Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Targets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

No time/distance goals. Just get back running and posting regularly again.

That would make my year......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

martyboy48 wrote: »
    No time/distance goals. Just get back running and posting regularly again.

That would make my year......

And mine, get back on the horse......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Must admit I hadn't given it much thought if I'm honest. My own running (plodding :o) got fairly aimless during lockdown with all the events being cancelled. Just to get a bit of motivation going, I took all the race refunds & picked up a much newer Garmin watch (old one got sold to help with the cost as well).

It has a suggested workout for me everyday so I've been following those for the last month, definitely has helped a bit. Hopefully will be running DCM with a friend this year so at the very least I'll have to be able to keep pace with him, will figure that out later in the year.

If anybody was listening to the last few episodes of Marathon Talk, two of the regulars (Tom Williams & Tony Audenshaw) have left. He was always talking about an event in the UK called the Bullock Smithy which I'm currently mulling over for September as have given up on Comrades for this year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Want to improve across all distances. Hopefully there will be a few races in the second half of the year.

Still have 3kgs to shift around my gut. Working from home is killing me in that regard.

400m PB 75 Target 70
    1km PB 3:47 Target 3:30
    Mile PB 6:40 Target 6:29
    5K PB 21:51 Target 21:00
    10k PB 47:38 Target 46:30
    10mile PB 1:24:24 Target 1:20:00
    half marathon PB 1:56:41 Target 1:49:59

Also to keep up with the core strenghtening and conditioning exercises picked up on all my physio trips. This is perhaps my biggest challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Seeing as it is being held on the 6th of June, I had been looking at the Cork Marathon as D day for a return to some normality, but am less confident that it will go ahead every time I see the recent case numbers.

Was following a 10k plan with Garmin and completed that on Jan 1st with was meant to be a quick run, but nearly going arse over tits on a slippy path put paid to that plan.

Considered following another plan to keep me motivated, until I saw mention of the Ray Darcy Laura Lynn challenge and so have signed up to do that. Will train for Cork as if it is happening in June, to keep the miles up for the challenge and keep up my fitness, as I would be confident of beating my Parkrun, 10K, 10Miles and Half Marathon PB's were I able to get to enter any races this year, as I beat them all during runs over the lockdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

Sub 20 five k, I am very close 20:13 last year
    Sub 41 for the 10k, I was lucky enough to get a race in London in early December and hit 42:13
    1:34 Half marathon
    3:30 for the marathon if I get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

• Run more consistently.
    • Lose more weight.
    • Have a few goes at the mile time from last May.
    • When things open up, i.e. parkruns restart, have a real go at my 28:35.
    • Might have a go at a sub 60 10k
    • Sort out the injury woes. Probably related to the weight. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

quick feet wrote: »
    Distance|Current PB|Target|Result
    Marathon| 3:14:55|3:00:00|
    800m|2:19.20|2:12.00|
    1 Mile|5:21|5:00|
    5k|18:21|18:00|
    10k|39:39|38:30|
    Half|1:26:20|1:24:30|

I'm putting more emphasis on the shorter distances.. I ran a graded met last year which I enjoyed, I hope to try a few more once track races resume..

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eposhea

Try to stay injury free - currently investigating a sore heel (worrying)

*Run total on 2200kms - Marathon distance a week on average - max for me was 1500km in 2019 - if consistent (and smart), should do it
    *PB (Sub 41) in 10km - currently 41.20 - The Rose of Tralee 10k - absolutely love that race!
    *PB (Sub 19) in 5km - currently 19.26
    *FINALLY go Sub 4 for Full Marathon - 3 attempts and 4.12 is PB (Kills me)
    *Ironman 70.3 - August
    *Kerry Way Lite - September (First Ultra)
    *DCM - October (deferred from 2020)

Other than that, am hesitant to book any races happening before July at the earliest. Not a fan of the Cork Marathon myself (only ran once), but would like another marathon in May if poss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Mainly to keep enjoying running.
    Also a few PBs would be nice.

