Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forgotten Irish movies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I think Zonad is a very underrated movie. I found it very funny anyway.

Had you a lot of alcohol or drugs onboard when you watched it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Had you a lot of alcohol or drugs onboard when you watched it?

It was a few years ago and I watched it having not heard of it before. But I will need to watch it again as everyone else says it’s crap. It’s seems a difficult movie to find tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Broken Harvest was made by Maurice O'Callaghan, written by his sister I think. Made in West Cork a few miles from Beal na Blath. A lot of locals had bit parts.

A brother of theirs was a presenter on Today tonight RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

What was that one with Gabriel Byrne? It was very good.

It was a few years ago and I watched it having not heard of it before. But I will need to watch it again as everyone else says it’s crap. It’s seems a difficult movie to find tho.

I have one that I'll be happy to sell you.

• Advertisement

Eat the peach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Disco Pigs 2001 starring Cillian Murphy Elaine Cassidy Eileen Walsh.

Broken Harvest 1994 . Youngsters in 50s rural Ireland reopen a feud going back to the Irish civil war.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley.2006 Cilllian Murphy Liam Cunningham. 2 brothers end up on opposite sides during the Irish civil war.

I loved Broken Harvest. Very sad, with music by Patrick Cassidy. Would like to see it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I think Zonad is a very underrated movie. I found it very funny anyway.

I read a rave review of it in the Sunday Times magazine. Sat down to watch it when it shown on either RTE or TV3. I thought it was absolute scutter. Different strokes and all that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What was that one with Gabriel Byrne? It was very good.

'The Courier'? Described on the DVD cover as 'brutal' in an Irish review. I think that was lost in translation along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

spurious wrote: »
    'The Courier'? Described on the DVD cover as 'brutal' in an Irish review. I think that was lost in translation along the way.

Yes thats the one. Brilliant film.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Ballymun has been used often as well

Ballymun doubled for the Bogside in Paul Greengrass' Bloody Sunday released in 2002 before the last of the towers were demolished. Jimmy McGovern's superior TV movie version Sunday was filmed in the real Bogside with a British flat complex I think doubling for the now demolished Rossville Flats.
    Simon Mann is excellent in Greengrass' version as Colonel Wilford the villainous commanding officer of the parachute unit involved in the massacre because he was an ex SAS commando. Not long after the movie was released he was roped into a plot straight out of a Frederick Forsyth thriller to overthrow a dictatorship in West Africa and did a long stint in a 3rd World hellhole prison.
    Christopher Eccleston is miscast as General Ford in Sunday (he is far too young) who is the main villain whereas he is a minor character played by the late veteran actor Tim Piggot Smith in Greengrass' movie.
    In Greengrass' movie the troops are sympathetic anonymous men as confused and as scared as the demonstrators while in McGovern's movie Lance Corporal F and his men are callous trigger happy kids drunk on being given a licence to kill which is closer to the facts ascertained in Bloody Sunday Tribunal

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just saw an ad on Virgin Media, they are running a season of Irish films, some of the films mentioned on this thread might pop up :)

Tonight's film is Black '47 followed by short film Starry Night.
    Next week's Friday night film will be Cardboard Gangsters followed by shorts Looking On & Innocent Boy.

Jimmy's Hall, directed by Ken Loach, will air Sunday 28th February.
    During next week there will be showings of Watermelon, The Playboys and Circle of Friends.

https://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/2021/02/24/virgin-media-televisions-season-of-irish-film-announced/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

When Brendan met Trudy was a film I enjoyed when I watched it many years ago. Great sex scene in it!!
    A more recent film I thought was a bit of fun was Traders, starring Killian Scott, the chubby fella from GOT and Nika McGuigan (rip). These 3 were all really good in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Eamon - about a kid at an Irish beach. The director never made another feature even though she was part of a scheme to kickstart her directing career.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Sinful Davey. Filmed in Ireland about a Scottish Rogue.

'Guns in the Heather' starring Kurt Russell. Based in Co Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

saabsaab wrote: »
    'Guns in the Heather' starring Kurt Russell. Based in Co Clare.

