Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭sporina

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Another vote for them, my new favourite biscuit-they're gorgeous. Between them and Marie's brown bread from Aldi I'm going to balloon up:pac:

yes Marie's brown bread is indulgent.. as brown bread goes.. but as food goes its still relatively healthy.. enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

These!!
    I'd never seen them before and almost didn't buy them but it was the only one left so I was afraid I'd miss out on something.
    Really filling and really hotttttt!
    I had them with wedges but I reckon they would be lovely with tortillas and dips as well.
    €3.49

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anyone ever spent time in Australia? They have nice biscuits over there called Tim Tams. Aldi has a new brand of biscuits called Just Divine and they are very similar to these Tim Tams. And they really are just divine.

Tim Tams are like Penguin bars. Looking at the picture the wavy writing suggests it is a tim tam copy.

15894156-0-image-a-11_1562804742062.jpg

Maybe they first made them for the Australian market and brought them here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

rubadub wrote: »
    Tim Tams are like Penguin bars. Looking at the picture the wavy writing suggests it is a tim tam copy.

15894156-0-image-a-11_1562804742062.jpg

Maybe they first made them for the Australian market and brought them here.

Penguin bars are different. I tried that dipping the bar in tea trick with a penguin bar and it didn't work. It worked with the Aldi just divine biscuits.

Also the packets available here doesn't have the wavy writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The MY Q protein yogurts and pudding yogurts are very nice and good for a filling snack - the raspberry and strawberry in the yogurts and the chocolate pudding are my favourites :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I had buttermilk chicken from Aldi last night, they were in a sirracha breadcrumb, hot, but not too hot that the kids didn't appreciate them.

25mins in the oven and they were cooked to perfection. No problem whatsoever recommending them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The chicken and bacon wraps in the chill fridge...have had one before and it was ok..picked another up there for a quick snack...foot long blond hair inside it...I feel quite ill...ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

The chicken and bacon wraps in the chill fridge...have had one before and it was ok..picked another up there for a quick snack...foot long blond hair inside it...I feel quite ill...ffs...

Oh gross... Did you complain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Kamili wrote: »
    Oh gross... Did you complain?

No, I was already at home, will have a word tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

No, I was already at home, will have a word tomorrow

Take photos and bring it back in if you haven't chucked it already.

https://customerservice.aldi.ie/contact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

McMurphy wrote: »
    I had buttermilk chicken from Aldi last night, they were in a sirracha breadcrumb, hot, but not too hot that the kids didn't appreciate them.

25mins in the oven and they were cooked to perfection. No problem whatsoever recommending them.

Are they in fresh or frozen section? Had a look today and couldn't see any sign of them.

Ryath wrote: »
    Are they in fresh or frozen section? Had a look today and couldn't see any sign of them.

Fresh. I'm due a mini shop tonight and will have a look and check they're still there.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Fresh. I'm due a mini shop tonight and will have a look and check they're still there.

Yeah, still there. There's three options available, the aforementioned "so hot it's inedible" spicebag chicken, a chorizo and something traybake and the buttermilk chicken.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Peanut Choc' Ums are definitely NOT peanut M&Ms :(. They're really cheap tasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,945 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

sporina wrote: »
    I'm a Tesco girl but happened to be in an ALDI the other day..

Got Marie's Brown Bread (with sunflower seeds etc) - OMG its delicious - so much so that I had to google it... turns out she won the National Brown Bread Competition (run by ALDI/ICA/NPA)..
    Tis a reason to go to ALDI in itself..
    I highly recommend it..
    Got this today on the back of the posts in this thread.....

Mixed reaction - it has a lovely nutty, sweet taste to it, like treacle soda bread, which is great. But the texture is really dense and solid which doesn't appeal to me so much. It's almost like it's a bit stale, but it definitely isn't (or shouldn't be, 4 days to the BBE date).

Far nicer than the Atlantic wheaten bread though, I found that quite dry.

And kudos to them for packaging it in a hard plastic case which (hopefully) is recyclable, rather than the soft plastic which isn't.

I'll be buying again, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Got this today on the back of the posts in this thread.....

