Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

msmx5 wrote:
    Any wine specials in Lidl at the moment are a disaster - hardly any stock - if any.

Lidl wines are are usually quite good. I'd rate them higher than Tesco or Dunnes and at least on a par with Supervalu. But their merchandising is hopeless.

If they are holding a French French wine promotion the least you would expect is a decent stock level and some point of sale material. They don't seem to understand any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭zell12

In fairness, all supermarkets are under pressure on alcohol stock, not just Lidl.
    Plus, supermarkets are under pressure not to sell/advertise non-essential products. Rem our govt was considering curbing alcohol sales to curb C-19 spread

zell12 wrote:
    In fairness, all supermarkets are under pressure on alcohol stock, not just Lidl. Plus, supermarkets are under pressure not to sell/advertise non-essential products, which booze qualifies under!

They announced a French wine promotion, including media coverage and reviews. I would have expected them to have enough stock to make it worth their while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

zell12 wrote: »
    In fairness, all supermarkets are under pressure on alcohol stock, not just Lidl.
    Plus, supermarkets are under pressure not to sell/advertise non-essential products. Rem our govt was considering curbing alcohol sales to curb C-19 spread

No, Lidl have been at this practice for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

OldRio wrote: »
    No, Lidl have been at this practice for years.

Yeah running a wine of the week on promo and leaving the same shelf space \ stock levels so it runs out very quickly.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

zell12 wrote: »

They might have more success curbing C-19 by curbing coffee sales! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

First Up wrote: »
    I was going to mention that Lidl are supposed to have a French wine sale running since last Thursday but it is a total non event.

Some of the wines got good reviews in the papers but in three branches I visited today hardly any of them were on the shelves and there was no mention of a French promotion.

Maybe they will re-stock next week but I wouldn't bet on it. They don't seem to be taking it very seriously.

I've noticed this in the past from Lidl, Aldi & Centra - they advertise something, and you go to the shop and it's not there. Ask the staff and they know nothing about it. Bit of a snakey way of doing business.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

SkatesOn wrote: »
    I've noticed this in the past from Lidl, Aldi & Centra - they advertise something, and you go to the shop and it's not there. Ask the staff and they know nothing about it. Bit of a snakey way of doing business.

It is cheaper than below cost selling - entice them in with an unbelievable offer and its not there - unbelievable.

Just hope they buy something while they try and find it.

SkatesOn wrote:

Its known as Bait and Switch in the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dunnes

Bushmills 70 cl €21

• Advertisement

They're selling off Ketel One 70cl flavoured vodkas for a 10er in tesco. Got some rose flavoured and cucumber flavoured spirits.

30% volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Invincible

Any of you notice the Vat went back to 23% today ?
    €12.30 for 6 cans of Murphy's in SuperValu this evening, €2.30 Vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 spj

Just wondering if anyone has tried ordering from https://www.mybooze.eu/ since January 1st this year?

they ship from within the EU, but the deliveries come through the UK I think.

Lidl have no more of the French wines on promotion so that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

Its known as Bait and Switch in the trade.

Illegal in some countries, but doesn't stop the supermarkets here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭IQO

Lidl

12x Cobra Indian beer bottles, 33cl for 12.25 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

Can anyone recommend a cheap gin that tastes good? And not a flavoured one, just a plain one to have in the press for cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Fern Bench wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a cheap gin that tastes good? And not a flavoured one, just a plain one to have in the press for cocktails.

Bottle of Beefeater, you can't go wrong.

Can usually get it somewhere for 20e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The Lidl Hampstead is fine for cocktails and is cheap. You can also often get beefeater for 18 or 19 euro

Tanqueray standard is a solid gin imo

probably a couple of euro more than Beefeater but worth that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Has anyone seen any good brandy deals out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Cork is only €19 in dunnes at the minute

That's for 70cl I presume?

it's not only a stereotype that it's a very basic tasting gin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I did a blind taste test with the missus over the Christmas with 7 or 8 different gins, including Beefeater, Tanquary and the Lidl and Aldi gins. Gordons came out the best, followed by Aldi, then Lidl.

stimpson wrote:
    I did a blind taste test with the missus over the Christmas with 7 or 8 different gins, including Beefeater, Tanquary and the Lidl and Aldi gins. Gordons came out the best, followed by Aldi, then Lidl.

What tonic did you use in the blind tasting? It is 75% of the package and is almost as important as the gin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I got great value on a good Chablis from https://www.kwmwine.com/Mobile/ having spent a lot of time searching for deals and researching wine reviews.

They seemed to have good prices on craft beers too. Based in NI but got delivery to the South West in under 48 hours with no customs/VAT issues (I had checked this out with them beforehand).

Very impressed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

glasso wrote: »
    it's not only a stereotype that it's a very basic tasting gin

It ticks the requested boxes. I prefer it to Gordon's anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What tonic did you use in the blind tasting? It is 75% of the package and is almost as important as the gin.

Only if you drink a 1:3 gin & tonic

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote:
    Only if you drink a 1:3 gin & tonic

I know that many sailors drink gin with water, as tonic would cost them more than the gin.

Advertisement