Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty bvd samples

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Are many people having trouble with empty samples this year?

Always use Mullinahone tags. I had one empty sample back in 2015, but this being my first year using EID tags I’m getting around 25% empty samples from the lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I’m with Cormac and on the EID tags and I’ve had no empties this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

With Mullinahone, haven't had an empty in years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Eid should have nothing to with the sample tag. Use cormac here and haven't had empties in a few years. Would always tag the ear with which 8 have better control using sample tag to make sure anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

A little off topic, but I’m about to start on the EID tags… Are they supposed to go in a specific ear, or does it matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I rang Cormac tags to ask to be sure. Said it didn't matter unless your using a EID system on the farm and want a specific ear tagged

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Not a 100 % on this as I don't have an auto feeder but I believe the reader for the tags is on the left side.our crush the wall is on the right so we have been putting them on the left with years

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

2 empty eurotags so far this year, never had one before. I reckon there's a new intern in the lab. How many more years have we to put up with this racket? At least now the dept of aggravation are restricting the messers with +ives.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Really frustrating. In all the years of testing only ever had one empty, and that in the very first year. It has me second guessing myself now when 1 in 4 samples comes back as empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭ginger22

for our jfc auto feeder the reader is on the right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Do they need to be that close to read the tags?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Many phones can read them.called near field recognition I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

What lab. I'd an empty for the first time (enfer) last week and there was definitely tissue in the bottle. Cormac tag.

How do you go about getting another sample tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

We’d 1 this year with Eurotags, you can buy a replacement BVD tag which comes out quick enough and retest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Had 10 samples go missing 2 years ago with enfer. Had to order sample kits,re tag these Suckler calves, post and get the results back. To rub salt to the wounds, got a call 3 weeks later saying that they had 10 samples( the one that went missing) and that they had insufficient funds in their online account to test them. Well i stuck into them firmly,but professional. Got them to refund for the 10 missing samples, tags and the cost of the registered post for the posting of the re samples kits. Threatened to go to the small claims court, and look for the above and a labour cost for retagging.

Im truly sick of this money racket

25 samples sent on Monday. Results back this morning, 6 more empty. 13 so far this spring😡

6 empty in 1 go?

Yes. Of the 24 samples 18 returned negative while 6 were deemed empty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Sounds like a tagger problem, ring up your supplier and ask them to send you a new one foc

If the tags are going into the animal's ear, what could the problem be with the tagger? L at least you are consistent with a 25% 😮 empty rate. Are you doing the tagging yourself? I haven't used any EID tags yet, not looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Micey.ie

Could be cutter missing or fell off

Aren't the bvd taggers a different taggers to the eid ones? We use 2 sets of taggers here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

I’ve never had an empty sample in over 300 tags. I always look to make sure there a sample there and if I’m not sure i punch the sample bit of the tag through the ear again and it takes another one. Also turn the taggers upside down before closing into the wee bottle.

Ive been looking at the tags and I think I've worked out what I'm doing wrong.

I have a system. BVD tag goes in at birth and the second tag goes in when I’m dehorning. That way I can look the pen of calves and see who needs dehorning and who’s been in the crate already. But now the calves are on an automatic feeder so I need the EID tag in too. So I started pairing the EID tag with the BVD sampler. And there’s my mistake.

The BVD front tag has a green membrane to push through so a bit of resistance to help cut the ear sample. The EID tag has no membrane. So pure luck that the cutter was taking an ear sample at all.

Only 1 empty in 7 years and 13 this years because of my stupidity.

Massive 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for the heads up. A problem shared........

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jack C

Anyone having empty bvd samples. Just done 21, Eurotags,.. had 4 empties. 12 of the tags were the latest tags with the sample bottle with the blue top, and the 4 empties were all from this batch. The ones from the older batch were fine. I was careful when tagging to keep the sampling part facing up to prevent sample from falling out.

Should I be looking for free replacement tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

is everyone using the white insert for the euro tags taggers? I had a couple of empty’s this year and I was told it was the cause,and that a lot of people hadn’t put them in and it was causing hassle.
    it seemed by the way she was talking on the phone that she was well used to getting an earful about the tags, ( this was with mullinahone).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I got the white insert cost €1 along with some replacement tags. There was a credit of €2.48 on the account, where ever that came from.

Advertisement