Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaa Congress 2021

• 27-02-2021 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭

So this is taking place today.

A lot of motions have been passed which make substantial changes to the game.

Some of the Motions adopted so far:
    Penalty for cynically dragging a player down inside the 20 metre arc (applies to both codes).
    In hurling this will also result in a sin bin.

A restriction in Senior and Intermediate Championships to a maximum of 16 clubs at a grade.
    I've no idea how this applies to counties with Senior A, Senior B etc, whether they can have 16 in each or just in total.

"Split Season" adopted. This isn't what most people will think it is. It's adopting the Gaa Task Force's idea of a split season rather than what happened last year.
    Basically Inter-County League will be Feb-March, then Club league starts, Inter-County Championship will run May to end of July. Club Championship will run from August onwards.
    Many clubs will still come back training in January, so we'll be seeing club teams playing January to October/November for as long as this lasts.
    One of the Gaa Task Force's reasons for this is players would have nothing to do if the club season finished sooner.........I think they're a little out of touch there.

Other motions include making it a foul to wave arms/hurl during kickouts/free/puckouts and also a concussion sub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

Big Ears wrote: »

Penalty for cynically dragging a player down inside the 20 metre arc (applies to both codes).

A restriction in Senior and Intermediate Championships to a maximum of 16 clubs at a grade.
    I've no idea how this applies to counties with Senior A, Senior B etc, whether they can have 16 in each or just in total.

"Split Season" adopted. This isn't what most people will think it is. It's adopting the Gaa Task Force's idea of a split season rather than what happened last year.
    Basically Inter-County League will be Feb-March, then Club league starts, Inter-County Championship will run May to end of July. Club Championship will run from August onwards.
    Many clubs will still come back training in January, so we'll be seeing club teams playing January to October/November for as long as this lasts.
    One of the Gaa Task Force's reasons for this is players would have nothing to do if the club season finished sooner.........I think they're a little out of touch there.

Other motions include making it a foul to wave arms/hurl during kickouts/free/puckouts and also a concussion sub.

Nothing too major came out of congress. It'll be interesting to see if the sin bin is effective. Comments from the financial director in relation to limiting costs, panels and training sessions for inter county squads is to be welcomed. The main thing is we move on from the previous president and we welcome Larry McCarthy on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I’ve been busy all day. How did John Connellans motion go? Thank you to John Horan, great presidency, welcome Larry, looking forward to you good leadership.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I’ve been busy all day. How did John Connellans motion go? Thank you to John Horan, great presidency, welcome Larry, looking forward to you good leadership.

Connellans is for 2022 he was saying on TGH the other day.

Connellans is for 2022 he was saying on TGH the other day.

Cheers, obviously wants to be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

May forever be associated with Mayo's Eoghan McLaughlin in the same way the black card is with Sean Cavanagh. The game saving slide at the end of the Connacht final was certainly the straw that broke the camel's back. Good addition to finally punish that cheating properly. Has been occurring more and more in hurling also

• Advertisement

Fouling isn’t cheating. There just wasn’t an appropriate punishment for such fouls before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Is the split-season just for this year or on trial for a couple of seasons? Horrible idea; inter-county is the big league, keeps people occupied and interested all summer long. For all the kerfuffle about pandering to the club players, nobody bar the diehard supporters go to many of the games. Why do they have to go and break something that was working very well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

MfMan wrote: »
    Is the split-season just for this year or on trial for a couple of seasons? Horrible idea; inter-county is the big league, keeps people occupied and interested all summer long. For all the kerfuffle about pandering to the club players, nobody bar the diehard supporters go to many of the games. Why do they have to go and break something that was working very well?

A split season shouldnt be needed but you cant really believe the current set up of how season is structured is working very well.
    And saying things like nobody bar diehards attend many club games is completely false.

I like that they’re still going with what the association is really about and that it isn’t all about the sunshiners in Croke Park. The club is a massive thing in the whole make up of the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

A split season shouldnt be needed but you cant really believe the current set up of how season is structured is working very well.
    And saying things like nobody bar diehards attend many club games is completely false.

It's completely true. My own club, (separate for hurling and football), you could name the people you're going to meet at the round-robin championship matches every day. It's only the later knockout stages that attract any kind of crowds. One of the great attractions of inter-county is that it stretches out before you for the entire summer, and thus shortens the long run into winter. For a good 8 months of the year, from the end of July, there's now going to be a desert for the GAA, giving other sports a golden opportunity to step in and nick players and the spotlight from the gaelic games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It's completely true. My own club, (separate for hurling and football), you could name the people you're going to meet at the round-robin championship matches every day. It's only the later knockout stages that attract any kind of crowds. One of the great attractions of inter-county is that it stretches out before you for the entire summer, and thus shortens the long run into winter. For a good 8 months of the year, from the end of July, there's now going to be a desert for the GAA, giving other sports a golden opportunity to step in and nick players and the spotlight from the gaelic games.

