Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitsubishi Outlander 2022

• 23-02-2021 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Really digging the look of the new outlander

602d23b02edd0f001a8d6162?width=700&format=jpeg&auto=webp

2022-mitsubishi-outlander-101-1613499030.jpg

2022-Mitsubishi-Outlander-Interior-768x512.jpg

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Is it for sale here? Thought they had pulled out of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

hurikane wrote: »

Yeah they pulled out of Europe. Only option would be to import one from Japan. Based on the new Nissan Xtrail platform so parts wouldn’t be too much of an issue.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

Nice car in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Looks like a Citroen C5 Aircross and a Sassyong Koronda had an ugly love child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I just don’t get Mitsubishi styling, which means it’s either really bad or really good.
    I’m leaning towards really bad.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I just don’t get Mitsubishi styling, which means it’s either really bad or really good.
    I’m leaning towards really bad.

I really don't kind their styling in general, I like the ASX for Christ's sake. I think they're actually on the verge of making good cars now but at the cost of selling them in Europe as there's no money to be made here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Looks like a Citroen C5 Aircross and a Sassyong Koronda had an ugly love child

Both them cars and this new Mitsubishi Outlander are much better styled and classier than any dull as dishwasher VAG product.
    Such a pity that the new Outlander is not coming here. I hope a load of them are imported from Japan so we can have something cool and unique on our roads instead of all the VW Audi garbage.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Both them cars and this new Mitsubishi Outlander are much better styled and classier than any dull as dishwasher VAG product.
    Such a pity that the new Outlander is not coming here. I hope a load of them are imported from Japan so we can have something cool and unique on our roads instead of all the VW Audi garbage.

You really like the Eclipse Cross and the SsangYong Korrando as well though :D

Ms

You really like the Eclipse Cross and the SsangYong Korrando as well though :D

Ye the Eclipse Cross is a breath of fresh air and a great looker with a great interior just a pity they had no diesel and Hyprid version of it here and it might have done better.
    Believe it or not I actually prefer the Korrando the was out before the current model it had more style inside before it revamp and I will admit the dash in the current one is a bit strange but I still think it's a good car and the 1.6 diesel can tow 2 tonnes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,408 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nissan as 34% owners of Mitsubishi should sell a rebadged version of it in Europe, the phev version when that arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

Marmite. I don't like it

Oh I never said they weren't, if it was bland as fook I'd have said it was a VAG off spring. :p

Ye the Eclipse Cross is a breath of fresh air and a great looker with a great interior just a pity they had no diesel and Hyprid version of it here and it might have done better. .

It could run on water and people still wouldn’t buy it.

Ms

hurikane wrote: »

Some hope that they might stay yet,

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/mitsubishi-could-restart-european-sales-report-suggests

Really hope it happens.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Sounds like it'll be for LHD markets only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes I read something lately and thought it kind of lukewarm re their pull out. It was like as if they weren’t completely pulling the plug on Europe to the words of “at this time”. Mitsubishi was a great make once, they still have merit as a brand I feel with the Outlander, Phev and of course the L200 areas where they are still strong. The more choice we all have the better as far as I’m concerned

Ms

road_high wrote: »
    Yes I read something lately and thought it kind of lukewarm re their pull out. It was like as if they weren’t completely pulling the plug on Europe to the words of “at this time”. Mitsubishi was a great make once, they still have merit as a brand I feel with the Outlander, Phev and of course the L200 areas where they are still strong. The more choice we all have the better as far as I’m concerned

Yep the same here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I think the new outlander looks amazing. I would definitely buy it if I was in the market for a jeep. It's leaps and bounds ahead of its competitors imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Garbage? Have s day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Nissan as 34% owners of Mitsubishi should sell a rebadged version of it in Europe, the phev version when that arrives.

They'll be selling the ariya in Europe, they've decided mitsubishi will cover the Japan and Asian market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

They'll be selling the ariya in Europe, they've decided mitsubishi will cover the Japan and Asian market

Nissan only own 30% or so of Mitsubishi. It was Mitsubishi who called quits. I think they may reconsider though.

A simple customising tweak to the headlights makes it ever more striking

2022-mitsubishi-outlander-rendering-front.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭freddieot

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe in all black it would look oaky but I think this version looks terrible. It's a good design in general but I just can't accept that anyone could deliberately design the front to look like that.

I don’t think the people who designed the front had any involvement in the rest of it.

Ms

Garbage? Have s day off.

