Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »
    Some of those yanks are gas over on the CRTGaming subreddit - they'll go on and on about how 'composite is good enough' and how RGB is 'elitist' because they all seem to think that the only way of getting that type of signal is via a PVM.

I love pointing out to them that even our ****test of **** TVs have it by default :pac:
    Just point them towards this, might blow their minds :D RGB, cheap?! (on crappy non-SCART US CRTs)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Done a bit of work on my Mister setup, its been lying in the drawer used for ages. Got it mainly for computer emulation, the consoles are handy bonus but its a pain to take out and be setting up everytime I wanted to use not to mention the case was crap - all the mister case are crap/ugly from what I can see.

I did try a couple of 3d printed computer cases as well, but they also looked hmm crappy 3d printed as well, then came across this project which was perfect for my needs. He's created a bunch of 3d printed parts that fit perfectly and provide mountings for all the new hardware so its completely reversible should I want to stick the original A600 board back in.

I used the open source qmk firmware instead of buying a keyrah though as I already that the right microcontroller, not as pretty but a lot cheaper :)

Still needs a bit or work, case needs a bit of retrobrighting and I'll probably add a VGA/RGB and audio outputs as well for use with CRT's.

Really surprised with the improvement in the ao486 core, its now perfect for early 90's DOS games.

50973123192_a496619508_z.jpg

50973018141_55f0fa9a7a_z.jpg

50973123242_ea9c29a524_z.jpg

50972327998_ec04c16422_z.jpg

Done a bit of work on my Mister setup, its been lying in the drawer used for ages. Got it mainly for computer emulation, the consoles are handy bonus but its a pain to take out and be setting up everytime I wanted to use not to mention the case was crap - all the mister case are crap/ugly from what I can see.

I did try a couple of 3d printed computer cases as well, but they also looked hmm crappy 3d printed as well, then came across this project which was perfect for my needs. He's created a bunch of 3d printed parts that fit perfectly and provide mountings for all the new hardware so its completely reversible should I want to stick the original A600 board back in.

I used the open source qmk firmware instead of buying a keyrah though as I already that the right microcontroller, not as pretty but a lot cheaper :)

Still needs a bit or work, case needs a bit of retrobrighting and I'll probably add a VGA/RGB and audio outputs as well for use with CRT's.

Really surprised with the improvement in the ao486 core, its now perfect for early 90's DOS games.
    Looks great...but the 4th image is sacrilegious :D

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Looks great...but the 4th image is sacrilegious :D

Bit of trolling there alright :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

IMG-20210223-161212-9.jpg

I'm looking to connect a Sega model 2b filter board up to a joypad (like the connection in the picture), or even better to have a connection that uses a Saturn joypad.

Would anybody here have the parts to whip that together? I have a suitcase of bison dollars ready to exchange :)

• Advertisement

Another mod done, new LCD for my Game Gear to replace the original broken screen.
    Now, this is a mod I really didn't want to have to do as I'm not a fan of these screen upgrades unless the console is actually going to be used regularly as you do lose a huge amount of originally with this upgrade I think.

Not prettiest of work but functional..

50975825988_42b58eb3dc_z.jpg

50975825873_3953b3b17b_z.jpg

New glass screen lens arrived cracked so still using the original dirty/scratched original one for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

IPS screen and a rechargeable battery added to my old GBA along with a new case to replace the old one that was in rough shape.

Significantly enhances the experience not having to hold it at awkward angles looking for light.

15K1hJ.jpg

CV5XDr.jpg

must figure out a more permanent mounting for the charging board one of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Inviere

Very nice, I'm thinking of going through my handhelds and doing various mods to them to bring them up to speed. Where did you buy the parts for this mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Tchoin

Hello folks, would you know if there's any local reliable mod/repair service around?

I have a few things in need of repair which I don't dare tinker around myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Inviere wrote: »
    Very nice, I'm thinking of going through my handhelds and doing various mods to them to bring them up to speed. Where did you buy the parts for this mod?