Numbers attending club games dont back that up. What are you defining as any kind of crowd anyway?
    That inter county is as long as it is and holding all club championships up as a result is putting the needs of 1% above the 99% which isnt right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

John Horan has been a terrible president

Not one person i know in the GAA has a positive word to say about him

John Horan has been a terrible president

Not one person i know in the GAA has a positive word to say about him

Your opinion. I think he has been excellent. So do people I have spoken to. I’m not getting into a debate. I was merely thanking him on his last day and welcoming our new president.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I agree with the split season but I would like the inter county to be just a little bit longer it'll be sad to have it all wrapped up by July. The club game is great but following your club doesn't have that same mad energy of seeing the games debates all over TV, radio, loads of pages on all the papers and down every pub

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Nick players from where? :confused: The club championships will be in full swing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I find it strange that people think this is some sort of big change.
    What they've done is brought forward the All-Ireland finals a month by starting Championship slightly sooner.

They've then hijacked the term "Split Season" and adopted it for the change they've made so that people will all initially be for it.
    Break it down and how is it a split season at all ?, it's similar to what has been going on for the last few years.

Last year was a split season because the club's finished their Championships first (well some Counties did anyway) and Inter-County started after.

From now on Inter-County starts, then Club, then Inter-County, then club with their likely be a little bit of both in between despite the Gaa's best intentions. Where's the split ?

From a media perspective, increased interest in the club game, including build up shoes can fill the void of Inter-County action later in the year.

The real negative is after a couple of year of running 10 month long seasons back to back, club players will become frustrated and many will go away from the game, only then will we see a backlash against this.

Your opinion. I think he has been excellent. So do people I have spoken to. I’m not getting into a debate. I was merely thanking him on his last day and welcoming our new president.

Ok.
    Dublin centric and forcing a B competition onto counties

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

I think it's good they are putting something in place, but tend to agree that end of July is too early for AI finals. Maybe if it was down to last 4 at that stage, majority of counties should be getting through their club championships. Personally I would have semi-finals first week of August and finals start of September.

I think part of the issue is that August may be considered traditional holiday time for many people so not always a lot of club action that month, at least in my County.

Ok.
    Dublin centric and forcing a B competition onto counties

Not really forced. If they perform then they won't have to play in it.

Can club championships start early if a team is knocked out by the end of May ?

• Advertisement

Not really forced. If they perform then they won't have to play in it.

That's fine coming from Division 1 counties

And 2. And 3 or 4 that get to a provincial final. Or they could just get themselves promoted.

Nobody has to play in the B for long if they don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Can club championships start early if a team is knocked out by the end of May ?

Yeah, it will be same as always. When your county is out of the AIC, club championship will start probably 2 or 3 weeks later to give the county lads a little break and some time training with the club.

As long as the players but into it I am happy to support the new cup.

Much rather see Limerick win the div 2 cup than the inevitable back door loss

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Big Ears

As long as the players but into it I am happy to support the new cup.

Much rather see Limerick win the div 2 cup than the inevitable back door loss

The biggest factor imo will be how the media treat it.
    I spoke to a couple of Offaly football players who were dead against it and cited how the hurling competitions below the Liam McCarthy are treated.

If it's given proper respect and coverage that could be a different story.

I spoke to a couple of Offaly football players who were dead against it and cited how the hurling competitions below the Liam McCarthy are treated.

Different sport. The hurling below Liam is treated way way better than it was before the new cups. Despite what the crybabies say those cups have been a huge success for counties most people didnt even know had hurling teams before

Different sport. The hurling below Liam is treated way way better than it was before the new cups. Despite what the crybabies say those cups have been a huge success for counties most people didnt even know had hurling teams before

Ok.
    But are you from one of those counties?
    Why were the Christy Ring finals etc moved from the semi finals of the McCarthy Cup?

The joint captains thing is one of the stupidest things they’ve done in years. Who was bothered enough by that to bring it to congress?

Ok.
    But are you from one of those counties?
    Why were the Christy Ring finals etc moved from the semi finals of the McCarthy Cup?

When should the Christy Ring finals be ?

How was it better before the new cups ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

So the Offaly footballers you spoke to are only interested in playing if they get food coverage? Maybe that attitude might be contributing to them being a bit shìte.

Wonder are they making any demands for junior teams in Offaly county championship to be put into the senior championship?

Advertisement