Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

dee_mc wrote: »
    I haven't seen those in ages! The peanut ones in the same range are only ok - they've got that icy, grainy quality I associate with non dairy ice cream, whereas the salted caramel ones are impressively creamy! They did a summer fruits/some kind of berry one that was pretty good too.

My local Aldi is probably one of the quietest in the country so it was probably old stock lingering. All gone today when I passed the freezer section.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

I got some Specially Selected blood oranges this morning. I have eaten two and they are absolutely delicious... nicest oranges I've had in a long time. They are sourced from Italy and come in a 4 pack.

Just bought a pack. Two of the four were rotten when I took them out of the box, mouldy and rotten underneath. The other two look like they are close to turning and need you be eaten with 24/48 hours max which just isn't acceptable.

I love Aldi but hate hate hate how often their "fresh" fruit is anything but fresh.

Lidl fruit is so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

54and56 wrote: »
    Just bought a pack. Two of the four were rotten when I took them out of the box, mouldy and rotten underneath. The other two look like they are close to turning and need you be eaten with 24/48 hours max which just isn't acceptable.

I love Aldi but hate hate hate how often their "fresh" fruit is anything but fresh.

Lidl fruit is so much better.
    Have to agree with that. Aldi fruit doesn't last most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭con747

I got 5 packs of the carrot and parsnip packs for 49c in the deal to make a batch of soup and 2 of them were rotten underneath when opened, find that a lot with their pre-packed veg lately.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To be fair, blood oranges don't keep well, at all.
    We've had them from Lidl and had mouldy ones, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

had to dump a whole pack of Aldi tomatoes last week after throwing one mouldy one out the day it came home, but the rest all infected the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

awec wrote: »
    Bought the Italiamo Bell Pepper and Chilli soup.

Don't bother. It's awful. I was expecting like a sweet spicy soup. It's more like a tangy soup with big lumps of soggy chilli in it with almost no heat.

Italiamo? Thought that was LIDL?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Italiamo? Thought that was LIDL?

Bahaha wrong thread. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

In the super 6 area - pork medallions with smoked cheese and pancetta are very very nice. 25 mins in oven job done. I think they were around €2.00

Edit - turns out they are €3.99 per pack (2 in it) pricey in hindsight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The Gastro frozen chicken chunks (gluten free) are lovely - seem very similar to the Rosie & Jim brand. 65% chicken breast fillet so proper quality stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I really like the Joya apples (Red Cripps)
    They are the right balance between sweet and sour and have a lovely crunch without being too hard.
    They are great as an eating apple but I think they would be suitable for baking too.

Suckit wrote: »
    Have to agree with that. Aldi fruit doesn't last most of the time.

In my experience, Lidl is the same when it comes to fresh fruit and veg. That’s what you get I suppose with no dates on the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Do any of the people who moan about fruit veg actually look at it before buying or do they wear their masks over their eyes?

I've never had a problem with aldi or Lidl fruit and veg, but I'll always check it, look at the stalks, check underneath and if unsure, I won't buy.

Same in Tesco. An extra few seconds is all you need

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I really like the Joya apples (Red Cripps)
    They are the right balance between sweet and sour and have a lovely crunch without being too hard.
    They are great as an eating apple but I think they would be suitable for baking too.

Yes, I agree, had never had this variety before but got them in the super 6 last week and they are lovely - very firm and crunchy with a sweet, but not too sweet, taste. I find the pink ladies so sweet they are almost bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

In my experience, Lidl is the same when it comes to fresh fruit and veg. That’s what you get I suppose with no dates on the product.

I thought that instead of using a DDMM(YY) date system, Aldi and Lidl used WWDD, ie week number day number. According to my diary, we're currently in Week 08. I expect Monday is Day 01 (don't know why they need 2 digits for 7 days - perhaps to allow for future expansion :rolleyes: ), so 0901 would be Monday next week.

Why use this system? Surely not to obfuscate the Best Before date :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

tangy wrote: »
    I thought that instead of using a DDMM(YY) date system, Aldi and Lidl used WWDD, ie week number day number. According to my diary, we're currently in Week 08. I expect Monday is Day 01 (don't know why they need 2 digits for 7 days - perhaps to allow for future expansion :rolleyes: ), so 0901 would be Monday next week.

Surely not! :D

I honestly thought no BBD were on the packaging. Could never see it. I must have a look for that date format now.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Darc19 wrote: »
    Do any of the people who moan about fruit veg actually look at it before buying or do they wear their masks over their eyes?

I've never had a problem with aldi or Lidl fruit and veg, but I'll always check it, look at the stalks, check underneath and if unsure, I won't buy.