I just picked the parts up on ebay.
    At this point they're all fairly generic.

I'd recommend getting a case with your screen though as you'll have to modify the old case the fit the new panel whereas if you buy the case its already pre-cut perfectly for you.
    Will spare you a significant headache.

You can buy premade batteries they are drop in replacements for the AA's but I couldn't bring myself to pay that much as they're fairly expensive for what they are. If you're comfortable soldering you can build it yourself for a tenth of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Inviere

I just picked the parts up on ebay.
    At this point they're all fairly generic.

I'd recommend getting a case with your screen though as you'll have to modify the old case the fit the new panel whereas if you buy the case its already pre-cut perfectly for you.
    Will spare you a significant headache.

You can buy premade batteries they are drop in replacements for the AA's but I couldn't bring myself to pay that much as they're fairly expensive for what they are. If you're comfortable soldering you can build it yourself for a tenth of the price.

Super, thanks for the info :)

Another consoles ODE'd , Xstation installed in a Playstation. Straightforward to install, the quick-solder-board really does speed up and simplify the process.
    Just need to get a working sdcard extension now as the one I have is wrecked :(

51049250281_c17222cb0b_z.jpg

51049250196_873f789879_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

A few problematic address lines were to blame. Everything seems to be okay for now... I'm so happy, I love this toploader!

Almost fixed...
    550040.jpeg

Fixed!!
    550039.jpg
    I RGB modded this toploader NES in Sept and in Dec, it started showing corrupted visuals when I first turned it on, but that went away if I left it powered on for a bit and reset.

Then it plain stopped working at all so I figured I'd recap it.

Recapped and my original test game, Snake Rattle N Roll, wouldn't boot, but a few other Famicom and NES games would show something like the pic below.

I'm thinking of checking all PPU address/data pins first, as it looks like it's looking up wrong palettes and tile info but this is super vexing as it was fine for months and I played the crap out of it. It quickly became my favourite console and looking at eBay prices, I got a bargain buying it from this forum!

(Excuse the widescreen, it's that stupid 5V on the mode pin that Retro Gaming Cables to. It needs to be 12V for 4:3 for why bother?)

542090.jpeg

I killed my first console in a long time. I was modding a SNES 101 I got cheapish on eBay to sell on and had to dash out of the room to get something.

When I came back, I picked up the board and felt a zap. Games no longer loading.

All I'd done otherwise was tap RGB from vias, and that all looks okay but will need to inspect further.

So annoyed at myself for being careless, I feel less guilty buying more junk consoles when I can offset the cost a bit.

This one's on the backlog shelf for a long time now.

SNES consoles have a fuse which tend to go pop before anything get fried in the console, worth checking before you shelf it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAHJ-sOoFsA

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Piattos22

Anybody here that does work for an Original Famicom (AV modded)? Just got one off adverts, but apparently the guy that did the mod for it never accounted for the expansion audio, none of the expansion audio works.

In my latest calamity, I'm faced with a Saturn that won't boot games. It wouldn't boot games from it's original CD ROM, even after trying to boost the power a bit, it wouldn't boot games from eddhorse's kindly donated CD ROM (sorry ed :(), and it won't boot from a Fenrir.

I DM'd the Fenrir creator on Twitter and he was helpful enough, suggesting that while it'll play audio CDs, data is a different set of pins so he told me what I could check in terms of traces.

Opened the Saturn to find an epoxy mess. I guess I'll trace the wires but le shrug. I bought it from a place in the UK around 2005, and from 2010 to 2020 it sat in my parent's attic along with loads of other retro treasures. This is the only system that's failed on me.

553449.JPG

It's a big ask, but does anyone in the Dublin vicinity have a VA0 Saturn that uses a 20 pin ribbon cable who would at least verify the Fenrir works so I can decide about throwing the Saturn in the bin and getting a nice grey Japanese one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

That's a shame, unless you can find out more about that mod from online images.
    Maybe from finding out the names of the pins they are using.