Sub 22min 5k should be very achievable I think. PB is 22:04 from about 3 years ago,but did a 22:14 a few weeks ago on a whim, just decided to go out and do Time trial.

Sub 45 10km current 48:12
    Sub 1:45 half current 1:52
    Sub 4 Marathon current 4:20

While the above are current PBs they aren’t current in when they were set. I don’t race often(no one is at the moment I know!) but I could probably beat all those current PBs right now (maybe not the full Marathon,wouldn’t have the endurance to run a full right now)but don’t do time trials often enough. So that is probably another goal of mine to test myself more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

eposhea wrote: »
    Try to stay injury free - currently investigating a sore heel (worrying)

*Run total on 2200kms - Marathon distance a week on average - max for me was 1500km in 2019 - if consistent (and smart), should do it
    *PB (Sub 41) in 10km - currently 41.20 - The Rose of Tralee 10k - absolutely love that race!
    *PB (Sub 19) in 5km - currently 19.26
    *FINALLY go Sub 4 for Full Marathon - 3 attempts and 4.12 is PB (Kills me)
    *Ironman 70.3 - August
    *Kerry Way Lite - September (First Ultra)
    *DCM - October (deferred from 2020)

Other than that, am hesitant to book any races happening before July at the earliest. Not a fan of the Cork Marathon myself (only ran once), but would like another marathon in May if poss.

Your 5k and 10k times suggest that a sub 4 hr marathon is well within your compass. I reckon an increase in mileage will get you there. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eposhea

Your 5k and 10k times suggest that a sub 4 hr marathon is well within your compass. I reckon an increase in mileage will get you there. Best of luck

Cheers for the vote in confidence!! :D

I agree - my lack of consistency and increasing mileage is what holds me back. I always feel great up to the 30km mark and all falls to poop from there - being consistent with mileage will hopefully do the trick.

Hoping to log a lot of KMs in the mountains/trails this year too - should build up the legs a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

I’d love to:

Run 100km a week (or at least hit 5000km for the year) - Day 9 and on 131km :)

Get back to sub 20:00 5k - hit 18:59 last year, can’t seem to hit below 4:00m at all since. Was out injured for a couple months last summer.

Half Marathon - would like to do this sub 1hr 28m. PB is 1:28:58

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lost4Life

For me, 2021 is all about continuing the consistency with training plan and staying injury free.

I’ve got PB’s across most distances in 2020, so want to achieve this again in 2021.

1 mile: Sub 5 mins (PB: 5.13 within a 5k)
    3km Sub 10 mins (No recent time)
    5km Sub 17 mins (PB 17.30 time trial Nov ‘20)
    10km Sub 37 min (PB 39.18 time trial Dec ‘20 on hilly trails)
    Half: Sub 1hr 23 min (PB 1:32 Feb ‘20)

Ambitious goals, but believe I can achieve them. Second half of 2020 has seen a vast improvement in performances so hope to carry this into ‘21.

Fingers crossed we get some races to get official PB’s, instead of club time trials.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Be able to run consistently in general - this is very reliant on my body finally deciding to behave itself.

If I can be consistent, I would like to get back to a stage where I can comfortably do a 10-12km long run regularly - even at a slower than 7 min/km pace.

Basically I just want to be fit, healthy and running regularly again because the last 10 months can quite literally go to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Decent start to the year. Clocked up 270km last month (one week was 37k as a drop down). 5 runs a week with 1-2 interval sessions per week. Only missed one interval session due to ice and snow- just not possible. Air temperature can drop to -7c.

Diet and eating has not been good...too much junk and left over chocolate etc from Christmas so got to knuckle down this month.

Was given a 5k TT last Saturday week. Same route as last time back in October which clocked in with a PB at 20:07.

Only ran 5k route 5 times last year (Parkrun x 2; Interval session with back to back 5ks flat out and then the TT). Very low expectations. So low I was just hoping to get it done under 22mins. Atrocious conditions and well below freezing- ice everywhere. Came to a downright stop at one stage going around a sharp bend and had to jump up on the grass a few times to avoid iced puddles and walkers & dogs.

