Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SOTC(state of the collection) thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Cyrus wrote: »
    Yeah I love it and it looks great on her, she has a more sallow complexion than me though !

When I grow up I want a day date on a president .maybe white gold, great value in 1990's yellow gold ones. Very recognisable watch. I am supprised how big the IWC looks what the diameter on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fitz II wrote: »
    When I grow up I want a day date on a president .maybe white gold, great value in 1990's yellow gold ones. Very recognisable watch. I am supprised how big the IWC looks what the diameter on that?

Only 41mm and it wears well but it’s all dial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭dinorebel

david wrote: »
    Some really heavy hitting tasteful pieces here lately!

Presenting my very humble collection, minimal, but all I really need for now

Dress: Stowa Marine Classic 2801-2 Roman/Handwinding
    Sports: Sinn 104 ST SA I

531007.jpg

Still have an SKX007 not pictured which I don't really count, stock aside from Crafter Blue and flat sapphire. I may shift it on at some stage, rarely wear it, washing the car/DIY etc. not costing me anything to own, got it before the bubble.
    Replied to say how much I love the Sinn then spent 10 minutes drooling over the Stowa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Cyrus wrote: »
    Only 41mm and it wears well but it’s all dial

It looks huge. As does the PAM.

Then the VC which is 42mm looks tiny!

Lovely collection!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭VW 1

dinorebel wrote: »
    Replied to say how much I love the Sinn then spent 10 minutes drooling over the Stowa.

Two beautiful watches. I find I only ever give wristtime to two watches at a time, a diver style for casual and a more dress type watch for work. Those two would cover every base for me, other than exercise when I use my gshock g7900a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

VW 1 wrote: »
    Two beautiful watches. I find I only ever give wristtime to two watches at a time, a diver style for casual and a more dress type watch for work. Those two would cover every base for me, other than exercise when I use my gshock g7900a
    Thank you VW 1 - to be honest this was my thinking exactly - over my (short) career collecting watches, I've had a good few affordable's, multiple Seiko's to tinker with/practice modding, multiple dress watches. I kept finding myself going back to the same two all the time and the rest gathering dust on a shelf. A dress-casual watch for work and a 200m sportier watch for everything else covers 99.9% of my bases.

Decided to cull the herd and stick to two watches I really enjoy rather than many entry level watches I somewhat enjoy. I've always enjoyed all things German whether it's the cars I'm driving, the knives I use cooking, architecture/design or even the beer I'm drinking. Narrowing the focus of my collection strategy in line with this made sense. Watch collecting is not something I'm in a position to sink a lot of cash into, so far I've been luckily cost neutral/positive if anything. Trying to avoid impulse buys, researching extensively and sticking to the pre-owned market is key.

I'm not sure what my next step will be from here. I'd like to think it will be one in one out but we'll see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

Never had a decent box before to display my modest collection. Used to keep them some in their boxes and others loose in drawer. It feels a little underwhelming compared to some of the heavy hitters here! :o Was going to order the Wolf trays mentioned on bargain thread last week to put in the drawer but the only ones in a colour I liked was a set of two for 24 watches! It was €50 I spotted this Stackers one on amazon for £20 so took a chance on it. Like the double compartment so I can leave out a cushion and keep bits in it.

533547.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭CarProblem

After the GS arrived I felt brave enough to chance this. Awful photo so I must get a proper one tomorrow when it's better light

IMG-20201231-170641.jpg

Very happy with my bunch - though had I known lockdown(s) would go on so long (and I'd not be spending any money for so long) I'd probably have waited and bought a BB58 instead of the Oris (although I do really like the Oris). Suppose flipping at some stage in 2021 is still an option, we'll see

This is my watch box which cost me the princely sum of £12.09 a few months ago!

Jan 2021 - Update.

1. Seiko SKX007 - J version, unmodified. 2020
    2. Tudor Black Bay 58 2020
    3. Omega Seamaster 300m 2020
    4. Rolex Milgauss - 2010
    5. Rolex Submariner 2019.
    6. Rolex Pepsi Ceramic - 2020.
    7. Rolex Daytona 2008 WG.
    8. AP Royal Oak Chrono- 2016

Plans for 21....VC Overseas - not a blue dial (have enough blue) on Bracelet. Get miltat strap for the seiko, One in one out.