Don't know what you buy, but that's not my experience. I too carefully inspect all foods before buying and, in spite my best efforts, with mixed success. Just threw out a whole punnet of ripe-at-home peaches that looked lovely and healthy in store, but got all mouldy before they got ripe. And that just after I had ripened a different batch of peaches from another store, which turned out absolutely delicious in the same storing conditions. It's easier picking some other fruit and veg, but with others it's difficult. Aldi pineapples so often go bad before they get sweet enough to eat and even then they are mediocre at best - I have stopped buying them in Aldi altogether. Tesco's pineapples are way better. Lidl's avocados go bad way, way less often than Aldi's. Now, it's not that all fruit and veg from Aldi is bad, but you need to know what is worth buying there. Lots of waste in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭con747

Darc19 wrote: »

Yes I do, but with certain pre packed veg it is vacuum sealed with a black base. Explain how do I inspect this underneath? Also I do not handle every single pack to find the best one for obvious reasons.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Not the biggest fan of blue cheese, but the Specially Selected Cashel Blue is delicious, quite mild, very creamy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Those Saturday Pizzas are very good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I quiet like the cheeses there. The Buffalo Mozzerella is lovely. They do lovely hazelnut chocolate there and grainnes danish are nice. The prosecco's are lovely aswell. Regarding fruit and veg I prefer Lidl. The pomegranate and cherries aren't too bad in either aldi or lidl. Just to get them at the right time so they don't go off. The pizzas and the beef is nicer in Aldi though. I've found their ground coffee and decafe ranges cheaper, nicer and a better selection of herbal teas than Lidl. so its a mix bag for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Don't know what you buy, but that's not my experience. I too carefully inspect all foods before buying and, in spite my best efforts, with mixed success. Just threw out a whole punnet of ripe-at-home peaches that looked lovely and healthy in store, but got all mouldy before they got ripe. And that just after I had ripened a different batch of peaches from another store, which turned out absolutely delicious in the same storing conditions. It's easier picking some other fruit and veg, but with others it's difficult. Aldi pineapples so often go bad before they get sweet enough to eat and even then they are mediocre at best - I have stopped buying them in Aldi altogether. Tesco's pineapples are way better. Lidl's avocados go bad way, way less often than Aldi's. Now, it's not that all fruit and veg from Aldi is bad, but you need to know what is worth buying there. Lots of waste in my experience.

I buy all my fruit and most of my veg in Supervalu now.
    It's a pain adding another supermarket to the list but no point in paying money for food that's inedible.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

I also do the fruit/veg shop in SuperValu. I find that Aldi is a bit better than Lidl with regards to freshness though. But not as good as Lidl in terms of packaging.

tangy wrote: »

I believe the WWDD they use is the date of packing the item, not the BBE date. I got some tomatoes there on Friday for example and the code on them is 0703 - and given Friday was 0805 it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I believe the WWDD they use is the date of packing the item, not the BBE date. I got some tomatoes there on Friday for example and the code on them is 0703 - and given Friday was 0805 it makes sense.

Yes, that would make sense.

Ah, I thought I had it cracked :rolleyes:

We seem to have been collecting potatoes. The bags we have from Aldi have the date as DDMM, so they're no help. A bag I bought from Lidl the week before Christmas is 5102. I must have bought them on Thursday 17th December, or 5104, so 5102 does look like the packing date.

Sorry for giving wrong information.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭alwayswright

Has anyone noticed a decline in the quality of the 24 Month Aged Cheddar.

It's not as crumbly now at all, even rubbery in texture. Has none of that crystallisation either. I won't be buying it again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭ongarite

Has anyone noticed a decline in the quality of the 24 Month Aged Cheddar?

It's not as crumbly now at all, even rubbery in texture. Has none of that crystallisation either. I won't be buying it again

It could be do with the seasonality of cow feeding/grazing in Ireland.
    Same has been mentioned here before in regards to butter too.

Cows are only getting back to grazing on grass again after being on winter feed for last 3-4 months. The flavour/texture of milk, butter, cheese from winter feed would be different to summer/autumn grass grazing

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Has anyone noticed a decline in the quality of the 24 Month Aged Cheddar.

Is this the black packet one?

It's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Lidl vintage cheddar, while not Irish, is lovely.
    Always thought it better than the Aldi version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Has anyone tried Aldi the Click and Collect service... seems to have been added to my local store in the past week and I'm intrigued :)

For recommendations: I really rate the Marinated tomatoes which are stocked with the fresh antipasti items.

They're lovely in an omelette, as part of a salad or paired with (the cook-in-the-oven) ciabatta bread alongside some nice cheese, drizzled with the Moderna balsamic vinegar... I have also mixed them through pasta sauce a few minutes before the pasta was fully cooked - delicious!

Advertisement