Mixed reaction - it has a lovely nutty, sweet taste to it, like treacle soda bread, which is great. But the texture is really dense and solid which doesn't appeal to me so much. It's almost like it's a bit stale, but it definitely isn't (or shouldn't be, 4 days to the BBE date).

Far nicer than the Atlantic wheaten bread though, I found that quite dry.

And kudos to them for packaging it in a hard plastic case which (hopefully) is recyclable, rather than the soft plastic which isn't.

I'll be buying again, I reckon.

Also got it this week, really like the seeds etc , do know what you mean about the texture. Liking it much more when it’s toasted a bit, worth trying !

sillysocks wrote: »
    Also got it this week, really like the seeds etc , do know what you mean about the texture. Liking it much more when it’s toasted a bit, worth trying !

Yeah, I tried a slice toasted, and it was nice as well, but still just a bit dense/solid for my taste. Still a very nice bread though!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

The Ancient Grains sourdough is very tasty, if you like a granary style bread. Lovely flavoursome bread, just add lots of butter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ben Done wrote: »
    The Ancient Grains sourdough is very tasty, if you like a granary style bread. Lovely flavoursome bread, just add lots of butter.

It makes a great sandwich bread, the slices are big and soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭con747

Got these and will buy again, a bit smaller than normal but worth it. Like a Magnum. https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/p-mint-chocolate-340g-giannis/4088600294070

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

con747 wrote: »
    Got these and will buy again, a bit smaller than normal but worth it. Like a Magnum. https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/p-mint-chocolate-340g-giannis/4088600294070
    That just leads to a Click & Collect ad page..... what did you buy??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭con747

Goes straight to the product for me, it was Mint Chocolate 340g Gianni's like a Magnum ice cream. I am using a pc and it goes straight to the product but just tried on my phone and it goes where you said.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    Goes straight to the product for me, it was Mint Chocolate 340g Gianni's like a Magnum ice cream. I am using a pc and it goes straight to the product but just tried on my phone and it goes where you said.
    tangy wrote: »
    I'm on a laptop, and both of those links just bring me to a Click&Collect ad page - very strange!

I got a box of the mini-Magnum copies (Gelatelli), and I don't think they're as good as they used to be. I think they're smaller, and the chocolate doesn't seem to be as good quality.

I was completely addicted to them last summer, but doubt I'll be as bad this time round (maybe it needs to be summer though :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Perhaps these:
    Mint Chocolate Ice Creams - ALDI UK
    703435419740800-A.jpg?o=iCwitWDzpxDV3ygxihYPYthCtccj&V=dBM6&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77
    That's from the UK site.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I'm on a laptop, and both of those links just bring me to a Click&Collect ad page - very strange!

You were too quick for me :) I deleted my post after trying the link in another browser :(

Try the UK job which I've just posted:
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/mint-chocolate-ice-creams/p/703435419740800#

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Maybe you have a click & collect store near you and you'll see the link properly if you turn off your location? The link works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I got a box of the mini-Magnum copies (Gelatelli), and I don't think they're as good as they used to be. I think they're smaller, and the chocolate doesn't seem to be as good quality.

I cant speak of their Magnum copies but about 6 months ago their copy of Dairy Milk branded 'Dairy Fine' changed completely in taste. I dont know what ingredients they swapped out but it went downhill to the point I havent bought it since. I think it might be to do with cocoa rising in price and Aldi want to keep their prices the same so instead they made cheaper substitutions in the ingredients rather than rising the price. Would have preferred they did the latter to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Got the last box of the vegan salted caramel magnum equivalents in my local Aldi.

My god they are delicious.

The little lad didn't like them (had never been able to taste ice cream like this before) so I got to finish them off :D

There's no way I could tell there was no dairy in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ben Done wrote: »

Lidl also do a very nice Ancient Grains bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

lassykk wrote: »
    Got the last box of the vegan salted caramel magnum equivalents in my local Aldi.

My god they are delicious.

The little lad didn't like them (had never been able to taste ice cream like this before) so I got to finish them off :D

There's no way I could tell there was no dairy in them.

I haven't seen those in ages! The peanut ones in the same range are only ok - they've got that icy, grainy quality I associate with non dairy ice cream, whereas the salted caramel ones are impressively creamy! They did a summer fruits/some kind of berry one that was pretty good too.

Advertisement