Screenshot-2021-01-02-153416.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Big fan of the Milgauss. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wibbs wrote: »
    Big fan of the Milgauss. :)

Wears small, so very suitable for a small wrist. Now there's your plan for 2021 Wibbs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭VW 1

What would be a decent price to pick up a Milgauss second hand? It's probably the only Rolex I'd consider, something very eye-catching about it.

VW 1 wrote: »
    What would be a decent price to pick up a Milgauss second hand? It's probably the only Rolex I'd consider, something very eye-catching about it.

Its a nice watch alright. Around 7 grand private sale or 8 grand from a dealer. Watchfinder price them about 8500. The chrono graph is below, they are on the rise and there is strong talk of discontinuation next year (pinch of salt, pure speculation). So now is the time to get one.

Screenshot-2021-01-02-193959.jpg

Love the Milgauss but even in that company the AP really stands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Here is my own humble collection.

ffQLmMkl.jpg

Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT premium 500 Ceramic
    NTH Barracuda - Vintage Black
    Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1
    BOBO Bird Wooden Watch
    Seiko Blumo
    Tisell 9015ex
    Gshock DW-5600BB-1ER
    Casio Duro MDV106-1A
    NTH Barracuda - Polar White
    Seiko Samurai - Dawn Grey
    Seiko Presage Cocktail Hour
    Casio Edifice ECB-10DC-1AEF

Hopefully before the end of 2021 I can add one "luxury"watch to the box, but I might need to move a few watches on to make room and help finance it. My problem is picking one; my taste changes like the wind.

Pablo_Flox wrote: »

Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1
    BOBO Bird Wooden Watch
    Seiko Blumo
    Tisell 9015ex
    Gshock DW-5600BB-1ER
    Casio Duro MDV106-1A

Hopefully before the end of 2021 I can add one "luxury"watch to the box, but I might need to move a few watches on to make room and help finance it. My problem is picking one; my taste changes like the wind.

I hear the stage 4 Rolex train a-coming. Nice collection Pablo!

Pablo_Flox wrote: »

Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1
    BOBO Bird Wooden Watch
    Seiko Blumo
    Tisell 9015ex
    Gshock DW-5600BB-1ER
    Casio Duro MDV106-1A

Grey Dawn the stand out for me although the Tissell always amazes me it's not 3 or 4 times it's price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

It's a terrible picture, but while doing some tidying today, I took a pic of my current regular wearers.

All except the Ferrari, that's for hop.

wOHTnI.jpg

All chronos...

Lorddrakul you and Unkle buying your seiko divers the same place?

That chapter ring has to be genuine seiko :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sees three register chronos... *twitches* :D

That's a nice collection L. I love the 70's Speedy. IMHO they wear nicer than the 60's(and current) ones. I mean for those who find the Speedmaster awkward to wear and it's common enough some people do. The 70's evolution sits differently in my experience and I like even more that it's not the "standard" Speedy. Like the ana-digital Breitling too. Very 90's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Is that another Feiko?

893bet wrote: »
    Is that another Feiko?

Nope, a 2003 SKX009K, ceramic bezel insert and MilTAT Super Engineer II bracelet.

A bit of a beast now.

tmp-name-2-4064-1530727914-0_dblbig.jpg

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sees three register chronos... *twitches* :D

That's a nice collection L. I love the 70's Speedy. IMHO they wear nicer than the 60's(and current) ones. I mean for those who find the Speedmaster awkward to wear and it's common enough some people do. The 70's evolution sits differently in my experience and I like even more that it's not the "standard" Speedy. Like the ana-digital Breitling too. Very 90's.

Cheers.
    Yeah the Mark II is very comfortable. You'd think it was a lump, but it doesn't feel bulky at all and actually sits fairly neatly on the wrist.

The Aerospace is also a nostalgic item for me. Before I was into watches, while working in the industry in the 90s, I occasionally saw these in airline mags and such. Didn't know till years later what they were, but was always impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Here’s my first go at an SOTC post. One box of ‘decent’ watches and one box of beaters.

