pots were lovely....think it will be between him and Jodie now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Alon just had to be different and he blew it . I thought he deserved to go . Sal didn’t stick to the brief either so it was inevitable
    I loved Jodies decoration this week

Just shows you can only push the boundaries - and the judges - so far!

I was wondering when Alon would tip over the edge, was not expecting it of Sal though. But both in build and decoration, she completely ignored the brief, so I suppose it was inevitable really.

Peter's big pot was just fantastic - the shape, decoration and finish were incredible. Well deserved win for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Great episode they are all so talented.
    Gutted for Sal she was so consistently good, seemed a bit harsh to send her home this week.
    Alon probably due to go had a few disasters.
    Delighted for Peter he seemed so delighted, Adam unlucky to not get potter of the week

Cant understand why Sal turned her pot into a vase...she knew what she was doing was wrong....cant help buy think it was deliberate for some reason...:confused:

Looks like toilets next week! Bathroom ware I think they said

Looks like toilets next week! Bathroom ware I think they said

Looked like sinks from the clips shown.

But large-scale, functioning (or not!) watery pieces make for great entertainment, so I'm looking forward to Sunday already!

Adam and Jodie are the only contenders now for the title imo. But you never know!

Well that was a fun week!

Delighted for Adam as he was always up there but just pipped to the post each week.

I did like his design of the sink but the glaze reminded me of algae or other less pleasant dirt , not really what you want in a bathroom.

Wish jodie had added abit more colour to hers, she could have done each dragonfly a different colour or something, it was abit wishy-washy.

Peter's was fun, would never think of that as a concept but it really worked.

I thought hannah's was a disaster, even if it hadn't fallen apart I didn't think it was a great design.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with Jodie's - I loved the concept and the sound of it, but the finished product was a bit of a let down.

Hope that's the kick up the arse she needs to rock it in the final!

I thought Adam's was great, but as two separate pieces! The sink and the pedestal just didn't look like they belonged together at all. And that sink would be an absolute nightmare to try and keep clean :D

The suitcases - meh, close up the detail was fantastic, and they were clearly very well built. But as an overall piece it just didn't wow me.

Hannah's skill for decoration is a lot better than her building skill, esp on that scale! Jodie had a lucky escape this week!

It'll be a very close final, methinks!

Final! Predictions folks? Adam or Jodie I think. Hannah should have gone before last week imo and i think Peter hung on a few times too.

Adam picked the wrong night to push boundaries á la Alon, I fear :eek:

I'm rooting for Jodie, just for her accent and she's lovely! All the wrong reasons, I know - but she's a great potter as well...

• Advertisement

As long as Jodie doesn't have a kiln disaster (which they all could have, in fairness!) I fancy her designs way above the others - they look gorgeous!

Advertisement