Unbelievably came home in 19:29...which is a massive PB. While I dry heaved twice at the finished line there is room to knock more off..I have felt a lot worse during TTs in the past.

Now for the 10k and HM. Have not run a 10k road race since Oct 2017 at 44:something so under 42 is the target. HM PB is 1:34 and that was in the middle of a marathon so under 1:30 is the target.

Fcuk me it's hard getting out these dark evenings. 270km and all solo runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Hoping to get 2000km for the year and at least one marathon (2 if things open up). Main goal is to increase S&C to 3/4 times a week (from 1). I managed for Jan and feel stronger already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

- complete a half marathon (either virtual or fingers crossed for a return to normality later in year)
    - cover > 100km distance every month
    - sub 25 min 5k

Oh God...I have a pyramid session tonight.

Solo interval speed session around a quiet housing estate. Weather is forecast at -3 and 'feels like' -7.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

4Ad wrote: »
    Remain (serious) injury free.

Complete a hill/trail marathon, doesn't even have to be a race.

And hopefully get to run another marathon abroad, preferably somewhere warmish !!!

Completed my hill/ trail marathon today, 12 O Clock hills in East Clare..Thrilled with myself
    It was more hard mentally than physically. 4hr 22 with over 1400 mts of gain (pain)..
    Only 1 fall, damn tree roots.

As I was finishing I was thinking about my next challenge, typical runner !!

Having a nice red wine to celebrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

joxer1988 wrote: »
    A target for a relative rookie!

5K - sub 21:00 (PB 24:20)
    10K - sub 45:00 (PB unknown)

Hi all, some progress here. New pb in 5K is 23.22, and I did it in -15 weather (O Canada). Excited to see if I can keep progressing as the summer comes in and other hobbies restart...

Had my 4th 2hr Sunday steady aerobic run of the year yesterday (25k exactly)...finally starting to feel normal. Helped that I fuelled properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

want to be back running 5km un under 18mins... currently doing it in 26, but just back on the road again after a long absence

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

PB’d my 5km there yesterday by 25 seconds so that’s one goal already down for the year, though I suppose I need to set another 5km goal now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭event

event wrote: »
    My Target times

10k - 42:59 - PB is 43:01
    Marathon - 3:37:59 - PB is 3:38:21

But ideally, I need to get myself back to motivated to run.

I have also signed up to my first Try-a-Tri in June so I need to learn how to swim really.

So hadnt set it as a target but set a new 5k PB today, 20:41. Delighted.
    Am going to do a 5k specific plan now and see how it goes in 8 weeks.

Then will look at the 10k

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I only started running a few weeks ago (Currently on week 6 / run 3 of Couch to 5K) and my first target is to run the 5k without breaks and then its to run it under 30 mins. Currently doing a km in 6:30 / 7 mins so a gently push should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I only started running a few weeks ago (Currently on week 6 / run 3 of Couch to 5K) and my first target is to run the 5k without breaks and then its to run it under 30 mins. Currently doing a km in 6:30 / 7 mins so a gently push should do it.

Best of luck with the journey. Hope to see you in various running/race threads posting about PBs :)

Alicano wrote: »
    Best of luck with the journey. Hope to see you in various running/race threads posting about PBs :)

Cheers thank you, don't know about races at my age (46) but do hope to do a few 5k road races when they resume. Done 4kms in my 25minute session last night so very happy with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

startrek56 wrote: »
    want to be back running 5km un under 18mins... currently doing it in 26, but just back on the road again after a long absence

not a great start, was only running about 2 weeks, all good getting better, bought a new pair of runners and pulled/strained my calf on first run after about 500m!! :(

• Advertisement

Alicano wrote: »

Following on from this, my last few runs have all been around the 6:15m/km mark but on Wednesday out of the blue I done a 5:41m/km against the wind and in the rain!! Wasn't even trying to run that fast, now to do it for all the kms of the run!!!

Advertisement