545487.jpeg

545489.jpeg

A bit of a mixed bag. I wear and use a watch every day (I’m a vet, I take pulses dozens of times a day). I value legibility and having the date. Aesthetically, I lean to the vintage.

The Nomos is obviously the best quality, the samurai and the Steinhart get the most wrist time.

The two Paganis were bought as watches to wear to work where they are abused, clattered off door frames and kennels, and are sometimes quite literally sh*tters. Of the two, I quite like wearing the 007 clone, so much so that I will consider a seamaster at some point. The daytauxna on the other hand put me off multi dial watches completely.

In the future, I’d consider upgrading the Steinhart to a BB, adding a Seamaster, losing the Cocktail Time (the Nomos fills that gap anyway), and of course there’s a Solas on the way. The beaters mostly serve a purpose, and are not really worth flogging.

I’d like to add a pulsometer, either a vintage Omega Chronostop or maybe a Sinn 144 (multi dial phobia notwithstanding). If I were really pushing the boat out, I’d like a white dial Milgauss.

I reckon I’ve spent about 3k over the last 4-5 years (and could probably sell them off for 2 so not too bad) but I don’t really intend adding anything for a while, having been through the early stages of the curve (buy *all* the watches), I now have a better idea what I like. I may have been better off getting one really good watch, but I wouldn’t have the variety, and I don’t think I have the discipline!

dakar wrote: »
    Here’s my first go at an SOTC

[The beaters mostly serve a purpose, and are not really worth flogging

I now have a better idea what I like. I may have been better off getting one really good watch, but Iwouldn’t have the variety, and I don’t think I have the discipline!

Some lovely watches. I am a big Nomos fan! Never see one I don’t like!

The beater serve also an unseen purpose. They are blockers. Space takers. Diluters (is that word?). Get rid IMO.

Nothing like a clear out to focus the mind and like you say, you now have a better idea of what you like.

Off topic as you are a vet. Next door neighbour lost a cow yesterday. She had mastitis and wouldn’t stand. He lifted her out of the shed. She was eating grass around her and a little meal. Vet was out. Woke up dead. Very strange. Mastitis probably unrelated.

Has another sick now. Vet out again. They are wondering about ragwort poisoning potentially. I would have thought they would need to eat a lot of that to get poisons. Very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Strange indeed, it’s a while since I’ve been a cow vet, but I think ragwort dried in forage can be quite concentrated, and is a potential problem for horses especially. Would be unusual to for it grow well in meadow grass for hay/silage though.

And yes, intellectually I agree completely, I should do a clear out. I haven’t gotten to the clear eyed stage of collecting watches yet though!

March 2021 State Of The Collection

Its only been Jan since my last update but with Lockdown it seems like about 12 months.

I sold a couple of Rolex to get the 5205g. The bank lost a transfer on me for 4 weeks. Nearly 30k lost in space and nobody doing anything. Had to kick up a real fuss over it, at one point I had paid for the watch twice and was really stressing out.

Feel the collection is getting more and more refined, fewer and fewer blockers.. The Daytona is interesting, reports coming in that the dial is starting to patina from the red hands and applied markers in a pink hue, I can see the start of it on mine, one to watch.
    Top - Seiko SKX007J on Strapcode, Sub no date 114060, Daytona 116509, Tag Aquaracer.

hd-IMG-0024.jpg
    Bottom - Patek 5205g010, Royal Oak Chrono 41mm, Vacheron Overseas Gen 2.

This photo will self distruct in 30 days.

• Advertisement

A covid year in watch collecting is 10 years normally. Your level of buying and selling in the last 12 months has been a whirlwind.

The Daytona is the only Rolex that should be untouchable unless it’s being rolled into something else untouchable.

The Patek has added a new dimension entirely. One you tried to fill with the JLC along the way. I am sure there is more to come but it gets much harder now. There are 4 watches there that it is very difficult flip onto something better. Even sideways steps are difficult now, whereas with Rolex or Omega etc you can endless flip between them. Easy flip a Rolex sub for a dog**** oyster perpetual and back and forth.

But there is more to come!

Advertisement