Escape from Doonbeg

Yurt! wrote: »
    Escape from Doonbeg

Trumps the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The Wind That Shakes The Barley.2006 Cilllian Murphy Liam Cunningham. 2 brothers end up on opposite sides during the Irish civil war.

Jesus, someone will be saying 'Michael Collins' next.
    Ballymun doubled for the Bogside in Paul Greengrass' Bloody Sunday released in 2002 before the last of the towers were demolished. Jimmy McGovern's superior TV movie version Sunday was filmed in the real Bogside with a British flat complex I think doubling for the now demolished Rossville Flats.

I also think 'Sunday' was much better. The Greengrass film seems to get all of the plaudits and to be on television much more often, which is a pity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

The Treaty is a forgotten film starring Brendan Gleeson as Michael Collins and Barry McGovern as De Valera which is vastly superior to the Neil Jordan travesty which wasted the talents of Liam Neeson and Alan Rickman and played fast and loose with history. Ian Bannen reprises the role of David Lloyd George who he played in another acclaimed biopic tv series.

Rebel Heart was a nice mini series starring James Darcy set between 1916 and 1922. He plays a young medical student who fights in the Easter Rising the Irish War of Independence and Irish Civil War. Brendan Coyle is excellent as Michael Collins who takes him under his wing.
    Loosely based on the careers of IRA commanders such as Ernie O'Malley and James Ryan it is great stuff. Much better than the more recent Rebellion and it's follow up Revolution starring Brian Gleeson in a very similar role who shines despite a weak script and poor production values.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Violent enemy about the IRA blowing up power stations. Made just before the troubles started.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Violent enemy about the IRA blowing up power stations. Made just before the troubles started.

A very poor movie despite having a quality cast including Ed Begley, Tom Bell and Susan Hampshire.

The Book That Wrote Itself. Havent seen it but apparently a big chunk of it is comprised of footage of the director conducting guerrilla interviews with Hollywood stars like George Clooney etc who he stalked at the Venice film festival then he billed them as "starring" in his ultra low budget movie, a bit like the plot of Bowfinger.

The Vein Within. Awful rubbish. The director is a well known spoofer in the Mark Mahon (Strength And Honour) mould. He convinced a few media outlets that this had been accepted for the Cannes Film Festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

vriesmays wrote: »

As an interesting aside, my brother was in the FCA, (the old auxilary army section) and was deployed in the early 1970s to guard the local hydro dam for that reason.

A friend was in this but his scene was cut. Took ages to come out as it was shot in 2008.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2074345/

Water John wrote: »
    As an interesting aside, my brother was in the FCA, (the old auxilary army section) and was deployed in the early 1970s to guard the local hydro dam for that reason.

Roundwood Reservoir in County Wicklow was one of many locations that had a military presence during the 1970s - of course they are too busy these days on peacekeeping overseas to look after home security. :rolleyes:

A friend was in this but his scene was cut. Took ages to come out as it was shot in 2008.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2074345/

Trailer looks woeful but thanks for the heads-up and I've just added: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/c/ :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Trailer looks woeful but thanks for the heads-up and I've just added: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/c/ :)

Another one I was thinking about for ages but that IMDB seemed to think was mostly a UK film but that made it on your list (so, I wasn't imagining it!), was "The Sun, the Moon and the Stars". I only saw it once on the telly, many years ago, some "screenshots" are burnt into my head, others I think I remember but I don't know whether they were there or not. Was there a circus in it?

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Another one I was thinking about for ages but that IMDB seemed to think was mostly a UK film but that made it on your list (so, I wasn't imagining it!), was "The Sun, the Moon and the Stars". I only saw it once on the telly, many years ago, some "screenshots" are burnt into my head, others I think I remember but I don't know whether they were there or not. Was there a circus in it?

I've only ever seen snatches of it on Vimeo and not recently. I did a quick search this evening and there's no trace of it anywhere.

Here's 12 minutes of it: https://vimeo.com/44736246

Advertisement