Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 Season 2020-2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭PMC83

I read something on FB this morning about Eir and Virgin settling the issue, cant find anything online though. Would be nice to get eirsports back on the virgin packet

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭mike_cork

PMC83 wrote: »
    I read something on FB this morning about Eir and Virgin settling the issue, cant find anything online though. Would be nice to get eirsports back on the virgin packet

https://www.irishtimes.com/1.4489641

Nice, hopefully they sort it for the Rainbow cup, if that goes ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Doesn't say whether or not the channels will be restored though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I think we should all just take a minute to appreciate this!

No. Buer's reign of terror needs to be stopped.

• Advertisement

Doesn't say whether or not the channels will be restored though.

Fingers crossed they are

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

This has shambles written all over it. No way at all any South African rugby teams should be let come here until September.

Stick to pro12 full season and reassess in early July

https://twitter.com/DjRossouw87/status/1363472986431516678?s=19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    This has shambles written all over it. No way at all any South African rugby teams should be let come here until September.

Why should they not be allowed to travel North? If they quarantine when the arrive and then follow the usual regular testing regime I don't see an issue.

A 'full pro12 season' only adds 2 games plus the possibility of two play offs BTW, so isn't enough rugby to get you past April.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,060 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

id rather a novel rainbow cup this season than a second half of a COMPLETELY one sided pro 14 at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Was wondering what was going to happen with that alright. How would the nominally away venue work then for the SA teams, neutral venue or something?

Think with both this and Champions Cup will be whatever sort of format they can do just to complete the season at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The usual caveats about safety/quarantining aside, I hope the competition can happen as planned.

This year's league is the training run that its usual detractors say it is. The sooner it ends, the better.

Why should they not be allowed to travel North? If they quarantine when the arrive and then follow the usual regular testing regime I don't see an issue.

A 'full pro12 season' only adds 2 games plus the possibility of two play offs BTW, so isn't enough rugby to get you past April.

Well they will be moving around for starters.

Look at the England cricket team. Test match called off because a hotel staff member tested positive and two players then also tested positive. We just need to stop inviting trouble.

Well they will be moving around for starters.

Look at the England cricket team. Test match called off because a hotel staff member tested positive and two players then also tested positive. We just need to stop inviting trouble.
    The pro12 is a 4 nation competition with teams already moving around. If they're based in the UK, then the level of moving around will be no higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

https://twitter.com/DjRossouw87/status/1363472986431516678?s=19

Why not? If they are made to quarantine for 14 days and they are tested regularly then it shouldn't be a problem.

Plenty of people can still get here from SA, at least these guys will be monitored and easily traced.

Now I guess your understandable concern is around the SA variant, but once they are here and clear of that they will just be travelling around like the other teams in the comp. All the signs are that the vaccine is starting to take effect in the UK (and cutting transmission), that should happen in Ireland soon enough as well, and by April I think the situation could be a lot better, certainly by May.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If it goes ahead it might generate a bit of enthusiasm if they base the 4 SA teams in different countries, so e.g. Bulls train in Italy and play their "home" games there, etc. But I honestly can't see it going ahead at this stage, especially with the SA variant.

bilston wrote: »
    Why not? If they are made to quarantine for 14 days and they are tested regularly then it shouldn't be a problem.

Plenty of people can still get here from SA, at least these guys will be monitored and easily traced.

Now I guess your understandable concern is around the SA variant, but once they are here and clear of that they will just be travelling around like the other teams in the comp. All the signs are that the vaccine is starting to take effect in the UK (and cutting transmission), that should happen in Ireland soon enough as well, and by April I think the situation could be a lot better, certainly by May.

Have a look at the French squad.

Do we really think the SA franchises will spent 4/5/6 weeks literally sitting in their hotel rooms outside of training and playing after 2 weeks quarantine etc

We have done incredibly well to have the pro12 get so far with minimal fixture disruption.

I think it will be incredibly daft to push ahead with this TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

They should have had a proper complete season of Pro 12 fixtures with end of season playoffs as before and forget about this hair brained Rainbow Cup.

They should have had a proper complete season of Pro 12 fixtures with end of season playoffs as before and forget about this hair brained Rainbow Cup.

I don't see how the Rainbow Cup is hair brained compared to this league season to date. It's been a procession for the provinces. Munster, Leinster and Ulster are 9-0 against non-Irish opponents, while Connacht are 6-3. Overall that makes 33-3. It can't get much more uncompetitive than that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

Care to expand on that statement rather than just leaving it open ended and arbitrary?

Care to expand on that statement rather than just leaving it open ended and arbitrary?

To have just the top 2 teams qualify for a final makes the competition a procession up to the final. Leinster will no doubt win one conference and Munster probably the other. Many matches seem pretty meaningless. What do clubs have to play for if they can't top their conference? Rainbow Cup is simply whistling in the dark with Covid pandemic.

• Advertisement

What do clubs have to play for if they can't top their conference?

European qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

European qualification.

Well that's pretty much over in both conference even completing a full-season . 9 games left would mean Cardiff have to win 6 and Connacht 3, at worst case.
    Quite unlikely.

Triggering to only Cardiff and Scarlets fighting for 3rd, and on a lesser extent Glasgow and Dragons for 4th place European play-off away, really playing with smth at stake

For meaningful games, start fresh with Ranibow Cup is the only interesting way

connachta wrote: »
    Well that's pretty much over in both conference even completing a full-season . 9 games left would mean Cardiff have to win 6 and Connacht 3, at worst case.
    Quite unlikely.

Triggering to only Cardiff and Scarlets fighting for 3rd, and on a lesser extent Glasgow and Dragons for 4th place European play-off away, really playing with smth at stake

For meaningful games, start fresh with Ranibow Cup is the only interesting way

That is of course saying that all the results which went the way they did would have happened that way if there had been a full season. Some matches because of the way this season has been set up were simply meaningless for there was nothing to play for. Even European qualification is not clear at present as we don't know for sure the format for next season's competition.

• Administrators Posts: 53,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

PMC83 wrote: »

Not very likely.

I don't think the ProWhatever will be on Eir next year. Back to FTA is my bet.

awec wrote: »
    Not very likely.

I don't think the ProWhatever will be on Eir next year. Back to FTA is my bet.
    With CVC onboard to sell the TV contract it won't be FTA. I can see them looking for one broadcaster for the UK and Ireland. If Sky or BT aren't interested it could all end up on Premier Sports.

• Administrators Posts: 53,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

With CVC onboard to sell the TV contract it won't be FTA. I can see them looking for one broadcaster for the UK and Ireland. If Sky or BT aren't interested it could all end up on Premier Sports.

I am not convinced it is working out for Premier Sports. They have always been very evasive about their subscriber figures.

Wouldn't be surprised if they don't renew, but then maybe they'll be offered it at a bargain price.

It's a pity they didn't put games on a Monday during this window. I enjoyed them.

Think there's a difference between the Pro14 being a bit of a farce in terms of the rugby; competitiveness and results and so on, and a Rainbow Cup being a farce in terms of public health during a global pandemic.

Dragons play Edinburgh after the Pro14 final.

Talk about being demoralising

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56171172

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Dragons play Edinburgh after the Pro14 final.

Talk about being demoralising

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56171172

I don't know what you're talking about it has all the makings of an excellent 10th place play off :pac:

Advertisement