Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

First Up wrote: »
    What tonic did you use in the blind tasting? It is 75% of the package and is almost as important as the gin.

I can’t remember but it’s likely to have been Schweppes or the canned Aldi stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What tonic did you use in the blind tasting? It is 75% of the package and is almost as important as the gin.

I find the little cans of Schweppes with a measure and a splash of gin works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

stimpson wrote:
    I can’t remember but it’s likely to have been Schweppes or the canned Aldi stuff.

I think it matters. Some tonics (like the Elderflower versions) mask the gin enough to reduce the difference between the very fancy expensive ones and their cheaper cousins.

glasso wrote: »
    Tanqueray standard is a solid gin imo

probably a couple of euro more than Beefeater but worth that

another factor is ABV

Tanqueray in Ireland is 43.1% ABV

Maybe that's why I like the taste :D (there is a 47.3% version that you see around Europe)

Something like Beefeater is 40% or Cork Dry Gin 37.5%, likewise with some of the Lidl and Aldi ones

More taste (for me anyways) and more kick! (15% stronger over 37.5%)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Caranica wrote: »
    I got great value on a good Chablis from https://www.kwmwine.com/Mobile/ having spent a lot of time searching for deals and researching wine reviews.

They seemed to have good prices on craft beers too. Based in NI but got delivery to the South West in under 48 hours with no customs/VAT issues (I had checked this out with them beforehand).

Very impressed!!

Their whiskey prices are a bit all over the place but one of my regular tipples is very well priced. How do they deliver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Guinness and Heineken 12 x 500mls euro15 in supervalu until 10th of March. Think Bud, Carlsberg and bulmers is on offer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Their whiskey prices are a bit all over the place but one of my regular tipples is very well priced. How do they deliver?

Parcelforce to courier, I'll check with my sister which one they used (I sent the wine to her).

Caranica wrote: »
    Parcelforce to courier, I'll check with my sister which one they used (I sent the wine to her).

I think they're chancing their arm on the customs and excise front. This is from their website:

As we are based in and ship from the UK you may be liable for local duties and VAT on imported goods. Please check with your relevant local authority if you are unsure and need clarity.

I reckon the chances of anything being stopped crossing the border are negligible so they're winging it.

I think I'll give them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you look at their Google reviews, there's no mention I could see about customs to the Republic. I did ask them specifically and they said they'd had no issues. They ship internationally so that warning would apply to other countries too. I ordered about 5pm Tuesday and the order was received in a small rural village in the South West at 9.15am this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

which whiskey is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Centra
    EnJJqg1.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

25% off champagne and sparkling wine up until Mothers day at Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Supervalu have some wines reduced to 7e, cabernets and sav blancs eg Eden Lodge and Montemar.

Supposedly reduced from 14-15e but think have seen them regularly listed cheaper than that
    But still its 7e wine...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

Anyone see any hard seltzer on offer following a keto diet here but would like something different than whiskey or vodka so looking for low carbs drink

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The one in Aldi is cheap. It is rotten though but that's just my opinion.

sidcon wrote: »
    Anyone see any hard seltzer on offer following a keto diet here but would like something different than whiskey or vodka so looking for low carbs drink

Tesco have this half price for €1.50 per 250ml can
    * Smirnoff Seltzer Orange And Grapefruit
    * It has a very subtle flavour, perhaps add an orange peel or lemon slice as a garnish
    * https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=305980933

Possibly a base spirit, san pellegrino and the garnish might hit the spot also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Right folks, time to dig in....

Slabs (all 500ml)

Bud, Heino, C'Berg, Guinness - 25€ per slab

Spirits - Smirnoff & Captains 1lt - €23

Dunnes.

Live tomorrow !.

The one in Aldi is cheap. It is rotten though but that's just my opinion.

The one what?

ALDI have Jameson, Bushmills whiskey for €20

The one what?

I presume, without needing to be Sherlock Holmes, that they're referring to the post directly before theirs.

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »
    which whiskey is that?

Highland Park 12.

I presume, without needing to be Sherlock Holmes, that they're referring to the post directly before theirs.

Sherlock wouldn't assume anything as open to other interpretations. That's what the quote system is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sidcon wrote: »
    Anyone see any hard seltzer on offer

as this is booze deals its worth saying even when on offer they are usually far more expensive than getting a bottle of vodka and a mixer (be it coke or flavoured sparkling water) and making your own.

Tesco do 1L bottles of fizzy water for 25c, so it is not a big bottle that goes flat.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=305199637

Can add a dash of fruit juices etc.

The 1L bottle of smirnoff for €23 in dunnes contains the alcohol of 32 those €1.50 cans of smirnoff.

32 cans is €48euro for 8L, so it is like the 7L of fizzy flavoured water is costing €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Roe & Co Irish Whiskey 70cl, 30euro online in O'Briens.

Was in Tesco for 25euro before Christmas, my first time trying it and was impressed - would happily pay 30euro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The one what?

The seltzer, should have quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Any deals on Guinness lads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Claude Greengrass

Staropramen 12 bottles for 15quid in obriens.

Also saw the abv reduced in the 2 budweiser owned beers. Becks down to 4% and stella down to 4.6%, less taste to save a bit on tax, yad swear they were a small company

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

post 1429 says Guinness 500ml in Dunnes slab €25

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

About 6 posts above yours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

dodzy wrote: »
    Right folks, time to dig in....

Slabs (all 500ml)

Bud, Heino, C'Berg, Guinness - 25€ per slab

Spirits - Smirnoff & Captains 1lt - €23

Dunnes.

Live tomorrow !.

Guinness and Heineken slabs are €32 in Dunnes Clondalkin.

Advertisement