Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales vs England

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I see no mention of “gathering”, “regathering” or “control” in any rule that I have read.
    I think this comes from discussions on tries being scored and whether there is a knock-on or not. And that discussion usually centres around control of the ball. So people associate control of the ball with knock-ons rather than tries. There is no mention of control of the ball in relation to knock-ons in the laws of the game that I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Law 11.2:
    "It is a knock-on when a player, in tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent,
    makes contact with the ball and the ball goes forward. Sanction: Scrum (if the
    ball goes into touch, the non-offending team may opt instead for a quick-throw
    or lineout).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    True but surely there must be an attempt to kick the ball in the current situation

If you can find the phrase "attempt to kick the ball" in the laws, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oops. Farrell didn't get the 3 points there. That 2nd Wales try might give him a knock in his confidence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Example? I've seen players knock the ball forward off the hand, catch it with their foot for a kick and it wasn't a knock on.

I've never seen that not called a knock on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

If you can find the phrase "attempt to kick the ball" in the laws, fair play.[/quot

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Why is hitting the leg the equivalent of hitting the ground? Surely that means every kick would be a knock on, no?

Kick is excluded because of intention.

Kick: An act made by intentionally hitting the ball with any part of the leg or foot,
    except the heel, from the toe to the knee but not including the knee. A kick must
    move the ball a visible distance out of the hand, or along the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭KH25

That’s great thinking to tap and go. Very well played.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Oh, that was cheeky

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I've never seen that not called a knock on.

I dont know what to tell you, I've seen it not called a knock on. I disagree, but I also want to watch this game, so I'm going to leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

So sloppy from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I think Wales are going to win the Grand Slam.. Excellent team

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I think Wales are going to win the Grand Slam.. Excellent team

You're half right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Daly switched off, head down not paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Eliot daly school boy error trotting into position not watching ball.

Kick: An act made by intentionally hitting the ball with any part of the leg or foot,
    except the heel, from the toe to the knee but not including the knee. A kick must

Well that's fair enough - pretty clear. I don't agree that was a knock on, though. Now let me watch the rest of the game.

The ball hitting below the knee and above the neck is not a knock on either. Doesn't have to be a kick. Jacob Stockdale scored a try in the 6N after the ball clipped his shin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Forget the tries, the ref allowing Wales’ 9 about 7 seconds at every ruck is awful

Well that's fair enough - pretty clear. I don't agree that was a knock on, though. Now let me watch the rest of the game.

You don't agree with the clearly defined laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I see no mention of “gathering”, “regathering” or “control” in any rule that I have read.

What are these 'rules' you speak of?
    We were always told that Rugby had laws, not rules, and as such were open to interpretation.

• Advertisement

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    What are these 'rules' you speak of?
    We were always told that Rugby had laws, not rules, and as such were open to interpretation.
    You made that bit up because 'laws' didn't you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

You're half right.

Ah come on now, Wales are so good you'd almost swear they've got 16 men out there in every game so far.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The ball hitting below the knee and above the neck is not a knock on either. Doesn't have to be a kick. Jacob Stockdale scored a try in the 6N after the ball clipped his shin.

I think you've interpreted that slightly wrong. Read as:

except the heel (i.e. from the toe to the knee, but not including the knee). A kick must
    move the ball a visible distance out of the hand, or along the ground.

You're interpretation of that sentence would also rule out the toe and entire foot.

You don't agree with the clearly defined laws?

No, I don't agree with the interpretation. Like the actual ref.

No, I don't agree with the interpretation. Like the actual ref.

Fair enough that you disagree with how it's interpreted as long as you also recognise that the decision is inherently incorrect. All g.

Per your wishes, we shall leaves this aside an attempt to enjoy the remaining 25 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did someone in the Welsh 8 just shout “hands in the ruck?” At that scrum.

I think you've interpreted that slightly wrong. Read as:

except the heel (i.e. from the toe to the knee, but not including the knee). A kick must
    move the ball a visible distance out of the hand, or along the ground.

You're interpretation of that sentence would also rule out the toe and entire foot.
    What???

I'm literally quoting the laws on knock-ons. Nothing to do with kicks. It's not a knock on if the ball strikes above the neck or below the knee. You can head the ball forward and clip it forward with any part of your leg below the knee. Including your toes.

And this is the definition of a knock on from World Rugby:
    Knock-on: When a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

England will eat us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ben Young's puts England back into the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

**** this

Pascal, get the red cards ready.

Advertisement