Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

COVID wrote: »
    You mean this guy Avi Loeb and his sponsor/benefactor, Russian billionaire Yuri Milner?

Here's what some are saying about Abe Loeb and his 'theory that we've been visited by alien life':

"'Oumuamua' is not an alien spaceship, and the authors of the paper insult honest scientific inquiry to even suggest it," tweeted Paul M. Sutter, an astrophysicist at Ohio State University, shortly after the paper published.

North Carolina State University astrophysicist Katie Mack suggested to the Verge that Loeb was engaging in a common practice in which an astrophysicist poses a theory that they might not believe. “Sometimes you write a paper about something that you don’t believe to be true at all, just for the purpose of putting out there,” she told the publication.

“A shocking example of sensationalist, ill-motivated science,” theoretical astrophysicist Ethan Siegel wrote in Forbes.

Avi wrote a paper. His opponent wrote a journalistic article. See the difference. Peer review vs journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Avi wrote a paper. His opponent wrote a journalistic article. See the difference. Peer review vs journalism.

No.

The people quoted are scientists: here are the tiny clues:

North Carolina State University astrophysicist Katie Mack

Paul M. Sutter, an astrophysicist at Ohio State University

A shocking example of sensationalist, ill-motivated science,” theoretical astrophysicist Ethan Siegel wrote in Forbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You mean this guy Avi Loeb and his sponsor/benefactor, Russian billionaire Yuri Milner?

Here's what some are saying about Abe Loeb and his 'theory that we've been visited by alien life':

"'Oumuamua' is not an alien spaceship, and the authors of the paper insult honest scientific inquiry to even suggest it," tweeted Paul M. Sutter, an astrophysicist at Ohio State University, shortly after the paper published.

North Carolina State University astrophysicist Katie Mack suggested to the Verge that Loeb was engaging in a common practice in which an astrophysicist poses a theory that they might not believe. “Sometimes you write a paper about something that you don’t believe to be true at all, just for the purpose of putting out there,” she told the publication.

“A shocking example of sensationalist, ill-motivated science,” theoretical astrophysicist Ethan Siegel wrote in Forbes.

Moncrieff had a lad on recently who was talking about his study of that object. Ruled out any chance of it being an extraterrestrial “space craft”.

The tide is turning…

Moncrieff had a lad on recently who was talking about his study of that object. Ruled out any chance of it being an extraterrestrial “space craft”.

Yep.

There's a lot of Russian billionaire Yuri Milner's money available - hundreds of millions - for anyone who'll run with this alien space invader theory and who'll 'research' and give credence to same.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭VanHalen

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great footage.

Clear as crystal and 100% proof that flying saucers exist.

Plus, as a fluent Portuguese speaker, I can tell you now the commentator is announcing the end of the world as we know it!

I think he says something at the beginning about there not being a vaccine to stop the spread of the new variants - who is this guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

For any of the sceptics, go ahead and debunk it.

em God playing with a YoYo ?

Sure my granny talked to a lad that ruled out vaccines being safe. Avi published a paper. This means he went through a peer review process where a panel of several scientists go through your data and conclusions and determine if the data is sound and the conclusion which is built on that data is sound.

Here's the abstract to Avi's paper. Rebutting a paper requires generating or analysing data then forming an alternative explanation for the object. You don't dismiss science by going on a chat show and saying that paper is BS.

‘Oumuamua (1I/2017 U1) is the first object of interstellar origin observed in the Solar System. Recently,
    Micheli et al. (2018) reported that ‘Oumuamua showed deviations from a Keplerian orbit at a high statistical
    significance. The observed trajectory is best explained by an excess radial acceleration ∆a ∝ r−2, where r is the distance of ‘Oumuamua from the Sun. Such an acceleration is naturally expected for comets, driven by the
    evaporating material. However, recent observational and theoretical studies imply that ‘Oumuamua is not an active comet. We explore the possibility that the excess acceleration results from Solar radiation pressure. The
    required mass-to-area ratio is (m/A) ≈ 0.1 g cm−2
    . For a thin sheet this requires a thickness of ≈ 0.3−0.9 mm.
    We find that although extremely thin, such an object would survive an interstellar travel over Galactic distances of ∼ 5 kpc, withstanding collisions with gas and dust-grains as well as stresses from rotation and tidal forces.
    We discuss the possible origins of such an object. Our general results apply to any light probes designed for
    interstellar travel.

