Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    That assumes they don't already know we are here.

The Summerians, who are known for having extremely accurate knowledge of astronomy in their ancient scriptures (they knew of the existence of each planet in our solar system and mapped them 6000 years ago) believed we were seeded by the Annunaki, a race of extra terrestrial visitors who came from the skies.

https://u.osu.edu/vanzandt/2019/03/01/zecharia-sitchin-and-our-alien-anecestors/comment-page-1/

Could be elements of truth, plus 300.000 year old gold mines in South Africa (proven) Scientifically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

That assumes they don't already know we are here.

The Summerians, who are known for having extremely accurate knowledge of astronomy in their ancient scriptures (they knew of the existence of each planet in our solar system and mapped them 6000 years ago) believed we were seeded by the Annunaki, a race of extra terrestrial visitors who came from the skies.

https://u.osu.edu/vanzandt/2019/03/01/zecharia-sitchin-and-our-alien-anecestors/comment-page-1/

Now we are into Ancient Aliens territory. Anything goes. Maybe throw in some Nephilim while you're at it.

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/damn-those-lying-ancient-texts

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Now we are into Ancient Aliens territory. Anything goes. Maybe throw in some Nephilim while you're at it.

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/damn-those-lying-ancient-texts

And the Tuatha de danann

And the Tuatha de danann

Definitely, and the Peoples Front of Judea.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    No.
    The Judean Peoples' Front.
    :mad:

• Advertisement

Splitter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm with this guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Stephen Hawking was once asked his views on what was likely to happen if we encountered alien life. He referred to examples in nature where there’s usually a single dominant species and following that logic suggests a more advanced technological species with the capability of interstellar travel would likely conquer humanity to exploit the Earth’s resources.

Hawking suggested we’d be better served not trying to draw attention to ourselves !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wedwood wrote: »
    ...logic suggests a more advanced technological species with the capability of interstellar travel would likely conquer humanity to exploit the Earth’s resources.

But what “resources”? There is nothing here that can’t be found, in abundance, floating around in space.

They’re hardly going to need human blood, or fossil fuels, to power their “hyper drives”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Playstation 5

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

Steve012 wrote: »
    We have No Idea what reality is tho.

How different is an insects reality different to a dogs? which one is conscious?

How about humans, how different is the reality of a native American tribes man, to a young London banker?!?

A young London banker has great potential in the real world, he's working hard and is an achiever.

A native American tribesman, sure is well able to track hunt and has great stories and wisdom.
    But unlike the London banker he'll never have a full time job, helping the economy and building businesses and giving people financial security and assistance.
    At the end of his working life he'll be able to retire from his well earned honest work, and go fishing, hiking and holiday anywhere he likes.
    He'll be wealthy and successful and that's what life is all about, working hard for wealthy cooperation's and keeping the financial cogs spinning.
    We should all be like that London banker you mentioned.

As for insects and dog's, they're pets and in some cases pests.
    The insects are preprogrammed by their DNA and are part of biodiversity.
    Dogs are obviously more clever and cute.
    Bringing joy, entertainment ie greyhound racing, love and guardian ship to people all over the world.

As for UFOs we need scientific proof of their existence, I know you have an interest in the possibility of UFO's but unfortunately we have no proper evidence, until then the jury is out.

If we had an encounter I think an advanced peaceful race who'll be like Dr Spock would be great.
    But imagine an insect like plague of killer's swarming in on top of us, now that would be scary.
    Or using us as biofuel for their own interests.

It's a scary thought.

If we sort out our own injustices and bring peace to earth that would be a good start, and develop a weapon that would protect us all from an invasion, rather than development of weapons to use to wipe each other off the planet.
    Then we could go looking for other civilisations.

It's an intriguing subject UFOS

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

But what “resources”? There is nothing here that can’t be found, in abundance, floating around in space.

They’re hardly going to need human blood, or fossil fuels, to power their “hyper drives”.

Well, it might be as simple as colonisation of the planet at our expense !!

