Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2021

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nole beating Nadal at RG should not at all be a surprise.

Last year’s score was kind of flattering.

And it was last year. It’s gone. In the past..

Same way their previous 4-5 FO meetings are in the past. One of them in 2015 I think, was a clear Nole win..

They have had a few very very closely fought FO matches..

Nadal is probably going to be slightly less better this coming May compared to Sept/Oct last year...

Nole absolutely has a strong chance at RG..

whiterebel wrote: »
    How can there be an article like that without considering Laver, Emerson and Rosewall? If Laver was at his peak when he was banned from the Slams, how many of those 20 would he have won to add to his 11? Also had 8 doubles slams. Emerson had 16 doubles slams to add to the 12 singles. McEnroe had 9 doubles to go with his 7 singles slams, but limited to US and Wimbledon, couldn't win FO. Won his last slam at 25. Borg had 11 between FO and Wimbledon, couldn't win the US in 4 attempts and didn't bother with Australia like Mac. Retired at 26.
    Fed was chasing Connor's record of 109 singles titles, yet Laver has closer to 200.
    There seems to be a concerted effort in the media to ignore anything before the Open era. Davis Cup seemed a lot more important in the 70s and 80s, and there were quite a few banned for playing in different tours. It seems to be one of the most difficult sports to judge, because of the various upheavals down through the years.

Because the game has come on leaps and bounds since the olden days

Like watching different sports..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Augme

Also the traditional May weather will favour Nadal compared to last year's October time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

In a poor generation (as the players from 23 - 30 appear to be) if one dominant player comes along (after the big 3 retire) he could quite easily pass anything Djokovic, Nadal or Federer have/ will ever achieve simply through lack of competition, but, would that really make him better than any of these 3 who have robbed slams from one another?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Not only that but Djokovic has won all the masters Twice!
    walshb wrote: »
    Great read...

So much to consider... no clear GOAT

So, for me it comes down to tennis beauty/genius/effortlessness and skills with a tennis racquet. Bit like Ronnie in snooker, it’s Roger in tennis. Nobody ever did it better...

Of the criteria in the article, the one that kind of stood out for me was Nole being the only man to win ALL masters 1000 titles.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

josip wrote: »
    It's Hector's coping strategy :)
    He believes that if he says one thing, the gods will deliver the other.
    He really wants Djoko to end up on the 23/24 and Nadal to stay stuck on 20.
    But he's worried that if he says that, he'll hex it.
    Not making fun of Hector for this, a lot of people talk down their own teams' chances before games.

;) Got it in one!!

But seriously you might think Djokovic is easily winning etc, but he is hanging on, he's not as dominant here as Nadal is in RG.

He almost lost to Fritz, Raonic and Zverev he struggled a bit too..

Admittedly his last 2 matches were easy enough, but he is hanging on just ahead of injuries, only a matter of time that they become too much for him.

Great read...

So much to consider... no clear GOAT

So, for me it comes down to tennis beauty/genius/effortlessness and skills with a tennis racquet. Bit like Ronnie in snooker, it’s Roger in tennis. Nobody ever did it better...

Of the criteria in the article, the one that kind of stood out for me was Nole being the only man to win ALL masters 1000 titles.....

at least twice ....

josip wrote: »
    Sorry for undermining your attempt.
    Hector, I'd also be interested if you could explain your thinking behind 2 more for Djokovic.
    I'd agree with your Nadal estimate.

As I explained in my post a few above, he is hanging on .... that stat of him winning the last 6/10 slams is a bit misleading, 10 slams ago is almost 2 years ago.

His strongest slams are Wimbledon and AO, US he hasn't won since 2018, I'd give him one more Wimbledon and 1 AO, by then we are at AO2023 .... God knows what shape his body will be in by then ... I guess he could pick up another USO, but that's a tricky one ...

Nadal for me only has RG to try add to for slams...

He will be there or thereabouts at Flushing Meadow, but I'd think it very unlikely he wins it

Nole has very good chances at RG, SW19 and U.S this year

Nadal has only a slight chance at SW19 and U.S.

And I stand my my prediction that Nole wins RG this year ahead of Nadal.

Nadal for me only has RG to try add to for slams...

He will be there or thereabouts at Flushing Meadow, but I'd think it very unlikely he wins it

Nole has very good chances at RG, SW19 and U.S this year

Nadal has only a slight chance at SW19 and U.S.

And I stand my my prediction that Nole wins RG this year ahead of Nadal.

Thanked for everything bar the last line .... hope I'm wrong tho :)

• Advertisement

One of the more ridiculous takes I've seen on Boards recently and that's saying something! We saw what happened at last years FO when an undercooked Nadal utterly destroyed Djokovic. Put aside the recency bias, Novak ain't winning the French again. Injury, followed by Thiem is a bigger threat to Nadal at that now.

Waiting for my apology here...:P

This post in reply to me saying that Nole should be favorite for Paris, and that Rafa will not win RG 2021.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116362141

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Waiting for my apology here...:P

This post in reply to me saying that Nole should be favorite for Paris, and that Rafa will not win RG 2021.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116362141
    No apology but fair play, a great call by you! One that very few predicted at the time. I hope you put a few quid on him back when you made this prediction, would have been very generous odds :)

Fair play Walshb !!! :D

Delighted you were correct!!

Advertisement