Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty bvd samples

• 24-02-2021 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having trouble. Iv lost count of the empty tags this year. If anything I'm more careful. Still with eurotags. I'll have to switch. Getting to be abit of a joke. Are cormac better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭sandman30

visatorro wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble. Iv lost count of the empty tags this year. If anything I'm more careful. Still with eurotags. I'll have to switch. Getting to be abit of a joke. Are cormac better?

Could be to do with a faulty pin on the tagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

sandman30 wrote: »
    Could be to do with a faulty pin on the tagger.

There is no pin used on the bvd tagger, only pin is on the tag itself.

Try and keep sample pin upwards so sample can't fall out.

You could also shine a light down the pinhole to see if there is something in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

No empty samples here so far this year. What lab are you using? Was one sample that broke and I assumed that would be empty but it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Packrat

A lad I know always puts a tuft of ear hair in with the sample pin to be sure.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Had 1 empty with cormac since we started but I knew it was my own fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

You have to get through this years batch anyway so ring up Mullinahone, give them an earful and get them to send you a new tagger and see does that help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    No empty samples here so far this year. What lab are you using? Was one sample that broke and I assumed that would be empty but it

Was enfer but moved to Oldcastle. very frustrating
    What tag are you using?

Packrat wrote:

Does this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭tanko

After you tag the calf you could punch his ear again with the sample collector still in the taggers to make sure there's something in it.

whelan2 wrote:
    No empty samples here so far this year. What lab are you using? Was one sample that broke and I assumed that would be empty but it

Was enfer but moved to Oldcastle. very frustrating
    What tag are you using?

Mullinahone and enfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

It seems to be a bit random, had none empty last year, and several the year before.
    I often look into the pin before closing the sample tube and see absolutely nothing in it, and yet they are all sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Cormac here and no empty sample this year yet anyway. Sample bottle seals as you close the tag and tagger holds the sample bottle so very handy I find

Mooooo wrote: »
    Cormac here and no empty sample this year yet anyway. Sample bottle seals as you close the tag and tagger holds the sample bottle so very handy I find

Really good system. No fook acting with capsules and way smaller too for postage.

Don't drop one of them in the straw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Dunedin

orm0nd wrote: »
    Really good system. No fook acting with capsules and way smaller too for postage.

Don't drop one of them in the straw though.

I got of them holders you put around your wrist. Holds ten samples and find fierce handy as often loss the odd one beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Cormac tags here the last 3yrs and haven't had one empty in that time. With eurotags use to have afew every year.

Have to say I'm well impressed how fast enfer managed to get results back to me with my large batch last week, about 3working days from when I sent them in, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Was with mullinahone too but left 3 yrs ago aswell went to cormac I had 1 empty last year and phoned cormac answered straight away they told me that if the lab drops one and /or loses it they just say it was empty which makes sence to me

Cormac here too and pros being tagger a lot easier to use and samples come out done. Tags stay in as opposed to mullinahone and like the way the tags come in the set of 4. Great service too when ringing them and find the staff very friendly and helpful on the phone.

No cons really but would usually have maybe one per year that the sample might come out empty or broke a little

I don't think iv much choice really but to try cormac at least.

I don't think iv much choice really but to try cormac at least.

Did you get the new sample tags this year from mullinahone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Not going to mention the lab I use but I sent BVD samples close to Christmas. I had a hunch in the back of my mind that they might not have staff on that week. I double checked both samples and could see the skin tag inside.
    Got the text message back empty samples, I was raging but what could I do.
    At this stage I believe the whole thing to be a scam, and an a useless expense on farmers.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote:
    Did you get the new sample tags this year from mullinahone?

I ordered this springs tags off mullinahone. Didn't notice a difference tbh. Just more empties.

I ordered this springs tags off mullinahone. Didn't notice a difference tbh. Just more empties.

There's no fiddly cap on the new ones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭alps

Never had an empty sample...

Probably jinxed that now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

alps wrote: »
    Never had an empty sample...

Probably jinxed that now..

Neither have I, apart from the one time that I used the female side from the conventional tag and not from the BVD one. I've never understood the hate towards Allflex/Mullinahone, at least not since you can order online and no longer have to speak to the unpleasant lady in their office.

I've never understood the hate towards Allflex/Mullinahone, at least not since you can order online and no longer have to speak to the unpleasant lady in their office.

2 issues for me.

Tags falling out was the big one. Have lost one tag in 3-4 years with Cormac. Would lose 4-5 a year with mullinahone

Having to change the pin/puncher in the tagger from the ordinary tag to when doing the sample tag (maybe this has since changed). Kept losing the puncher so in the end just bought a second tagger. With Cormac it’s a one size fits all with the tagger and find even the tags seem to be sharper and go into the ear a lot easier.

Also, Cormac way quicker in sending out tags and office staff very friendly and helpful. (Is that 3 issues!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Dunedin wrote: »
    2 issues for me.

Tags falling out was the big one. Have lost one tag in 3-4 years with Cormac. Would lose 4-5 a year with mullinahone

Having to change the pin/puncher in the tagger from the ordinary tag to when doing the sample tag (maybe this has since changed). Kept losing the puncher so in the end just bought a second tagger. With Cormac it’s a one size fits all with the tagger and find even the tags seem to be sharper and go into the ear a lot easier.

Also, Cormac way quicker in sending out tags and office staff very friendly and helpful. (Is that 3 issues!!!)

Jaysus yet wan in the office compared to the cormac girls is chalk and cheese a great thing about the cormac tags are the 4 stuck together

lab man wrote: »
    Jaysus yet wan in the office compared to the cormac girls is chalk and cheese a great thing about the cormac tags are the 4 stuck together

4 tags together is fierce handy alright

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Packrat wrote: »

He must have fierce hairy ears

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    He must have fierce hairy ears

Must hurt too. Ever pull out a handful of nostril hair - not funny.

• Advertisement

. I've never understood the hate towards Allflex/Mullinahone, at least not since you can order online and no longer have to speak to the unpleasant lady in their office.

Remind me some day I have a half hour to spare and I'll answer that.

Advertisement