Yep.

There's a lot of Russian billionaire Yuri Milner's money available - hundreds of millions - for anyone who'll run with this alien space invader theory and who'll 'research' and give credence to same.

Back to the conspiracies C.

I don't think that Russian billionaires are using money to dictate what science Harvard engages in.

You remind me of a guy I met while working in the US. A colleague of ours would be a proponent of the existence of bigfoot. Another colleague would completely take the p1ss out of him and admonish him for such as belief. Until someone brought up the twin towers at which point he put on the tin foil hat and went straight into it was a CIA operation, Kennedy assassination ect ect.

You're not a sceptic C, your a conspiracy theorist that doesn't seem to like one type of conspiracy.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Back to the conspiracies C.

I don't think that Russian billionaires are using money to dictate what science Harvard engages in.

You remind me of a guy I met while working in the US. A colleague of ours would be a proponent of the existence of bigfoot. Another colleague would completely take the p1ss out of him and admonish him for such as belief. Until someone brought up the twin towers at which point he put on the tin foil hat and went straight into it was a CIA operation, Kennedy assassination ect ect.

You're not a sceptic C, your a conspiracy theorist that doesn't seem to like one type of conspiracy.

Less of the ad hominem attacks, please.

I haven't passed comment on you personally, nor do I intend to.

An apology would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »
    Word is out that a clear photo of a triangular shaped vehicle emerging from the ocean will be released in the next few days. This was talked about a lot several months ago and is well known of in the intelligence community. Hopefully not another Batman balloon.

That object that looked like a balloon was meant to be cubed wasn't it?

This is what DeLonge is putting out there these days, really shows the quality control going on for the group that's supposedly at the forefront of disclosure.
    https://twitter.com/tomdelonge/status/1366078633312313353

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow, it's a hologram Jim, but not as we know it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow, it's a hologram Jim, but not as we know it! :)
    Do you realise you've posted on this thread over 100 times in just over a fortnight?
    Tap the brakes like.

Do you realise you've posted on this thread over 100 times in just over a fortnight?
    Tap the brakes like.

What's it to you, did I break any rules?

What's it to you, did I break any rules?
    No, not at all, carry on.

I'm off for a shave.

10011394?id=-Klmv1&fmt=jpg&fit=constrain,1&wid=504&hei=548
    :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod: Everyone, less of the sniping and of the backseat modding, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

About this time last year I saw a sheep floating about 2 feet off the ground and then there was an incredibly loud 'hiss', kinda like a steam engine,and it dropped. Was at night when I was checking them during lambing and it was Fcuking freaky.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

JJayoo wrote: »
    About this time last year I saw a sheep floating about 2 feet off the ground and then there was an incredibly loud 'hiss', kinda like a steam engine,and it dropped. Was at night when I was checking them during lambing and it was Fcuking freaky.

This might be a better place for your post, would you like me to move it?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056831498&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

New Home wrote: »
    This might be a better place for your post, would you like me to move it?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056831498&page=1

Na I was just making stuff up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Back to the topic....

Do you believe in UFOs? Simple logical answer is yes. But not the crafts of different worlds. Nearly 99% of the flying objects I see I cannot identify, I assume they are planes, they look like planes, they move like a plane....

Do you believe in flying saucers? Simple logical answer is No. Consider all the data out there, and not just the nut case stuff. Look at it from a scientific point of view, the very suggestion that an alien civilization that has mastered space travel, set off to Planet earth, and then just plays hide and seek in the sky is an affront to the very life forms that made it here.. Common sense has to prevail.

