Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting your physio during the pandemic?

Options
  • 01-03-2021 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I really need to see my physio due to problems with my back but I'm plain scared.

As well as working privately my physio also works in a big public hospital where there's a busy Covid ward. I'm sure the physio will have been vaccinated but that may not prevent transmission. While I'm confident he will follow all HSE protocols in his private rooms I can't help feeling that seeing him right now would be risky.

Or am I being too cautious? I'm in a fair bit of pain. What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

FWIW I saw my physio a few times during the L5 in November. Both of us wearing masks, temperature checks on the way in and I know they wipe down and change bench coverings between clients.

If your guy works in a hospital he may already have been vaccinated ?

Its a risk but a calculated one IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

I've been to mine several times, felt safe and in control. You could catch covid a million ways, at least the Physio is calculated and very low chance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I really need to see my physio due to problems with my back but I'm plain scared.

As well as working privately my physio also works in a big public hospital where there's a busy Covid ward. I'm sure the physio will have been vaccinated but that may not prevent transmission. While I'm confident he will follow all HSE protocols in his private rooms I can't help feeling that seeing him right now would be risky.

Or am I being too cautious? I'm in a fair bit of pain. What do people think?

Going today to see the physio. Physio are a business and will take all the precautions they can. Number of cases per day, the odds are very high you catching it there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Most physios have not been vaccinated yet. Only the ones who work in hospital I believe.

If you absolutely have to go, get yourself an n95/ffp3 mask and wear it in conjunction with a face shield, and request windows to be left open at practice, if they aren't already open.

Just on another note A lot of physio work these days is more just showing you excercises and advising. U might want to consider doing an online consultation and see if that helps first?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Thanks a lot for the replies. I really appreciate the honesty but some of you guys are confirming my fears, that I could easily catch it there. Average runner, do you really think the odds are that high?:(

My back problem isn't urgent and I probably can wait a while longer if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

I also went to physio quite a few times through pandemic. Plenty of precautions taken, everything that you could reasonably expect.

There's no way I would not go if I was you. Physio is an essential medical service. You'll only do yourself more harm by not getting your back sorted in the long run.

Your chances of getting Covid this way are very very low. Also unless you are in a vulnerable group, more than likely your bad back is going to cause you more issues than Covid would anyway.

If you are really very worried - why don't you book a private physio that doesn't also work in a hospital?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you feel you need to go to a physio just do it

I've had numerous medical appointments, daycase procedures and physio appointments throughout the pandemic. They are professionals and much less likely to result in any transmission than other places (including some shops) due to all the precautions they take

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Been in weekly physio for 6 months this year at my gp's.
    And to add to what beasty said have an 85 year old relative in and out of hospital and outpatient appointments xrays scans and surgery all year no problem.

Advertisement