Anyway, the way our species is destroying the environment, maybe the aliens will see invading as the only way to save the planet !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

COVID wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Playstation 5

If they get one before I do there'll be trouble.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

iagreebut wrote: »
    Spirituality and pseudoscience is wrong,it's all just new age stuff.

There's no point in trying to tell a scientist that there's a spiritual realm or that there's anything outside of our senses.
    I know you mean well, but there's no way that spiritual concepts and UFOs are similar.

I should know, intelligent people have smashed that illusion of dilusional thinking from me.
    Science is the only way forward for me that is.

All the rest I'm told isn't reality.

funnily enough, my brother was (now retired) a research scientist looking at the brain and learning difficulties. I asked him about consciousness and our understanding of it and he tells me that science to this day still discusses and argues over what consciousness is. He was, in fact, involved in a meeting of many scientists on the subject at Cambridge and said that after a full days tooing and fro-ing, they were no nearer an answer. he said it was a really interesting conversation but theres no definitive answer as yet.

If that applies to something we all know exists (as we all have one), then you cant dismiss ideas like spirituality, the soul etc etc.

If science is the only way forward to you then you should start to think like a scientist and be able to discuss and learn. Science NEVER makes its mind up as we are always learning new things about ourselves and the environment - so as a follower of science, you shouldnt have made your mind up so easily.

Maybe you just misunderstand what science is all about? You wouldnt be the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Too much is being read into flying saucers..

I wonder, do most people appreciate the mind boggling distances involved for a Captain Kirk wannabe needs, to visit the lawn of the Whitehouse?

Interstellar Space is so vast it cannot be measured in miles, shillings or pence...

The best method we have at the moment is light years - Which as it says on the tin, is how far light can travel in a year,

Let me clear that statement up a bit... Light travels at around 86,000 miles PER SECOND!! that's 5,160,000 miles PER MINUTE!

So, the latest science update, is the nearest Earth like Planet is around 12 Light Years away... That's G'Zillions and G'Zillions on miles away, so far in fact, that our brains cannot really fathom the distance involved.

So, based on the above... Will young Johnny Stardust from the planet Blob, really undertake such a journey to see what all the noise is about on planet Earth..???

Would you jump in your car in Cork and drive to Belfast to see an ant hill from 10 feet away, and then turn around and speed off home again...??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah but..deflect, deflect..science an all...don't close your mind...there has to be something out there...saw a strange-looking object in the sky when I was seven years old, stuck with me ever since. etc

Remember :Science NEVER makes its mind up, so the earth might well be flat, and 2+2 might equal 9 at some time in the future *cough*..who knows, maybe the sun revolves around the Earth 'cause

....Science NEVER makes its mind up

I knew a pilot (and they never fib)....

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Who has a closed mind??

I have absolutely no doubt there is other life out there in the vastness of Space..

I'd go as far as to speculate that there is microbial infested slime on most planets orbiting a Star.

Intelligent life (as we define it), maybe a different pot of tea all together??

Look at the dominant races in history... The Aztec's, The Egyptians, The Roman Empire, to name but a few, what have they all got in common?? They all died out, no matter how big or how advanced they were.

Mankind is destined to become extinct. Maybe it's a well trodden path throughout the Universe? There have been 5 mass extinctions already that we know about on this Planet, is it practical to expect to keep dodging the bullets??

The Universe has been around for over 13 billion years that we know of ..... (Like, what was there before then is anybody's guess??) Nobody has left any signal that we can locate, or sent a message to say we are not alone.... Why not???

• Registered Users Posts: 35,766 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great footage.

Clear as crystal and 100% proof that flying saucers exist.

Plus, as a fluent Portuguese speaker, I can tell you now the commentator is announcing the end of the world as we know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

100% proof that people are good at video editing, there's plenty of software out there that can manipulate that footage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The craft that appeared on one of the maiden flights of the Concorde was for all intents and purposes a 'Tic Tac' ufo.