I do have a white japanese saturn but its not 20 pin. has a power supply issue i need to sort.

EDIT : That sortof looks like a switchless region free mod, probably a chip on the underside of the board.
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.consolesunleashed.com%2Fsites%2Fall%2Ffiles%2Fstyles%2Fbody%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fguides%2Fsega-saturn-va13-switchless-region-mod-install-guide%2Fsega-saturn-va13-switchless-region-mod-solder-map.jpg%3Fitok%3DvHQ5V9SB&f=1&nofb=1

The wires are for a 50/60Hz and region switch. They do work as expected, so I'm gonna try and work around it for now and trace what the Fenrir creator suggested.

What a nightmare, I want to play Radiant Silvergun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Actually i did have an issue with the newly supplied Fenrir 20 pin cable, i had to use my old one. If that helps

• Advertisement

Yeah, willing to try anything. I’ve got three ribbon cables now!

Added MIDI & Wifi support to my Mister in an Amiga 600 case. Really liking this platform, the Amiga support is great now with RTG enabled and the new shared folder support so you can ftp files straight onto the Amiga disk.

MIDI on the PC core sounds excellent, not configured it for the Amiga or Atari yet. Its using a PI3 running mt32-pi to handle all the MIDI stuff.

51189840733_53a5cbaa48_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Anyone recommend a site to buy rgb mod kits for famicom, twin famicon and pc engine thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Burzum wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a site to buy rgb mod kits for famicom, twin famicon and pc engine thanks.

Well here's an easy solution for your PC Engine, just buy one of these RGB cables that taps it from the back. I've been using one for years and it works great.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174768420385?hash=item28b1027621:g:UtQAAOxyaRZR2X4C

Burzum wrote: »

I bought a NESRGB from oldskoolconsoles.com, but it was a few months before Brexit made ordering from the UK annoying from a tax pov.

That kit works on the Famicom and Twin Famicom, there's a dropdown to select which type so the right extra pieces like adapter boards and power board replacements are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Nice one ty shall gander and order

I bought a NESRGB from oldskoolconsoles.com, but it was a few months before Brexit made ordering from the UK annoying from a tax pov.

That kit works on the Famicom and Twin Famicom, there's a dropdown to select which type so the right extra pieces like adapter boards and power board replacements are included.
    +1 for oldskoolconsoles.com - but yea, now there be some chance of import tax fun.

Mod In France is another authorised reseller of the NESRGB for the Famis/NES units but in the EU so avoiding that tax risk.

Master of the Universe

God damn it! One of my CPS1 A boards is on the fritz.

Was playing Mercs and noticed that when you used a Mega Crush, rather than the screen going white, it would momentarily show a slightly different coloured palette.

There's also a black feint flicker going through the image. It looks like the type of interference you get when you have two CRTs on together, doesn't go away with the cab next to it is switched off and it doesn't impact any other games.

Fairly certain it's just a cap gone out of spec.

I see that lad I bought a cap kit for one of my monitor chassis years back has a cap kit for these, only 12 caps!

https://console5.com/store/capcom-cps1-a-board-cap-kit-a-pcb-cps-1.html

I think sometime soon I'm going to take all of my PCBs down out of the attic, figure out which ones I genuinely want and flog the rest on AO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think sometime soon I'm going to take all of my PCBs down out of the attic, figure out which ones I genuinely want and flog the rest to Gradius.

Good idea!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Gradius wrote: »
    Good idea!

I think the main delay so far has been the fear in powering them up again :eek:

Every time I bring one down, something seems to go bad... going to start with Turtles in Time and Game Tengoku as I don't want either of them anymore and they're worth a few quid. Will have to say my prayers to the gods of capacitors and aging ROMs..!

/Edit - I missed that cheeky post edit :D:D

Advertisement