Ye ok I was been a bit harsh there. Not garbage just boring cars then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

That's a Nissan milk float on stilts, though isn't it?

Nissan aren't pulling out of Europe.

That's a Nissan milk float on stilts, though isn't it?

Nissan aren't pulling out of Europe.

The Ariya looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Will the 2022 Pathfinder from Nissan be available in Europe/Ireland?

As we predicted- Mitsubishi to stay in Europe
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/352852/mitsubishi-back-europe-new-renault-deal%3famp

Bit of a mess for their dealers- left hand drive only it spirals though

Have most of their dealers started selling MG now?

• Advertisement

In Ireland

Ms

My local Mitsubishi dealer used to just sell them then they started selling Kia's as well so a good move there and about a year ago or maybe it was 2 years they just rebranded as Kia only dealers.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Will we get the new Outlander then?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Will we get the new Outlander then?

They’re def pulling out of the uk anyway

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufacturer-news/2020/09/01/mitsubishi-gives-vehicle-stock-outlook-after-fleet-guarantee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Couldn't see them staying here unless they're doing a rappers job on it where they retire and come back a year later or less....

They'd want to be bringing some smashers to the table as they've been so bland and hardly anyone bought anything in their name.

Bet they regret the 8 year warranty now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I haven't really liked a Mitsubishi since the 90s Galant but I have to say I do like that new Outlander.

Mitsubishi used to make some really interesting cars; Galant VR4, pioneered GDI technology that's used in almost every petrol car these days (even though in Mitsubishis it was an absolute disaster), the Sigma V6, the Starion with trick four wheel steering, the Pajero, MIVEC, the FTO with the V6 that could rev to what was it 8000 rpm, and how could we not forget all the various Lancer Evos over the years, it always used to amuse me the way they were badged as FQ (you don't need to be a genius to figure out what it referred to). The Colt and Lancer were strong sellers back in the day, as was the (ironically named) Carisma and the Space Star and Space Wagon were also popular in their time (even though the Space Wagon was a horrible MPV to travel in). There was even the quirky Space Runner.

That was all so long ago and they've long since stopped selling anything interesting, though the Outlander did pioneer the plug-in concept in a family SUV I suppose.

I guess with Frank Keane now importing MGs and being on trend with electric SUVs (even if putting an MG badge on an electric SUV is a travesty given that marque's history of sports cars, but no matter), that business has probably moved on (literally and figuratively) from their association with Misubishis anyway.

What was wrong with the Mitsubishi GDI engines? They never seemed to take off and it was around that point in the late 90s Mitsubishi started to get into trouble. They genuinely had a good name in the late 80s/90s for quality and reliable technology. Of course people will argue they were not as good as Honda or Toyota but they were well up the resale and respected ranks

Normal engines have petrol coming in through the valves mixed with air, GDI engines have the petrol directly injected into the cylinder.
    So the petrol would clean off the carbon deposits in a normal MPI engine, but not on a GDI.

The GDI engine was 1.8 minimum as well, they were still selling SOHC 12 valve 1.3 engines as their entry level.

I think apart from the financial crisis in the 90s which really affected their ability to develop new models as well as they might, they just missed the mark, exactly as they’re doing today with half baked designs.

The petrol here at the time wasn't that good (there was no such thing as low sulphur fuel back in those days) which exacerbated the design flaw of direct injection petrols (the valves don't get 'washed' like they do in a traditional petrol engine - although some direct injection engines also used traditional port injection - such as V6 Toyota/Lexus engines), which also meant that the performance and mpg improvements that they were able to get in JDM cars never really materialised here. In Japan the same engine was rated at 140 bhp, here it was 123 bhp because of the higher RON rating in petrol over there.

Modern direct injection engines can still suffer from carbon build up but it's nowhere near as common as it used to be because things have rather moved on since this engine first saw the light of day 25 years ago plus we use low sulphur fuel nowadays. That said direct injection petrol engines never sound as nice as traditional engines, they produce more NOx than an otherwise identical port injected petrol and they also produce particulates like a diesel - whereas a traditional petrol produces no particulates whatsoever. What they do manage is to come a lot closer to a diesel for fuel consumption while still delivering significant improvements in both particulates and NOx.

• Advertisement

The direct injection Avensis 2.0 engine was noticeably louder than the 1.8 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tele2020

Any update on whether the new Outlander will be for sale in Ireland? For what I’ve seen, Mitsubishi will now remain in Europe, but not in the UK/Ireland markets?

Advertisement