Gives an idea of the thing David Fravor saw.

For any of the sceptics, go ahead and debunk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The craft that appeared on one of the maiden flights of the Concorde was for all intents and purposes a 'Tic Tac' ufo.

Gives an idea of the thing David Fravor saw.

For any of the sceptics, go ahead and debunk it.

debunk what? what do you think it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Fuzzyduzzy

Word is out that a clear photo of a triangular shaped vehicle emerging from the ocean will be released in the next few days. This was talked about a lot several months ago and is well known of in the intelligence community. Hopefully not another Batman balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Psychlops

flanna01 wrote: »

I wonder, do most people appreciate the mind boggling distances involved for a Captain Kirk wannabe needs, to visit the lawn of the Whitehouse?

Interstellar Space is so vast it cannot be measured in miles, shillings or pence...

The best method we have at the moment is light years - Which as it says on the tin, is how far light can travel in a year,

Let me clear that statement up a bit... Light travels at around 86,000 miles PER SECOND!! that's 5,160,000 miles PER MINUTE!

So, the latest science update, is the nearest Earth like Planet is around 12 Light Years away... That's G'Zillions and G'Zillions on miles away, so far in fact, that our brains cannot really fathom the distance involved.

So, based on the above... Will young Johnny Stardust from the planet Blob, really undertake such a journey to see what all the noise is about on planet Earth..???

Would you jump in your car in Cork and drive to Belfast to see an ant hill from 10 feet away, and then turn around and speed off home again...??

AHHHH I see your problem there buddy, you are judging light years as how we Humans know it, Light years to another Lifeform in the Galaxy could be as short as a trip to the shops.

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »
    Word is out that a clear photo of a triangular shaped vehicle emerging from the ocean will be released in the next few days. This was talked about a lot several months ago and is well known of in the intelligence community. Hopefully not another Batman balloon.

I believe it's part of a promotional campaign for Toblerone.

It's basically a small submarine draped in Toblerone livery, in the traditional triangular shape of the iconic Swiss chocolate confectionery item.

It was co-sponsored by Saudi Arabia and George Soros.

Psychlops wrote: »
    AHHHH I see your problem there buddy, you are judging light years as how we Humans know it, Light years to another Lifeform in the Galaxy could be as short as a trip to the shops.

I see what you did there.

You're using the chummy lingua franca of the streets in a humble attempt to disguise your more than obvious academic and scientific prowess in the complex study of intergalactic travel.

Nice one, dude.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm bringing a towel, just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

flanna01 wrote: »

Thanks for the data on interstellar distances. I don't think you'll find many that don't know that planets capable of supporting life are far away.

One of the proponents of the theory that we've been visited by alien life is Avi Loeb. He's the former chair of the Harvard department of astronomy.

You think his theory falls flat because he forgot other planets are far away?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fuzzyduzzy wrote: »

Any source ?

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Thanks for the data on interstellar distances. I don't think you'll find many that don't know that planets capable of supporting life are far away.

One of the proponents of the theory that we've been visited by alien life is Avi Loeb. He's the former chair of the Harvard department of astronomy.

You think his theory falls flat because he forgot other planets are far away?

You mean this guy Avi Loeb and his sponsor/benefactor, Russian billionaire Yuri Milner?

Here's what some are saying about Abe Loeb and his 'theory that we've been visited by alien life':

"'Oumuamua' is not an alien spaceship, and the authors of the paper insult honest scientific inquiry to even suggest it," tweeted Paul M. Sutter, an astrophysicist at Ohio State University, shortly after the paper published.

North Carolina State University astrophysicist Katie Mack suggested to the Verge that Loeb was engaging in a common practice in which an astrophysicist poses a theory that they might not believe. “Sometimes you write a paper about something that you don’t believe to be true at all, just for the purpose of putting out there,” she told the publication.

“A shocking example of sensationalist, ill-motivated science,” theoretical astrophysicist Ethan Siegel wrote in Forbes.

Advertisement