Of course there is other life in the Universe, that's a given. But they, or nobody else has ever visited the Earth.

So where is everybody?? Quite simple answer to a difficult question would be; If you were to row out into the middle of the Indian Ocean, remove a teaspoon from your pocket, scoop out a spoon of water and examine it..... You will see no visible signs of life - Therefore, the conclusion must be, that there are no other life forms in the Indian Ocean.

The spoon full of water is all we know about the Universe at the moment..... The size of the Indian Ocean (Space) is beyond our comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I don't know if it's been posted already but this is an interesting one: The Aguadilla UFO.

Here is the analysis compiled by senior scientists ( two at least with military background). Conclusions begin on pg 42. It's not a bird though.

https://www.scribd.com/document/494200391/2013-Aguadilla-Puerto-Rico-Detailed-Analysis-of-UFO-Incident

• Advertisement

I think what convinces me most that something more fantastical is going on is the failure of people to put forward rational explanations for the things encountered during the Nimitz encounter ect.

There's a huge mystery that hasn't been explained by scientists, the military and even trained pilots. Saying it's unexplained so it's definitely aliens is wrong, although that's certainly a distinct possibility that this is an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

debunk what? what do you think it was?

It's a classic but often explained as internal lens refraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

UFO week on Blaze. Starts tomorrow night at 9.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/blogs/blaze-ufo-week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

flanna01 wrote: »
    Back to the topic....

Do you believe in UFOs? Simple logical answer is yes. But not the crafts of different worlds. Nearly 99% of the flying objects I see I cannot identify, I assume they are planes, they look like planes, they move like a plane....

Do you believe in flying saucers? Simple logical answer is No. Consider all the data out there, and not just the nut case stuff. Look at it from a scientific point of view, the very suggestion that an alien civilization that has mastered space travel, set off to Planet earth, and then just plays hide and seek in the sky is an affront to the very life forms that made it here.. Common sense has to prevail.

Of course there is other life in the Universe, that's a given. But they, or nobody else has ever visited the Earth.

So where is everybody?? Quite simple answer to a difficult question would be; If you were to row out into the middle of the Indian Ocean, remove a teaspoon from your pocket, scoop out a spoon of water and examine it..... You will see no visible signs of life - Therefore, the conclusion must be, that there are no other life forms in the Indian Ocean.

The spoon full of water is all we know about the Universe at the moment..... The size of the Indian Ocean (Space) is beyond our comprehension.

It's more like the Mediterranean sea though. We are in the Milky way, itaelf having billions of planets.
    100,000 light years across, you could cross it at .1 speed of light in 1 million years. . Most efficient way to explore it would be using vonneumann self replicating intelligent robots.
    It's well within the boundsof possibilities we have been visited and even that we are currently being observed. The milky way is about 12 or 13 billions old and the sun and the earth have existed for billions of years already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

UFO week on Blaze. Starts tomorrow night at 9.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/blogs/blaze-ufo-week

Glen Beck’s channel, the bigs boys are on the case!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This upcoming report should be interesting:

UFO report details ‘difficult to explain’ sightings, says US ex-intelligence director
    US military pilots and satellites have recorded ‘a lot more’ UFO sightings than have been made public, John Ratcliffe says

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/22/us-government-ufo-report-sightings

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

It sure is an exciting time to be alive... This incoming report will offer a fascinating insight into what the Pentagon knows... I'm excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    It sure is an exciting time to be alive... This incoming report will offer a fascinating insight into what the Pentagon knows... I'm excited.

Not necessarily... There will be a list of unknown or unexplained ariel phenomenon that was not clearly identified to satisfaction.

Ball Lightening is one such misunderstood phenomenon, as is clandestine military testing of airbourne prototype aircraft.

Like the Chinese or Russians are not trying to dip their toes in their adversaries air space...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Yes I believe, I've seen some weird things in the skies well before drones existed.

Go on YouTube and search for "Charles Hall tall whites".. Very interesting stuff.

Advertisement