Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

2021 Targets

124»

Comments

• Half year update. In order of priority -
    1. Get an actual plan (for 800 m) starting from January 1st and stick to it. Okay, I didn't start until the 18th of January. But I did it and so completed my first structured training plan.
    2. 800 m - Sub 2:10 (current best 2:12(13 or 14)ish). Ran 2:08 at the end of the training plan in April.
    3. Mile - Sub 4:50 (current best 4:57). No efforts made yet this year.
    4. 3 K - Sub 10:00 (current best 10:02). Managed 9:46 last weekend.
    5. 5 K - Sub 17:00 (current best 17:17). Had a go during the Boards TT but only managed 17:13.
    6. 10 K - 36:30 (current best 36:45). A surprising 35:58 on a windy May day.
    7. 10 mile - Sub 60 (current best 60:59). Definitely don't have the stomach for this at the moment. This will be an end of year smash and grab effort.
    8. Join a club. Pending
    9. Avoid the GAA junior D draft. Paid club membership but registered as a non playing member. The squad sounds like it's heaving this year. I'm optimistic my services will not be requested.

4/9. Halfwayish at the halfway point in the year.

• I ran this morning for the first time in about eight years. I've been pretty hardcore in cycling in that time, but lately work has demanded more hours due to people leaving and I'm doing an evening course so I thought running would be the best way to get in the best workout at 7am before work starts.

I thought a fair base goal would be to be able to do a 5km in 30mins, My body has a lot of adjusting to do as the entire sensation and load of running is totally different to cycling but it would be nice to be a bit more versatile with my fitness, not really sure how quickly I'll progress but with my base fitness from cycling I'll probably attempt the 5k at some point next week. Just doing 2-3km jogs with the other half for the first few days!

• Had started the year hoping to better some of my PB's and thankfully I did, bar my Marathon PB which I reckon I'll need a race for. So for the rest of the year I hope to get close to 4-10 for 1K, break 7mins for the Mile, under 23mins for a parkrun, under 47mins for a 10K (I've got under 1-30 for a 10Mile but garmin desn't rate 10 miles?) and finally under 1-50 for a half marathon. I'd like to break 4-20 for a marathon, 4-29-50 is my current best (Dub 2019)

Cream on top would be getting over 2000 miles for the year

554639.png

• Oymyakon wrote: »
    I ran this morning for the first time in about eight years. I've been pretty hardcore in cycling in that time, but lately work has demanded more hours due to people leaving and I'm doing an evening course so I thought running would be the best way to get in the best workout at 7am before work starts.

I thought a fair base goal would be to be able to do a 5km in 30mins, My body has a lot of adjusting to do as the entire sensation and load of running is totally different to cycling but it would be nice to be a bit more versatile with my fitness, not really sure how quickly I'll progress but with my base fitness from cycling I'll probably attempt the 5k at some point next week. Just doing 2-3km jogs with the other half for the first few days!

Did the 5k this morning - 31 mins with a couple of stops. The body has already adjusted to the impact of running and I feel my form has already improved. Next target is to do 5k without stopping, maybe sub 28 mins!

• Half-year update:
    crisco10 wrote: »
    My goals for 2021 are very much process as opposed to outcome, also the year is clearly split in 3.

Jan - April; keep good steady mileage of at least 40km a week, if COVID allows do a 5k race

Had one "bad" week before C was born. Didn't get a race or TT in, but not my fault. I'll put this one down as achieved!

April - October; after (fingers crossed) the new addition to the family, maintain as best I can running as life changes in ways I can't imagine now.

So far so good on this, after a messy April and early May, my mileage is returning to approx 40 to 50km per week which is pretty good I think. What is missing is a) intensity and b) particularly long runs. It's just easier to get out every day for ~7km rather than easy and hard/long days.

Partially Achieved.
    October - December; Work double buggy running into my training. :-)

Let's see. The double buggy is in the hall, and has been tested for running with just E. T minus 3 months until C is big enough to go for a run.

• Advertisement

• Havent posted here since May:

In the last month brought 5k down to 19.17 and a relay event last Friday week brought 2 mile time down to 11.49. Didnt realise I could do one sub 6 let alone 2 back to back- I was shagged though.

Advertisement